Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,193 members, 7,953,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:41 PM

What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . (19974 Views)

His Wife Earns Four Times His Salary And Someone Must Resign / Photo Of The Day: When Your Wife Earns More Than You. / When The Wife Earns And Contribute More To The Union? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by natureblack(m): 5:17am On Aug 30, 2014
Trouble in David's house

It all boils down to individual differences though,buh a larger percentage of women would one way or the other remind you of their status in the family,most especially when the man might try to straighten her up for a wrong did.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Jarchi(m): 5:17am On Aug 30, 2014
Un interrupted money supply
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 5:17am On Aug 30, 2014
Brace for impact undecided
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Blackchampion(m): 5:22am On Aug 30, 2014
Romanciella: ..,..........
Still thinking of what to write? C'mon! u can do beta dan dis swthrt.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 5:27am On Aug 30, 2014
montestic: my inlaw became jealous wen my eldest sister, her wife, started her own trading busines & was doing wel. busines waz moving. she was contributing like 50% of d upkeep of d house. his husband would destroy her articles for sell and disgrace her in public once there was a little argument. he beat her atimes. nw her busines has fallen they are nw feeding frm hand to mouth. pity them. they cant even get a decent apartment. frm flat to 2 rooms, frm there to batcher without a good convinience wit 6 children.

HABA shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by tbagjames(m): 5:29am On Aug 30, 2014
Nothing happens, except that they life a better life.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by abbakacici: 5:32am On Aug 30, 2014
why should i care, how much my wife make, because all i know is that all the bills from feeding, clothing, school fees accommodation etc are my responsible. and if my wife think that the house or food am providing is below her standard then we can go our separate ways. may be is my african ego but i dont believe wives should contribute to upkeep of the family nor matter how much they earn. may be once a while if the husband is low on cash and wife may help out.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by nikkygal(f): 5:49am On Aug 30, 2014
Been there done that! When I met my hubby, I was already earning more than 3 times his salary...but one of the things that attracted me to him was the fact that he was very secure and never felt threatened by that. As a matter if fact, he seemed very proud of my achievements at such a young age and always handy to provide advice or support ...I married him particularly because of that singular trait amongst others because I had seen many other guys that were either just intimidated or just wanted a complementary meal ticket...

Fastforward a few yrs later, the Mr resigned from his job and moved into business like he's always wanted from time. I was scared initially of what the future held,however, I put in a good chunk of my savings there, prayed hard and now story has changed..Even with my increased income, my guy is 'doing almost twice' of mine and controlling so much that it all seems surreal.

My inlaws initially were wary of our marriage and thought I might be bossy & domineering, I guess they now know better.... Of course my MIL is now particularly glad since her son's levels have changed now and she can now brag about so much....lol! But it's all good even though I & the hubby know the "koko" of our story...cheesy
These days, we just plan the finances together and make sure we remain transparent and united even in executing our plans. He always thanks me for believing in him and actually 'investing' in his dream. Honestly, I appreciate him more because I know the kind of marital issues a lot of my female colleagues face at home due to their superior earning power. As a lot of your actions are mis-construed easily to mean that you're bragging because you're the one paying the major bills.

I'll say it's tough for women earning more than their spouses because more often not, men have the tendency to get easily intimidated by their spouses. For men that see money as a control tool, the marriage will remain turbulent as the woman will always be seen as threatening the husband's position as the head.
Some wives have also attempted severally to help their spouses financially, but they just squander all the money on frivolities. That's one of the things that makes women buy properties in secret and make under-G investments so as to secure her future with the kids..It's a catch22 situation for women...ko easy rara!

31 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by skyjfk(m): 5:52am On Aug 30, 2014
I just dey observe
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by tyconcepts(f): 6:00am On Aug 30, 2014
lomaxx: My wife earning more than me doesn't automatically translate to her being the breadwinner. I will pick all my family bills to the last naira - my wife may choose to help at her discretion. Her money is her money. If I run into shortage, I may borrow from her- pick the bills. When I'm back on my feet, I'll pay back to the last dime.

Besides, who wouldn't be proud of a woman that makes more benjamins than he does? I definitely will be. On an alternate universe, I'll see it as a challenge to hustle harder and be the man she will always be proud of. Only insecure men go about hating on their wife's better income. Only lazy men will sit at home and wait for madam to pick family bills. I'm none of those.

My humble submission.

I like this dude...One quick question : Are thou taken? grin

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by donodion(m): 6:01am On Aug 30, 2014
Ezibless: They should live happily and ever after.
It's now the FAMILY money and not just her's.

hear hear. Listen to her.Those are words of experience
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by jaybee3(m): 6:03am On Aug 30, 2014
kreezzy: I like this dude
What plans do you have for your own income once married?

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by jaybee3(m): 6:10am On Aug 30, 2014
tyconcepts:

Funny how you failed to spot an unhealthy "competitive spirit" in his submission.

Would he eventually get frustrated if he isn't able to par or rise above the income of the wife?
Would that eventually lead to some sort of jealousy in the long run?

Funny how women fail to analyse the important aspects when choosing a life partner

4 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by ElekeNtioba: 6:11am On Aug 30, 2014
Marriage is a PARTNERSHIP not a COMPETITION. Its only an insecure man that will feel threatened by his wife earning more than him.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by jaybee3(m): 6:15am On Aug 30, 2014
Nothing should happen if the wife earns more

If you marry a good wife she will know where and when to support the family course

At the end of the day, a good man should always encourage/support his better half to be the best they can be beit in career or as person. If that brings more blessings to the family then super welcomed. Under no circumstances should uplifting of either couple transcends into ugly friction.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by lonelydora: 6:22am On Aug 30, 2014
My mother-in-law earns far above my father-in-law but you can never know because they understand themselves.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by nonyb1(m): 6:29am On Aug 30, 2014
nikkygal: Been there done that! When I met my hubby, I was already earning more than 3 times his salary...but one of the things that attracted me to him was the fact that he was very secure and never felt threatened by that. As a matter if fact, he seemed very proud of my achievements at such a young age and always handy to provide advice or support ...I married him particularly because of that singular trait amongst others because I had seen many other guys that were either just intimidated or just wanted a complementary meal ticket...

Fastforward a few yrs later, the Mr resigned from his job and moved into business like he's always wanted from time. I was scared initially of what the future held,however, I put in a good chunk of my savings there, prayed hard and now story has changed..Even with my increased income, my guy is 'doing almost twice' of mine and controlling so much that it all seems surreal.

My inlaws initially were wary of our marriage and thought I might be bossy & domineering, I guess they now know better.... Of course my MIL is now particularly glad since her son's levels have changed now and she can now brag about so much....lol! But it's all good even though I & the hubby know the "koko" of our story...cheesy
These days, we just plan the finances together and make sure we remain transparent and united even in executing our plans. He always thanks me for believing in him and actually 'investing' in his dream. Honestly, I appreciate him more because I know the kind of marital issues a lot of my female colleagues face at home due to their superior earning power. As a lot of your actions are mis-construed easily to mean that you're bragging because you're the one paying the major bills.

I'll say it's tough for women earning more than their spouses because more often not, men have the tendency to get easily intimidated by their spouses. For men that see money as a control tool, the marriage will remain turbulent as the woman will always be seen as threatening the husband's position as the head.
Some wives have also attempted severally to help their spouses financially, but they just squander all the money on frivolities. That's one of the things that makes women buy properties in secret and make under-G investments so as to secure her future with the kids..It's a catch22 situation for women...ko easy rara!

your brain valid joor,oya chop knuckles
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Ezibless: 6:31am On Aug 30, 2014
donodion:

hear hear. Listen to her.Those are words of experience
Lol @ Words of experience.

cheesy
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 6:32am On Aug 30, 2014
What happens is dat d family seems 2 enjoy more. Its a thing of joy nt one to b envious of like seriously...

Abi okunrin yen o fe ki iyawo sorire ni? (shay the man no want him wife progress ni?)....
Its d Lord's doing nd simply should b marvelous in their eyes. tongue grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by ohzee(f): 7:01am On Aug 30, 2014
Not trying to derail the thread but on the other hand, what about a woman whose husband earns more than her but keeps her money entirely to herself and leaves him to shoulder all the responsibilities? To me it's not a matter of who earns more. It's for the couple to realise that marriage is the first partnership instituted by God. Always bring whatever you 'own' to the table and be open with it. Don't be attached to your possessions

8 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by gistmelove(m): 7:01am On Aug 30, 2014
Urgent Needed
Post: Online Marketer, Field marketer that can drive, Secretary
Location: Ajah/ibeju lekki Area, Abeokuta,Ibadan,Benin, Port Harcourt
Send Ur C.v to: batlanrooftile@ gmail.com
Contact No: 08120819063, 08085310359
Head Office Address: Queens shopping plaza suite 11/12 km 45 Lekki Epe express way.. Opp safeway Sangotedo, Ajah, Lagos
PH Branch : 608, ikwerre road by mcc second gate bus-stop rumuigbo Port Harcourt, River State..
Abeokuta Branch: Suite 4,Shoyemu Complex, Abiola Way, Opp KAAB Petrol Station. Leme, Abeokuta Ogun state
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by YoungDaNaval(m): 7:02am On Aug 30, 2014
Rehil: It all boils down to d couples.i know that we are one,[b]so wat belongs to me belong to him.[/b]he is the head of the family no matter what.God has placed him n not man who am i to question my God?i use to earn more than my husband some years back but i made sure i always present the money to him as our money.Presently i am not working,he collects his salary,brings it home n says its our salary.honestly dia shouldnt be division in d family as to who earns more,what d woman has belongs to d man n vice versa.u can earn millions more than ur husband but without his blessing and unity in the home u may never see the usefulness of such money.
Wow! BIKO WILL YOU MARRY ME??
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Mhizdimplez(f): 7:11am On Aug 30, 2014
Dominionng: Either way, some in-laws will still hate!
that's if they get to know.......
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Amhappy(f): 7:13am On Aug 30, 2014
montestic: my inlaw became jealous wen my eldest sister, her wife, started her own trading busines & was doing wel. busines waz moving. she was contributing like 50% of d upkeep of d house. his husband would destroy her articles for sell and disgrace her in public once there was a little argument. he beat her atimes. nw her busines has fallen they are nw feeding frm hand to mouth. pity them. they cant even get a decent apartment. frm flat to 2 rooms, frm there to batcher without a good convinience wit 6 children.
This is so sad. I am sure your inlaw is happier now
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by janykute: 7:23am On Aug 30, 2014
YoungDaNaval: Wow! BIKO WILL YOU MARRY ME??
Bitter kola they say is not as sweet as it sounds when being chewed.
Give a woman full power and see what they are Truly made of.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Missmossy(f): 7:29am On Aug 30, 2014
As usual the gibberish flows,talk is cheaptongue get there first and relay first hand information.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Purecotton: 7:31am On Aug 30, 2014
This is exactly what I'm facing.

I have always had a stable job and earned more than my husband even before we got married. About two years before our marriage, God blessed me with another fantastic job.

When I landed the plum job, he didn't want me to take it and he wanted me to relocate but I refused and stood my grounds. I was really hurt then because the only reason I could think to explain why he would want me to turn down a dream job was jealousy. That job that he wanted me to turn down has turned out to be a source of blessing to him as I have helped him in more ways than one. Although he later apologised about his attitude.

He's not proud of my achievements, doesn't support me, doesn't ask after my career progression and he is always quick to talk down on my job when he's discussing with his friends and family. He keeps saying that "I'm just lucky" to have gotten the job. This hurts me so much because I have worked hard and really excelled at my job and worked really hard to keep it. I spoke to him about it, initially he denied it and claimed he supports me and he later apologised.

He didn't have a car and when I couldn't bear the embarrassment on him, I bought a top of the range car for him with all the documents in his name even before we got married. So many things I have done for him all to the Glory of God.

He works but his salary isn't much and can barely sustain him. The sad part is that both him and his family have refused to come to terms with his financial situation. They wanted me to resign from my job (again) before we officially got married and relocate to be in the state where he was and this caused so much fight because I kept asking how we were going to survive if I made such a move without a new source of income. I stood my grounds again and refused that I wasn't going nowhere. It seems they would rather see us live hand to mouth to prove a point that he's the 'breadwinner'. Today, I'm happy I didn't make the move because if I did, I don't know how we would have survived. My husband and I live a very comfortable life. . . . and I keep wondering why anyone would want to trade comfort for poverty/hardship.

I feel he is jealous and so is his family and it really hurts me. A man should see his wife as a pillar of support and a channel of a God's blessings in his life and not someone he should compete with or feel threatened by.

With all these, I still love my husband, I support him, I encourage him to succeed and I keep praying for him.

Sometimes I think the reason why things haven't picked up for him is as a result of his attitude. Maybe if he was more appreciative, proud, thankful and supportive of God's blessing (me), God would have also reciprocated and blessed him even more than he has blessed me.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by 234GT(m): 7:31am On Aug 30, 2014
The reality is that only a few ladies who earn far more than their husbands will remain submissive over time.

Forget all thses sweet talks. Money intoxicates!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by pappilo(m): 7:32am On Aug 30, 2014
abbakacici: why should i care, how much my wife make, because all i know is that all the bills from feeding, clothing, school fees accommodation etc are my responsible. and if my wife think that the house or food am providing is below her standard then we can go our separate ways. may be is my african ego but i dont believe wives should contribute to upkeep of the family nor matter how much they earn. may be once a while if the husband is low on cash and wife may help out.

So what will your wife use her salary for? Buy lace and gold?
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by lomaxx: 7:36am On Aug 30, 2014
tyconcepts:

I've been taken by 7 women, one for each day of the week. But I'm actually looking for an 8th- for the rest of my life.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by kakakent: 7:40am On Aug 30, 2014
Rehil: It all boils down to d couples.i know that we are one,so wat belongs to me belong to him.he is the head of the family no matter what.God has placed him n not man who am i to question my God?i use to earn more than my husband some years back but i made sure i always present the money to him as our money.Presently i am not working,he collects his salary,brings it home n says its our salary.honestly dia shouldnt be division in d family as to who earns more,what d woman has belongs to d man n vice versa.u can earn millions more than ur husband but without his blessing and unity in the home u may never see the usefulness of such money.

Good day ma I hope our young girls will see this not all those useless feministic post where dem dey advise women to go fight there hussies

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 30, 2014
jaybee3:
What plans do you have for your own income once married?

Supporting my husband

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? / What Is Your Orientation As To Non-ijebu Yourbas Marrying Ijebu Citizen??? / Laconco Biography: Age, Child, New Body, Husband, Real Name, Weight Loss, Son

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.