Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,423 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

The Essence Of Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Essence Of Marriage (5405 Views)

What Is The Essence Of 'bride Price'?. / What Is The Essence Of A Honeymoon, When Their Is Premarital Sex? / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Essence Of Marriage by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 26, 2006
I would also appreciate fellow Nairaland users to discuss this issue of the "real essence of marriage".

Some have it that the reason why people go into marriage is due to LOVE why other people say that it is for the sake of procreation.

Please highlight your views.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Damsal(f): 8:28pm On Jul 26, 2006
People go into marriage for the sake of love, some because everyone is doing it, others because it is what is expected by their parents and many for the sake of children.

I was once told that you don't go into marriage for the sake of love but respect because love dies out. My personal view is that love overules and marriage should take place on these grounds.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by kellorah: 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2006
to me,marraige is important!! i'm gonna get married! yipeeee!!!
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Nosu(m): 8:49pm On Jul 26, 2006
These are some few reasonS for marriage :

1. it is ordaine by God - it is the first instution, intiated by th Almighty God Himself.
2. for procreation- God said mutiply and fill the earth hv dominion.it is meant for reproduction,sustaince of life
3. for companion - Bilble says woe to him that stand alone. because when he fells there is nobody to support and encourage him, when he is cold there is nobody he can cleaved to, so as to generate heat
4. Protection
5. For fellowship
6.the upbring of the children i. e direction to the next generation etc.

pls help out, l am block upstair, because l know there are up.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by kellorah: 8:51pm On Jul 26, 2006
but you know you can get most of those things even if you two are just partners
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by iice(f): 8:52pm On Jul 26, 2006
kellorah:

but you know you can get most of those things even if you two are just partners
Right
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by diddy4(m): 9:37pm On Jul 26, 2006
i think its cuzz of God (for those dat believe ooo) cuzz most of the things Nosu mentioned above can be got without the person being married. love(for those dat believe), procreation and happiness are mostly reasons ppl get married. this doesnt mean they cant get them if they aint married. marriage is just what they use to seal it up.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by abiodunade(m): 9:39pm On Jul 26, 2006
I think d essence of marriage is 4 luv and unity among partners.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Busta(f): 10:02pm On Jul 26, 2006
@ abiodunade, thats among partners but why engage in it in the first place??
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by eveseh(f): 10:28pm On Jul 26, 2006
lol
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by LiquidMind(m): 10:34pm On Jul 26, 2006
Marriage is God  ordain  and an holly covenant between a man and woman   to procreate,

some ppl have other reasons  for getting married  which have brought noting but grief,
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by iice(f): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2006
Nothing but grief? and yet there are some who manage 2 make it work really well
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by omonozozo(m): 10:53pm On Jul 26, 2006
Marriage is the best way to tell the world that your partner belongs to you by law.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by otokx(m): 11:12pm On Jul 26, 2006
companionship
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Shagari2(m): 1:21am On Jul 27, 2006
companionship, help; raise and protect children
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by favour5(f): 6:19am On Jul 27, 2006
omonozozo:

Marriage is the best way to tell the world that your partner belongs to you by law.

Good talk!
No trespassing!
Prosecution awaits trespassers and the trespassed!
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by zarah(f): 9:19am On Jul 27, 2006
marriage is a licence to have legal, un-adulterated sex. grin grin grin
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by iice(f): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2006
zarah:

marriage is a licence to have legal, un-adulterated sex. grin grin grin
LOL, u 4got moral(4 those who think so)
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by cammax7(m): 12:21pm On Jul 27, 2006
Companionship, Family
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Rhea(f): 1:25pm On Jul 27, 2006
Like some have rightly pointed out, marriage insitutionalises a partnership between a man and a woman (man & man or woman and woman as has become the case recently angry)

It accords legality to such a partnership so that either partner can seek redress should anything go wrong.
Children from illegal marriages are termed bastards. Not a nice title to bear lipsrsealed

I know of such a partnership. The man is extremely rich and educated. He is also a playa playa. He never got married to the partner. She just moved in and they started proliferating kids. They literally banged grin their way into the partnership.

She can only sit back and look. There's no divorce nor settlement in this case. She can only (should she choose to) walk out from his house like any other friday-night-one-night-stander. Only this time, we are talking of more than 15 years.

So marriage is essential. It is sacred and should be regarded as such.
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Rottweiler(m): 6:02pm On Jul 27, 2006
A lot of guys marry because they want to monopolise their partners!

[list]
[li]You meet a girl[/li]
[li]become friendly[/li]
[li]go out on dates[/li]
[li]the next thing you plan is how to take her to bed (if you like, disagree you  pretenders)[/li]
[li]after tasting the forbidden fruit, you assess it and decide if you want to continue[/li]
[li]If you decide to continue, you know think of how the forbidden fruit would be yours and yours alone[/li]
[li]marriage then comes in[/li]
[li]in the course of eating the fruit, she gets pregnant and the story continues[/li]
[/list]
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Shagari2(m): 6:06pm On Jul 27, 2006
lol! una don talk true o cheesy
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by iice(f): 7:15am On Jul 28, 2006
lol@Rotweiler, good job lol
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by kellorah: 10:50am On Jul 28, 2006
Rottweiler:

A lot of guys marry because they want to monopolise their partners!

[list]
[li]You meet a girl[/li]
[li]become friendly[/li]
[li]go out on dates[/li]
[li]the next thing you plan is how to take her to bed (if you like, disagree you pretenders)[/li][li]after tasting the forbidden fruit, you assess it and decide if you want to continue[/li]
[li]If you decide to continue, you know think of how the forbidden fruit would be yours and yours alone[/li]
[li]marriage then comes in[/li]
[li]in the course of eating the fruit, she gets pregnant and the story continues[/li]
[/list]
lol
I wont disagree
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by nuru(m): 11:36am On Jul 28, 2006
Love, Mercy, Companionship and possible Procreation- for the couples
Orderliness, Peace, Progress and Unity- for the society
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 28, 2006
Well, i apreciate your views so far on this prevailing topic, keep posting !
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by soccerchic(f): 3:55pm On Jul 28, 2006
I am getting married because my soon to be husband is very very rich and I want some of that money grin grin

I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry. grin grin grin
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by kellorah: 4:36pm On Jul 28, 2006
lmfao@soccerchick
nice one !!!! cheesy
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by olodo(m): 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2006
grin Zarah na you get am, marriage is for you to have sex wey nobody go ask you say whyyyyyyyyyyy every other thing na jara love, companion, direction, and all those thigs that pastor NOSU mentioned above
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by segedoo(m): 6:02am On Jul 29, 2006
ask the initistor of the institution.i.e GOD
frankly sometimes i wonder?
esp wit some many cuties out there.
i love gorgeous gals by the way so right now thoughts of marriage i postpone
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by Coco29(f): 9:34am On Jul 29, 2006
marriage is a bad word you should all wash ya mouth after saying it,I WILL NEVER EVER INTER THE INSTITUTION OF MARRIAGE AGAIN, IT BELITTLES AND DOMINATES WOMAN. i AM HAPPY JUST HAVING A LOVER. smiley
Re: The Essence Of Marriage by iice(f): 12:41pm On Jul 29, 2006
Coco29:

marriage is a bad word you should all wash ya mouth after saying it,I WILL NEVER EVER INTER THE INSTITUTION OF MARRIAGE AGAIN, IT BELITTLES AND DOMINATES WOMAN. i AM HAPPY JUST HAVING A LOVER. smiley
LOL

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It A Crime To Love Him?! / Honestly Speaking, Why Did You Get Married And Why Do You Want To Be Married? / For Married Women- When You Had Sooo Many Suitors To Choose From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.