Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School (767 Views)

Most Respected Universities In Nigeria / How To Make A First Class Or Distinction In School / OOU Students Protest Bizarre Policy Of Class Repetition For Late Payment Of Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by actYourDreams: 4:01pm On Sep 06, 2014
In case you are wondering, I graduated with a first class in Mathematics from a highly-rated public university, so I think I know what I'm about to say.

A fundamental problem in Nigeria is "class"! We classify everything so badly that we forget that everyone, either first class, pass, no-degree class etc, has got something to offer. Perhaps this also contributes to the divisions in different organisations or communities in Nigeria.

I know the hatred I suffered while trying to simply prove to myself that "I can achieve all things through Christ who strengthens me" while in school. FYI, He still strengthens me till today! Why don't we just let the first class or 3rd class or whatever class be! It is high time we as individuals learned to respect everybody, a 3rd class or pass or even someone who never made it to school. This is 2014 for heaven's sake, let's stop this academic discrimination!!!

There are multiple factors that contribute to a student's achievements. Almost no one expects a talented scholar to achieve much while under financial, emotional or spiritual stress. But if against all odds that individual still achieves 1st class, that is good for her, but that does not make her better than an individual who, even though she had everything going well with her, did not achieve first class. Perhaps this second individual has a different priority, a different goal, a different passion in life that is just not academic!

We may want to respect everybody and choose to celebrate people who add values to other people's lives, and stop glorifying people based on what they achieve for themselves!
Re: Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by myads890(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Nice post. Still, respect is earned not given. GEJ graduated with a third class and look at where he is now.
Re: Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by hushmail: 8:04pm On Sep 06, 2014
many successful pple did not go to Uni still they r respected

whats ur point?
Re: Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by actYourDreams: 8:40pm On Sep 27, 2014
So we should disrespect those who are not in GEJ's position? I mean those who for good reasons refuse to be president of a country? Which do you prefer: a useless president or a useful citizen?
myads890: Nice post. Still, respect is earned not given. GEJ graduated with a third class and look at where he is now.
Re: Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 27, 2014
actYourDreams: So we should disrespect those who are not in GEJ's position? I mean those who for good reasons refuse to be president of a country? Which do you prefer: a useless president or a useful citizen?
read the topic again. That's your answer.
Re: Everyone Should Be Respected Regardless Of Class Or Type Of School by myads890(m): 9:59am On Sep 28, 2014
actYourDreams: So we should disrespect those who are not in GEJ's position? I mean those who for good reasons refuse to be president of a country? Which do you prefer: a useless president or a useful citizen?

You seem to misunderstand me, I only used GEJ as an example because the topic mentioned the issue of certificates. A useful citizen will be respected because he has earned it. Respect is earned. Simple.

However nothing applies in this country and that's why criminals are highly regarded.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

can a matriculated student take jamb exam / How To Design A Website From Scratch Using Your Mobile Phone Even Java Phones / Are You A Student, Copper, Graduate/worker? This Is For You!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.