Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (46477 Views)

Pictures From The Top 3 New Federal Universities / A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / Can I Get A Job Or Do A Masters Programme With Third Class In Industrial Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
Making 2.2 and third class in school depends more on the disposition of students during their university days and less on their level of intelligence. An intelligent person may not be able to cope with the university system for many reasons:

1. He/she may not be interested in d course he is offered. Such person would be thinking of rewriting Jamb. He might do it actually without admission. By d time he would sit tight to refocus on d course he had on ground already, he is already in 200-300level.

2. Frustrations from lecturers. Some lecturers are very wicked. They serve you result as they wish. They decide who passes well and who fails.

3. Poverty is another factor. Some may not have money to purchase compulsory workbooks and handouts.

4. Psychological problem is another problem. Some are being affected psychologically somehow perhaps after father or mother's death.

5. Some people get disinterested in what they ate studying because they have a talent they wanted to explore. Some of them tend to pull out even before the end of their courses.

6. Some are attacked spiritually by their parent's rivals. They write exams very well but just keep wondering why they aren't getting results.

7. Many fall sick often. They visit the clinic often and are admitted. They miss impromptu tests and even exams as a result.

8. Some people get very religiously involved, pushing their own responsibilities upon their creator. They fail woefully because of what they refused to do--studying.

9. Some join bad gangs, partying and rioting, thus having no time to study.

With these few points of mine, I have been able to convince you that...em, em...what is the topic sef? undecided

6 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Aug 27, 2014
Brilliance + hardwork + CRAMMING + consistency + discipline + luck + other variables (kind of school, socioeconomic, God etc) = FIRST CLASS ....

I am speaking frm experience.
Pls any knowledgeable undergrad or grad could add to dis equation

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Kentnickole(m): 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
Adedayo516: can you define what you meant by "smart"?

Smart means:

Grade A = N5000 N10,000
Grade B = N4000 N8,000
Grade C = N3000 N6,000
Grade D = N2000 N4,000
Grade E = N1000 N2,000

Plus "in kind" as a female.
The first row is for social/mgt sciences while the second is for sciences. Thats true definition of smartness in most nigerian varsities. Dont ask me to expose those schools.

NOTE: THE AMOUNT VARIES WT SCHOOLS

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

I'm nt a part of that idea, in every sch, there is a champion, just that some champions are more equal than the others grin . The central idea is that federal unis' criteria and style of admission cant be compared with that of private and state, u should knw beta. We have brains in privates and states but loads and lots of brains are in the federal system.
u can say that again.God bless u.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Kunle106(m): 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
The issue here is not comparing state, private or federal uni's. Even a person that merit his/her admission might have nothing to show for it at the end of his/her university programme, though a lot of factors might cause that.
But the main issue is nigeria education sector is a total mess. There is need for re-engineering in that sector.

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by funshint(m): 9:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
Most people don't even undstand d OPs question. The OP is asking "why some graduates in Federal Universities come out with 2.2 or below despite the rigorous conditions it takes to enter those Federal universities"
@OP there is only one answer for you; LIFE!!! If U̶̲̥̅̊ really understand that four letter words U̶̲̥̅̊ won't ask that question but I pardon your ignorance. Life is full of so many uncertainties where the intelligent one becomes dull overtime; the dull child grows up to become supersmart and intelligent. Where the hardworking person fails and the care-free person becomes a success. The University is an entirely different environment from secondary school. Not all those U̶̲̥̅̊ see coming out with 2.2 and below were actually dull or unserious but sometimes the vicissitudes of life can alter one's projections or expectations in life. In conclusion "the race is not to the swift; nor battle to the strong; nor bread to the wise...but time and chance happeneth to the them all" Eccl 9:11

3 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by daveP(m): 9:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
None of president could face the educational system and overhaul it. We follow the system the military laid down(even jamb sef) and all the revisions of 6334, 8112, 934 etc are just numerical propaganda to coax us to believe.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by daveP(m): 9:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
JayZ run away from this thread, cos...

solange3 is here. grin grin

Was surprised@ d moniker thats all
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by mzlizabelle(f): 9:49pm On Aug 27, 2014
.. t

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Adedayo516(m): 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
Kentnickole:

Smart means:

Grade A = N5000 N10,000
Grade B = N4000 N8,000
Grade C = N3000 N6,000
Grade D = N2000 N4,000
Grade E = N1000 N2,000

Plus "in kind" as a female.
The first row is for social/mgt sciences while the second is for sciencess. Thats true dedinition of smartness in most nigerian varsities. Dont ask me to expose those schools.

NOTE: THE AMOUNT VARIES WT SCHOOLS
***clears throat and sips coke ***

Now I know.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by dprince042(m): 10:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
Akdegreat: Brilliance + hardwork + CRAMMING + consistency + discipline + luck + other variables (kind of school, socioeconomic, God etc) = FIRST CLASS ....

I am speaking frm experience.
Pls any knowledgeable undergrad or grad could add to dis equation

Brilliance - Cheating + hardwork - Drunkard embarassed + CRAMMING - S*x + consistency - Night Party + discipline - Sleep + luck - Smoking + other variables (kind of school, socioeconomic, God etc) -WoManizing= FIRST CLASS + CHRIST IN ME = HEAVEN grin

2 Likes

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by alphasino(m): 10:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

so are u saying something special is happening in the federal unis nt happening in the state'? And what's the 'white house OAU' abt?
No be lie o. MTH 201 for whitehouse made me have 2.2
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by myhero4eva: 10:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
Well i saw a writer who said dat u wil nt undastnd if u r nt in dat shoe... D probs is nt far fetch frm d actns of wicked, dubious, and some selfish lecturers and HOds who neva want d studnts to achieve more dan they did. So currupt dat even b4 ur result cms out they v already decided to mark u down or limit u to C or D and d sbhl administrators incompetence too in checmatin d activities of these lecturers. Some of dm leaves studnts scripts 4 their so called boys and coursereps who in turn wichunts their rival courremate while marking their scripts... Collecting money 4rm odas...
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by slye(m): 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
Why do pple give themselves headaches like as if all these grades on papers (certificates) is what defines their intellectual ability. The world is out there shouting innovations, and we Nigerians here, we're shouting grades#sighs

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Dexema(m): 10:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
dejt4u: You may not understand it if u ar nt in dat shoe.. #WhiteHouseOAU na evil.. Beware!

White haus aint white bro,believe me
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by toluwalase90(m): 10:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
A third class candidate in UI n OAU is better than a first student of UNILAG.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by vodkat: 10:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
youngelder: Guy.. Private universities even produce 3rd class. Bt nonetheless.. Lukin at our society, is ur certificates a tru proof of your intellect? Rememba Soyinka who was a failure here bt now a prof ??
Dont judge pple.. Some 3rd class can compete very well wit first class students in external exams

Most of the guys who have good degrees end up doing well in most cases esp of u go to a good sch. If u have 3rdy u will have to get professional and recognized certication to progress or have a lot of experience but without a good degree nobody will give u experience and the cycle continues

However the truth is if u pick a trade and ur v good in it like programming, building or being a good business manager etc u can be v successful

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by richling77(m): 10:58pm On Aug 27, 2014
adeoladrg: Op you're very wrong!

I was a unilag diploma student some years back. Diploma cutoff for pharmacy was 116. I scored 120. A girl who scored 95 got her admission letter before me. I was shocked! I later learnt the VC had his own list, registrar had her own, even the Oba of Lagos had his own, so it depends on who you know.. People who didn't even know these people found some other ways to 'leg' their ways through..

My brother, except you want to deceive urself, it's a normal Nigerian syndrome.

@OmolodMilkman93 Thanks bro.. My diary is down. I'll open a new one soon.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Jarus(m): 11:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
youngelder: Guy.. Private universities even produce 3rd class. Bt nonetheless.. Lukin at our society, is ur certificates a tru proof of your intellect? Rememba Soyinka who was a failure here bt now a prof ??
Dont judge pple.. Some 3rd class can compete very well wit first class students in external exams

Wole Soyinka was not a failure.
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
toluwalase90: A third class candidate in UI n OAU is better than a first student of UNILAG.

daddy, why have u said this? Arn't u always tired of assuming?
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
richling77:

Thanks for revealing this man. Meanwhile, this is the first time I will refer to any OP. I must say you are one of the mistakes we have as Nigerian citizens. You see things from your own point of view and put up gibberish simply because you have access to nairaland. I know you would invite punch correspondent to say such rubbish. Who feeds you this nonsense of comparing individuals in federal, state and private institutions? Who says students in state unis can't be admitted into your so call federal unis and still come out in flying colours? Must we all attend federal unis to proof there are brilliant souls in other institutions? This kind of view is myopic. I see some retarded fellows ridicule private Universities students too like there's no good students in those schools apart from the federal schools. If you need proof, I will give you names of my guys that graduated with best results where we have your so call federal students in same schools abroad. Atleast that's a common ground for everyone to come together and show their intelligence. This your analysis is total nonsense. So are so rich they can't allow their wards attend your school while so rich men believe in federal unis for their children. Opinion is diverse and this is why you won't conclude next time.

It's unfortunate u're refering to the O.P for the first time for the wrong issue. I wonder how this thread changed to comparson btw state, private and fed uni. Only few got my point, the whole issue is on federal unis and nt state or private. We knw that the stress and everything it takes to enter a fed uni isn't easy as compared to state or private. This means many brilliant students will be in d fed sch. Why do many of this regarded brilliant students end up with 3rd class and pass? That's d simply thing i was passing across. Other's comment must have affected urs psycologically.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by datyrone(m): 11:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
for me,i think that we should stop politicising federal and nonfederal schools,ranking them on value and so on with minimal criteria,because at the end of the day certification is not a true assessment of intelligence or thought process.the most innovative people in the world are very important
because of their ability to create,and theres always something special or ordinary about them that influence loads of people
the reason why u stil get 2.2 and other grades in schools that are so tough to gain admission,is that at the end of any educational programme is that we would all be grouped based on performance.but at the end of the day ability,character and thought-process is not a true reflection of your certificate

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 27, 2014
funshint: Most people don't even undstand d OPs question. The OP is asking "why some graduates in Federal Universities come out with 2.2 or below despite the rigorous conditions it takes to enter those Federal universities"
@OP there is only one answer for you; LIFE!!! If U̶̲̥̅̊ really understand that four letter words U̶̲̥̅̊ won't ask that question but I pardon your ignorance. Life is full of so many uncertainties where the intelligent one becomes dull overtime; the dull child grows up to become supersmart and intelligent. Where the hardworking person fails and the care-free person becomes a success. The University is an entirely different environment from secondary school. Not all those U̶̲̥̅̊ see coming out with 2.2 and below were actually dull or unserious but sometimes the vicissitudes of life can alter one's projections or expectations in life. In conclusion "the race is not to the swift; nor battle to the strong; nor bread to the wise...but time and chance happeneth to the them all" Eccl 9:11

God bless u o. Only abt 3 users understood the message, their thoughts have overshadowed the real idea. Always looking for a way to fault d O.P. Thanks, u've said it all.

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Ezegozie(m): 11:35pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

nope, i didn't say so, i only said since the criteria for admitting into fed unis is very tough, i expect most to graduate with first class and 2.1 even if the ones in the state schs can't graduate with high CGPA due to their various 'mago mago' way of entry.

don't you also think that when so many people sabi book, the marking scheme increases.
And lecturers start even marking spellings.

Does it mean that private university students (where we have most people graduating with first class and second class upper) are more intellingent than federal and state university students ?

These are the questions you should also ask yourself
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by faithboi: 11:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
LARRYDKING:

We can't rule out the possiblity of this but it's very low compared to the state unis where it's a normal practice.
provided it is...bad is bad.....there's no little or mighty way of doing it....#RereadTheBolded
Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Jasi7(m): 12:01am On Aug 28, 2014
MisterLongman: There is this popular notion that lecturers fail their because they don't want them to reach their level... That's why you hear in some schools that a department has never produced a first class or even 2nd class upper student and the department is proud of the status quo..... I don't know if its true or not tho
bro i can attest to dis one...cum to uniabuja and see...ask about their accounting department...dat department is bloody.there is dis man dey call Mr.Prince...hes a saddist,he enjoys it wen students are frustrated and failing...and its been years since a First class was produced there and they are not even bothered!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by jamoyakz: 12:14am On Aug 28, 2014
I

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by jamoyakz: 12:18am On Aug 28, 2014
Jasi7: bro i can attest to dis one...cum to uniabuja and see...ask about their accounting department...dat department is bloody.there is dis man dey call Mr.Prince...hes a saddist,he enjoys it wen students are frustrated and failing...and its been years since a First class was produced there and they are not even bothered!
brother stop hyping gwaz!!! I know a lot of student aand graduate from gwaz, they don't read in that school.. What they know how to do best is to club in town and admission in gwagz is connection... School that admits over 300 student in each dept negating NUC carrying capacity... Unibuja is just a mere glorified primary school

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Kylekent59: 12:40am On Aug 28, 2014
ghostwritter:
according to Nigeria Educational system, the word 'smart' means to study ur lectures and the way they set their past questions......pls don't think of me a cheat. different system for different lectures.

Note: being brilliant and smart are 2 different meaning. It is better to be smart when compared to being brilliant.
Use ur head ooo,na Nigeria we dey ooo

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 28, 2014
dejt4u:
cnt talk for oda school..for oau where i schld, white house na die.. Science dept is situated in 'White house' - we have phy nd engineering phy dept, chemistry nd industrial chemistry dept, geology nd geophysics dept..the sister to dis building is the 'yellow house'-mathematics dept..

Them dey suck GP die for those places.. You hv to be intelligent and very very smart to scale tru unhurt... #respect

Hello, Humans don't "schl" we study!...sorry I'm doing this again...so if this federal uni claim to be good as portrayed,how comes we still can't solve our indigenous problems e.g in sciences; we got ebola, lasa fever and the rest, crime control; we got bokos, 419, advance fee fraud etc, humanities; we got politicians dehumanising the masses socially, materially, educationally, and other wise! Are we studying to solve a case or just the usual garbage in garbage out stuff! I also understand we have made progress in some areas of endeavours however our unis have beent here for like 40-50years and counting. Don't u fink we should be worried @ NLders?

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by Jasi7(m): 12:53am On Aug 28, 2014
jamoyakz: brother stop hyping gwaz!!! I know a lot of student aand graduate from gwaz, they don't read in that school.. What they know how to do best is to club in town and admission in gwagz is connection... School that admits over 300 student in each dept negating NUC carrying capacity... Unibuja is just a mere glorified primary school
helooooo....i did not say uniabuja,i said accounting department in uniabuja...and if na primary skul nko?....if ure nt in gwags,den u hv nothin to prove so chill..wat information do u hv to say wat u jst said huh?...abi na dem say dem say?...i ws neva hypin gwags i ws refering to a department dat neva allows success of its students!

1 Like

Re: Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. by kasbeats(m): 1:01am On Aug 28, 2014
LARRYDKING:

source pls It's nt that i dont believe u, i'll just like to read d full details myself, something must be wrong somewhr. BTW, what's the name of the uni? See, if a 2.86 could beat OAU's best student in any test, he can definately beat the best student of his own sch too in such test. Tell me what i dont knw abt the test.

#WaGbayi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 18 Interesting Pictures From The Past You’ve Probably Not Seen Before / WASSCE: South-West States To Reopen Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.