Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment (23373 Views)

Lagos-Bound Bristow Helicopter Crashes Into The Ocean / Arik Air - Passenger Reviews! / Ba & Virgin: Air Passenger Fuel Surcharge Settlement Notice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by atlwireles: 1:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nigeria’s timely containment of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) which has attracted huge commendation from the international community, including the World Health Organisation (WHO) is paying off, as air passenger traffic into and also out of the country’s airports has been sustained, despite the outbreak of the disease in July.

The disease has however crippled air travel business in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea, where a total of about 1,400 deaths have been recorded since the recent outbreak, leading to the cancellation of as much as 216 of the 590 monthly international flights scheduled to Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, Official Airline Guide (OAG), an airline data provider says.

However, with only five deaths recorded in Nigeria, including the late Patrick Sawyer (the index case) who imported the deadly disease into the country, analysts observe that inbound passenger traffic has been sustained, indication confidence from the international community, regarding the country’s prompt and proper response to the EVD incident.

“We are yet to feel any significant impact of the dreaded Ebola disease in the industry,” the country manager of a popular international airline, who preferred anonymity, told to our reporter. He further said that though many airlines have suspended operations to Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, which are much more afflicted by EVD, the flow of passengers into Nigeria has remained unaltered.

Despite warnings and explanations by WHO and other health experts, that the risk of travellers in the same flight contracting the deadly EVD remains very low because it can only be transferred through body fluids or secretions such as blood, sweat, urine and saliva and is not airborne, about one-third of international flights to the three most hit West African countries have been cancelled in the past one month.

Kola Olayinka, country commercial manager, British Airways, in response to questions from BusinessDay, doused any apprehension of flight cancellation to Nigeria, stating that the country is yet to be referred to as an Ebola-nation, considering the aggressive approach of the Federal Government to contain the disease.

Olayinka said that after the late Sawyer gained access into the country through the airport, all hands have been on deck to ensure such a scenario is not repeated.

This he explained, has led to the installation of scanning equipment at some sections of the airports, to allow officials thoroughly examine passengers coming into the country.

Just last week, the government of the United States donated equipment worth $5,000 to help boost screening capacity at the Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos.

The new items include infrared non-contact thermometers and face shields. An infrared thermometer is a portable handheld device with the ability to measure body temperature of in and out- bound passengers.

Joff Hawkins, US Consul-General in Nigeria, presenting the equipment, expressed satisfaction with the timely response of the Nigerian Government to the contagious disease, since its importation into the country by Patrick Sawyer about a month ago.

Meanwhile, South Africa Airways is set to increase its flight frequency between Lagos and Johannesburg from seven to eight times per week.

This, the firm explained, is a direct response to increasing demand from passengers for its services, and also in line with its mandate to draw the footprint of integrating Africans within the continent.

Aaron Munetsi, regional general manager for Africa & Middle East, South Africa Airways, countered any notion of the carrier suspending its services to Nigeria, explaining that the airline remains pleased with efforts of the government to contain the disease.

On the efforts of the airline to ensure it does not in anyway help spread the virus, Munetsi confirmed that the carrier does not currently fly to any of the countries seriously hit by Ebola.

He also revealed that since the disease broke out, the airline has engaged its staff in several training programmes on how best to ensure passengers are adequately protected while on board.

“Our staff have been trained to ensure passengers do not transit when they are sick, infact they have been mandated to report any sick person trying to board the flight to appropriate authorities,” he said, adding that as part of the carrier’s protective measures, staff in direct contact with passengers from the severely hit countries use protective measures such as gloves to protect themselves from any possible infection.

ODINAKA MBONU

http://businessdayonline.com/2014/08/nigerias-in-bound-air-passenger-traffic-sustained-on-ebola-containment

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by ib4real95(m): 2:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hion
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
wait oh!
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 28, 2014
Confession: My mother and I cancelled our visit to Lagos this month.

I was very insistent. My mom is all I have. *shame*

My dad is going to Calabar soon, and I insisted he go directly to domestic from international. Now Ebola is in Port Harcourt, and my heart is pounding.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Reference(m): 2:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
Honestly the 'Nigerian Factor' can never put me at ease on this matter. We are just not honest enough for statistics to work here.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by koboko69: 2:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
I actually commend the APC led Government of Fashola....and not the Federal Government. The only thing the FG did is to release 1.9bn to the pockets of some few individuals.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Bawss1(m): 2:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
Blockus: Joe 4 life

You know this chant is getting more and more ridiculous with each passing day, give it a rest will you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by gunuvi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
good news like this is what makes me drink more bottles of origin. bar man trolley me 3 more bottles

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by finfol007(m): 2:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
We thank God
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by godfreyakpoguma(m): 2:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
GOD PLS AM TIRED HEARING EBOLA EVERY MINUTE,EBOLA HAS MORE POPULARITY THAN COCACOLA JUST WITHIN FEW WEEKS, GOD HELP US PLS.
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Bazinga(m): 2:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
they are putting money over peoples lives. u can postpond resumption of primary and secondary schools to october because of ebola, but u cant reduce the airport traffic abi? there is God sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
Would like to hear how those people who come by road are quarantined, all we hear is air travel. Since more people use the road than the air to enter naija. undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Sarimah(f): 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
God will help us
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Adyrin(m): 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
sexymoma: I can bet my nyash you guys didn't read before commenting. angry Olorun
Sure, the story is just too long.....
These people should try to summarize abi una nor do summary for skool?
D main points please no beating around d bush grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by atikubaba(m): 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
the FG response time to the virus is commendable i wish the same could be said about Chibok girls and BH ,the stories would have been different

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by 9jahubcom(m): 2:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
waooo
Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by ichidodo: 2:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
Frequenting hospitals and airports can predispose one to Ebola.....Just hold yah side,jéjé

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by lilbazy(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
SARs,lasa fever,flu...all came and gone!! Ebola 'll join dem too,its just a matter of time! Nigerians don't die,We Multiply.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s In-bound Air Passenger Traffic Sustained On Ebola Containment by Lilimax(f): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
Good to know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Notice To Those Who Wish To Live In Japan / South Africa Critical Skill Visa And Permanent Resident / Enugu State Orphans Involve In Accident - All Alive (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.