Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,360 members, 7,954,471 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:44 PM

The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria (11884 Views)

First Week In Opposition: PDP Struggles With The Challenge Of New Status! / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown / Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Audinowing(m): 9:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
Zakkyoz:
i can attest to that because i am presently in kaduna. for the very first time in days i have spent on earth, i witnessed one week of stable power. apart from light, i think benue and kogi governors need to embark on an excursion to kano to see dividends of democracy on display.
Kano? Not Sabon geri area.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Montaque(m): 9:09pm On Aug 29, 2014
good4all: I have been in Abidjan for more than 3 weeks now with uninterrupted power supply, woow Nigeria is indeed a very corrupt Nation.
go back there And stAy...
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by acenazt: 9:14pm On Aug 29, 2014
Zakkyoz:
i can attest to that because i am presently in kaduna. for the very first time in days i have spent on earth, i witnessed one week of stable power. apart from light, i think benue and kogi governors need to embark on an excursion to kano to see dividends of democracy on display.
hehehhehehhehhe Benue and Kogi states are so Backwards in development.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Montaque(m): 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
ThiS article should reeks of half truth. The situation in the country as per electriCity has seen some improvements. Here in onitsha, wE cAn attest to that.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by hrhobi1(m): 9:25pm On Aug 29, 2014
Train your students well , empower and employ them. Electricity is a simple to produce.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
Too bad. Dem stil dey scream 'UP NEPA' 4 my side up til nw. undecided
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by dway4ward: 9:54pm On Aug 29, 2014
The power sector privatization used to confuse me. Some guys did a good job in dissecting it all herehttp://www.thenigerianeagle.com/now-that-power-is-privatised/ . Real good read.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by donigspain(m): 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2014
Waspy: Nairalanders are wicked... cry grin So no one is nice enough to give this guy some cheap "Likes"? undecided
Count again and then swallow your words.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by MAYOWAAK: 10:03pm On Aug 29, 2014
The people who secured the DISCOs and GENCOs are not those who really want to work. No due process was followed. Rather the friends of government secured it. They are complaining today that what they anticipated was not what they found. If they followed due process, won’t they know the costs of transmission and transportation and the inventory of functioning and damaged equipment? Now they are complaining. We don’t have power because those in power did not contemplate the poor. The irony is that their lack of due process has backfired on the elite. If they followed due process, the wrong people won’t get the contract. Now that they have the contracts, they are on the wrong end of the stick. We the people have to suffer as usual.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Godiloveu(f): 10:10pm On Aug 29, 2014
People shud stop sugar-coating dis topic of PHNC or NEPA. We DO NOT VE STEADY supply in Naija. HABA!

I still give out my phone for charging n I pay. Living in Nasarawa state but close to Abj.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by davidif: 10:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
Nigeria's problem is the federal model. Everything is too centralized and this creates the opportunity for inefficiency and waste. This top down model should give way to a new decentralized model where each state is semi-independent of the FG and are allowed to set there agenda and determine their destiny with the federal govt overseeing their development.
For example, each state should be able to raise it own revenue itself instead of waiting for the federal government to allocate funds yo it each year. The same goes for electricity, each state and city should be able able to determine how to generate its own electricity either by getting into its own contracts with electric generating or utility companies.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by winnieG1(m): 10:53pm On Aug 29, 2014
this is quite pathetic. Ever since the privatization thing , in fact since this year, the summation of all the PHCN light we have gotten is not up to 1 week (24hours x 7 days) and yet the summation of the bill for light in just 3 bedroom flat since January is #108, 000. I don't know where they manufacture their bill (they refuse to give us prepaid meter). Most times we do not see light for 2 weeks,when the do,it can only last for 30minutes. things has gotten from bad to worst and as a result, I have disconnected my home from PHCN entirely and now run on Solar +inverter +2 powerful maintenance free batteries. this is the best decision I had made so far and now I have light 24/7 with all my appliances running concurrently (deep freezer, 3 desktop computers, laptop, TV, fans and energy bulbs). It only cost me #380K.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by davidif: 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2014
Montaque: go back there And stAy...

Typical naija defense, "go back their and stay."
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by bongolistik(m): 1:01am On Aug 30, 2014
casket: Power supply has improved significantly over the past 2 weeks here in Ibadan
smh. U cal 2 weeks improvent. Smtims u guys speaks as if u ar nt in nigeria. Wht is 2weeks improvment and next 1month continuation of darkness. In past years na, we hav also seen som 2 weeks better in powa supply, so dat doesnt count at al as improvent. Wait until dis so cald improvment reaches jst 1year, b4 u can start talkin of improvment. In my sid, d past 2 months have bin horrible wit powa. So bro dier is notin lik improvment
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:13am On Aug 30, 2014
Barcholder:

Here's a statistic for you. Nigeria has a population of 170 million people, and total power generation capacity of 4,000 megawatts. South Africa has a population of 47 million people, and a total power generation capacity of 42,000 megawatts.

And you come on here talking about attaining 5,000 megawatts? Lol. Nigeria needs about 140,000 megawatts to be on a par with South Africa on a per capita energy basis.
Actually, what Nigeria needs now is 40,000mw. But for her to be amongst the top 20 economies in the world, the country would need something in the region of 80,000mw

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by valuedammy(m): 4:43am On Aug 30, 2014
Is like u ar writting from UK.
QMark:
That's not true. There's huge difference.... unfortunately it's only in the bill cry
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:32am On Aug 30, 2014
...eliminate arbitrary billing of consumers.
On the contrary, the billing rates has double, just in a year. However, I enjoy at least 23hours electricity on the average, thanks to the 33KV line. It's been like that for years though. You pay, we consume
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by QMark: 6:40am On Aug 30, 2014
valuedammy: Is like u ar writting from UK.

Obviously, u didn't get the message in my post.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by FILUX(m): 8:23am On Aug 30, 2014
My resident at Awka is like kingdom of darkness and yet they still issue out their bill for people to pay. Sometime i wonder if their bill is electricity bill or daylight bill.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 30, 2014
bongolistik: smh. U cal 2 weeks improvent. Smtims u guys speaks as if u ar nt in nigeria. Wht is 2weeks improvment and next 1month continuation of darkness. In past years na, we hav also seen som 2 weeks better in powa supply, so dat doesnt count at al as improvent. Wait until dis so cald improvment reaches jst 1year, b4 u can start talkin of improvment. In my sid, d past 2 months have bin horrible wit powa. So bro dier is notin lik improvment
in the past, I used to have light 6 hours in a day but in the past 2 weeks, I have 20hrs of power supply in a day for the past 2 weeks and you feel that's not an improvement. ...so unfortunate that you are in darkness but I can't help it .
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Caseless: 10:12am On Aug 30, 2014
acenazt: Ehnn Am sure this ur article doesn't Apply to Kaduna. Cos we have a lot of light. 22-24 hours. Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company ahead of em other Companies. In fact even when it rains,power doesn't twitch.
after 4 days of power, they jst took d light in my area. But that does not in any way mean other areas are constantly without light. Dem de try for my area sha.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barcholder: 10:25am On Aug 30, 2014
CFCfan:
Actually, what Nigeria needs now is 40,000mw. But for her to be amongst the top 20 economies in the world, the country would need something in the region of 80,000mw

Go and research all the top 20 economies in the world, find out their populations, their power supply, the ratio of power supply per person, then come on here and revise your assessment.

For Nigeria to develop anywhere close to a top 20 economy, it's going to need to develop a widespread industrial based economy which it presently simply does not have. I've been in Nigeria now for 18 months from the UK, and the thing I notice more than anything else is that practically EVERYTHING is imported. From the basics to the luxury. The reason for that is lack of power.

In order to transform the economy and create the millions of jobs that are needed to employ our vast youth population (70% of the population is under 30), it's going to take a monumental increase in the amount of power supply in the country.

As an example, the UK is presently the 6th largest world economy. It has a population of 63 million, and a power supply of 80,000 megawatts. That's a ratio of 1KW per person. All of the top economies have these types of ratios. Nigeria needs the same.

Therefore, 140,000 megawatts is actually a very conservative estimate of the power needs of the country. We need to understand the scale of the problem in order to be able to solve it.

Now, here are some costings for you. The average estimated costs of building a brand new 1,000 megawatt gas fired power plant is in the region of $3bn - $4bn dollars. That excludes transmission and distribution, for which you can add another $1bn - $2bn dollars. Frankly speaking, we need another way to solve the crisis.

That's why Solar energy is far and away the cheapest and most efficient way of bridging Nigeria's power problems. I can tell you that since launching my Solar Energy company, Solynta Energy, into Nigeria in April 2013, we have already installed close to 1 megawatt of power into homes and businesses. The take up rate has been phenomenal, because it's quick, efficient and highly cost effective.

We offer credit facilities to buyers, with just a 20% deposit. The typical payback period for a household installation is approximately 2 years the cost of running a generator. The panels last for a minimum of 25 years.

It's a complete no brainer in Nigeria. It seems that the people here are slowly waking up to this fact.

Some of our recent installations completed this month are below.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barcholder: 10:34am On Aug 30, 2014
FILUX: My resident at Awka is like kingdom of darkness and yet they still issue out their bill for people to pay. Sometime i wonder if their bill is electricity bill or daylight bill.

You need to go Solar ASAP, and you will have 24 hours power immediately. A 1KW system will power your basic appliances, lights, fans, TV, Fridge, and will cost you N700k. With just a 20% deposit you can get started and pay the balance off over 24 months. It will last you 25 years minimum. The pictures below are for a 1KW installation we completed 2 weeks ago in Keffi, Nassarawa State.

If you are interested, visit my website at www.solyntadotcomdotng and make an enquiry.

I can tell you that just 2 weeks ago, the MD of Awka Capital Development Authority requested a comprehensive Solar Power proposal, to cover all street lighting and public buildings. So, Solar is definitely on the rise in Nigeria in a big way.

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by acenazt: 10:45am On Aug 30, 2014
caseless: after 4 days of power, they jst took d light in my area. But that does not in any way mean other areas are constantly without light. Dem de try for my area sha.
Now I don even forget last time wey light no dey for up to 15 minutes.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by acenazt: 10:54am On Aug 30, 2014
Tazmode: Too bad. Dem stil dey scream 'UP NEPA' 4 my side up til nw. undecided
lol Mehn e don stop for my side

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by magicalkid: 8:16pm On Aug 30, 2014
ARE U STILL BROWSING WITH MONEY?, WE HAVE MADE IT EASY 4 U JUST REGISTER AT WWW.ROYALSOLACE.TK AND GET UPDATES OF FREE BROWSING CHEATS AND TUTORIALS.(TUTORIALS ON HOW TO HACK 2GO WITH USERNAME,HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE AND LASTEST ALL NETWORK CHEATS. HURRY NOW@WWW.ROYALSOLACE.TK
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barbay101: 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
Good day,I'm by name Mrs Becky.I just want to share my own Experience about online car dealers.I know that there's a lot of fraudsters online.But I bought a car from a certain custom officer which is a friend of mine and is genuine.If you are interested you can reach him on this number.07060482281. I'm just trying to help so that you won't be a victim of fraudsters. PLEASE DON'T FLASH HIMAlloy wheel air bag air condition power steering power window automatic transmission CD players e t c ..
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barbay101: 9:55pm On Aug 30, 2014
Good day,I'm by name Mrs Becky.I just want to share my own Experience about online car dealers.I know that there's a lot of fraudsters online.But I bought a car from a certain custom officer which is a friend of mine and is genuine.If you are interested you can reach him on this number.07060482281. I'm just trying to help so that you won't be a victim of fraudsters. PLEASE DON'T FLASH HIMAlloy wheel air bag air condition power steering power window automatic transmission CD players e t c .. cool
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 31, 2014
acenazt: Ehnn Am sure this ur article doesn't Apply to Kaduna. Cos we have a lot of light. 22-24 hours. Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company ahead of em other Companies. In fact even when it rains,power doesn't twitch.
What area in Kaduna do u reside in? Urban or Rural?
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by acenazt: 10:59am On Aug 31, 2014
tarad:
What area in Kaduna do u reside in? Urban or Rural?
I reside in a rural place surrounded by urban Areas. Television Village,you know there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Kick-starts 2017 Budget Process, Fix Oil Benchmark (Pic) / Jubilation As Ugwuanyi Flags Off Abakpa Nike-emene Link Road / Ahmadu Ali’s Son Re-arraigned For N4.5b Subsidy Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.