Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

Scared Of Getting Old - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Scared Of Getting Old (5348 Views)

**Nigerian Men Who Are Scared Of Successful Women Possess Low Mentality** / For Ladies How To Know Your Partner Is Getting Old / Any Word Of Advice To Those Scared Of Getting Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scared Of Getting Old by WarfyBoy(m): 10:53pm On Feb 22, 2008
I dont know why realy. but sometimes when i c some old pipo aound me who could not walk, talk or do some physical works i feel Scared, looking at them, my mind always tell me "someday you will be like this"

I know its something one cannot run away from, being a kid is sooo full of fun and lovely, i enjoy every bit of it, i wish i could remain like this forever! But i MUST get old, depart and leave a space for the upcoming to do exploit

Please i want to know your views, r there NL'ers in the house who also feel the same.

VOICE it OUT!!!
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by TOYOSI20(f): 12:14am On Feb 23, 2008
I just think of it as a natural phenomena in life,

And that it is inevitable.

When the time comes we all have to go,

Someday, Sometime, and Somehow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by almondjoy(f): 11:10am On Feb 23, 2008
I had grand mothers and grandfathers I loved very much.  I have also worked with a lot of old people.  It takes education and maturity to handle things like this.  You will get there some day too and how you walk this path will definitely determine how your journey will end.  If you slap them around, a toddler will slap you around when you are old and grey too.

. . . . . . .And what about your religion and culture(African values? taught to you by your parents?  Are they failing you now? tongue

The reason why you should live your life fully so that when you get old--you would have less cause for regrets! cheesy

Grow up gracefully, not disgracefully! kiss

Love, respect, honour and cherish them, so that when you grow old and feeble, the younger generations after you will have some consideration for you too.  You reap what you sow! wink
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by NaJaHaJe(f): 11:55am On Feb 23, 2008
@topic

am not so much scared of getting old as i am of being aged and handicapped or physically challenged. embarassed embarassed

This would mean I would have to depend on other people to help me and that thought sends chills up my spine.

My prayer is that i grow old and still be able to cater for myself till i die.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by iice(f): 5:15am On Feb 24, 2008
@Topic. . .nope not scared
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by amsky(m): 1:51pm On Feb 24, 2008
Almondjoy has said it all. Thanks girl.

@poster
I'm not scared of growing old.It's a natural process,and no matter how scared you are,you WILL get old,unless you die young. I am getting older. When i look at my kids,i just smile to myself and that reminds me how old i'm getting. So pray to grow old and to be a blessing to others even in your old age. smiley
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by larekey(m): 2:10pm On Feb 24, 2008
old age is a thing of joy and one that some people are not going to partake in so in my opinion i think anyone who grows old has a lot to be grateful and thankful for. i pray i grow old myself
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by ogb5(m): 3:19pm On Feb 24, 2008
make your life a success while you are young and at old age you will have less worries.

do not waste your youth so that your fears do not come to pass.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by RDynamite(f): 3:22pm On Feb 24, 2008
Better to be old than die young. No need to fear, bro.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by quinofhart(f): 3:24pm On Feb 24, 2008
ogb5:

make your life a success while you are young and at old age you will have less worries.

do not waste your youth so that your fears do not come to pass.

you are so right. Also if you have kids threat them right so they don't abandon you if at your old age you happen to have some of the disabilities the poster highlighted. However what you get from life is what you put in, so live how you want to end up.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by Daman1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2008
I am not a bit scared, all I've got to do is to treat people on my way up right because I'll need them on the way down. The way we use our bodies while still young is another factor, a young man who can sleep with as many as 3,4,5 or more ladies just because he has the strenght and money now is undoing himself the same goes for the ladies!. What we eat and our habits can also contribute to problematic old age, some people would never exercise their bodies, whereas, physical activities helps us to keep fit .
cool coolThe Bible says Hoar(grey) hair is the glory of elders.NOT A SCARE smiley smiley
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by birdman(m): 7:52pm On Feb 24, 2008
Warfy Boy:

I don't know why realy. but sometimes when i c some old pipo aound me who could not walk, talk or do some physical works i feel Scared, looking at them, my mind always tell me "someday you will be like this"

I know its something one cannot run away from, being a kid is sooo full of fun and lovely, i enjoy every bit of it, i wish i could remain like this forever! But i MUST get old, depart and leave a space for the upcoming to do exploit

Please i want to know your views, r there Nairaland'ers in the house who also feel the same.

VOICE it OUT!!!

Old does not mean weak. I know people that are 55+ who still win marathons, hit the gym regularly and are active workers. Its about your attitude towards life and taking good care of your body. You are young, enjoy yourself, experiment, explore, this way when you are old, you'll look on your younger years with a grin cool
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by adeboo(f): 8:53pm On Feb 24, 2008
If u live a well fulfilled young life - then getting old will not be an issue.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by lailai2(m): 9:29pm On Feb 24, 2008
agree with adeboo
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by 4Play(m): 9:33pm On Feb 24, 2008
@Warfy Boy

At the end of the day,you only get old graduallyunless you enter a time machine

As old age nears,you will get more used to the idea.

When you engage in mental time leaps,you get apprehensive.

But if you can't deal with the idea of getting old. . . . . . .have you ever considered suicide? tongue
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by dypo(m): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2008
I really am. Sometimes I reminisce about the old innocent days of childhood and think how I really loved those days. Now, things are different, It's really sad, for me at least.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by 4Play(m): 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2008
Its one thing to reminisce about your younger days but to feel sad about growing old probably reveals deeper emotional issues.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by Seun(m): 10:08pm On Feb 24, 2008
to feel sad about growing old probably reveals deeper emotional issues.
Yeah like not wanting to die. (Clearly, the fear of death is limited to abused children.)
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by 4Play(m): 10:52pm On Feb 24, 2008
Seun:

Yeah like not wanting to die. (Clearly, the fear of death is limited to abused children.)

Presumably,those who don't feel sad about growing old don't have a fear of death.Afterall,death only strikes in old age.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by finemocha(f): 12:10am On Feb 25, 2008
yeah, it never bothered me until i entered medical school,and started interacting more with the older folks, its scary as hell, when ur body starts to break down around u. that is exactly what one patient told me. it is scary but inevitable
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by Cassiel(f): 1:37am On Feb 25, 2008
eat right,exercise regulary,live simply,get enough sleep,drink plenty of water,keep ur mind free from hate and malice(be happy),make ur paths straight with God,and maybe y'all won't worry so much.But then,all of the above aren't always possible simultaenously,so maybe y'all should worry grin
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by pecutrea(f): 2:11am On Feb 25, 2008
Oh yeah, there are times that I look deeper into the future, and I get scared a bit. I get scared a bit because I wouldn't be capable of doing some things I used to enjoy doing.
The prayer is that we all end up with good children that will bury us.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by pecutrea(f): 2:15am On Feb 25, 2008
@ Seun Afterall,death only strikes in old age.

This is not exactly true, death strikes anytime. It strikes both young and old.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by opokonwa(m): 8:19am On Feb 25, 2008
[size=30pt]Nobody wan die but dey wan go heaven! cry cry cry[/size]
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by outlaws(m): 9:42am On Feb 25, 2008
cool
There is nothing to fear than fear it self
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by osat02: 10:10am On Feb 25, 2008
Getting old is as natural as living, l don't really have a problem with living up to 100 as long as l the cash and the vigor to do some ugly things- she u understand? Anyway lets treat the Old ones around with a lot of respect and care
Have a nice week ahead cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by talk2sulta: 10:48am On Feb 25, 2008
sure! old age and death must surely come.its inevitable.so why the fear?there is time for everything on earth.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by kingsikaz(m): 11:50am On Feb 25, 2008
[b] THE PHILOSOPHY OF OLD AGE.
Old age brings problems. But old age qualifies a man for public affairs, and not disqualifies him. It is said that old age impairs the memory; but mental powers become blunted chiefly when they are disused. Old age impairs our strength. But it is enough if we exert with spirit such strength as we have, unlike old Milo of Croton who cried when he watched the athletes. If a man be temperate, the decay of his strength will not be intolerable. Old age is said to be without pleasures. If is from these dangers that old age delivers us, and very grateful we ought to be to old age. But an old man need not be without his convivial pleasures. I do not know any part of life that is passed more agreeably than the learned leisure of a virtuous old age. But there remains a fourth reason why men are often filled with anxiety at the approach of old age. But death is as common to other periods of life, and there is no young man who can promise himself that he shall live until sunset. Again, though the young may only hope for long life, the old have already possessed it, and if long life be an advantage, the advantage is with the old. If death is the end then it is nothing, if it is a transition to eternity, then it is a good. We die as nature intended, to join our ancestors. Every event that is agreeable to nature is a real good, and nothing is more natural than for an old man to die.

There is really nothing to wonder at in that. Those who have no interior source of happiness are afflicted by miseries at every stage of their life; but nothing that is in the course of nature is troublesome to the man who seeks his felicity within himself. It is usual for men to complain, at this season of life, that old age has stolen upon them before they had expected it; but they would feel its burden as heavily if they had hundreds of years in which to prepare it. As for the wisdom of which you speak, if I have any, it is no more than this- that I follow nature as the surest guide, and resign myself, with implicit obedience to all her sacred ordinances.

It is certain that the true grievance, when there is one, lies in the man, and not in the age. Those whose desires are properly regulated, and who have nothing morose or petulant in their temper and manners, will find old age a very tolerable state indeed; but unsubdued passions and a forward disposition will embitter this, as they embitter every other stage of life. Therefore cultivate, throughout your life, the virtues; and they will yield an astonishing harvest for your latest years, besides the pleasures of memory.

The Six Mistakes of Man

1 The delusion that personal gain is made by crushing others.
2 The tendency to worry about things that cannot be changed or corrected.
3 Insisting that a thing is impossible because we cannot accomplish it.
4 Refusing to set aside trivial preferences.
5 Neglecting development and refinement of the mind, and not acquiring the habit of reading and studying.
6 Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do.

Old age is not in weakness of d mind but the advancement of d intellects for those who had sharpen their mind!
even the sovereign God was refers to as ANCIENT OF DAYS( arugbo ojo) and THE YOUTH OF TODAY, and God never grow weak so if we were the producct of CREATIVE ABILITY, then why should we Grow weak?[/b]
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by Goshen360(m): 12:28pm On Feb 25, 2008
@ poster,

You will have to return to eden for you not to get old or die again, lol
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by dee02(m): 1:37pm On Feb 25, 2008
@poster
get a life, you are going to be old whether you like it or not and you would die one day
if you are scared of getting old then stab urself through the heart while your still young or run across third mainland without looking at both sides, with dat you wont get old!
eazy
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by idupaul: 2:00pm On Feb 25, 2008
Man, worry only about things u can change and forget about those u cant do nothing about, aging and death r things that must catch up with u, but u can avoid old age by kicking the bucket now, Enjoy ur lyf man and forget bout aging, i suggest u watch the movie called the bucket list, it will help you see that old age can be fun.
Re: Scared Of Getting Old by jintujinta(m): 2:02pm On Feb 25, 2008
I am not scared and i think no one should.

How you look when you grow old are determined by many factors. One is how are you using yourself now? If you are unfairly used now, by the time you grow up you will become a liability to your people.

Sickness could also age people and weaken them in old age. So take good care of your health.

I pray we all live long to see our children's children, that is to say become grandpa and ma or even great grand pa and ma. And to declare the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wow!! Rainbow Appears Over Mandela’s Body - New York Post / My Wife Don See Me Finish. / Has Your Mom Ever Embarrassed You In Front Of Your Friends?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.