Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum (20965 Views)

How Much Is Your House Rent / Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. / Is There A Law In Lagos Regulating House Rent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Fhemmmy: 2:24am On Aug 30, 2014
emiye: 30% of income to pay rent in Nigeria is disaster waiting to happen. Things like fuel for generators, buying of water (potable), subscriptions (internet, pay to watch satellite e.t.c) will still take a sizable chunk of the income.

Thanks for correcting me, sir
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Fhemmmy: 2:28am On Aug 30, 2014
dremoney:

Not like you could be wrong, you are actually WRONG.

Rent and Mortgage repayments are different. Im sure you know that. 30% on mortgage? YES. 30% to-let a house? NO. 840K can barely run anybody over 2 quarters in Nigeria. Tithe alone is 84k.

I presently spend less than 10% on rent. I live in a decent 3bedroom. Downside is driving another hour than an average person who spends 20-25% on rent ONLY in the evening. I dont face traffic in the morning. Upside is having a better living standard than those who pay higher.

Financial management is a big problem in Nigeria. Peer pressure also is another factor. Folks just put springs on each others legs unnecessarily. Its unfair for someone in lekki to come to Agege in need of some loan to settle school fees. They never learn. Mid life crisis is REAL. You wont have that job forever.

Nice analogy and I think I am out touch with reality in Nigeria, lemme run to my auto sales and technology market, while I learn..... and I mean this.
I used to tell my wife that I can survive on omly 100$ in a week in Nigeria, I guess I am living in fool's paradise
Thanks for waking me up
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Tinyemeka(m): 2:55am On Aug 30, 2014
Mine is 8.33% of my annual. And I even felt guilty paying that large sum. IMO. Seems reasonable though.

P.S @OP, why would you be asking such a question after spending 6 yrs in a bank post-NYSC? Where had you been staying all these while?

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by abbakacici: 3:45am On Aug 30, 2014
what determined your rent is your location and your values not some estimate, because assuming your salary is 2 million annually there is no way you will find a house to rent in Abuja with less 25% even with that, you will be living outside the city in place like Nyaya, Zuba, marababa etc. i remember during my nysc the new staff of the organisation where given (800K) almost 25% of their salary as rent allowance. while most abuja staff have to added like 150k to 200k because average rent for 2-3 bedroom was like 1 million (garki, wuse life camp) while other abuja staff paid like 600-700 for similar house at Kubwa and Zuba but have to travel like 1-2 hours every day defending on traffic. so you see while other want to save time other want to save money

at the same time their collogue at lagos paid like (700k) kano (500K) and i was very shock to hear some one paid like 250k at oshogbo for decent 4 bedroom house and a corper from enugu told someone can get similiar house at Enugu for 350k.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 5:34am On Aug 30, 2014
ayusco85: Hmmm sign of end time....na wu plant dis yam?

Hmmmm, i dont understand. The yam is a resemblance of what?

@op, anything beyond 20% is not adviceable. Remember you must think as one who has plans for the future and if you must bring those financial plans to reality, then spending too much on accomodation as well as every other thing should be cut to the bearest. 20% is ok. #MyOpinionThough
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Mist100: 8:27am On Aug 30, 2014
Adventurist: i have been working in banking/investment/financial sector for about six years after my NYSC. So you should have an idea of my current salary. i dont wanna mention it here coz of confidentiality and security as well.

i wanna to know if am not spending too much on accomodation. BTW, I live in Lagos, Nigeria.

Thanks

You are seeking information when you are hiding your financial information. Does anyone know your name, your bank or your contact? Anyways as a finance person you are supposed to know. Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Agbo2(m): 8:42am On Aug 30, 2014
I live in Lagos and my annual rent was 80% of my monthly salary, God just promoted me and its now 30% of my monthly salary. I plan to leave it that way till I can save enough to buy my own house.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Pesuzok(m): 8:50am On Aug 30, 2014
laivwire:
Oga, you do maths now. If you earn 500k monthly, your annual income is 6m. Living in a house of 600k p.a ain't a bad thing.

if you live in abuja and you have a family, where do you think you will get accomodation for 600k, lets say a 3 bedroom flat considering you have a family, and you work in central area?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Revolva(m): 8:52am On Aug 30, 2014
Adventurist: Wake up bro. We are talking about real life issue here + responsibilities. This isn't joke, cooked up or fables. They are real personal issues. No everyone posts rubbish here.

Hi Hi sir.....roger dat
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by laivwire(m): 9:30am On Aug 30, 2014
Pesuzok:

if you live in abuja and you have a family, where do you think you will get accomodation for 600k, lets say a 3 bedroom flat considering you have a family, and you work in central area?
True, we'll as I explained in my first pot on this topic, ,marital status goes a long way in determining the size of the house, location too counts.its not just placing a peg on the income proportion that works. Just wanted to point out the miscalculation on your post
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by cooldudeng(m): 9:32am On Aug 30, 2014
I often here people say 20% is ideal but again who says you can't go lower. Started out in a bank and when the long hours of driving to and from work nearly killed me I had to look for a place close to work. It would have costed about 30% of my annual and I was determined to cut down on some other expenses to accommodate this. Truth is, there was barely anything to cut, even the now reduced cost of fueling won't cover the increased rent. since I was fresh out of school, ended up sharing apartment with some fellow colleagues to achieve a 10% (of course that came with its own hurdles)

Changed jobs, moved out of the Island only to discover that mainland was equally expensive. This time about 40% was all I saw close to the office. I had to widen my search and a bit of distance away from the office to finally settle for 12%. Now things have improved and it's down to 8%. Would continue to keep it down till I finally have my own house.

I think the morale of the story is knowing what you want and believe me, you can always find ways around it.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by shizzle11(m): 10:06am On Aug 30, 2014
Ishsoph:
You knelled it!
nailed
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by dammytosh: 10:59am On Aug 30, 2014
mindworx:

Only you can be true to yourself. I always ensure my two months basic salary (max) must be able to pay my rent. I am thinking towards buying land and building mine. I limited my rent as such even though my total monthly income (salary and businesses) can afford more than where i live at moment. I realized one must be a futuristic and cultivate self-discipline, manage to cut excesses and deny yourself some affluence/pleasure if you really do plan to build your own house here in Lagos. Of course, am not referring to guyz with fat pockets.

Yes i love ur idea. Mine is a bit more strict.

Your net monthly pay or max 1 and half month net pay must pay ur annual rent.

Like others said, the house should be based on ur need not trying to make a statement.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by 4C2215131: 11:21am On Aug 30, 2014
I'd say 20 per cent tops as it is relative. A chap that earns 1.2 mil a year takes home 100k a month. 20 per cent of that is 20k which, I believe, save the chap is hopelessly stupid, should be what s/he reserves for rent as there are other expenses to take care of. Before anyone says it's too small, remember I said it's relative. Someone earning 3.6 mil per annum can go as high as 60k or more per month. Nigeria is so un-predictable a country. You gotta be savvy in money matters.

So, it's about what you want though. If you just want to splurge and live it up as maybe still single with no immediate business plans or good use of your money you could go as high as 30 per cent (seen chaps doing 40 per cent!). It's your call.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by olydedon: 12:20pm On Aug 30, 2014
one month of your salary should be able to pay your annual house rent.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 30, 2014
Ishsoph:
Trust me you wouldn't pull that off in Abuja
Unless you earn over a million monthly, and that wouldn't fetch you more than 2 bedroom flat here too.

Okay. Noted.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Konnektions146(m): 1:16pm On Aug 30, 2014
Jarus:
In all humility, my monthly gross pay is more than 1m, and net (after tax and pension) only a little less. So, tell us another place.
Oga Jarus, I guess the guy is either new here or never seen someone with a very very good pay.

@topic
Don't fall for peer pressure, if you are married, less than 15% as a Nigeria banker is OK but if you are not, you can still cut a little down and plan for the future.
The moment of truth comes after you have extra mouth to feed , even if its 1person(wife)

By the way , mine is about a month's pay excluding wifey's salary,
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 30, 2014
Jarus:
In all humility, my monthly gross pay is more than 1m, and net (after tax and pension) only a little less. So, tell us another place.

One earning that much shouldn't be 'renting' a house.
@topic
It's all relative. I spend about 30% because I live in a decent apartment in Lagos. I must consider proximity of me and wife's office from home. I must also think of safety. If I was in Enugu or another smaller State, perhaps 10% would do.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
Gaggi:

One earning that much shouldn't be 'renting' a house.
You don't build a house overnight.

4 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
Jarus:
I did not start my career with that. You don't build a house overnight.

In any case, a proud landlord. Own a decent countryhome in my hometown, and doing the second in Lagos

Ok. Congrats then. Nice one.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by kopell: 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2014
@victorv12. When 30 percent of your earnings are exhausted on shelter, your labor are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the real world that's called...slavery.?

Sir, I don't know where you reside. My comment is based on the fact that is used to determine rent calculation where I reside. I believe it's a federal law that governs property owners and the renters. This law was also strictly enforced on banks as well. If you read my first post carefully, I said where incomes has good accounting practice and well documented, can easily be verified. Your comment above in my view, with Naija housing market that was run on speculations not the value of the houses themselves . I may agree with you, if at present, Nigerian 30% income may not support their rent, but I also find it difficult to understand the balance with present income, housing cost, and the programs the government has in place for the housing markets. I had read a lot about the cost associated with land etc. I can't imagine and average legitimate income of #1.6m a year that can afford an apartment of two or three bedrooms at 8-10millon on mortgage at monthly payment of #120,000 a month. Even so call bankers that believe they are making decent living with many of them@#5-8millon a year income. Mind you the entire banking sector hired only 90,000 or so workers, out of 160 million people. They are still considered poor in this part of the world, they may still need government assistant in one-way or other. I believe we have to put many things in order, like removing those crazy land fees charges to liberalize the sector. We have a long way to go as nation to make housing affordable for ordinary Nigerians in conclusion.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by kopell: 4:52pm On Aug 30, 2014
@victorv12. When 30 percent of your earnings are exhausted on shelter, your labor are no longer viewed as an opportunity for economic advancement, but rather as an act of self-preservation. In the real world that's called...slavery.?

Sir, I don't know where you reside. My comment is based on the fact that is used to determine rent calculation where I reside. I believe it's a federal law that governs property owners and the renters. This law was also strictly enforced on banks as well. If you read my first post carefully, I said where incomes has good accounting practice and well documented, can easily be verified. Your comment above in my view, with Naija housing market that was run on speculations not the value of the houses themselves . I may agree with you, if at present, Nigerian 30% income may not support their rent, but I also find it difficult to understand the balance with present income, housing cost, and the programs the government has in place for the housing markets. I had read a lot about the cost associated with land etc. I can't imagine and average legitimate income of #1.6m a year that can afford an apartment of two or three bedrooms at 8-10millon on mortgage at monthly payment of #120,000 a month. Even so call bankers that believe they are making decent living with many of them@#5-8millon a year income. Mind you the entire banking sector hired only 90,000 or so workers, out of 160 million people. They are still considered poor in this part of the world, they may still need government assistant in one-way or other. I believe we have to put many things in order, like removing those crazy land fees charges to liberalize the sector. We have a long way to go as nation to make housing affordable for ordinary Nigerians in conclusion
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by lacastre: 5:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
irrespective of your status,married or unmarried,economically it should be between 25 and 30% but lavishly it can be 45% and above
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by tlops(m): 6:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
The percentage that the landlord demands.
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by skj1377(m): 7:48pm On Aug 30, 2014
lacastre: irrespective of your status,married or unmarried,economically it should be between 25 and 30% but lavishly it can be 45% and above

thats high good example should be between 5% and 10%. remember your salary should increase over time. say you start work in a company that pays you 120k after tax per month at the age of 24yrs. if your parents have a house in lag stay in the house for four years and save the rent as part of savings. 120k * 12 months = N1,440,000 max 10% thats N144000 additional savings per year
144000 * 4 yeras = N576000 after 4 years

assuming you are saving say 10% per month at the end of 4 years you should have N576000.
your saving plus the rent saved = N576000 + N576000 = N1,152,000
N1,152,000 can buy you a plot of land in a new developing area and it will be in your name after only 4 years of working.
now imagine your paying 30% as rent after 4 years you would have given away N1,728,000. and your savings will only be N576,000. and that can not buy you a plot as good as that of the first example.
assuming the first example set aside the money you payed as rent to your land lord,he will now have N1,728,000 +N576,000= N2,304,000
with N2,304,000 he can buy two choice plots in a developing area. remember you have only N576,000 because you payed the land lord N1,728,000.
mr stupid has land worth N2,304,000 while mr wise has land worth N576,000. lets assume the land appreciates by 100% after one year. mr stupid now has N4,608,000 worth of land and mr wise has N1,152,000.
mr stupid worth N4,608,000+ N576000 saved on the fifth year= N5,184,000 mr wise N1,152,000+ N576000= N1,728,000 saved on the fifth year
so mr stupid N[b]5,184,000[/b] and mr wise N[b]1,728,000[/b] after five years of working now you tell me is it wise to give a land lord your money?
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by magicalkid: 8:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
ARE U STILL BROWSING WITH MONEY?, WE HAVE MADE IT EASY 4 U JUST REGISTER AT WWW.ROYALSOLACE.TK AND GET UPDATES OF FREE BROWSING CHEATS AND TUTORIALS.(TUTORIALS ON HOW TO HACK 2GO WITH USERNAME,HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE AND LASTEST ALL NETWORK CHEATS. HURRY NOW@WWW.ROYALSOLACE.TK
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by Emblj: 8:28am On Aug 31, 2014
Based on good financial discipline your rent should NOT be more than 10% of your income. While feeding should NOT be more than 30%. Remember other important aspects like transport, education and health are still pending.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by kackar22: 6:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
Una dey on una own
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by jennylove7575(f): 7:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
GoodFaith: 30%of ur income should be for rent or mortgage
Most people go to rent or mortgage are about 40%
blessed my yansh. it takes an ashawo patroniser to know ashawo. ur mother is a ashawo...all you sisters are ashawo and you are a patroniser of one....you are a giggolo and bisexual..you sleep around with old women for money....ah?? so you marry no wonder you kept denying that poor girls pregnancy...you are a wicked child....i dont bloody care if you do cefa or naira or zimbabwe money.. you are a bad person. na blindy marry you...false advertisement...you are fraud that is what you are..hear yourself ha ha ha liar...its your family thing she will bore you that child. this is how your father decieved your mother it runs in the blood...my friend even tell me say your prick small like groundnut with plenty bear bear..you no dey shave...ha ha ha ha ha.....you are the crackhead oh i see what do you do? yahoo yahoo? liar, deceit, penniless fraud?. was that why you gave her 3000naira for an abortion? you heartless child. she loved you that was why she opened her legs for you. now you are denying your responsibilities. now you have failed. its me and you in this niaraland.goodfaith u impregnated my friend and and gave her money for an abortion and then u came to nl to start running your stinking mouth isnt it...go and take up your responsibility..stop
donating your sperm...if u ain't ready for a child. you came using different usernames i know all of dem..you are a bad person all the ladies in da house needs to know..you come here posting silly topics. whom is fooling whom? for you information am waiting for your father to come and marry me. so that i can give him a legitimate child since you are born out of wedlock. charity begins at home
Re: What Percentage Of Your Annual Earning Should Be Paid As House Rent Per Annum by toniro(m): 5:42am On Sep 24, 2014
I trust dat by now u have made ur decision on accommodation. Well if u have not n since u reside in lagos, factor in transportation. This I mean is get a place relatively close to ur place of work;finance to me is not ur challenge so if u work in d island, yes u can get a place in d island. See there is no atm in heaven o! cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikeja Gra Mansion For 475 Milion / Working On Classic E Centre (Screeding, Painting & Lighting‎) Pictures / Cost Of Electrical Cables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.