Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,887 members, 7,828,144 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment (12155 Views)

Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances / I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by bright007(f): 5:47am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: First by asking reasonable questions, and posting reasonable topics, after making reasonable hairstyle.

this doesn't answer my questions
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by CyberEBOLA(m): 5:49am On Sep 07, 2014
bright007:

this doesn't answer my questions
Just become a moderator.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by ochallo: 5:49am On Sep 07, 2014
These are the same people that have risked their lives and prevented Nigeria from becoming another liberia, yet their pay is being delayed because some people think volunteers should not be paid. In cases where volunteers are not paid, they are fed and given souvenirs, if not then pay them. WTF?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Gifted4all(m): 5:49am On Sep 07, 2014
In Nigeria Volunteer means working for free but demanding for payment

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by bright007(f): 5:52am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: Just become a moderator.
Where do I click to be a moderator?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by kingthreat(m): 5:52am On Sep 07, 2014
The Nigerian factor alawyas comes in
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by jnrbayano(m): 5:55am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: First by asking reasonable questions, and posting reasonable topics, after making reasonable hairstyle.

cheesy hahahahahahaha cheesy
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by akinladejo: 6:05am On Sep 07, 2014
lomaxx: I need to check my dictionary for the meaning of "volunteer" again. Maybe the definition has changed.

U must be a wicked soul! Can you tell your brother or sister or uncle even your Dad or mum to risk this thing this people doing? So they should die becuase the volunteer?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by mhsanni(f): 6:20am On Sep 07, 2014
of course they hv to pay them for riskn their lives and their families. ... We r talkn about Ebola here and not malaria... volunteering to work in an Ebola ward evn with the protective gear is like going on a suicide mission with no assurance of comming out alive.... in a failed nation like ours with no life insurance policy. .who would volunteer to do such a thing without being paid for it?.. Evn the so called 50k per day is not worth it...(atleast not worth my own life and my family's heart ache) the government should better look into it and pay them before they loose d few pple riskn deir lives over a few thousands of naira... and whoeva thinks dey dont deserve such money should humbly volunteer theirselves for such work.... afterall its for the benefit of the whole nation..

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 07, 2014
we lack sincerity in governance since 1960.
No communication
No feedbacks
Am not surprised

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by charlesopp(m): 6:23am On Sep 07, 2014
..dem for dey owe me too now o angry
Thank God say I no go grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by JideTheBlogger(m): 6:33am On Sep 07, 2014
Jobbing things grin
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by lomaxx: 7:00am On Sep 07, 2014
akinladejo:

U must be a wicked soul! Can you tell your brother or sister or uncle even your Dad or mum to risk this thing this people doing? So they should die becuase the volunteer?

It wasn't by force na.
Was it compulsory?

What amazes me is that we still have people who can see how the word "volunteer" was used and still went and expect to be treated as an employee. I don't have sufficient facts to make conclusions but I would really love to know if there was a LEGAL agreement, papers were signed on their roles and what they're to be paid. If that wasn't done, relying on the mere verbal promise(with the knowledge of antecedent experiences of heartless Nigerian leaders and politicians) is some sort of a surprising happenstance.

I'm still proud of them though. They did well.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by dahmie2013: 7:06am On Sep 07, 2014
Chaleeee:

Your ignorance defies all limits. Who forced them to volunteer The doctors that almost died in Liberia volunteered and we're not paid a dime for risking their lives.

If you are getting paid for a service rendered, that does not count as volunteering.
Get hold of a dictionary or go read a copy of "English For Dummies"
Foolsmond.

U're d one who's not thinking here! D country is almost @ d verge of an epidemic, if dey give u 1mill 2 come&do wat dey are doing will u collect it? Knowing dat @ d slightest touch or contact with dose patients physically u'll die, no amt of money can reward deir efforts. May God protect deir families also. Its so unfortunate we never get anything right in dis country. Hw can ppl be risking deir lives like dis&d little part govt has 2 play she's defaulting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by LilPeezy(m): 7:16am On Sep 07, 2014
These guys should cool down, dey go pay una....after all no b force dem force una go do d work....na only una cari una celf waka go.....So mek una cul down 4 Jesus
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Tweetums(f): 7:22am On Sep 07, 2014
The money Dagote gave them to fight ebola, whr is it?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by blaxx: 7:38am On Sep 07, 2014
If you don't have a dictionary, visit dictionary.com or google.com and check out d definition of "VOLUNTEER".

When u in church and your pastor says, 'we need 10 volunteers for the ongoing site building tomorrow'.
After raising ur hands and going to the site, does ur pastor/ church pay u? NO!
Rather, at some point, they bring food for you guys and in the end, before you go home, they show a little appreciation.
--------------------------------------------------------
Those people wey dey go flood regions, war torn zones in the name of helping them with food and medicine, do they get paid?
-------------------------------------------------------

so for all of una wey go take a voluntary job without thinking, rethink!
Why would Nigeria give such a job and call it volunteer?
We've got sense man.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Acidosis(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2014
Choi See Moni shocked

N50,000 per day!

Why won't they protest!
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by dapojaja(m): 7:41am On Sep 07, 2014
What many of u don't know is that these volunteers might have already been paid on papers.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by ojeffo: 7:49am On Sep 07, 2014
THE GOVERNMENT MADE AN ANNOUNCEMENT...TGAT THEY NEED VOLUTEERS WHO WILL BE PAID TO ATTEND TO EBOLA PATIENTSS AT 50K PER SHIFT...NOW THEY VOLUNTEERED TO DO A JOB FOR A FEE. U GUYS ARE MISPLACING THIS MEANING OF VOLUNTEER HERE..BUT ITS FUNNY HOW PREDICTABLE NIGERIAN GOVT OFFICIALS COULD BE IN TERMS OF CORRUPTION. ..I TOLD MY FRIEND WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT YHE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT TORI MUST ENTER THE 50K ALLOWEE...DNT EVEN DARE TALK ABOUT THE LIFE INSURANCE!!..
LAST BOMB: NO BE THE SAME PEOPLE WEY DEY PROMISE HEAVENLIES DURING ELECTION

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by phineas: 7:52am On Sep 07, 2014
Let me try and make things a bit clear.

Its a norm for volunteers to be paid a stipend an amount not comensurate to the service they actually offer,so Dr's that earn millions abroad are paid like 250k a month accomodation and meals by Volunteer ts like an honorarium to appreciate service.
So the question is what is the true value of this work they are doing.

The way to appreciate it is how much would u pay an artisan,an accountant,a musician,an officer of the military on outside posting for a job that would risk his life/inconvienience him and that of his whole family per day...

Then u get the perspective of how this 50k a day is actually a stipend.and that the govt still fails to pay it,or they have to request and be spoken to harshly, that anyone criticizes them even from the comfort of a computer screen is Distasteful,and disrespectful to the very lives these pple sacrifice as they come out for this job.You all should really be careful,I believe God Dey.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by kolajoo(m): 8:19am On Sep 07, 2014
blaxx: If you don't have a dictionary, visit dictionary.com or google.com and check out d definition of "VOLUNTEER".

When u in church and your pastor says, 'we need 10 volunteers for the ongoing site building tomorrow'.
Rather, at some point, they bring food for you guys and in the end, before you go home, they show a little appreciation.
Those people wey dey go flood regions, war torn zones in the name of helping them with food and medicine, do they get paid?

We've got sense man.
Can you define an "Agreement" made to these people risking their life. Mtscheww I pity for my country.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by 5minsmadness: 8:26am On Sep 07, 2014
It is now I believe that there are government croonies on this site.

Either that or some people are damn ignorant.(its Sunday so let me try and be polite.

Who didn't hear plainly that the government offered n50k a day for anybody willing to 'volunteer' to take care of the Ebola patients?
Were the volunteers the ones that asked for the money? No! It was the government that suggested it and even then people were reluctant to go because they didn't believe the government would keep its end of the bargain.

Now they are being proved right!

Its not only doctors and nurses, even some street touts went to volunteer with the mind of making some money EVEN AS THEY RISKED THIER LIVES.

Now some of you are saying they shouldn't be paid while balancing in the comfort of your house.

Cowards and thieves!

I have said it before that Nigerians are mumus.

I still blame those who were foolish enough to believe the promise, people who were foolish enough to still believed in the government.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 07, 2014
Chaleeee:

Your ignorance defies all limits. Who forced them to volunteer The doctors that almost died in Liberia volunteered and we're not paid a dime for risking their lives.

If you are getting paid for a service rendered, that does not count as volunteering.
Get hold of a dictionary or go read a copy of "English For Dummies"
Foolsmond.

Volunteers get paid in some cases
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Chaleeee: 8:48am On Sep 07, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Agreed.
Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by 5minsmadness: 8:54am On Sep 07, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Its not even about volunteers getting paid in some cases, THE GOVERNMENT OFFERED TO PAY THEM! The government said anyone who volunteered to work at the Ebola centre would be paid a stipend of N50k a day. They are the ones who said it! And now are not willing to pay!

Who in their right mind would support such a government? Anybody defending them now is either supremely ignorant or is getting bribed to do so!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 07, 2014
lomaxx: I need to check my dictionary for the meaning of "volunteer" again. Maybe the definition has changed.

E-diot
Why didn't you volunteer? You're opening your dirty mouth to criticize those who did. They were willing to give up their lives for a greater good while you selfish t.wat is here typing nonsense.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by obailala(m): 8:59am On Sep 07, 2014

Where is the education of my people?... Must every word be read literally?

A volunteer is someone who willingly offers himself/herself to perform a task which others would rather not want to be involved in... That does not mean the person should not be paid especially when the person volunteered for a paid job. I work from Mondays to Fridays but sometimes my boss requests for 'volunteers' to work on weekends. If I volunteer to work on a weekend, I would be paid at a higher rate than what I earn normally.

Now with regards the ebola volunteers, no health worker would wish to go close to the ebola treatment centres especially due to the way health workers seem to have been majority of the victims in Nigeria and also because of the shabby way in which the government treats the victims.. For this reason, there has to be an enticing benefit package for whoever volunteers to work in these centres... I wonder why this simple logic is too difficult for supposedly enlightened Nigerians to understand... Even with the package promised by the government, only a few health workers still came forward and now it is alleged that the government is defaulting in its promises..

Instead of discussing the diabolic actions of the government or whoever is responsible for paying their entitlements, Nigerians who should be worried are here debating the meaning of the word 'volunteer
' undecided

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 07, 2014
blaxx: If you don't have a dictionary, visit dictionary.com or google.com and check out d definition of "VOLUNTEER".

We've got sense man.

Shut the eff up dude.
Why didn't you volunteer?
They're selfless willing to give up their lives for that.
You didn't do it and now you're saying they shouldn't be paid?
What sort of degenerate are you??
Without them, ebola would probably he ravishing your twisted brain now.

It's not a must to comment on things you know.
You can reserve your stupidity for things like dorobucci and tiwa savage.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by obailala(m): 9:01am On Sep 07, 2014
5minsmadness:
Its not even about volunteers getting paid in some cases, THE GOVERNMENT OFFERED TO PAY THEM! The government said anyone who volunteered to work at the Ebola centre would be paid a stipend of N50k a day. They are the ones who said it! And now are not willing to pay!

Who in their right mind would support such a government? Anybody defending them now is either supremely ignorant or is getting bribed to do so!
It's unbelievable the way Nigerians turn around and deffend the diabolic actions of the government and even place the blame on their fellow suffering masses

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 07, 2014
Better check again and tell us where it says Volunteers are not been paid?
Your sorry butt deserve to bleed to death of ebola

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hollande Becomes First European Leader To Visit Ebola-hit Region / How Poor Diet Delays Pregnancy / This Is Urgent Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.