Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,387 members, 7,954,564 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:24 PM

Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 (18995 Views)

Help With Nollywood Movies Sound Track / The Problem With Nollywood / The Real Problem With Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Superstar007(m): 2:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
OP. This is just 9 out of 1001. Where the rest
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Tayeni(m): 2:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
tonyayo1: 1., we should stop watching any direct to video movies tagged old NW, which is impossible or 2., building upto a thousand cinemas in Nigeria, then you'll see how the crappy movie will die off instead of having 99% crappy movies, it'll be the other way round.
Amen to building a thousand cinemas in Nigeria....but thats will be a tough call for business men who are interested in d cinema business, given the dead nightlife in most cities and d security challenges. take for example Ilorin...d city i stay(ghost town after 9 pm)
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by indoorlove(m): 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
Nollywood movies are just sleeping pills to me, nothing more.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by RayMcBlue(m): 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
redcliff:

When you did not read the post...why wont you drop this kind of comment..

I was pulling his legs. An average John with an healthy sense of humor would have known this. The OP himself knew this. It was a none issue... until you showed up. Were you raised in a barn or what?? undecided
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by redcliff: 2:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
RayMcBlue:

I was pulling his legs. An average John with a healthy sense of humor would have known this. The OP himself knew this. It was a none issue... until you showed up. Were you raised in a barn or what?? undecided

Yes in an expensive barn you can never imagine...which should also not be a problem for you.. is it?
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
I can predict a Nigerian movie just by looking at the poster. The last movie I watched reduced my IQ vastly. There are simple American and even Bollywood movies that would blow your mind. A movie like Bharfi almost made me cry till I had to punch the wall to regain my maniless. Yoruba movies are the worst, they glorify fetishness

1 Like

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
This guy shudnt evn try comparing yoruba films with nollywood, I can't rememba laughing at some scenes in nollywood movies, bt yoruba movies def crack me up. M rooting for sanyeri, babasuwe, babalatin. If u dnt lyk it keep ur thoughts to ursef.
Nigerians are so quick to criticize anything, but give them a platform to create a solution, dey will always fumble.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Orikinla(m): 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
There is the Nollywood of the OP based on the Nollywood movies he has seen so far and there is the new Nollywood that is highly rated. But the OP does not know the difference between the two. And lest we forget, there are similar crappy movies in Hollywood and Bollywood that never make it to the box office and circulated on DVD.

There are new developments in Nollywood as shown in the new movies and documented in many books that would be of immense benefit to the OP and others when you read them. so that you will be updated on the evolution of Nollywood and in October, my "Nollywood Revolution: From Analog To Digital" will be published by a Nigerian magazine so that those who are still ignorant of the facts will become more informed.

There are currently over 50 books on Nollywood, including, "Nollywood: The Video Phenomenon in Nigeria" by Pierre Barrot (2010), "Viewing African Cinema in the Twenty-First Century: Art Films and the Nollywood Video Revolution" by Mahir Saul and Ralph A. Austen (2010), "Moviedomthe Nollywood Narratives: Clips on the Pioneers" by Shaibu Husseini (2010), "Nollywood Video Film: Nigerian Movies as Indigenous Voice" by Uchenna Onuzulike (2010), "Representations of Nigerian Women in Nollywood Films" by Naomi Brock (2012), "Global Nollywood:

The Transnational Dimensions of an African Video" by Matthias Krings (2013), "African Movie Time: Watching Nollywood, Ghallywood and Beyond" by Lipamboli Molongi (2014), "NOLLYWOOD MIRROR® SERIES (Nollywood Reloaded Book 1)" by Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi (2013).

The most expensive book on Nollywood is Nollywood by Pieter Hugo, (2009).

It is sells between US$152 and US$325! It is more than twice the hardcover price of the second edition of the NOLLYWOOD MIRROR® SERIES.

Please, do yourself a favour by being updated on the Nigerian film industry, because it will help you on my making informed commentary and not from hearsay or ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by severee(m): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
@op so any suggestions on how nollywood can resolve the problems you have with them? cos i'm more of a solution oriented guy grin
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by gustav25: 3:57pm On Sep 04, 2014
what's my biz with nollywood when I have Bollywood?

but

main hoon na ,jab tak hai jaan
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by henchamb(m): 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
OP its either you have lost touch with the modern nollywood or you have refused to acknowledge the good works. there are high budget movies nowadays which are screened at the cinemas and not publicly displayed in African magic or by media houses because of copyright issues. most of your points are outdated and does not apply to today's nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by themmydhayhor(m): 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
sholay2011: I agree with most of your points. Your writeup is quite organised. Thumbs up.

We're getting there sha, I believe. But my own problem with our storylines or stories is not just that they are predictable (many hollywood movies are, especially book adaptations and biopics), but the way they are told matters more. You can give the same log lines to two scriptwriters and the scripts they would produce would be VERY different, in many aspects, and one script could be quite good and the other...trash.

That's what I'm still trying to unravel and learn as a scriptwriter. 'Silver Linings Playbook' could have been the usual romcom, but the way it was told made us connect deeply with the characters, laugh and cry with them, and even feel their pain. We need to sharpen how we relate our stories in aspects such as dialogue, symbolism, artistic descriptions, interweaving of characters, arrangement etc.

And please sir, we get genres for nollywood.

Genres lyk SANYeri abi lol
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
Poster is so on point
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by mikron(m): 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Guykhena:

Your head dey dia joor.

And there's always an annoying song in Nollywood movies in which the lyrics narrate the whole storyline ......

And that BLEEDING ANGEL would be the Part 3 and 4 of BLEEDING LOVE ..smh for nollywood

Soundtracks like "Gan Gan Gan Gan"..
You just know what's about to happen... Smh again angry

And how many have u produced? Hate it when people like u try to run down other peoples efforts.

Nollywood works on 'Quantity' instead of 'Quality'......
Too bad...
so hw many movies have u produced?
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yemlizzy: Not enough valid points,it sounds more like gibberish talk.

According to you, he did make some valid points but yet it sounds like gibberish talk. I hope you were not smoking weed when you typed this BS
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by rashygenius: 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
wetin dey annoy me pass 4 Nollywood esp Yoruba films b say...den go wan depict a very poor man life.
Most tyms if den show d man aws..e go get big flat screen TV,beta sofa chair,Nice housing equipment
we wey dey pity am sef no get most of d tin wey d so called poor man get
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by safarigirl(f): 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
Like speedyboi alreasy pointed out, you can't criticise if you haven't seen a Nollywood production in recent times.

Most people don't watch MOVIES, they watch what should be termed HOME VIDEOS.

@ Sanchez01, Instead of going to the cinema to watch Hollywood every weekend, why don't you dedicate a weekend per month to a Nollywood production? Once you've done that, compare about 3-5 of the movies and see if they're all similar.

Jim Iyke isn't monotonous in his acting. I've seen him play a calm, sensible being in Last Flight To Abuja and some other movie he did with Genevieve where she was a twin (I absolutely love that movie)

I dunno if you watched Mirror Boy, but I remember Osita Iheme (Pawpaw) was no mischievous trouble-maker in that movie.

Maybe you haven't seen Figurine and Guilty Pleasure, but their ends were FAR from predictable.

Do you know the following actors?:

Chris Attoh
Christopher Okagbue
OC Ukeje
Blossom Chukwujekwu
Tope Tedola
Ivie Okujaiye
Chelsea Eze
Beverly Nayah
Mbong Amata
Belinda Effah
Linda Ejiofor
Lydia Forson
Peace Hyde

Those are people that make up the new Nollywood and most Nigerians don't know them

3 Likes

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by safarigirl(f): 5:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
gustav25: what's my biz with nollywood when I have Bollywood?

but

main hoon na ,jab tak hai jaan
ha! That one is even worse. I haven't watched an Indian movie in over 8 years, it's just not realistic for someone to be walking down the road in one minute, singing and dancing in the next and before you know it, the entire street is dancing with him.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by fpeter(f): 5:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
mumumugu: stop complaining, be the change

try venturing into movie industry to effect a change.

I feel sorry for people like you that don't understand what constructive criticism is all about.
I am sure some Directors and Producers will come across this piece and use it as a guideline
To improve on their movies...

1 Like

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by mikron(m): 5:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
@OP though u made some valid points, but a lot of credence shld also be given to the people that run nollywood. Do u ask urself hw long it took this same Hollywood u so worship today to be where they are today? They must have started poor too, dont forget america is about 245 yrs or thereabout old and we re barely 54 yrs, how u wan take compare an old man of more than 200 yrs wit a healthy strong man of 54? Experience wise are they the same? Contrary to what u said in ur post, i make bold to say that nollywood churns out good quality movies these days, movies like Ije, 2 bride and a baby, figurine, last flight to abuja, the mirror boy(genevieve), half of a yellow sun(gene and chinwetel), not forgetting classics like igodo, izaga, blood money(zack orji), nneka the pretty serpent, sakobi(susan patrick), died wretched, haunted (RMD), oracle(pete edochie), isakkaba(sam dede), last burial(clem ohameze) comedies like ukwa, osuofia, kiss me quick, pam pam (nkem owoh) and the list goes on. Do u even ask urself why nollywood is gaining more ground in africa and the world at large? What is so special about this industry that whites and other writers now write about? Oga nollywood is growing by the day and in no distant future nollywood will be a force to reckon with and Nigeria will be a one stop shop for home grown quality movies that only ll be rivalled by the great Hollywood and by extension Bollywood. I rest my case.
LAST BULLET: Lets learn to promote and appreciate our own. Nobody will do it for u. Monkey no fine but him mama like am. I be naija pikin to the core. The earth is green. Green is the colour.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
So true
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by fpeter(f): 6:19pm On Sep 04, 2014
nickz: sometimes i watch some hollywood movies that i do not even known the real names of the actor[unpopular],and they still are interesting

sorry,same can't be said about nollywood

i'd rather count all my sisters underwears than watch a nollywood movie angry angry

Incestuous Freak shocked undecided
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by oweniwe(m): 6:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
i gave up on Nollywood after watching "Enthiran". . .

I love Chitti . . . !!. . .

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by nickz(m): 6:22pm On Sep 04, 2014
fpeter:

Incestuous Freak shocked undecided
grin grin grin grin grin grin you don't get the message do you??
beside,what has counting got to do with incest
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Tayeni: Amen to building a thousand cinemas in Nigeria....but thats will be a tough call for business men who are interested in d cinema business, given the dead nightlife in most cities and d security challenges. take for example Ilorin...d city i stay(ghost town after 9 pm)
There won't be any night shows in such cities then
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by spotlessderby(m): 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Good write up. Kunle Afolayan and Rita Dominic have proved that we have the talents to churn out good movies. The Meeting amazes me till date, beautiful write up, perfect script interpretation and minimum (A list veterans on set.
I am embarassed at the kind of movies churned out these days, all you see is the same story repeated in 1OO movies. And Tope Alabi's tracks are the national anthem in Yoruba movies.
Old school movies are even better than what we have now. Case Study: Ti oluwa nile, Saworo ide, Executive Crime, State of emergency and Fatal Desire.

I am patriotic, so don't bring sentiments here, Let's appreciate the good and criticise the bad so they can become better. Shallom.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Deapexboy(m): 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2014
@ op some of your facts are real.
But at then u guys should stop comparing nollywood to hollywood nd bollywood,How old is nollywood to compare with hollywood...am pretty sure when hollywood was at d age of nollywood they weren't doing much better.

All they need is adaquate funding, afterall amarican government are funding hollywood cause is a source of revenue to there govt. But here we are in nigeria the govt is doing nothing to help the movie industry

talking abt graphic nd all d rest...if those guys are provided with the right aparatus they will do better so they make use of what they have

u guys should not expect nollywood to turn to hollywood in all aspect...india way of acting is totally different 4rm the americans(there soundeffect re much difer) which movie industry sing pass india? So nollywood should av there own way of acting

when acting,u act with wat is happening around u nd not what is happening in anothers man country(bollywood act abt there culture nd wat is happening around them. same to hollywood)

#pround of nija# afterall sum countries don't allow other movie to enter in there domain bt here we are buying nd watching hollywood any time and any moment....#peace# WOOD NA WOOD
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by oluwato69sin(m): 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Sanchez01:
I'd gladly become a fan for doing something different from what we have. And about genres, we have:

Action

Comedy

Adventure

Biography

Animation

Family

Fantasy

Crime

Mystery

Sport

Horror

Romance

Drama

Mystery

Documentary

Film-Noir

Musical

War

Thriller

History

Sci-Fi
[b](Western)

Of all the genres I mentioned above, excluding Western, which I consider irrelevant in Nigeria, which of those genres do we have?
. Na only Bollywood get action,thrilling captivating romance suspense filled each of dem na1 scene ,the rest na advert or mey dem show Ikeja road wey moto dey pass
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by oluwato69sin(m): 11:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
mikron: @OP though u made some valid points, but a lot of credence shld also be given to the people that run nollywood. Do u ask urself hw long it took this same Hollywood u so worship today to be where they are today? They must have started poor too, dont forget america is about 245 yrs or thereabout old and we re barely 54 yrs, how u wan take compare an old man of more than 200 yrs wit a healthy strong man of 54? Experience wise are they the same? Contrary to what u said in ur post, i make bold to say that nollywood churns out good quality movies these days, movies like Ije, 2 bride and a baby, figurine, last flight to abuja, the mirror boy(genevieve), half of a yellow sun(gene and chinwetel), not forgetting classics like igodo, izaga, blood money(zack orji), nneka the pretty serpent, sakobi(susan patrick), died wretched, haunted (RMD), oracle(pete edochie), isakkaba(sam dede), last burial(clem ohameze) comedies like ukwa, osuofia, kiss me quick, pam pam (nkem owoh) and the list goes on. Do u even ask urself why nollywood is gaining more ground in africa and the world at large? What is so special about this industry that whites and other writers now write about? Oga nollywood is growing by the day and in no distant future nollywood will be a force to reckon with and Nigeria will be a one stop shop for home grown quality movies that only ll be rivalled by the great Hollywood and by extension Bollywood. I rest my case.
LAST BULLET: Lets learn to promote and appreciate our own. Nobody will do it for u. Monkey no fine but him mama like am. I be naija pikin to the core. The earth is green. Green is the colour.
I saw when the plane crashed in that last flight to abj ,,she na movie be that,,with all the awards ,,yoga watch non stop ,, you go feel say you dey inside plane wet dey crash a beg a beg a beg
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Nobody: 1:10am On Sep 05, 2014
Hope the industry change for better anyway.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by Richy4(m): 2:08am On Sep 05, 2014
I understand what you mean but all those foreign movies you mentioned, that is their ways of life.

I guess Nigerian movies are interpreted based on our way of live and culture.eg Africans believe they see ghost etc. the Americans don't.

so they cannot basically copy every thing from the foreign land. doing that will be fake, the original settings will be gone. and you will open another thread again for actors copying the white. just saying because I have seen a thread where someone said Nollywood actors were faking British accent.
Re: Opinion: My 1001 Problems With Nollywood By Sanchez01 by RedArmies12: 8:23am On Sep 05, 2014
malikmoreni: [size=28pt]Too predictable...Yes, I can predict a whole film by just watching 30mins out of it[/size]

angry
30 minutes? shocked shocked shocked
U don watch the whole movie be dat nw!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fans Of “the Big Bang Theory” / BBNaija S7: Fake Housemate Modella Given a Secret Task by Big Brother / Please Help! What Websites Can I Download Movies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.