Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,594 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Safe Driving In The Rain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Safe Driving In The Rain (1121 Views)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain / How To Drive In The Rain / 25 Rules For Driving In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Safe Driving In The Rain by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:16am On Sep 05, 2014
I have noticed that every day it rains we have several single vehicle accidents and several multi-vehicle accidents so I started this thread.

What do you do so you don't become involved in one?

Tip #1: If it rains and you can afford to, don't even bother to get on the road. The reason: You may be very careful but the other driver(s) aren't and you still become involved.

Tip #2: Slow down

Tip #3: Functional wipers. It was a shock to me several months ago when it suddenly rained and my wipers got stuck. That day I got to know that wipers are a safety device. Because all of a sudden I became blind. What saved me is that I have this practice of speeding ahead of the pack and giving myself around 3 to 5 minutes gap between me and moving packs of traffic. So I had to slow down, turn on hazard and carefully pull of the road. So check that your wipers are functional and not worn out. Needless to say I fixed it the very next day ( it happened at night)

Tip #4: Functional and filled up wiper reservoir tank - because dirt can muddy up the windscreen and wipers will make it worse without the aid of water from the tank.

I could go on and on and on but let others share their own tips

1 Like

Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by santakris(m): 5:32am On Sep 05, 2014
Driving is all about good and accurate calculation. It's all about good vision and right state of mind. If you don't have the aforementioned you can not drive in night or when it rained. You know good driver when it rained heavily in the night.
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by IdaraCHODB(m): 5:33am On Sep 05, 2014
I stand to be corrected but it seems to me that those multi-vehicle accidents during rains are caused by following the car in front too closely or faulty braking. Note: I have no evidence to proof what I said aka it's just a guess.

But I strongly believe in these words:

"It takes longer to stop in the wet, so increase your crash avoidance space and drive at a slower pace than you normally would.

Brake earlier, and less forcefully, than you normally would. This increases the stopping distance between you and the car in front, and signals to the driver behind that you’re slowing down."

Source: https://www.keys2drive.com.au/learning_to_drive/driving_skills__tips/tips_for_driving_in_the_rain.aspx
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by abatically(m): 7:50am On Sep 05, 2014
Also turn on headlamps in heavy rain especially those cars without DRL. I see a lot of people driving in heavy rain without their headlamps on. Its a safety feature.

2 Likes

Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 05, 2014
abatically: Also turn on headlamps in heavy rain especially those cars without DRL...
I'm with abatically... But ensure you use low beam only.
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by sultaan(m): 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
Use rainx
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by bravolad(m): 9:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
On the contrary, I enjoy driving when it's raining. As @idarachodb noted, you could be very careful but the next driver might not be as careful. I have always known that the best safety measure during rainfall is to avoid driving while it's raining. Drive in rain ONLY when it is absolutely unavoidable.
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by davo3286: 4:39am On Sep 06, 2014
Also ensure that your HVAC is functional and know the proper way to use it, as in the controls on your dash. Funny enough most people don't know how to use these controls. Most times during the rain I see people (i'm not talking about KabuKabu drivers o. I mean normal private drivers with good clean cars) drive with their car windows looking all foggy, blurred and misty so to speak. Some will use towel to wipe the inside glass as they drive which is even unsafe. So, I begin to wonder whether their HVAC system is not working or they just don't know how to use it.

A functional HVAC system coupled with good wipers give the best visibility during the rains. Always use your AC and heater (low heat) at the same time. This will heat up the air inside the cabin and dry it at the same time leaving your windscreen and windows clear from humidity from your breath as you exhale. Thus you will be able to see clearly through your windows and windscreen.

Now some safety tips:

1. Make sure your HVAC system is in good working condition and know how to operate it.

2. Make sure your wipers are good and that you have water in the washer reservoir.

3. Clean and maintain your windscreen and windows to avoid streaks especially during the rainy season.

4. Don't over speed in the rain.

5. Don't speed into puddles as you could be thrown off course by the water. ...happened to me once.

6. When driving in the rain and through puddles hold your steering wheel with both hands with a fair grip.

7. Don't break hard in the rain.

8. Always put on and dip your headlight in the rain. I see people driving without light on during the rain and its very unsafe both for yourself and others.

9. Do not overtake on a busy traffic in a double lane road during heavy down pour when visibility is very poor. This is the cause of head-on-collision on the road during the rain.

10. Use your senses, be patient! One second of impatience can render your vehicle useless and your life lost.

11. Add yours

2 Likes

Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by bimbor(m): 8:12am On Sep 06, 2014
Front page material.
Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by olatade(m): 10:04am On Sep 06, 2014
davo3286: Also ensure that your HVAC is functional and know the proper way to use it, as in the controls on your dash. Funny enough most people don't know how to use these controls. Most times during the rain I see people (i'm not talking about KabuKabu drivers o. I mean normal private drivers with good clean cars) drive with their car windows looking all foggy, blurred and misty so to speak. Some will use towel to wipe the inside glass as they drive which is even unsafe. So, I begin to wonder whether their HVAC system is not working or they just don't know how to use it.

A functional HVAC system coupled with good wipers give the best visibility during the rains. Always use your AC and heater (low heat) at the same time. This will heat up the air inside the cabin and dry it at the same time leaving your windscreen and windows clear from humidity from your breath as you exhale. Thus you will be able to see clearly through your windows and windscreen.

Now some safety tips:

1. Make sure your HVAC system is in good working condition and know how to operate it.

2. Make sure your wipers are good and that you have water in the washer reservoir.

3. Clean and maintain your windscreen and windows to avoid streaks especially during the rainy season.

4. Don't over speed in the rain.

5. Don't speed into puddles as you could be thrown off course by the water. ...happened to me once.

6. When driving in the rain and through puddles hold your steering wheel with both hands with a fair grip.

7. Don't break hard in the rain.

8. Always put on and dip your headlight in the rain. I see people driving without light on during the rain and its very unsafe both for yourself and others.

9. Do not overtake on a busy traffic in a double lane road during heavy down pour when visibility is very poor. This is the cause of head-on-collision on the road during the rain.

10. Use your senses, be patient! One second of impatience can render your vehicle useless and your life lost.

11. Add yours

Add ke? U v said it all ma oga.d wise should adhere to the post above

2 Likes

Re: Safe Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 06, 2014
olatade:

Add ke? U v said it all ma oga.d wise should adhere to the post above
What can people with a faulty HVAC system do to be safer?

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry / Calculation Your Car Fuel Consumption / Is This Real Or Just Body Kit???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.