Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,250 members, 7,818,866 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa (37658 Views)

Naira Exchange Rates Today / The 10 Most Expensive Alcoholic Drinks On Earth / Why Are Imported Goods Excessively Expensive In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by abartworld: 10:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
UchihaMadara:

Exactly, check out a typical Holiday Inn interior:

This room usually goes for around $70 and you get fresh towels, fresh sheets, high water pressure in shower, clean water....

Though there are some hotels on the island that go for around 15K but truth be told, they are more the equivalent of Motels (Motel 6 comes to mind).

I remember walking into Radisson Blue and asking for the cost per night, and the guy just looked at me with one kind eye like this then said, "NGN65,000", omo I busted a u-ey ASAP! I haven't reached that level yet, maybe one day, but still it would be nice to find quality hotels fitting different socioeconomic classes, with great services.

On a side note: Has anyone noticed that chinese food is very expensive in Nigeria? Chinese food is suppose to be on the cheap side na!

Nice big room
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Onegai(f): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Four Points by Sheraton and Eko Hotel's rooms are not as nice or even as big as this. It's ridiculous. And the cost of the food will make you wonder if you're eating sushi made from the nectar and ambrosia of some Greek gods, mixed with juice made from the fountain of youth. At least Protea Hotel in Ikeja has nicer rooms.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Eddy2cute(m): 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yungwizzzy: shey The sleep for these expensive hotels dey different??
abi ooo my broda
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Eddy2cute(m): 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
Onegai:
Four Points by Sheraton and Eko Hotel's rooms are not as nice or even as big as this. It's ridiculous. And the cost of the food will make you wonder if you're eating sushi made from the nectar and ambrosia of some Greek gods, mixed with juice made from the fountain of youth. At least Protea Hotel in Ikeja has nicer rooms.
so dem don carry u go all these hotels wella?

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by hansad: 10:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
In terms of hotel service quality and infrastructures, it costs many times more to lodge in hotels in Nigeria than in Europe and America.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Mattex001(m): 10:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
I hope someone occupying a reputable seat in government sees this, industrialization cannot be fully achieved if the government does nt subsidize the cost of electricity dat alone cant result to increasing cost of maintenance of an hotel(manufacturing) or an (industry).. this serve as a necessity for efficient actualization of economic goals.
but wait oooo
how can I spend 250k for one night.....
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Eyop: 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
Mattex001: I hope someone occupying a reputable seat in government sees this, industrialization cannot be fully achieved if the government does nt subsidize the cost of electricity dat alone cant result to increasing cost of maintenance of an hotel(manufacturing) or an (industry).. this serve as a necessity for efficient actualization of economic goals.
but wait oooo
how can I spend 250k for one night.....

cheesy grin grin by 12 noon,your 250k don expire and you should be expecting a knock on your door to vacate for another to enter
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ihesiuloa(m): 10:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Let's leave infrastructure out of this! Basically Nigeria lack a good tourist developmental activities, if only Nigeria does have a good tourist developments, hotels here would leave up to the standards of what is experienced in other parts of the world! You need to visit Tanzania,Kenya etc and see how hotels are ran!! They even give you free WiFi service for a considerate fee, a hotel with all amenities for less than 5k/night with clean rooms not what we find here when rats jump about in your room, where bed sheets are not clean or regularly changed.. Mhen! I just can't understand why things are always the opposite here in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 10:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
clog: Whoever pays N200k to sleep for just a night is nt wise at all.

Hehehe, Oga this money you see, some people earn above N1m daily. And they don't care how they spend it..

Nah so the world be..
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Akinsnaira: 10:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
t2luv1:

And those houses goes for 1/4th of the cost it takes just to buy a plot of (120X60) in Lekki. Only in Nigeria !!!!. I always wonder how people are able to justify spending such a huge amount just to buy a land with no amenities.

Very simple answer, those are the people with easy access to ill-gotten wealth in this country. There are many sharing formulae of the common wealth among the so called 'connected' people in nigeria, whether through the jumbo pay job in govt, oil company etc or unfair environment for the businessmen to exploit the masses. These people don't have value for money coz they never earned even 1/4th of their wealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 10:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
Okijajuju1:

No jokes, e different. grin

When you sef wake up, your body go tell you. grin

True talk bro..
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by raphy(m): 10:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
all the big hotels wth big price are for the wealthy.all d ones that are too cheap are for d poor.so different size for different .
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by daillest: 10:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
q
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Jaygrl(f): 10:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
stagger: Ha ha ha. You think Lag is expensive? Try Abuja especially now that national conventions will soon start coming up. Yet the hotel people can't even spray insecticides in the damn rooms. You go wan craze! angry angry
Staying in one right now...though not very expensive,the fan and AC is on yet mosquitoes in the room won't just be loyal.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 10:54pm On Sep 04, 2014
wills: lagos-hotels-2nd-most-expensive in the world

https://www.nairaland.com/1022934/lagos-hotels-2nd-most-expensive

One word, profiteering

That is just the word.

The telecoms sector, the cement sector, the hospitality sector are all profiteering on the masses in Nigeria.

I was complaining to my sales rep that the company product of which I am a distributor is just availing me N20 profit per bag on an investment of N1,630.

Imagine profit = 20/1,630 = 0. 01227

In percentage terms 1.227 %.

What kind of business is that ? A product that was selling by this time last year for N1,450. What has really changed in the production process ? Nothing !

He told me, that the company is not ready to bring down the price or start a price war.

I smiled, i diverted my money to something else more profitable..

Consumer protection is not efficient in this country...

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by adconline(m): 11:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
I have always held this view. Southern Sun Ikoyi is outrageous. I was there a couple years back for a nightly business meeting and wanted to check in and was told the cheapest room would cost over $400 or N64k. This is a 2-3star hotel by intl standard. Over $ 400/night gets u a room in most 5-star hotels in Chicago, NYC,ATL. The rich really suffer in Naija!
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 11:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
Pay according to your pocket. There are also affordable hotels in Lagos.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by adconline(m): 1:21am On Sep 05, 2014
krisbill: Pay according to your pocket. There are also affordable hotels in Lagos.
Rats and Roaches convention houses in the name of hotel
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by abatically(m): 4:26am On Sep 05, 2014
sanandreas: the same Lagos u would also see a good hotel of 3000. it all boils down to taste

U sir probably do not know the meaning of GOOD HOTEL.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Tibins(m): 4:53am On Sep 05, 2014
Thank God this coming up now. Na all of us dey naija. God will help us. One day power will improve & there will be constant light. Let's see if this prices will ever come down. It's in our attitude... If something is not expensive, we don't always see it as good or original or standard. To add to the is the sales or hotel staff that earn peanut, the security that beg for m***.
How many hotels/companied pay their worker well, or have good reward system in naija? Even though their annual returns are in billions / hundreds of millions. Na God go help us jor. God bless naija people.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by kalamayat: 5:07am On Sep 05, 2014
They are complaining of paying too much taxes in lagos.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Onegai(f): 5:23am On Sep 05, 2014
Eddy2cute: so dem don carry u go all these hotels wella?

Because you date "gehs" who cannot afford to pay for their own soap, cream and weave-on doesn't mean all woman are that poor or financially dependent on men. Abeg try hang out with women who started life well and are willing to work extremely hard to maintain and improve their lifestyle. I don't work on my back grin

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by InvertedHammer: 6:07am On Sep 05, 2014
/
I have stayed in a lot of hotels in FCT, Lagos, Enugu, Owerri and PH.

By far, the one I enjoyed most is called D'Martel (or something like that around Govt.House) at Enugu for around N10k.

The room was very neat. Everything was very standard. And this was November last year.

But all those N15k-N30K per night rooms in Lagos and FCT are not worth crap especially considering that sometimes I pay for a week or more.

Absofucking_lutely a rip off

Plan is henceforth get into Lagos and get the hell out as soon as possible (if possible by the next day)

\
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Eddy2cute(m): 7:01am On Sep 05, 2014
Onegai:

Because you date "gehs" who cannot afford to pay for their own soap, cream and weave-on doesn't mean all woman are that poor or financially dependent on men. Abeg try hang out with women who started life well and are willing to work extremely hard to maintain and improve their lifestyle. I don't work on my back grin
lol work on your back? U should have just called it u don't do money 4 hand, back 4 ground grin
Onegai:

lol work on your back? U should have just called it u don't do money 4 hand, back 4 ground
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by pedro08: 7:18am On Sep 05, 2014
Shey if I sleep in d king size bed I go see God.RUBBISH
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ducii: 8:35am On Sep 05, 2014
poor people complaining of the cost of hotel in Lagos, when you no get money drink beer u go say beer bitter. A beg leave am. people that have money are paying for it and Hotels are flocking into the country on a daily basis.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ducii: 8:38am On Sep 05, 2014
manny4life:

How dare you compare Four Seansons to what they have in Nigeria? grin grin A hotel that has clients like the U.S. President, not to alk of the high end clientele... Biko, please don't make that mistake again smiley

so you are saying when the president of America comes to Africa he brings his Hotel along. He doesn't stay in a hotel here in Africa. MUMU
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by phemmie06(m): 8:38am On Sep 05, 2014
no wonder uncle Tony Elumelu and transcorps de eye Lagos
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by mapet: 8:47am On Sep 05, 2014
I'm just wondering why you will spend 10nights at Four Points, when you were not there on Business. Well may be for the other NLers you fool with this your badly scripted Nollywood piece, but peradventure if this case is true or you are imagining it, cut your coat according to your size
Okijajuju1: I agree..

Spent 10 nights in Four Points by Sheraton last Christmas... Nna MEN!!!! angry I nearly break-up with my wife that Christmas when I see the debit alert. angry

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by mapet: 8:51am On Sep 05, 2014
1. Why does it sound to me that you're either stating what is not or trying to sound like who you're not.
2. Except you're patronizing or confusing Brothels with Hotels, your analysis is simply hogwash
3. Better still tell us the hotels you've been to that are "Yet in Nigeria where the hotels are dirty, NEPA taking light anyhow, tiny food portions which are sometimes tasteless, and hotel staff who steal your things; things are so fvcking expensive.
"

pDude: cry

Nigeria's economy and services baffles the hell out of me. undecided

The services suck, the economy is comatose, everything is jaga jaga and most products are substandard. [b] Yet everything is so damn expensive. WHY?

A normal hotel in California with all the normal services is so cheap that ordinary people can afford to spend a night or two in them.

Yet in Nigeria where the hotels are dirty, NEPA taking light anyhow, tiny food portions which are sometimes tasteless, and hotel staff who steal your things; things are so fvcking expensive.

Biko, what type of economy is Nigeria operating in? That is the kind of economy that will sooner crumble upon itself.

The people are so poor, yet the services are so expensive. It baffles me cry

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Okijajuju1(m): 8:58am On Sep 05, 2014
mapet: I'm just wondering why you will spend 10nights at Four Points, when you were not there on Business. Well may be for the other NLers you fool with this your badly scripted Nollywood piece, but peradventure if this case is true or you are imagining it, cut your coat according to your size

[b]reason I spent another 10 days at the Intercontenental Hotel in Lagos in February of the following year..

I did it cos I could. grin

I did it cos I was Bored..

I did it because it was Christmas..

I did it because I have that kind of spare change in my account to spend.

I did it because it was the end of the year and after all that hussle, I decided to close the year in style..

Hells, I did it because I have not just physical cash, but a healthy cashflow. grin

So.. Please if my lounging makes you feel like a fool, then your conscience is who you should be after for making you feel like a fool, not me. grin

My 'Coats' are all my size.. But I didnt expect to recieve a bill of over 400'k. grin

Hommie.. People dont only stay in such hotels when they are on business or if they are politicians. Some do it just to pamper themselves abit. Life is hard, the hussle is exhausting so from time to time, take out some of that money and go do something that does not involve business.. And when you have stayed in these types of hotels long and often enough, you join their clubs which gives you great discounts to super hotels around the world. [/b]

4 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by mapet: 9:03am On Sep 05, 2014
Bros, you have just spoilt the fun. The trend of arguments here was not going the way of logical thinking until you brought it in......

julibos: Hmm, am an hotelier ,I believe I can identify a little with the high room rate .in as much as I’m in the business ,I’m not trying to totally justify the high rate, it could be a little lower but then check this analysis: I’m using a case study of an international brand of 220 bedded rooms
You have a 220 room facilties,2 restaurant,gym,pool,3 guest elevators,2 staff service elevators,2 generator,3 meeting rooms, 500 seat hall. A whole lot would definitely go into the making of this place and staying presence in business for a long time, think of the standard you intend to have and the clientele you want to attract. If it’s international then you would definitely need to pour in more.
Rooms: international standard
It’s definitely not cheap to furnish 220 rooms, given you want to reproduce an international theme in these rooms. Most of the furniture are imported, now I love my country and it would be nice to patronize and buy things here but experience has taught one to make sure if you want quality (what would last and serve for years ,max 5yrs)you need to spend. The mattresses are all imported, we have bought some from the mattress makers here in Nigeria but I tell you there is no basis for comparison, the ones imported lasted for 5 years straight up, but the ones we bought here (the highest quality grade) just to change the imported ones that are now sunken did not hold up for 6months before they collapsed. Same goes with the quality of rugs and other soft furnishings in the room and bed linens. So you can imagine the amount this will gulp
Food and beverage/kitchen operations:
So much goes into this , the equipment to be used ,cooking equipments/machines, the crockery sets were all brought in, our own Nigeria brand does not match, we don’t even have ours in Nigeria, most of the cooking Bain marine, boilers, mixers e.t.c are not made here in Nigeria. They are imported; even when you go to our Nigerian Lagos market or other states, what you find is china. Don’t forget these are industrial machines meant to serve for 5years
Laundry:
You want to set up a laundry that wash and dry-clean something of high capacity, this also requires some strong industrial machines, can you mention a company in Nigeria making such machines-None except the domestic which some of us have tried at home and they dint last. Don’t want to mention names…
Aesthetics /ambience, building.
A lot would definitely go into this, to make it standard. Most times the building contractors are world class builders…
Lift, generators, power;
The hotel needs power and that we certainly lack right now in Nigeria. For most part of the day the hotel is powered by gen, you have guest from the world where everything is fast, now you want such people in your hotel, you definitely would to do all you can to keep them, the hotel needs power, we don’t want them stuck in lift, they need internet, fast connectivity, wifi… sometimes Nepa current is low, cant power much, and very unreliable able and diesel is not cheap at all. Hmmm. see where the money goes.
Waste:
We are charge heavily to dispose our waste…lawma must make money
Staff and remunerations
We have expatriate with wealth of experience and exposure to run the place. Most of them have families back at home, so they sacrifice and come stay here .the indigenes of the country Nigeria form a larger percentage of staff 80%(250 staff).they all get paid salary, medical coverage, pension ,nhf…. All does not come cheap. Nigeria really has more to do to make prices drop. If we had more professionals in the business that would run the hotel properly and not employ all their families to run down the place, we may not need 20% expat to come and be paid 1.5mil each per month, and who says hotels don’t pay well. That’s not true. Maybe very small hotels, or Lebanese and Indian run hotels. There are some good ones that pay.
But personally if I want to do mine later in life, I may not necessarily choose 100% international theme setting. Having seen what obtains in the industry. I would mix it up and still have some classy style…….so price can be low, maybe before my dreams are actualized Nepa and other issues would have been stable, who knows…… once again this is not to justify the high rate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank Appoints Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe As New MD / Naira Exchange Rate Against Dollar, Pound And Euro / Nana Otedola Stunning In A Throwback Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.