Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,891 members, 7,810,423 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

How Do I Improve My Maths? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Improve My Maths? (20440 Views)

My Encounter With My Maths Teacher Today / How Do I Improve On My Maths Skill / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by boye1: 9:46am On Oct 30, 2008
Nothing in this life is difficult the only reason why u dont know maths is because your foundation is messed up.No matter how u study u will still get stuck all u need is to rebuild your foundation.Get someone that knows it and that is very patient to teach you,you will get the subject.Dont forget that nothing in life is difficult but there is always a price to pay.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by cicero(m): 10:29am On Oct 30, 2008
@ poster
Thanks for this topic
@ all
Thanks for all the meaningful and inspiring posts

@ RichyBlack thanks for especially;
RichyBlacK:

*NB: Avoid math texts with a lot of pictures and flowery designs, popular with books published for American audience. Those pictures and colors will interfere with the pictures and colors your mind must create to capture the abstraction behind some of the concepts,

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ibime(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2008
(1.) Overcome your inner fear of Mathematics

(2.) Shun your calculator. Do everything in your head. This improves your speed, understanding and helps you to build mental shortcuts. It also helps you to grasp concepts easily, believe it or not.

(3.) Grasp the concept of BODMAS fully. Funny enough, 90% of adults cannot apply BODMAS correctly, although they think they can . . .  and that is the main reason they struggle with Maths.

These are the three basic steps that will improve your efficiency in Mathematics. I am a Mathematician and have studied Maths through these 3 simple rules. Most things in Maths involve processes and formulas. Those can be learnt and forgotten again. . . . but if you have these three basic tools in your armoury, you should be OK.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by obinna5000(m): 10:58am On Oct 30, 2008
@Geezle
Thanks for the links.

@poster
Just keep practising. Mathematics is not a difficult course/subject. Because when a person is afraid of a course/subject, failure begins. See it as any other subject u study.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by fittorich: 11:15am On Oct 30, 2008
Improving your math skills is an important step you can take in order to enhance your business life as well as your personal life.

There are many diferent tips you can learn that will help you add and subtract any numbers that you may choose without the aid of a calculator.
5,000 Math Printables
Daily review, critical thinking, puzzles, and much more.
edHelper.com/math.htm
A Level Maths
Oxford College Distance Learning Full Tutor Support, Start Today!
www.OxfordCollege.ac/Mathemati
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by EbonyMerma(f): 11:39am On Oct 30, 2008
My major is Economics. I'm very good at all my other courses even Statistics. But, Math is usually 50-60% (I sometimes fail my tests). What's wrong with me? It's been like this since high school. I was thinking of going to see our Pastor for deliverance but I think he'll just laugh it off and tell me to study.

Math geniuses and others, how do I improve my Math grades?

Ha ha.  Yeah, your pastor will just tell you to study.  Knowing what to study is the question.  I was having a very difficult time with math and I learned that it's because I was trying to listen to the teacher and perform my math problems the way my instructors do.  The best way to learn math is to stop at your local bookstore and pick up an economics step-by step study guide and teach yourself FIRST, so that when the teacher goes over a specific problem, you will have already incorporated your own style of solving math problems.  When you follow your instructor, the instructor should be reinforcing what you already know, because hopefully you read your math book and completed certain assignments before class.

So that's my suggestion, teach yourself first and gain your own grasp.   Use instructors to reinforce what you already know.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by journerman(m): 12:04pm On Oct 30, 2008
@SHAZ< Go through your high school books, textbooks are more reliable than jotted notes in this case. There is something I was made to understand by the Nursing Colleges - when a person grows older, there are certain things that get 'clearer' (more understandable to that individual. You'll be surprised at how fast you'd grasp most of those things you used to fail at.

And this is the secret! Go back to the fundamentals. Everybody is talking about practice, can you practice what you don't understand? If you are talking about the real understanding of maths and not just a particular course in a particular semester, I think you need different answer. There are principles in mathematics and if you miss the basics it will be hard for you to cath up again. So what you need to do now is to go back to your high school mathematics, those things that was like magic to you then will be more clearer now. Take this or leave it mathematics is thesame from basic arithmetic to advance maths, just understand the principles.[/size]
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2008
cicero:

@ poster
Thanks for this topic
@ all
Thanks for all the meaningful and inspiring posts

@ RichyBlack thanks for especially;

@cicero,

You're welcome. I wish you the best in school.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by honpecco(m): 12:46pm On Oct 30, 2008
The only way to learn and appreciate maths is by learning the principles relating to each topic and constant practice. That is the ONLY WAY!
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by jaybee3(m): 1:03pm On Oct 30, 2008
@post
You need to extinguish that horrible fear of mathematics being difficult in ya head.
constant practice makes perfect.

K S stroud is a little bit advanced for an economist as the user ain't going to be doing much of calculus.
I undertook a lot of engineering maths during my time @ uni (studied elect/elect for 1st degree & MSc).

Like Ibime pointed out, doing a lot of mental calculation def helps towards overcoming fear of maths plus understanding basic principles.
good luck and if you do have any specific problems i am sure the good peeps of NL will be more than willing to help out
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Gamine(f): 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2008
I don't think Maths should be forced on anybody

it may not be your calling.

My maths was always average too, i didnt bother my head

funny thing, my physics, electronics and stuff were above average.

i don't even think you are doing bad at 60% ooh.

But as other people have said, PRACTICE, maths needs patience something i didnt have

SOLVE SOLVE SOLVE!
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 30, 2008
@ poster

I agree with Boye1 and Journerman , what you need is to go back to the basics , you can't practise what you do not understand.It'll still be like magic to you so go way back to your Lacombe's , that's right your primary school text and start from there.

There are only 4 operations in maths ; Addition , multiplication , division and subtraction.Nothing else is added any other operation is just a combination of these operations , so go study these operations and master them well then you can head on from there.

If they say Factorize , integrate or even differentiate , it just means add this to this , multiply this by this or a combination of these.

Another thing you have to improve upon is your imagination , it's just not only numbers , you must have a very good imagination

To top it all , practise like your life depends on it , do marathons if you have to or TDB
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Shaz(f): 1:38pm On Oct 30, 2008
journerman:

@SHAZ< Go through your high school books, textbooks are more reliable than jotted notes in this case. There is something I was made to understand by the Nursing Colleges - when a person grows older, there are certain things that get 'clearer' (more understandable to that individual. You'll be surprised at how fast you'd grasp most of those things you used to fail at.

And this is the secret! Go back to the fundamentals. Everybody is talking about practice, can you practice what you don't understand? If you are talking about the real understanding of maths and not just a particular course in a particular semester, I think you need different answer. There are principles in mathematics and if you miss the basics it will be hard for you to cath up again. So what you need to do now is to go back to your high school mathematics, those things that was like magic to you then will be more clearer now. Take this or leave it mathematics is thesame from basic arithmetic to advance maths, just understand the principles.[/size]

My point exactly.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by nic121: 1:41pm On Oct 30, 2008
the only way to know math is to practise it. if you are good in stat at least that is a start. do not have fear for the course. i guess that is the begining of the whole thing. i thougt i was once bad, that was in secondary school. I was always going to ask for help from a guru. the turning pt was when she said she did not have my time. i got angry and dug into the maths book itself and i was well of. if you can organise your day to day activities, i do not see any reason why you cant solve maths. just do maybe the textbook you are using is the problem . Not all are good for starters.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ibime(m): 1:50pm On Oct 30, 2008
apocalypse:

There are only 4 operations in maths ; Addition , multiplication , division and subtraction.Nothing else is added

Point of correction: There are only two operations in Algebra: Addition and Multiplication.

Subtraction is simply the addition of a negative number whilst Division is simply the multiplication of a reciprocal.

Can't help myself. cool
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Geezle(m): 2:03pm On Oct 30, 2008
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by shilling(f): 2:10pm On Oct 30, 2008
Thanks guys for your advice.
I have to confess, I never practice math. Doing the weekly tutorials is such a big problem for me,  I hardly ever complete it. I start shaking like a leaf before I get into the hall not to talk of seeing the question paper, it's that bad. I freak out esp when the first part of the question paper has loads of x's. I'm going to start practicing, I'm writing a test on Sunday,  yeah.

@ engineerd
I've never opened that book although my bro has it. I'll check it out ASAP.

@ Geezle
Tnx
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by oludunamis(m): 2:35pm On Oct 30, 2008
@Richyblack,

Your post about those books brings back memory of my SS1-3 days. I was lucky to have good teachers in my secondary sch, I never practised much, but I guess i kind of flowed with it.

After an MSc in engr now and having not done much maths, I fee rusty now.

@ Shilling
Maths require good foundation especially at primary level amd junior sch level, if you miss it then, its difficult, we had mates in engr then that had no clue about simple trigonometry, only God knows how they passed jamb in the first place
Give it the time it requires, get your basics, it will help your future
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by tundelakin(m): 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2008
WELL U WANT 2 IMPROVE UR MATHS SCORE? WHY DONT U TRY THE FOLLOWING:

FIRST, GO BACK 2 MAY BE 2 UR JS1-JS3 CLASS. STUDY ALL THE TOPICS. I MEAN STUDY EVERYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WIT SIMPLE ARITHMETIC OPERATIONS ONCE U GET THIS DONE. I BET U, U ARE ALREADY 80% CLOSE TO A MATHS GENIOUS. SOUNDS FUNNY? smiley YES BUT DAT'S D TRUE DEAR.

SECONDLY, WORK ON UR ABILITY TO STICK 2 INSTRUCTIONS I MEAN FOLLOW RULES AND DAT'S IT U R A GENIOUS ALREADY.

THE REASON 4 D ABOVE IS ONCE U CAN STICK 2 INSTRUCTIONS  OF A PARTICULAR PRINCIPLE AND U ARE ABLE TO APPLY IT, THE NEXT THING IS U JUST PERFORM SIMPLE ARITHMETIC OPERATIONS LIKE  ADITION, SUBTRACTION, MULTIPLICATION, DIVISION COLLECTING LIKE TERMS ETC. SOMETIMES U APPLY  OTHER TOPICS TO SOLVE A PARTICULAR TOPICS. EXAMPLE MAY BE APPLYING INDICES OR LOGRATHM TO SOLVE AND EQUATION.

ALL THE BEST wink
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by shilling(f): 2:54pm On Oct 30, 2008
Thanks. I've realised I don't read the rules and stuff. Like right now, we're doing logarithms and I'm struggling cos I haven't read the basic rules so applying them is quite difficult. The high school stuff part is difficult cos I don't have my high school books with me, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks all the same.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Tawak: 3:03pm On Oct 30, 2008
study hard

1 Like

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by pnkydbrain(m): 3:06pm On Oct 30, 2008
@Shilling

You just have to be able to
1)Interprete your questions to solvable equations
2)You need to start from the basics and move up - (Basics being arithmetics and then move to mathematics. Arithmetics and Mathematis are not the same thing.
3)Track your progress
4)Have confidence in yourself
5)If possible have a mentor
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by IbehVin: 3:12pm On Oct 30, 2008
I guess there were some, if not all the topics in maths that you tried to evade during your secondary school days and the spirit of these topics are demanding a ransom (failure) from you at your university level.

All you need is to go back to these topics that bear hugely on building a good foundation in maths that are apparently o’level based. When you identify them, learn and practice them. But if after doing this and the problem persist, try advance maths textbooks. At this point, your problem must have been solved.

Yet if it doesn’t, even if Isaac Newton, Pythagoras or Abraham Demoivire is raised from the dead to teach you, you’d still not catch up.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by princekevo(m): 4:45pm On Oct 30, 2008
Jst contact me i would rub and pass on maths anointing to lol.Jst joking kiss
All u jst need is put more interest on maths,make it your core subject and study harder.
Set yourself a goal on it work on that goals and you would see urself speaking in tongues with mathematics.lol
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by ibrahim007: 5:24pm On Oct 30, 2008
Dats the way it is bro,practise makes perfect.Nobody carry am come from heaven.Nothin do anybody.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Pap: 6:19pm On Oct 30, 2008
Later now all these idiots will start looking for high paying jobs.When they have just revealed that they cheated in WAEC
May the Almighty smite all those fools.except d poster.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by buckweath: 7:43pm On Oct 30, 2008
2. Good books are essential. I'll give a short list (for beginner and intermediate-level math; NOT advanced undergraduate or graduate-level math):
i. Pure Mathematics for Advanced Level (1986) [528 pages] by H. Mulholland and B. D. Bunday (Gives a gentle introduction to mathematical rigor; excellent book!)

ii. Additional Pure Mathematics (1980) [356 pages] by  L. Harwood Clarke (The late Harwood Clarke taught mathematics in the finest of English tradition; a gem!)

iii. Engineering Mathematics (2007) [1,200 pages] by  K. A. Stroud and Dexter J. Booth (as mentioned by engineerd) (Written for engineers but, hey, engineers are applied mathematicians, and so are economists! Approaches math with a step-by-step method.)

Those are very good books but I have to add "Intermediate Mathematics" by "Blakey" to that list.

Mathematics is fun if you just let your imagination govern by logic run wild. Maths is not difficult. It's fun. It's like building a house. You cannot start with the roof first. You must build a good foundation, then a good frame, then the roof, then you add as you want to the house. You must have a good foundation to excel in Mathematics.
I did study a lot of Mathematics in my course of study as an Electrical Engineer, but what is lacking in those early years that I picked up later is the History behind the Mathematics.  The study of Fermat last Theorem comes to mind and how it was eventually proved by "Wiles". This is high power mathematics but the concept of Logic and Problem Solving shine forth. If you also consider the study and History behind Complex Number, you will see fascinating stuffs about how letting your imagination run wild, but governed by logic reigns. Look also at the history behind Pi (Ratio of the Circle Circumference to the Diameter). A lot of people, engineers and Mathematician alike, will tell you mathematics; but why, the application is missing.

Then you still need that extra leap of genius to take Mathematics to the next level as Euclid, Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Euler, Godel, Hilbert, Riemann, Gauss, etc did
[color=#770077][/color]
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by MrCrackles(m): 7:45pm On Oct 30, 2008
buckweath:

2. Good books are essential. I'll give a short list (for beginner and intermediate-level math; NOT advanced undergraduate or graduate-level math):
i. Pure Mathematics for Advanced Level (1986) [528 pages] by H. Mulholland and B. D. Bunday (Gives a gentle introduction to mathematical rigor; excellent book!)

ii. Additional Pure Mathematics (1980) [356 pages] by  L. Harwood Clarke (The late Harwood Clarke taught mathematics in the finest of English tradition; a gem!)

iii. Engineering Mathematics (2007) [1,200 pages] by  K. A. Stroud and Dexter J. Booth (as mentioned by engineerd) (Written for engineers but, hey, engineers are applied mathematicians, and so are economists! Approaches math with a step-by-step method.)

Those are very good books but I have to add "Intermediate Mathematics" by "Blakey" to that list.

Mathematics is fun if you just let your imagination govern by logic run wild. Maths is not difficult. It's fun. It's like building a house. You cannot start with the roof first. You must build a good foundation, then a good frame, then the roof, then you add as you want to the house. You must have a good foundation to excel in Mathematics.
I did study a lot of Mathematics in my course of study as an Electrical Engineer, but what is lacking in those early years that I picked up later is the History behind the Mathematics.  The study of Fermat last Theorem comes to mind and how it was eventually proved by "Wiles". This is high power mathematics but the concept of Logic and Problem Solving shine forth. If you also consider the study and History behind Complex Number, you will see fascinating stuffs about how letting your imagination run wild, but governed by logic reigns. Look also at the history behind Pi (Ratio of the Circle Circumference to the Diameter). A lot of people, engineers and Mathematician alike, will tell you mathematics; but why, the application is missing.

Then you still need that extra leap of genius to take Mathematics to the next level as Euclid, Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Euler, Godel, Hilbert, Riemann, Gauss, etc did
[color=#770077][/color]

r u chike obi in disguise?!
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by davidif: 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2008
my only answer is [size=28pt]REPITITION[/size]

Remember that practice does not make perfect but perfect practice makes perfect.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by peejay(m): 9:40pm On Oct 30, 2008
I guess all these posts put together sums up about everything. but i'm inspired to add mine. Up until my SS2, i was poor in maths. one prep night, i walked up to my buddy and asked him to solve a math problem for me. i remember it was in bearing. u no, dat thing about planes flying 200degree north den south, bla bla, blaaa. well instead of my buddy to help me solve it, he reach into his locker and brought out an 80leaves exercise book then said look for the solution there and help urself. i was like "wot da " On the cover of the book was written "Solved maths problems"

So i went over to my class sat down in my seat and opened this book, i was amazed. my buddy had solved so manyyyy many many many maths problems, topic to topic. back to back, i was angry!! DAMN!!, but i was polite enough to ask how he did it. all he told me was follow the syntax( Rules ) and u will be able to do same but don't stop!! Solve all of them, the more u solve, the more u will understand.

And u all know dat saying that the Student becomes better then the master right?? yeaa dats right, eva since then, my life has changed i solved and solved ans solved and i began to see d light! my performance smashed through the roof.

i also applied this to physics and got the same results,

hope this helps,
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:36pm On Oct 30, 2008
peejay:

And u all know that saying that the Student becomes better then the master right?? yeaa that is right, eva since then, my life has changed i solved and solved ans solved and i began to see d light! my performance smashed through the roof.

i also applied this to physics and got the same results,

hope this helps,

@peejay,

Thanks for posting this. Some people see math in isolation and are not eager to apply it to other fields of learning: geography (the concept of great circles, settlements), physics (circuit theory, mechanics), chemistry (analytical chemistry), biology (ecosystems, genetics), etc.

Mathematics has applications in everyday life situations beyond calculating the change you'll get after paying Iya Sikira for those hot akara grin.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 10:40pm On Oct 30, 2008
oludunamis:

@Richyblack,

Your post about those books brings back memory of my SS1-3 days. I was lucky to have good teachers in my secondary sch, I never practised much, but I guess i kind of flowed with it.

After an MSc in engr now and having not done much maths, I fee rusty now.

@oludunamis,

Why not be a tutor to one/some of the many students struggling with this subject? You'll be "killing two birds with one stone"  wink.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lasu Part Time Campus Result Is Out. Good Luck Lasuites / Over 10,000 Candidates Caught Cheating In Anambra- JAMB / Let's See How Clever You Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.