Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145164 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2014
Plz ℓ̊ hav water melon farm,ℓ̊ rili nid yur help cn yu snd ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ yur numba
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 11:52am On Sep 04, 2014
Day 4: @ day four stil no rain but the morning and nite dews ve done the needed miracle. Our seeds ve sprouted out. Here are the pics

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by benELOHIM7(m): 11:52am On Sep 04, 2014
op allow me deviate a bit pls......God is indeed great cry
MANGAM: Day 4: @ day four stil no rain but the morning and nite dews ve done the needed miracle. Our seeds ve sprouted out. Here are the pics

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by flowers4me(f): 11:54am On Sep 04, 2014
Thank you Mr. Mangam, i so much like what you are doing here. Kudos!!
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 04, 2014
@Mangam, thanks for sharing. I live in Ibadan and I'll like to plant in my garden just for family consumption. I've read through your posts and you've answered most of my questions. However, I still have 1 or 2:

How many seeds do I put in one planting hole?

I have bought 3 large sized water melons and I'm planning to sun-dry the seed for 3 days like you said. You said it doesn't like too much water;can i still plant now despite the rain?

I don't really know how to make ridges, my husband is a busy bee and my garden is too small to engage the service of a labourer. Do I need to make ridges or can I just dig and plant(land is fertle)?

Can I just weed manually instead of using herbicide?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by iamdsam: 12:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
Can the plant be able to grow in all parts of Nigeria?
MANGAM: By elyjay

Watermelon, citrullus lanatus rank third among the world highly cultivated crops, superseded only by potato and tomato in that order. In fact planting watermelon made me become lazy and mono cropper. Before I started planting watermelon, my chief crops were maize, cassava, yam, cocoyam and rice. But after planting watermelon for two years, I abandoned other crops and concentrated on watermelon till today.
When you are considering quick cash in farming, watermelon is among the crops to consider. The gestation is not more than 80 days, money don come. Kudi yaazo. Cultivated all over tropical climate the largest producers are China, Turkey, Iran, Brazil and U. S. A. in that order. It is produced all over in Nigeria from Maiduguri to Lagos and from Sokoto to Calabar.

Time of planting In southern Nigeria
We have three planting seasons: Early planting is in March, Mid season planting and the most lucrative but risky is June 25 to July 15. Late season planting is August 15 to September 15 in Kwara Oyo and northern parts of Ogun state. Planting in south Ogun, that is Ilaro, Ifo, Ota, Idiropo to Badagry in Lagos is September 15 to October 15. This is
because late rains last till December in these areas.
In the Northern Parts; early season planting is in May and late season planting is July. But with functional irrigation in the north, they are able to plant throughout the year .Lake chad basin in Bornu, Hadeja river basin in Kano are the major irrigation projects turning out watermelon all year round in Nigeria. I am aware that when the price goes so high watermelon is imported into Nigeria from Niger, Chad, Benin and Togo republics.

LAND PREPARATION
Watermelon requires loamy soil or silt loam soil it also perform well on heavy soil if it is well-drained. It does not tolerate waterlogging at all. So if planting on heavy soil, ridging will be helpful to improve drainage. On loamy soil, we normally plant on the flat land. Plowing starts immediately on the first rain. Even if the first rain comes in January, plow the land ready for the second operation.
If the second rain comes any time after February 15th, we can plant in Lagos and southern parts of Ogun state. In other parts, Igbogila, Ayetoro, Abeokuta, Odeda and all parts of Oyo state should plant in March. Planting should stop by the end of March. If you risk planting in very early April, you may succeed but if the June rain should start before 15th of June forget it. The tendency is that either the melon will not ripe or you loose a lot to blossom and it rots. Maturity takes a minimum of 75 days. On the second rain or within the stipulated time, harrow or replow and plant immediately. Experience has shown that portions planted immediately after plowing records higher germination percentage than portions planted the following day unless there is overnight rain.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:05pm On Sep 04, 2014
U can reach me on talk2manga@yahoo.com
judemorfy: Plz ℓ̊ hav water melon farm,ℓ̊ rili nid yur help cn yu snd ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ yur numba
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MissW: 12:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
following

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Thank for visting my farm
flowers4me: Thank you Mr. Mangam, i so much like what you are doing here. Kudos!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
U can plant 2-3 seeds per hole and since ur are in the south u can just plant without ridges but weed b4 planting. Pics of fresh seeds to be sun dried
candy: @Mangam, thanks for sharing. I live in Ibadan and I'll like to plant in my garden just for family consumption. I've read through your posts and you've answered most of my questions. However, I still have 1 or 2:

How many seeds do I put in one planting hole?

I have bought 3 large sized water melons and I'm planning to sun-dry the seed for 3 days like you said. You said it doesn't like too much water;can i still plant now despite the rain?

I don't really know how to make ridges, my husband is a busy bee and my garden is too small to engage the service of a labourer. Do I need to make ridges or can I just dig and plant(land is fertle)?

Can I just weed manually instead of using herbicide?

Thanks.

1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Philawole(m): 12:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
Actually worked on watermelon as Project in school...Effects of spacing nd plant density on growth and fruit yield of water melon. Planted 'sugar baby'
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Ebi4life: 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: U ve now to mid september in Kd
. Its raining frequently in kaduna nw.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 12:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
Wen shud ℓ̊ start apply fertiliza on my watermelon n how often shud ℓ̊ apply it
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: U can plant 2-3 seeds per hole and since ur are in the south u can just plant without ridges but weed b4 planting. Pics of fresh seeds to be sun dried
Thanks for your timely response sir. Pls sir, I will crave your indulgence one more time- you left out the herbicide part: can I just weed after planting instead of using herbicide?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
Double post
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:43pm On Sep 04, 2014
Pls don't apply fertilizer on ur watermelon. Just like melon(egusi) and beans, watermelon don't need fertilizer
judemorfy: Wen shud ℓ̊ start apply fertiliza on my watermelon n how often shud ℓ̊ apply it
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 12:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
I will advice u weed or apply ur herbicide b4 plantingquote author=candy]
Thanks for your timely response sir. Pls sir, I will crave your indulgence one more time- you left out the herbicide part: can I just weed after planting instead of using herbicide?[/quote]
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by SPSpecial(m): 12:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: I don't grow apple. Take time and study it and create a thread to educate us all abt growing apples

Yeah, you gat a point. I'v being longing for that. Make i start to dey make my research.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Pavore9: 12:51pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: No alternative water source, just waiting for the rain to come. The morning dew is really helping out and it has done the needed miracle. I will upload pics later
l will be following you till harvest.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 1:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
I will always keep u updated wit photos
Pavore9: l will be following you till harvest.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice and informative thread for melon farmers.
keep it up guys.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: Distance shouldn't be more than 2 feet and u apply herbicides so as to kill the weeds. Watermelon don't like much water and this is the reason its planted early and ending of the raining reason

Thank u. Pls how many seeds in one planting?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by juman(m): 1:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Developing agriculture is very important to greatly improve our economy.

But those yoruba governors are not interested in developing agriculture.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Itydee(m): 1:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
Please this is important ooo. OP can you tell us when to plant in Akwa Ibom andRivers.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 1:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
2-3 seeds will do
chidyhels:

Thank u. Pls how many seeds in one planting?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 1:54pm On Sep 04, 2014
Early october
Itydee: Please this is important ooo. OP can you tell us when to plant in Akwa Ibom andRivers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by horppe89: 3:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Whao this is lovely. Am going to buy watermelon today, sun dry the seed and plant it.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by newacca: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Good job here. cool
@Op and other members of this house, please where can someone get watermelon seeds in Ogun State? Any location in Abeokuta?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Vanpascore(m): 3:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
Weldone OP, I love this thread and i say kudos to you. In addition pls, those of you asking for where to get d seed, u can buy a big water melon, cut into two and keep it somewhere for 3-4 days to ferment, get the seed there, wash with water to separate the seed from d decayed rubbish and sun dry as directed by the OP

DO NOT PLANT THE SEED THAT HAS MIXED WITH SALIVA, IT WILL NOT GROW.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by babybos(m): 4:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
GOOD TOPIC / THREAD . YOU ARE ONE IN A MILLIONS NIGERIANS THAT IS NOT SELFISH. THIS IS ENCOURAGING O AM GOING TO TRY IT ON MY BACKYARD. GOD WILL BLESS YOU FOR BEING A BLESSING TO OTHERS. SOME HUNGRY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE BEEN ADVERTISING AN E- BOOK THAT BRING NO RESULT. BUT YOU ARE DOING YOUR OWN FREE STEP BY STEP WITH PHOTOGRAPHY FOR MORE ENLIGHTMENT. I RECOMMEND YOU FOR NATIONAL HONOUR. THANKS

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by aminu150(m): 6:16pm On Sep 04, 2014
@op i am a newbie in farming watermelon. Got some seeds that i planted around 47 pieces in a small farmland. Planted mine on 31 august in Kano. I was told i need to spray pesticide due to flies that eat the leaves of of the melon. Is it true @Manga?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.