Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,648 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145053 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by dgitrader(m): 6:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
Vanpascore: Weldone OP, I love this thread and i say kudos to you. In addition pls, those of you asking for where to get d seed, u can buy a big water melon, cut into two and keep it somewhere for 3-4 days to ferment, get the seed there, wash with water to separate the seed from d decayed rubbish and sun dry as directed by the OP

DO NOT PLANT THE SEED THAT HAS MIXED WITH SALIVA, IT WILL NOT GROW.

Wow
The part in CAPS is interesting.
But how well should the seeds be sun-dryed?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Try and u won't regret it. Is fun
horppe89: Whao this is lovely. Am going to buy watermelon today, sun dry the seed and plant it.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by klensx: 6:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nice one, i will follow you up too.

Brand new octa core phones & Tablets running Android 4.4.2 kit Kat from N15000 up and import anything from China etc. O8IO8I3I92O, BBM 7523226E. www.nairaland.com/1801065/import-cheapest-octa-core-quad
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 6:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
Thank u Vanpascorce, I heard abt mixing the seeds with siliva won't make it germinate. Is there a proven theory to it or is just a myth? Howere, I got my last seeds from a rotten watermelon. Here is the pic
Vanpascore: Weldone OP, I love this thread and i say kudos to you. In addition pls, those of you asking for where to get d seed, u can buy a big water melon, cut into two and keep it somewhere for 3-4 days to ferment, get the seed there, wash with water to separate the seed from d decayed rubbish and sun dry as directed by the OP

DO NOT PLANT THE SEED THAT HAS MIXED WITH SALIVA, IT WILL NOT GROW.

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 7:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Flies eating the leaves? Am hearing this for the first time.
aminu150: @op i am a newbie in farming watermelon. Got some seeds that i planted around 47 pieces in a small farmland. Planted mine on 31 august in Kano. I was told i need to spray pesticide due to flies that eat the leaves of of the melon. Is it true @Manga?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by roxell120(m): 7:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: I ve a ripe banana in my farm and I never knew.
quite an elated nigerian farmer ive ever seen.no monkeys around to savour dat banana?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
Thanks very much for opening this thread bro, I learnt that the leaves of the W/mellon is so tasty, and that attract insects to feed on them thereby making the plant nt to do well. And that there is need to apply insecticide; how true is that, if true what type of insecticide is used for it and when to apply it?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 7:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
aminu150: @op i am a newbie in farming watermelon. Got some seeds that i planted around 47 pieces in a small farmland. Planted mine on 31 august in Kano. I was told i need to spray pesticide due to flies that eat the leaves of of the melon. Is it true @Manga?
♈̷̴̩ε̲̣̣̣̥α,yu shud. insects already
Sstarted eating up mine until ℓ̊ sprayed insecticide
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 8:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
lif2uz: Thanks very much for opening this thread bro, I learnt that the leaves of the W/mellon is so tasty, and that attract insects to feed on them thereby making the plant nt to do well. And that there is need to apply insecticide; how true is that, if true what type of insecticide is used for it and when to apply it?
yea is true,mine was attacked by insect until ℓ̊ sprayed insecticide
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by MANGAM(m): 8:13pm On Sep 04, 2014
I planted watermelon 2yrs ago on abt 5 hectare somewhere in Nasarawa state and the yield was high and no insecticide or pesticide was applied. Maybe the insects attack in certain region of Nigeria. I will visit an agro shop to find out more and what pesticide to use and possibly share photos with the house
judemorfy: ♈̷̴̩ε̲̣̣̣̥α,yu shud. insects already
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 8:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=judemorfy]yea is true,mine was attacked by insect until ℓ̊ sprayed insecticide
tnx bro, what type of insecticide you applied, when to spray and how many times to apply it before harvest?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by texybaby(f): 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Wow this is so beautiful@op u hv helped alot i will contact u pls when i wanna start it For more details..........i hv begged a frd For more than 2yrs to teach me this faa bt to no avail.....kudos to u op..
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Vanpascore(m): 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
dgitrader:

Wow
The part in CAPS is interesting.
But how well should the seeds be sun-dryed?

Just get d seed by any means apart from eating. When u plant a dried seed, It makes it grow better. Let it dry completely, d days depend on d intensity of sun in ur area.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 9:23pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: I planted watermelon 2yrs ago on abt 5 hectare somewhere in Nasarawa state and the yield was high and no insecticide or pesticide was applied. Maybe the insects attack in certain region of Nigeria. I will visit an agro shop to find out more and what pesticide to use and possibly share photos with the house
ℓ̊ fink it depends on the area still,bt in south(Edo State) insects attack the plant. Dont knw how often it shud be aplied,ℓ̊'v only sprayed once
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by judemorfy(m): 9:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
[quote author=lif2uz][/quote]ℓ̊'ll check the name of the fertiliza 2moro,bt dont knw how often it shud be aplied,ℓ̊'v only aplied once,Herbicide is uproot Y the pesticide is Cypeforce,vry active

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Vanpascore(m): 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
MANGAM: Thank u Vanpascorce, I heard abt mixing the seeds with siliva won't make it germinate. Is there a proven theory to it or is just a myth? Howere, I got my last seeds from a rotten watermelon. Here is the pic

I think it is by myth, also, may be as a result of the alkalinity of d saliva. I was told by an elderly man after i planted several times and it refused to germinate, but after i used d seed i got from a rotten one, bro, it came out very fine. Man, mine is for my family consumption.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Daniel058(m): 10:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
Dexpro:
Oga flis make i no bes. Yi hakuri. Turanci mode activated!
kei! I wan telli me say,i no dey Kworet??...if i kwomot my DAGA, make i no run....lolz!!
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Dexpro: 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Daniel058: kei! I wan telli me say,i no dey Kworet??...if i kwomot my DAGA, make i no run....lolz!!
Make i flash u my goro teeth grin grin grin
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Daniel058(m): 10:16pm On Sep 04, 2014
Dexpro:
Make i flash u my goro teeth grin grin grin
i get am phò my own gworò! Abi na bcause i don shop my own pinish? U i come dey make mouth...I GO GO PHÒ Ala-ji haus go Kwolet..
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by SHAAWA: 10:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
Thank you very op, this has always been my dream...I live in Abuja...how do i get in touch? shaawanat@yahoo.com
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Dexpro: 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
Daniel058: i get am phò my own gworò! Abi na bcause i don shop my own pinish? U i come dey make mouth...I GO GO PHÒ Ala-ji haus go Kwolet..
Lolzzz.....

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Daniel058(m): 10:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
Dexpro:
Lolzzz.....
Hahahahahaha! Abi i no try?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Dexpro: 11:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
Daniel058: Hahahahahaha! Abi i no try?

As a matter of fact, u try. U made my day! cheesy
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by ngkessy: 11:25pm On Sep 04, 2014
How about planting it in anambra

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by aminu150(m): 12:47am On Sep 05, 2014
judemorfy: ♈̷̴̩ε̲̣̣̣̥α,yu shud. insects already
thank you. Will do that
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by afreekah: 2:27am On Sep 05, 2014
@OP and others, apart from flies, what other enemies does it have ?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Daniel058(m): 6:30am On Sep 05, 2014
Dexpro:

As a matter of fact, u try. U made my day! cheesy
lolz!
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 6:36am On Sep 05, 2014
judemorfy]ℓ̊'ll check the name of the fertiliza 2moro,bt dont knw how often it shud be aplied,ℓ̊'v only aplied once
tnx bro, please inbox me on: agohvincent@yahoo.com let's talke I'm highly interested moreso, am in Edo State too.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by muimui(m): 6:53am On Sep 05, 2014
Pls can I hav ur number.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by lif2uz(m): 7:01am On Sep 05, 2014
Is it adviceable to plant watermelon along with other crops like maiz and cocoyam(mixed croping) on a piece of land?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by jamesbridget13(f): 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
I ll give it a try, lets see how it works
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by prettiest1(f): 3:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
MANGAM: I planted watermelon 2yrs ago on abt 5 hectare somewhere in Nasarawa state and the yield was high and no insecticide or pesticide was applied. Maybe the insects attack in certain region of Nigeria. I will visit an agro shop to find out more and what pesticide to use and possibly share photos with the house
I am interested. Since I am in Akwa Ibom which you said should be done in October, still have some weeks to make the land available and ready. I will like to contact you when I am ready. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.