Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,383 members, 7,958,075 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:21 AM

What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . (19988 Views)

His Wife Earns Four Times His Salary And Someone Must Resign / Photo Of The Day: When Your Wife Earns More Than You. / When The Wife Earns And Contribute More To The Union? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by userbusy21: 9:36am On Aug 30, 2014
lomaxx: My wife earning more than me doesn't automatically translate to her being the breadwinner. I will pick all my family bills to the last naira - my wife may choose to help at her discretion. Her money is her money. If I run into shortage, I may borrow from her- pick the bills. When I'm back on my feet, I'll pay back to the last dime.

Besides, who wouldn't be proud of a woman that makes more benjamins than he does? I definitely will be. On an alternate universe, I'll see it as a challenge to hustle harder and be the man she will always be proud of. Only insecure men go about hating on their wife's better income. Only lazy men will sit at home and wait for madam to pick family bills. I'm none of those.

My humble submission.
I love this guy, my husband is the most insecure man for that reason and for that reason he frustrate me while working. your wife must be happy to have you. good guy

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by ayando(m): 9:37am On Aug 30, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
if you borrow money from your wife, then she is not really your wife.
. I didn't understand at first but now I do. But some situations may warrant it Ooº°Ú Ú°ºoo. There are different angles to this you know. Borrowing from each other isn't a big deal but the ability to keep ur end of d deal n the discretion to let go lie with the individual n it is subject to previous dealings.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by YoungDaNaval(m): 9:42am On Aug 30, 2014
Rehil: hahahahahaha yes i will
Wooow!! *Dancing Sekem*

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by montestic(m): 9:45am On Aug 30, 2014
alotofgrace:

batcher? shocked

i dont know what she did to suffer these, was she becoming arrogant, disrespectful or bossy?

bossy? nooooo!!

d man has always been egocentric. full of himself. at a time he was having an affair outside his matrimonial home. the worst that pained me was that my kid sister that was living with them then , he wanted to sleep with her. she refused and told me bcs d man started being harsh on her my kid sis. so my sis left them and started staying with us at my uncles house. she got married in 2008 with two kids now and happy.
later my inlaw started claiming born again and became an elder in church yet was still jealous but atimes he will try to b nice to d wife.

but now they are all living in a one room Batcher with no good toilet.I lant they bury shit on the ground. I so much pity them. 2 of their kids are now staying apart. 1 with my mum d other with another of my sista.

if he had supported d wife well when her business was booming I doubt if they would have been in this situation.

how can a man destroy the goods of the wife in public?
whenever he was coming home, instead of my sister to b happy, she will b scared

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by montestic(m): 9:50am On Aug 30, 2014
allanphash7: your in law or you? you better confess

mtcheww

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by alotofgrace(m): 9:55am On Aug 30, 2014
montestic:

bossy? nooooo!!

d man has always been egocentric. full of himself. at a time he was having an affair outside his matrimonial home. the worst that pained me was that my kid sister that was living with them then , he wanted to sleep with her. she refused and told me bcs d man started being harsh on her my kid sis. so my sis left them and started staying with us at my uncles house. she got married in 2008 with two kids now and happy.
later my inlaw started claiming born again and became an elder in church yet was still jealous but atimes he will try to b nice to d wife.

but now they are all living in a one room Batcher with no good toilet.I lant they bury shit on the ground. I so much pity them. 2 of their kids are now staying apart. 1 with my mum d other with another of my sista.

if he had supported d wife well when her business was booming I doubt if they would have been in this situation.

how can a man destroy the goods of the wife in public?
whenever he was coming home, instead of my sister to b happy, she will b scared

mehn i have something 4u..... i call it before its too late:

HE SENT ME FLOWERS

We had our first argument last night, and he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me. I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said, because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today. It wasn't our anniversary or any other special day. Last night he threw me into a wall and started to choke me. It seemed like a nightmare, I couldn't believe it was real.

I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over. I know he must be sorry because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today, and it wasn't mother's day or any other special day. Last night, he beat me up again, it was much worse than all the other times. If I leave him, what will I do? How will I take care of my kids? What about money? I'm afraid of him and scared to leave. But I know he must be sorry because he sent me flowers today.

I got flowers today. Today was a very special day. It was the day of my funeral. Last night, he finally killed me. He beat me to death. If only I had gathered enough courage to leave him, I would not have gotten flowers today.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by allanphash7(m): 9:57am On Aug 30, 2014
same to you
montestic:

mtcheww
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by montestic(m): 10:00am On Aug 30, 2014
Amhappy: This is so sad. I am sure your inlaw is happier now

no . they r just managing in d 1 room Batcher without any good toilet. d wife sells pure water now and small bread few things in front of the house. d husband is just managing his little business.

when I heard of their condition I nearly wept. I went there once it was an eyesore.
I blame my sister.
how can a man her fiance then tell her that she shouldn't go to university that lecturers would spoil her and she foolishly agreed. they married in 1996.

I pray God intervene in their condition

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by 2romantic: 10:06am On Aug 30, 2014
allanphash7: same to you

u must b a mugu abii moronnn
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by claremont(m): 10:08am On Aug 30, 2014
I am of the opinion that the expenses of the home should be shared in such a way that the person who earns more gets the lion share. It makes no sense whatsoever that in this day and age a man would want to shoulder the lion share even though he earns remarkably less than his partner, that's illogical and clearly shows chauvinism at work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by allanphash7(m): 10:10am On Aug 30, 2014
am so sure of something, is either you lack home training or you were trained but u refused to heed to the training. idiot like you
2romantic:

u must b a mugu abii moronnn
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by sniperwolf(m): 10:26am On Aug 30, 2014
Whether she earns more or less than me 60% of her salary belongs to me for running of our home. She can use the remaining 40% at her discretion

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by hizaya61(m): 10:46am On Aug 30, 2014
pride and been arrogant, she automatically become the husband, and you automatically turn to househelp, pick up the children from school, go to market and get food items, get home as early as possible to make sure food is ready and laundry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by amanikondo: 11:03am On Aug 30, 2014
nikkygal: Been there done that! When I met my hubby, I was already earning more than 3 times his salary...but one of the things that attracted me to him was the fact that he was very secure and never felt threatened by that. As a matter if fact, he seemed very proud of my achievements at such a young age and always handy to provide advice or support ...I married him particularly because of that singular trait amongst others because I had seen many other guys that were either just intimidated or just wanted a complementary meal ticket...

Fastforward a few yrs later, the Mr resigned from his job and moved into business like he's always wanted from time. I was scared initially of what the future held,however, I put in a good chunk of my savings there, prayed hard and now story has changed..Even with my increased income, my guy is 'doing almost twice' of mine and controlling so much that it all seems surreal.

My inlaws initially were wary of our marriage and thought I might be bossy & domineering, I guess they now know better.... Of course my MIL is now particularly glad since her son's levels have changed now and she can now brag about so much....lol! But it's all good even though I & the hubby know the "koko" of our story...cheesy
These days, we just plan the finances together and make sure we remain transparent and united even in executing our plans. He always thanks me for believing in him and actually 'investing' in his dream. Honestly, I appreciate him more because I know the kind of marital issues a lot of my female colleagues face at home due to their superior earning power. As a lot of your actions are mis-construed easily to mean that you're bragging because you're the one paying the major bills.

I'll say it's tough for women earning more than their spouses because more often not, men have the tendency to get easily intimidated by their spouses. For men that see money as a control tool, the marriage will remain turbulent as the woman will always be seen as threatening the husband's position as the head.
Some wives have also attempted severally to help their spouses financially, but they just squander all the money on frivolities. That's one of the things that makes women buy properties in secret and make under-G investments so as to secure her future with the kids..It's a catch22 situation for women...ko easy rara!

My wife just got another oil and gas job that doubled her salary. You know what I did? I bought her a new car and I increased house chores to support her.
I think we are even in terms money now and it is a blessing for the Family.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Junipero: 11:16am On Aug 30, 2014
All the People coming here to air out how richer they were than their Spouses. How they supported him/her. How in-laws hated on the situation. I have just one thing to point out.

With all due respect, you all have failed the first test. The Law of Subtlety in Marital Unions. What does this mean?

Subtlety in terms of keeping private family issues personal. You as a good partner shouldn't come here to explain how not-so-good your Partner is/was doing.

Why not just be coy about it and pass the important message. I don't know if you are getting my point. He/She is your other Half. Keep it low-key.

All the same, may your marriages move from strength to strength. Jah Bless!

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by lalasticlala(m): 11:16am On Aug 30, 2014
claremont: I am of the opinion that the expenses of the home should be shared in such a way that the person who earns more gets the lion share. It makes no sense whatsoever that in this day and age a man would want to shoulder the lion share even though he earns remarkably less than his partner, that's illogical and clearly shows chauvinism at work.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Mendo007(m): 11:24am On Aug 30, 2014
kreezzy: I don't want to marry him. And let him speak for himself
I never said that
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Tushborn: 11:33am On Aug 30, 2014
kreezzy: I like this dude
i dey jealos

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Zekkmixes(f): 11:38am On Aug 30, 2014

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Zekkmixes(f): 11:40am On Aug 30, 2014

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by F117A: 11:50am On Aug 30, 2014
userbusy21:
I love this guy, my husband is the most insecure man for that reason and for that reason he frustrate me while working. your wife must be happy to have you. good guy
smh
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Lightening: 11:55am On Aug 30, 2014
virago:

Even a stark illiterate can become a multi millionaire tomorrow , education is not the only key to riches

Very correct. Confirm from PEJ

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Lightening: 12:09pm On Aug 30, 2014
oz4christ: It is indeed ok for a woman to earn more but guys, let's be honest. Look around u and tell me the kind of women u see. Only a few will earn more and still respect their husbands. These things are easier said than done. Even born again Christians don't. It starts little by little. Unless the man choose to play a fool.

Your wife can earn much more without any qualms on the relationship. In most cases, what causes the resentment men interprete as arrogant is if the man is not doing his best or outrightly lazy, ( which is increasingly the order of the days), while she inturn slaves to earn the money used to support the man.

Respect comes naturally from your exploits. God commanded women to respect their husbands because He expects that men be hardworking like Him, their creator.

No reasonable woman would be convinced that her husband is doing his best ( even without so much to show for it) without opening her treasury to support him totally.

So Men, let's wake up!

4 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 30, 2014
I love you for this statement. I wish every lady can be like you. May God bless you and also bless me with a good wife soon....
Rehil: It all boils down to d couples.i know that we are one,so wat belongs to me belong to him.he is the head of the family no matter what.God has placed him n not man who am i to question my God?i use to earn more than my husband some years back but i made sure i always present the money to him as our money.Presently i am not working,he collects his salary,brings it home n says its our salary.honestly dia shouldnt be division in d family as to who earns more,what d woman has belongs to d man n vice versa.u can earn millions more than ur husband but without his blessing and unity in the home u may never see the usefulness of such money.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Godmystrength: 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2014
nothing will happen. More money for the family. SIMPLE.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Lightening: 12:26pm On Aug 30, 2014
Junipero: All the Ladies coming here to air out how richer they were than their Spouses. How they supported him/her. How in-laws hated on the situation. I have just one thing to point out.

With all due respect, you all have failed the first test. The Law of Subtlety in Marital Unions. What does this mean?

Subtlety in terms of keeping private family issues personal. You as a good partner shouldn't come here to explain how not-so-good your Partner is/was doing.

Why not just be coy about it and pass the important message. I don't know if you are getting my point. He/She is your other Half. Keep it low-key.

All the same, may your marriages move from strength to strength. Jah Bless!

Pls can you tell us the real-life identities of these ladies?

4 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Godmystrength: 12:32pm On Aug 30, 2014
hizaya61: pride and been arrogant, she automatically become the
husband, and you automatically turn to househelp, pick up the children
from school, go to market and get food items, get home as early as
possible to make sure food is ready and laundry
a spouse is seen as a househelp because of doing the above??

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Godmystrength: 12:39pm On Aug 30, 2014
@Junipero- Please help me tell my husband next time you see him that i told you on NL that i earn more than him...tongue

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Purecotton: 12:44pm On Aug 30, 2014
Lightening:

Your wife can earn much more without any qualms on the relationship. In most cases, what causes the resentment men interprete as arrogant is if the man is not doing his best or outrightly lazy, ( which is increasingly the order of the days), while she inturn slaves to earn the money used to support the man.

Respect comes naturally from your exploits. God commanded women to respect their husbands because He expects that men be hardworking like Him, their creator.

No reasonable woman would be convinced that her husband is doing his best ( even without so much to show for it) without opening her treasury to support him totally.

So Men, let's wake up!

God bless you real good for this. Amen.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 30, 2014
no biggie, I don't see any issue with that.
Re: What Happens When The Wife Earns More? . by blakky97(m): 1:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
lomaxx: My wife earning more than me doesn't automatically translate to her being the breadwinner. I will pick all my family bills to the last naira - my wife may choose to help at her discretion. Her money is her money. If I run into shortage, I may borrow from her- pick the bills. When I'm back on my feet, I'll pay back to the last dime.

Besides, who wouldn't be proud of a woman that makes more benjamins than he does? I definitely will be. On an alternate universe, I'll see it as a challenge to hustle harder and be the man she will always be proud of. Only insecure men go about hating on their wife's better income. Only lazy men will sit at home and wait for madam to pick family bills. I'm none of those.

My humble submission.
I respect your opinion. But there is more to this issue than meet the eyes. The topic is : will a once upon a time humble woman, overrule you if she suddenly gets rich? Love dies when certain principles change. You may have loved here when she is under you and not above, and so may she- she may have respected you when she's below, and not above, and when this dynamics change, a resention grows which can develope into disdain.
Talking about her social status been a reason or challange on you to hustle and be the man she will be proud of, I guess there is in that statement an element that self contradicts your principle. That is another way of saying- for she to be proud of you, or for you to feel qualified to be her man, you will not rest in the struggle to meet up financially, meaning you will do things you may not necessarily have done if she wasn't as rich as you. You will not accept any inferiority complex. That means you have confirmed in an equivocal manner that a challenge actually exist if she is richer!
Lastly, people discuss issues of life sometimes in a manner they prefer it to be, and not the way life is actually. If your wife (a tailor for example) suddenly got a state contract to sew curtains in government house for patricia Eteh,and supply uniform for nysc, and nigerian immigration, if she makes about 900, million in all, and you are a salary earner with 50k a month, your wife employs drivers and cleaners at 80k a month, what kind of business or hussle can you possibly do in this real world ( not day dream, not blue sky thinking, not mouth) that will make you rich enough to earn her respect assuming she loved you better when she was earning 5k a month by patching clothes.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? / What Are The Factors/things That Can Affect Pregnancy & Pregnant Women? / Nigerian Couple Celebrate Birth Of Their Triplets After 15 Years Of Waiting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.