Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa (37660 Views)

Naira Exchange Rates Today / The 10 Most Expensive Alcoholic Drinks On Earth / Why Are Imported Goods Excessively Expensive In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by t2luv1: 7:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
whirlwind7: It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Cost of running business in Nigeria is outrageously high. Same reason why many companies have been shut down: No water, no electricity.

In manufacturing term we call it COGS (Cost of Goods Sold). Normally labor is the most expensive item during cost roll up in determining how much to sell a manufacture good. In Nigeria it is usually utilities. That is why I am always skeptical when I read about an auto company setting up shop in Nigeria cos I know from experience how important constant source of energy is to a manufacturing or assembly plant. I know we will get there one day.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Tobbey(m): 7:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
ONLY FOR THE RICH
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Solodegreat24(m): 7:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
And we are wondering why d country don't hv tourists. Nonsense. Wht a failed economy!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by t2luv1: 7:14pm On Sep 04, 2014
UchihaMadara:

You see many houses like so in Lagos (Lekki, V.I, and so on), a big mansion and outside, the roads are terrible, and the gutter is open for the world to see, filled with green shh that can make you throw up your breakfast on leaving your mansion.

I just don't get how houses in Nigeria go for such high amounts, and you get nothing, no amenities, nothing!

Compare this guys neighbourhood now in Lekki:

To these neighborhoods:

And those houses goes for 1/4th of the cost it takes just to buy a plot of (120X60) in Lekki. Only in Nigeria !!!!. I always wonder how people are able to justify spending such a huge amount just to buy a land with no amenities.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 7:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
Segadem: That excuse does not hold water, are they the only one that generates power for themselves? It is everybody's problem, once u are living in Nigeria u get to generate your power,your water, your security and so on!

I fuelled my generator everyday, I pay for the water, and I pay #800 for vigilante every month.

So your excuse is peculiar to everyone living in this country.

Pls answer these question:
Are u buying generator everyday to power d hotel?

Are u drilling bore holes everyday to keep the water flowing?
If ur answer is No,then it's common to everyone.

No mind them bro, borehole that is drilled and piped once. Me self go soon on my gen. Like that every night for 3 hours.

So if I pay N6000 for a low class room in a hotel, I don't deserve an AC to prevent mosquitoes biting me all under the 12 Noon to 12 Noon time. ?

Smh..

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Suarezilla(m): 7:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
Blockus:

You Only Live Once.

Treat yourself to some luxury from time to time.
I'd rather give such money to the less priviledge
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by InvertedHammer: 7:19pm On Sep 04, 2014
CityNG:

Unfortunately I wouldn't take an out of towner who I invite to lunch/diner to a place that serves half and half with 3 items for $10.00

Why drive to CT when I can just pull in to "Wok For Food" locally?

/
Day to day living bro.

Not every day that you go for official dinner. That's why there is something called take out. You don't have to eat there.

Thai food is about the same price but in a serene environment.

Good food is good food unless you wan form or out just to impress.

\

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by clog(m): 7:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
Whoever pays N200k to sleep for just a night is nt wise at all.

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by InvertedHammer: 7:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
t2luv1:

And those houses goes for 1/4th of the cost it takes just to buy a plot of (120X60) in Lekki. Only in Nigeria !!!!. I always wonder how people are able to justify spending such a huge amount just to buy a land with no amenities.

/
Estate development usually starts with construction of access roads and streets so that potential and prospective buyers can drive in, look at the models and sign a contract.
But in Nigeria, the reverse is the case

Why complain? One csn decide to dive into the murky water of Nigeria business. What an easy way to make money?! You don't need to deliver quality.
Churn out any crap and people are willing to pay just to belong/form.

Minimal packaging required. No oversight.
/

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by royalblood21: 7:27pm On Sep 04, 2014
sirjohnson: I dont believe this
Cos u live in Osun...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 7:27pm On Sep 04, 2014
Naigerian: Simply put. Money has no value in Nigeria.

I get 50% discount in southern sun ikoyi because of my work. Paying like 32k+ naira. I get a hotel in Vegas strip for less than $150 per night.

You go put with friends to the club and end up paying a bill if 300k naira upwards. And in Vegas it's a whole lot less for a more enjoyable time out with friends.

In johannesburg, meat of 70Rands (about a thousand naira) will make 3 decent meals. You can't try that in Nigeria.

The cost of buying a land in Maitama Abuja is way more than the cost of buying a 30 bedroom mansion in the US. Yet after spending the money, the satisfaction is a little less than misery.

You made a point.

I was baffled to hear one guy her in naija has a house in U.S. but he still resides in a flat in a local city here in Nigeria. It wasn't heresay, its someone I do business with.

Make we make things cheaper for ourselves and eschew greed and avarice..

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by persius555(m): 7:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
Chai!!!!!!!!248,000 naira per night. I better not have nightmares if i spend a night in that room or else i will sue them or ask for refund.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by 100Cents: 7:33pm On Sep 04, 2014
UchihaMadara:

Exactly, check out a typical Holiday Inn interior:

This room usually goes for around $70 and you get fresh towels, fresh sheets, high water pressure in shower, clean water....

Though there are some hotels on the island that go for around 15K but truth be told, they are more the equivalent of Motels (Motel 6 comes to mind).

I remember walking into Radisson Blue and asking for the cost per night, and the guy just looked at me with one kind eye like this then said, "NGN65,000", omo I busted a u-ey ASAP! I haven't reached that level yet, maybe one day, but still it would be nice to find quality hotels fitting different socioeconomic classes, with great services.

On a side note: Has anyone noticed that chinese food is very expensive in Nigeria? Chinese food is suppose to be on the cheap side na!

This looks like a N25,000 discounted room in Transcorp Metropolitan, calabar.

Fine room with 4 neat towels and excess of amenities like soaps, mouth wash, cream and perfume...

Not forgeting that it contains two beds...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
InvertedHammer:

/
Day to day living bro.

Not every day that you go for official dinner. That's why there is something called take out. You don't have to eat there.

\

A non sequitur. I don't form or impress and I just do me.

We got here because it said that Chinese food is supposed to be cheap.

Yes the slop at local joints are cheap but not from a sit down authentic place.

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by sirjohnson(m): 7:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
royalblood21:
Cos u live in Osun...

Nope, I live is Sambisa

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by manny4life(m): 7:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
InvertedHammer:

/
Day to day living bro.

\

I was about to say the same thing now, few times I was in a Thai restaurant in VA, man, I enjoyed it better than Chinese cuisine... The restaurant itself is perfect, and the food? Spicy and tasty grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by manny4life(m): 7:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
CityNG:

A non sequitur. I don't form or impress and I just do me.

We got here because it said that Chinese food is supposed to be cheap.

Yes the slop at local joints are cheap but not from a sit down authentic place.

What would you recommend is a good food?
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
manny4life:

What would you recommend is a good food?

You mean a Chinese dish?

I am averse to anything that has pork in it (not religious just a thing I have) so most dishes that have seafood are on the table.

I like Shrimp with Black Beans Sauce, as an example but only 3 restaurants in SoCal know how to prepare it correctly, IMHO. Sometimes I drive for 30 miles to go to one of them.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by bigtt76(f): 8:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
What do you expect ...hotels like every other Nigerian out there, generate their own electricity, provide their own source of potable water supply, provide their own security, pay tax, employ labour .....sometimes I wonder how they are able to cope undecided perhaps through 'short-time' shaaaa grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by poweredcom(m): 8:07pm On Sep 04, 2014
Omo short rest na 700naira and full 24 hrs lodgin na 3500 na...abi I wan live for hotel forever omo I control my ashewo I collect room...nak banga

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by BodyKiss(m): 8:10pm On Sep 04, 2014
aholiab: GOD help us

Wetin concern God for this matter?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by harrysterol(m): 8:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
Okijajuju1: I agree..

Spent 10 nights in Four Points by Sheraton last Christmas... Nna MEN!!!! angry I nearly break-up with my wife that Christmas when I see the debit alert. angry
c sawa cheesy thank God una no brakeup o grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Okijajuju1(m): 8:32pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yungwizzzy: shey The sleep for these expensive hotels dey different??

No jokes, e different. grin

When you sef wake up, your body go tell you. grin

3 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by julibos: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hmm, am an hotelier ,I believe I can identify a little with the high room rate .in as much as I’m in the business ,I’m not trying to totally justify the high rate, it could be a little lower but then check this analysis: I’m using a case study of an international brand of 220 bedded rooms
You have a 220 room facilties,2 restaurant,gym,pool,3 guest elevators,2 staff service elevators,2 generator,3 meeting rooms, 500 seat hall. A whole lot would definitely go into the making of this place and staying presence in business for a long time, think of the standard you intend to have and the clientele you want to attract. If it’s international then you would definitely need to pour in more.
Rooms: international standard
It’s definitely not cheap to furnish 220 rooms, given you want to reproduce an international theme in these rooms. Most of the furniture are imported, now I love my country and it would be nice to patronize and buy things here but experience has taught one to make sure if you want quality (what would last and serve for years ,max 5yrs)you need to spend. The mattresses are all imported, we have bought some from the mattress makers here in Nigeria but I tell you there is no basis for comparison, the ones imported lasted for 5 years straight up, but the ones we bought here (the highest quality grade) just to change the imported ones that are now sunken did not hold up for 6months before they collapsed. Same goes with the quality of rugs and other soft furnishings in the room and bed linens. So you can imagine the amount this will gulp
Food and beverage/kitchen operations:
So much goes into this , the equipment to be used ,cooking equipments/machines, the crockery sets were all brought in, our own Nigeria brand does not match, we don’t even have ours in Nigeria, most of the cooking Bain marine, boilers, mixers e.t.c are not made here in Nigeria. They are imported; even when you go to our Nigerian Lagos market or other states, what you find is china. Don’t forget these are industrial machines meant to serve for 5years
Laundry:
You want to set up a laundry that wash and dry-clean something of high capacity, this also requires some strong industrial machines, can you mention a company in Nigeria making such machines-None except the domestic which some of us have tried at home and they dint last. Don’t want to mention names…
Aesthetics /ambience, building.
A lot would definitely go into this, to make it standard. Most times the building contractors are world class builders…
Lift, generators, power;
The hotel needs power and that we certainly lack right now in Nigeria. For most part of the day the hotel is powered by gen, you have guest from the world where everything is fast, now you want such people in your hotel, you definitely would to do all you can to keep them, the hotel needs power, we don’t want them stuck in lift, they need internet, fast connectivity, wifi… sometimes Nepa current is low, cant power much, and very unreliable able and diesel is not cheap at all. Hmmm. see where the money goes.
Waste:
We are charge heavily to dispose our waste…lawma must make money
Staff and remunerations
We have expatriate with wealth of experience and exposure to run the place. Most of them have families back at home, so they sacrifice and come stay here .the indigenes of the country Nigeria form a larger percentage of staff 80%(250 staff).they all get paid salary, medical coverage, pension ,nhf…. All does not come cheap. Nigeria really has more to do to make prices drop. If we had more professionals in the business that would run the hotel properly and not employ all their families to run down the place, we may not need 20% expat to come and be paid 1.5mil each per month, and who says hotels don’t pay well. That’s not true. Maybe very small hotels, or Lebanese and Indian run hotels. There are some good ones that pay.
But personally if I want to do mine later in life, I may not necessarily choose 100% international theme setting. Having seen what obtains in the industry. I would mix it up and still have some classy style…….so price can be low, maybe before my dreams are actualized Nepa and other issues would have been stable, who knows…… once again this is not to justify the high rate.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by ayubaazonto: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2014
typical lie sadtypical lie
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by experimentist: 9:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
Kagawa: According to a story on the guardian newspaper of last week, despite the high number of hotels in Lagos metropolis, it remains the city with highest charges on hotel accommodation in Africa. The Lagos state hotel licensing office cites that there are about 2,500 registered hotels in the state. Now the guardian newspaper’s research finds out that five star hotels with branches in other African countries like Johannesburg, South Africa, Kenya, Nairobi, Maputo, Zambia, Lusaka, Da es Salam, Tanzania, Mauritius, charge very much higher room rates in Lagos compared to their other African cities counterparts.

It may shock you, but the price difference at times is at 1,48%. Guardian further explains that the standard room for Southern Sun Ikoyi, Lagos costs ₦62,000 but in Johannesburg South Africa, the same room costs ₦25,000. In Sheraton Hotel Pretoria, South Africa, a diplomatic suit with a king size bed costs ₦149,000/night but the same in Lagos, Nigeria goes for ₦248,000 with a difference in 65 per cent.

Why do these hotels cost so much? A hotel sales and marketing manager says this is because many visitors prefer branded hotels, especially the ones their companies are associated with. He also says the prices are hiked since demand is higher than supply in peak periods hence that the market forces are to be blamed.

There is also an argument that the more expensive the hotel room is, the more standard their services would be and many travelers love standard. Now another factor is cost of operation, many hotel owners say this is the chief reason for the hotel rooms exorbitant prices. as the cost incurred in running a hospitality business in Nigeria is horribly high because of inefficient availability of basic amenities like power, water, as most of these hotels now provide their own power in form of diesel generators and of course dig their own wells.

More so, these hotel owners invest huge amounts of money in security which the government is presently failing to do and thus this further catapults the hotel rates. Many of these other African countries do not have the aforementioned problems. Presently Nigeria can only supply 4,000Mw, but that of South Africa is 45,700Mw. There is also the problem of multiple taxes and other charges like signboard fees, liquor license, tenement rate, water, electricity and parking bill.

Although it said that the labor costs in Nigeria is relatively cheap compared to that of other African countries, employee costs is also held as another reason for the exorbitant hotel room rates in Lagos.

see more: - http://thebusinessaim.com.ng/lagos-city-hotel-rates-are-the-highest-in-africa/
Ho.. Wetin? Na on top roof sure pass o!

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
charony: Just being extravagant.....

yea ooo...

when i saw the title,iwas wondering whether na the small 5k and 10k hotels i normally lodge in till i read through...

well,when you can afford it..its difficult not to spend .
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by BlackBaron: 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
100Cents:

So which country has the highest cost of cement ?

...in fact, I might have been wrong. We do have the most expensive cement prices on the planet.
Added to my first post.
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by wills(m): 9:48pm On Sep 04, 2014
lagos-hotels-2nd-most-expensive in the world

https://www.nairaland.com/1022934/lagos-hotels-2nd-most-expensive

One word, profiteering

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by piagetskinner(m): 9:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
Yungwizzzy: shey The sleep for these expensive hotels dey different??
I tire oo
Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by abartworld: 9:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
Naigerian: Simply put. Money has no value in Nigeria.

I get 50% discount in southern sun ikoyi because of my work. Paying like 32k+ naira. I get a hotel in Vegas strip for less than $150 per night.

You go put with friends to the club and end up paying a bill if 300k naira upwards. And in Vegas it's a whole lot less for a more enjoyable time out with friends.

In johannesburg, meat of 70Rands (about a thousand naira) will make 3 decent meals. You can't try that in Nigeria.

The cost of buying a land in Maitama Abuja is way more than the cost of buying a 30 bedroom mansion in the US. Yet after spending the money, the satisfaction is a little less than misery.

wow

1 Like

Re: Lagos City Hotel Rates Are The Most Expensive In Africa by Eyop: 10:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
piagetskinner:
I tire oo

Level pass level my brother even though the prices are high,but Pray for God to bless you wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

GTBank Has Refused To Reverse A Fraudulent Transaction Made On My Account / Fidelity Bank Appoints Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe As New MD / Invest And Earn Big In Haulage (truck) Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.