Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain (15659 Views)

10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / Tips When Your Car Is On Fire - FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by emamos: 9:04pm On Apr 29, 2016
The Federal Road Safety Corps has reminded all motorists and other road users to be cautious on the roads as the rainy season has set in.
This is to ensure sanity on the highways during the season even as the Corps also harps on the need for strict compliance with traffic rules and regulations among road users especially during this period.
According to the FRSC’s Public Education Officer, Corps Commander Imoh Etuk, the corps was concerned over the attitude of many drivers.
However, here are a few tips to drive safely during this period according towikiHow;
1.Keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times
Keep all distractions, such as cell phones or even the radio, off and away from you. While focus to your front do Take a Look in Back View Mirror as well Right Hand side & Left Hand side so that you get an 360 degree over view what is happening around any mud slide or falling tree, electric pole, hanging electrical wires , or in coming hazard etc
2.Turn on your headlights.
This will make it easier for you to see what is in front of you; thus, preventing any accidents
3. Keep a minimum of a good five car length from the car in front of you.
You never know what other drivers are going to do or what could happen to you! If that feels too close or too far a rule of thumb is 1 second of following distance per 10 mph (16 km/h). That holds true especially in bad weather.
4. Drive at or below the speed limit.
To the extent that you are comfortable with, and can see far enough in front of you to appropriately make driving decisions.
5.Be aware that the maximum speed at which you can drive is DIRECTLY related to your tires.
Be sure to know the condition of your tyres. Radial tires have better traction than the old bias ply polyester tires, but even they lose their ability to grip wet pavement and channel water out as the tread wears out.
6.Be aware of hydroplaning.
This is where your vehicle travels on top of the water and has NO or very little contact with the ground. Your traction is reduced significantly. To safely get out of a hydroplaning situation let off the gas and steer straight or slightly in the direction you must go. Do not make sudden motions and remain calm.
7.Avoid flooded roads.
Never drive through standing or flowing water in a road way unless you have no choice or you are able to follow someone else to judge the depth of the water. Flooding the engine of your car can cause the engine to stall, and deep water can actually float your car and take it off the roadway.
8.Turn on the defroster if the windshield begins to fog.
In hot, muggy weather, air conditioned air (which cannot contain as much moisture) will usually clear the inside of the windshield faster than non air conditioned.
9. Be aware that brakes can be affected by water.
Wet drum type brakes are especially prone to decreased stopping power after driving through deep water.
10. Watch for splashing from potholes and pools of water that accumulate at clogged storm drain pipes and low areas of the pavement.
Highways also develop “ruts” where the heaviest traffic tracks, and you may be able to position your vehicle while remaining in your lane to avoid these.

http://www.punchng.com/10-safety-tips-driving-rain/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by emamos: 9:04pm On Apr 29, 2016
It is well
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Tapout(m): 9:31pm On Apr 29, 2016
only 10% of Nigerian drivers would at least adhered to 4 of those rules. The remaining 90% including me don't give a Bleep about any shitty rules....we just locked our Windows, switch the ac on n keep driving.... if however the ac was already on, we probably wouldn't even notice the rain

God help us all.. embarassed

7 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by html14java(f): 9:32pm On Apr 29, 2016
Ok. Good news
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Chidexter(m): 9:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
Drive extremely carefully and make sure you are at alert to detect incoming floods

12. Be sure to expect hidden portholes submerged by water. (foreigners take note)

13. Do well not to splash passerby muddy water as that might result in problems ranging from insult, curses, abuses.... To broken lights and shattered windscreen from the avenging individual

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Titto93(m): 9:34pm On Apr 29, 2016
We come to your place
You kill us
You come to our place
You kill us
We want to fight back
Soldiers will arrest us
#fulaniherdsmen#

Agatu killings...... silence
Uzo Uwani killings... silence.

"Baba, you need to speak to Nigerians right now in a live broadcast.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by panky0: 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
Nice one@op
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Babysho(m): 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
If only those Yellow Bus Drivers are on Nairaland.

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by donbenedict(m): 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
Nice one
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by bunmat007: 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2016
Learnt something new tonight... Op you are gbaski....
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by DonRossy: 9:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
Nice one
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by IYANGBALI: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
Na who car and rain epp?
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
I have read a lot of good things on Nairaland today including this. Thank God we are moving away of the era where we are told to come watch Tonto Dike's cleavage

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
How does that stop Don Jazzy from turning Tiwa savage & Di'ja Vagina(ToTo) into Mungo Park for his fat Prickk?

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt] Like if you dont have a car like me.. but want one so badly.. God wil answer our prayers [/size] wink

Btw,listen to my songs at http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/

6 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
Tapout:
if however the ac was already on, we probably wouldn't even notice the rain

embarassed
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
Tapout:
if however the ac was already on, we probably wouldn't even notice the rain

embarassed

As in eh

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by headboiy: 9:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
Ensure your wiper is in good working condition

1 Like

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by iyyke(m): 9:55pm On Apr 29, 2016
nyc rules... de road safety ar suppose to start sharing booklet(s) containing some of dis rules coz so many drivers dnt knw dis esp de young ones in driving. ....
God bless Naija..
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by MyX1: 9:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
THANK YOU NAIRALAND.
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by donholy28(m): 10:04pm On Apr 29, 2016
Do not splash water on anybody to avoid generational curse
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
I would have expected more from FRSC as per point 2: "2.Turn on your headlights." Please turn ON your light but only on low beam. High beams (Full light) blind drivers coming opposite you on a normal day not to talk of when those beams are bouncing off the wet road surface.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by rawtouch: 10:58pm On Apr 29, 2016
Pull over if visibility is poor
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by omowolewa: 11:09pm On Apr 29, 2016
Nice write up
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by asdfjklhaha(f): 11:15pm On Apr 29, 2016
Ok
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by casttlebarbz(m): 11:42pm On Apr 29, 2016
nice 1 op
btw alaawe alert don sound grin
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Benbisco(f): 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
11. If the rain is too much and you can hardly see, look for somewhere safe eg filling station or shopping mall and park the vehicle. Continue your journey when the rain has subsided.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by Burgerlomo: 11:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
Excellent thanks
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by TalkingBird: 12:07am On Apr 30, 2016
Thanks.
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by godwinkessi: 5:53am On Apr 30, 2016
I've this bad habit of drifting with my Nissan pathfinder SUV when it starts raining. God save me from that habit. Thanks op
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by professore(m): 7:35am On Apr 30, 2016
I like everything written in point 4,I also like point 5,7
Re: 10 Safety Tips When Driving In The Rain by professore(m): 7:36am On Apr 30, 2016
All nice,I like everything written in point 4,I also like point 5,7

(1) (2) (Reply)

PAN Nigeria Demand Reversal Of Tariff Review On Imported Vehicles / Camry 2.2 Lovers Lounge! Come In / NADDC: Nigeria Now Has Capacity To Manufacture 400,000 Cars Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.