Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,840 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - (4353 Views)

My Boko Haram Saga, By Negotiator Stephen Davis / Boko Haram: 50 Lawyers To Storm The Hague For Prosecution Of Sheriff, Ihejirika / Revealed: How Ibb, Buhari, Atikuothers Sponsor Boko Haram! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 5:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
In SaharaReporters Interview, Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sherriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram, Exonerates Buhari, El-Rufai.

Stephen Davis, an Australian hostage negotiator who spent some time in Nigeria trying to secure the release of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram militants in Chibok, Borno State, told SaharaReporters that he stands by his widely reported allegations that former Governor Modu Sherriff of Borno State and a former Chief of Army staff, General Azubuike Ihejirika (ret.), were among the top sponsors of the Islamist insurgents who have massacred thousands of Nigerians and foreigners and made the northeast part of Nigeria a highly militarized zone. 

In an extensive telephone interview with SaharaReporters yesterday, Dr. Davis also accused an unnamed senior official of the Central Bank of Nigeria as well as a man based in Cairo, Egypt whom he claimed operates as Boko Haram’s bagman. He said both men, in addition to Mr. Sheriff and former General Ihejirika, were major players in the funding and continued existence of the deadly Islamist sect.

Dr. Davis told SaharaReporters that he did not want to name the CBN official as this may prejudice investigation by Nigeria’s security services. Both accused men have reacted furiously to Mr. Davis’ allegation, with the former Borno governor threatening to travel to Australia to sue his accuser while Mr. Ihejirika accused former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El Rufai, of being a “commander” of Boko Haram. Three days ago, Mr. El Rufai had posted transcripts and video of Mr. Davis’ accusations of the former governor and ex-Army chief on social media. 

Asked whether Mr. El Rufai and former military ruler, Muhammadu Buhari, had a hand in funding or sponsoring Boko Haram, Dr. Davis said their names have not been mentioned to him by any Boko Haram connections.

Also, asked to explain why Mr. Ihejirika, a non-Muslim who hails from the predominantly Christian southeastern part of Nigeria, became a Boko Haram “sponsor,” Mr. Davis said, “Boko Haram commanders and some connected with them told me on several occasions Ihejirika was one of their sponsors.”

He also disclosed that Mr. Sheriff always had the best military protection in Nigeria’s violence-plagued northeast, a protection he claimed the ex-governor enjoyed after he left office.

Dr. Davis reiterated that his allegations were informed by discussions he had with several Boko Haram field commanders over a long period of time. Asked if President Goodluck Jonathan was aware of the insurgents’ sponsors and their specific roles, Dr. Davis said he was unsure of the extent of information currently before President Jonathan. He added that Mr. Jonathan had been weakened by lack of military loyalty and a history of security negligence. He gave the example of repeated attempts to bring the growth of Al Qa’eda associated cells to the attention of NSA’s since 2006 only to have them dismiss such reports as baseless. “By the time Goodluck Jonathan became president Boko Haram had become a potent weapon with a command structure embedded in 16 northern states fanned by support from corrupt politicians.”

He further gave the example of Nigeria’s Minister of Defense, Aliyu Gusau, whom he accused of basically leaving Mr. Jonathan to carry his can without taking any responsibility for his work.

The Australian negotiator also revealed that his years working with Nigerian presidents on matters of terrorism had shown that, even when some prominent individuals are known to be involved in criminality, the presidents are simply too afraid to take them on. He cited the example of the Niger Delta region. He told SaharaReporters that he and former President Olusegun Obasanjo found out that Abiye Sekibo, who was then Mr. Obasanjo’s Transport Minister, had contracted the assassins who killed a prominent politician, Harry Marshall. He said he tried to persuade Mr. Obasanjo to prosecute Mr. Sekibo, but the then president declined, stating that such a trial could bring down his government. 

Dr. Davis touched on several aspects of Boko Haram activities, showing that he was quite knowledgeable about the sect’s actions. He told SaharaReporters that Boko Haram runs about six major camps in the northeast and neighboring countries, adding that 700 fighters inhabited each camp. In addition there are a range of smaller camps within Borno State, which are often temporary and to which kidnapped girls are taken to be used by the insurgents.

The Australian revealed that earlier this year Boko Haram was a loose coalition of three Islamist militant groups that worked with one another, claiming that, since four months ago, the sects had merged into one single entity, become more cohesive, strategically effective and powerful. “They are now linking with other terrorist group in the region and will soon be very difficult to dismantle. If these political sponsors think they can turn these groups off after the 2015 elections they are going to be surprised to find it is out of their control.”

On why he had chosen to speak out publicly at this time, Dr. Davis stated that, from experience, any terrorist group that has lasted more than eight years after its formation would likely exist for another 20 or more years before it can be dismantled. It thus becomes embedded for a generation and the likelihood of dismantling it was very low. “If we don’t do our utmost now to dismantle Boko Haram then we may not be able to do so for another generation. That is a very gloomy scenario for Nigeria.”

He touched on former National Security Adviser, Owoye Andrew Azazi, whom he described as utterly corrupt. He said Mr. Azazi, who was a retired Army general, was planning to buy into the Hilton hotel chain in London to the tune of $100 million before he died in a helicopter crash on December 15, 2012.

Dr. Davis painted a portrait of Nigeria’s various intelligence units as operating in silos that refuse to share information that could tame terrorist groups. To illustrate his point, the Australian cited the example of the State Security Services. According to him, months after the SSS won the extradition from the Sudan of Aminu Ogwuche, a suspected terror mastermind who reportedly planned the deadly bombing of an Abuja bus station, the intelligence agency had yet to interrogate Mr. Ogwuche about his links with the three young men he reportedly contracted to carry out the bombing. 

Dr. Davis said the young men were three in number and that they lived in the home of a CBN official who also carried out banking transactions for Boko Haram through the CBN. He said two other young collaborators in the Nyanya Motor Park bombing remain on the run. 

The Australian hostage negotiator vowed to make more revelations about Boko Haram’s sponsors, adding that he believed the sect could only be dismantled if their sponsors were exposed and prosecuted. In particular, he said he could not see why the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had not already moved on Sheriff for his extensive looting of public funds when he was the Borno State governor, and for leaving the roads in Borno State in a terrible shape that has enabled Boko Haram to ambush Nigeria troops and massacre them mercilessly. He also added that the former governor should face the ultimate trial for financing the recruitment of young men to the Islamist sect.

Dr. Davis dismissed Mr. Sheriff’s threat to travel to Australia to sue him for his statements as grandstanding and seeking to divert attention from the real issue of Mr. Sheriff’s involvement with Boko Haram. He added that he would be pleased to meet the former governor at the airport whenever he developed the courage to come to Australia.

http://saharareporters.com/2014/08/31/australian-negotiator-insists-modu-sheriff-ihejirika-sponsor-boko-haram-exonerates-buhari

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by anag0900: 5:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
ihejirika fans nairaland branch how market!!!!...

15 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Bryan12(m): 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
Its possible since ihejirika's from southeast. Nevertheless I don't believe this.

1 Like

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
For this excerpts, its tinme to take this guy serious...

He told SaharaReporters that he and former President Olusegun Obasanjo found out that Abiye Sekibo, who was then Mr. Obasanjo’s Transport Minister, had contracted the assassins who killed a prominent politician, Harry Marshall. He said he tried to persuade Mr. Obasanjo to prosecute Mr. Sekibo, but the then president declined, stating that such a trial could bring down his government. 

We all know that Abiye Sekibo, an Okrikan serving Obj and Odili has hands in the murder of Marshall Harry. This man knows what he's talking. I call on the Americans to investigate this claim and I dare ihejirika to sue him if he's innocent

20 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lakpalakpa: 5:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
Invariably, President Jonathan/PDP is behind Boko Haram!!!

angry angry angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by anag0900: 5:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
breeze don blow chicken yansh don open.... PDP nairaland branch how market...

9 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2014
lakpalakpa: Invariably, President Jonathan/PDP are behind Boko Haram!!!

angry angry angry

Welcome to the light wink

11 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2014
I need this on the frontpage nairaland mods.
cool

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Idrismusty97(m): 5:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
Why the Australia Negotiator Insists Ihejirika is a sponsor
"Boko Haram commanders and some connected with them told me on several occasions Ihejirika was one of their sponsors.”

Why he insists Mr.Sheriff is also a sponsor
....He also disclosed that Mr. Sheriff always had the best military protection in Nigeria’s violence plagued northeast, a protection he claimed the ex-governor enjoyed after he left office.
He may be right after all but these evidences isn't good enough! Are we going to take him serious?

2 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 5:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
barcanista: For this excerpts, its tinme to take this guy serious...

He told SaharaReporters that he and former President Olusegun Obasanjo found out that Abiye Sekibo, who was then Mr. Obasanjo’s Transport Minister, had contracted the assassins who killed a prominent politician, Harry Marshall. He said he tried to persuade Mr. Obasanjo to prosecute Mr. Sekibo, but the then president declined, stating that such a trial could bring down his government. 

We all know that Abiye Sekibo, an Okrikan serving Obj and Odili has hands in the murder of Marshall Harry. This man knows what he's talking. I call on the Americans to investigate this claim and I dare ihejirika to sue him if he's innocent

The man is too detailed to overlook.

Credible, let see wat the GEJ govt will do n how it reacts if surely PDP is not a blood sucking cult

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Daguccizgreat(m): 5:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
The question remains,what is the connection bw ihejirika and sherrif in sponsoring boko haram ?And also why did he refuse to mention the name of the cbn officer involved since he felt it's time to reveal those behind boko haram. There may be truth in some tins he has said bt I don't think ihejirika is involved in it as he claimed

2 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
Gen Ihejirika well done for using the north to destroy the north, you are a genius. That's all I can tell Davis and those who believe this shit.

8 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by gede7744(f): 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
d man spoke as someone who is sure of his facts. anyway we shall overcome
Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by mike404(m): 5:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
TAKE THIS GUY SERIOUS @ YOUR OWN PERIL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by merieam16(f): 5:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
Av neva 4 once understood dis country undecided such a confused nd greedy leaders
Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
lacasa:

Credible, let see wat the GEJ govt will do n how it reacts if surely PDP is not a blood sucking cult
GEJ is scared. That's the fact!! He knows them I am beginning to feel. The Americans or the Hague should step in. Beside, let's kick them out 1st and buhari will cut them 2 size...

6 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Idrismusty97(m): 5:59pm On Aug 31, 2014
On why he had chosen to speak out publicly at this time, Dr. Davis stated that, from experience, any terrorist group that has lasted more than eight years after its formation would likely exist for another 20 or more years before it can be dismantled. It thus becomes embedded for a generation and the likelihood of dismantling it was very low. “If we don’t do our utmost now to dismantle Boko Haram then we may not be able to do so for another generation. That is a very gloomy scenario for Nigeria.”
Very true indeed!
Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 6:01pm On Aug 31, 2014
barcanista: GEJ is scared. That's the fact!! He knows them I am beginning to feel. The Americans or the Hague should step in. Beside, let's kick them out 1st and buhari will cut them 2 size...

GEJ till 2015!

We are saying No to Stealing and BokoHaram led govt.

8 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Nonsense, only Sahara reporters talk to him shey? They should release audio tape recording of the conversation...

1 Like

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by nuclearboy(m): 6:05pm On Aug 31, 2014
We will keep playing politics with this! Yet the enemy is planning and arming and training and indoctrinating more fighters!

I hope we know they read and are getting more angry - when they move into your land and you finally realise that screaming "gej till 3042" won't save your lives, people will wake up and demand the man paid to secure us all does his job!

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by lacasa: 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
liberty300: Nonsense, only Sahara reporters talk to him shey? They should release audio tape recording of the conversation...

Your type never fail to amaze me. grin

: http://www.arise.tv/headline/arise-news-now-uk-28-08-8043

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/australian-negotiator-names-ihejirika-sheriff-as-sponsors-of-boko-haram/187635/

Oya, what else? cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by tawa89(f): 6:21pm On Aug 31, 2014
Don’t forget that the CBN official who handles the transactions also used to report to his superior, the official who recently left the bank.....Mr Davis.

By the way who is this superior CBN official who just left office that used our money to finance Boko haram ?

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by vedaxcool(m): 6:24pm On Aug 31, 2014
Shocking indeed, in saner countries the govt. Would have arrested the accused and commenced intensive investigation, but unfortunately the feds is led by an incompetent ex patron of militants. The fed govt in any country does fear nor retreat from its obligations of protecting its citizens and investigation criminals actions, but in Nigeria the reverse is the case. NA is probably playing porsum hoping all this will go away!

4 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
we have heard it all. takpame....
Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
Terrorist told me Ihejirika is their sponsor is the only evidence Dr Davies has against Ihejirika. He claims to know the mode of operation of Boko Haram but has no other facts on what he means by Ihejirika being a sponsor other than "Boko Haram field commanders told me so"

I find it curious also that DR Davies keeps going on about EFCC investigating sheriff. Now being a Boko haram sponsor is far worse than looting state money. If dr Davies is confident in his evidence about sheriff involvement with Boko haram why is he more worried about trying sheriff for corruption instead of treason and involvement in terrorism?

I think the correct thing to do is to debrief this dr Davies and cherry pick what is useful information.

I simply can not believe dr Davies has been told who the correct Boko haram sponsors are.

It is possible the field commanders of boko haram who know who the true sponsors of Boko haram are simply not saying much at this minute!

11 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
By the way I too can take a picture with people who mask their face

2 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
nuclearboy: We will keep playing politics with this! Yet the enemy is planning and arming and training and indoctrinating more fighters!

I hope we know they read and are getting more angry - when they move into your land and you finally realise that screaming "gej till 3042" won't save your lives, people will wake up and demand the man paid to secure us all does his job!

GEJ till 2019

The idea that the only solution to the problem is changing the existing President is part of the problem.

Some people promised to make the country ungovernable if GEJ remains President!

Well I refuse to play into their hands and endorse terrorism as an election weapon.

I will vote GEJ. Let him continue till 2019.

6 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by jmaine: 6:33pm On Aug 31, 2014
mikeansy: Terrorist told me Ihejirika is their sponsor is the only evidence Dr Davies has against Ihejirika. He claims to know the mode of operation of Boko Haram but has no other facts on what he means by Ihejirika being a sponsor other than "Boko Haram field commanders told me so"

I find it curious also that DR Davies keeps going on about EFCC investigating sheriff. Now being a Boko haram sponsor is far worse than looting state money. If dr Davies is confident in his evidence about sheriff involvement with Boko haram why is he more worried about trying sheriff for corruption instead of treason and involvement in terrorism?

I think the correct thing to do is to debrief this dr Davies and cherry pick what is useful information.

I simply can not believe dr Davies has been told who the correct Boko haram sponsors are.

It is possible the field commanders of boko haram who know who the true sponsors of Boko haram are simply not saying much at this minute!

You spoke well . . . . Imagine how naive for him to insist on a dummy sold to him by BH . . . . .

6 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 31, 2014
Since the Australian negotiator claimed he got the names of the two sponsors from Boko Haram commanders, it would appear those Boko Haram commanders gave him the names of Boko Haram hardcore enemies.

For instance, Boko Haram has consistently made the ARREST AND PROSECUTION of Modu Sheriff one of its demands for peace talks
Boko Haram wants talks …picks Buhari as mediator, Saudi Arabia venue …demands ex-gov’s arrest, compensation

November 2, 2012 by Agency Reporter

THE violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, on Thursday indicated its readiness to end its campaign of violence but on the conditions that ex-Borno State Governor Modu Sheriff was arrested and peace talks held in Saudi Arabia.

Also, the sect is asking for compensation for families of its members killed in the course of its terrorist acts and the rebuilding of its mosques by the Federal Government.

It also demanded the release of all its members in the custody of security agencies.

Abu Mohammed Ibn Abdulaziz, the second-in-command to the sect’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, gave the conditions on Thursday during a radio conference with journalists in Maiduguri, Borno State.

Abdulaziz did not explain why the group wanted Sheriff arrested.

Just on Wednesday, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, said Sheriff and Senators Ali Ndume and Ahmed Zanna had been put under surveillance to determine their alleged links with the sect.

The three have been variously fingered as financiers of the group
Abdulaziz named a former Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari; Dr. Shettima Monguno; a former Yobe State Governor, Bukar Ibrahim; Ambassador Gaji Galtimari; and Aisha Alkali Wakil, and her husband, Alkali as “trusted” Nigerians it would be ready to negotiate with in Saudi Arabia.

On the sect’s team would be Abdulaziz, Abu Abbas, Sheikh Ibrahim Yusuf, Sheikh Sani Kontogora and Mamman Nur.
Abdulaziz said, “We are not actually challenging the state, as people are saying, but the security (forces) that are killing our members, children and wives.

“We are highly offended but if this government is sincere, everything (the attacks) will come to an end. We want to dialogue but government must show sincerity in its handling of the situation.”

More than 1,000 persons have been killed in attacks on places of worship, military and police facilities as well as drinking joints since the sect launched its war against the government in 2009

http://www.punchng.com/news/boko-haram-wants-talks/
Here is another instance where Boko Haram asked for removal of Modu Sheriff as governor of Borno as condition for peace to reign
Boko Haram gives condition for peace in Borno
‏8 فبراير، 2011‏، الساعة
‏ ‏12:29 مساءً‏

REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde

Members of the Boko Haram islamic group currently unleashing terror on residents of Borno state and its environs have said withdrawal of soldiers from the streets, return of their mosque and the removal Governor Ali Modu Sherrif are the conditions for them to cease fire.

Speaking on the Hausa Service of the BBC monitored in Kaduna yesterday, leader of the sect, Abu Suleiman, insisted that the withdrawal of the soldiers is the major condition for the spate of killings in the state to stop.

Suleiman said their original Mosque must be returned to them, just another member of the sect said that if the state governor was removed, nobody will be unjustly killed in the state

https://ar-ar.facebook.com/notes/borno/-news-boko-haram-gives-condition-for-peace-in-borno/195088667184297?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C6436889833

In addition, basically all accounts on how Boko Haram originated points to fall out between Sheriff and Boko Haram in 2008/2009 which led to vicious cycle of violet clashes.

8 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
lacasa:

2 Likes

Re: Australian Negotiator Insists Modu Sheriff, Ihejirika Sponsor Boko Haram - by Rawani: 6:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
Typically, we will ignore reason and allow our inferences to be clouded by ethno-religous bias.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bad Blood Spills As APC Presidential Race Turns Into Two-horse Race / Rivers State Governor-elect Celebrates Victory With Unclad Party / Five (5) Main Dresses A Woman Should Wear In Her Lifetime.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.