Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

How Do I Improve My Maths? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Improve My Maths? (20441 Views)

My Encounter With My Maths Teacher Today / How Do I Improve On My Maths Skill / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by carmelily: 11:46am On Nov 05, 2008
@RichyBlack

For real. No kidding cheesy
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by TONDO: 6:39pm On Nov 05, 2008
so u mean math is difficult 4 u?
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Boondoggle(m): 8:42pm On Nov 05, 2008
Practise!
Constant practise!!
Constant vigorous practise!!!

If you have your course outline, read ahead of your class otherwise after each lecture practise the topic treated and solve ALL problems you can lay your hands on as per  the topic; then, use the three keys above grin grin grin. If you come accross any problem that seems difficult angry, get help from your colleagues or instructors.

That's it!

Shalom cool
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:08pm On Nov 05, 2008
carmelily:

@RichyBlack

For real. No kidding cheesy

Elegant candor. But I've not heard "jejely" in like forever! grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Elgaxton(m): 5:00am On Nov 06, 2008
Basically Maths is all about interest and ur teacher, I can help u out if u don't mind,

Tell me the particular area where u are having difficulties, elgaxtonatgmaildotcom
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by BigStar1(m): 10:28am On Nov 06, 2008
To me, maths is the simplest subject so far.

Once you adopts these learning skills. I believe you won't need not read widely for exams, you will need just revision

1. Listen : listening is the first learning skill. You give 100% attention to your tutor. As you listen to learn you should also learn to listen.

2. Watch: As you listen to verbal msg from ur tutor, you should also look to grab all non-verbal communication.

3. Write : note taking and note making. Jot all the necessary point been taught in class

4. Concentration : This is the golden key that open the door of success.

5. Read: This, you can do by liasing with other maths gurus around you.

Best of luck
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ibime(m): 10:53am On Nov 06, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Number line representations:

(1) -5^^-4^^-3^^-2^^-1^^0^^1^^2^^3^^4^^5

(2) 5^^4^^3^^2^^1^^0^^-1^^-2^^-3^^-4^^-5

Number lines 1 and 2 are isometric representations of each other (flipping 1 about its zero number gives 2). So, singular points on the number lines are not comparable, however, distances between any pair of points are comparable across number lines.

From the above isometric number lines, -3 x -4 is equal to 3 x 4 = 3 + 3 + 3 + = 12 men, you're wicked o grin

Hehehehe. . . . . . this is unacceptable. . . . flipping number lines around is a tacit admission that you are multiplying by (-1).
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:54am On Nov 06, 2008
Ibime:

Hehehehe. . . . . . this is unacceptable. . . . flipping number lines around is a tacit admission that you are multiplying by (-1).

Well, if flipping or mirroring a number line results in multiplying by -1 then it's a new revelation to me grin.

At least I showed how to solve that problem without using the x operator cool.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by shilling(f): 12:39pm On Nov 06, 2008
Thnx guys for the advice. You guys are motivating me and I know that it isn't as difficult as I once thought. After all, if others can be math gurus, so can I cos they don't have 2 heads.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Phemzy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 06, 2008
What I have to tell you is that, heaven help those who help themselves, so practice makes perfect, work harder and call on your God for support. I believe with these, you will surely make it.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ibime(m): 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2008
RichyBlacK:

So, singular points on the number lines are not comparable, however, distances between any pair of points are comparable across number lines.

Scalar distances, not vector distances grin grin grin

Even on a 1-D plane, distance must have direction. grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Biioola(f): 11:01pm On Nov 06, 2008
i had aproblem with physics while i was in secondary school because i didnt like my physics teacher.i didnt like him coz he smoked and after that he will leak tomtom n i was so sensitive to that.d best i ever had was a D.i managed to have a C6 in SSCE.In university i wrote it thrice before eventually i was let go.so change ur mind set.i know you can pass it excellenty if only you believe you can .spend more time with it
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:28pm On Nov 06, 2008
Ibime:

Scalar distances, not vector distances  grin grin grin

Even on a 1-D plane, distance must have direction.  grin grin grin

Interesting.  grin

Last time I checked "distance" was a scalar (magnitude only) quantity while "displacement" was a vector (magnitude and direction) quantity. grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Damest09(f): 2:25am On Nov 07, 2008
--
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by kellygirl(f): 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2008
my greatest problem is maths. cry
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by alertsolut: 1:26pm On Nov 07, 2008
hi that is very good question u ask this thing affect alot of people now adays but i will tell u to improove in your amth and practise more and more and if u have not get it go to the people that know it very well and tell them to teach you private ok and even there are some u u can easily get this i have a e-book that also boost my own knowledge which is good for me till now but practise
more info 08072123707
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by carmelily: 2:27pm On Nov 07, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Elegant candor. But I've not heard "jejely" in like forever! grin

@Richy

Hehehe. jejely, jejely, jejely. Hope that takes you through the weekend grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by pnkydbrain(m): 4:58pm On Nov 07, 2008
Hi All,

There have been a lot of meaningfull contributions on this topic. I have some contributions to make,

1) Habit will take further than desire (this is a fact). Ever since I mastered Mathematics I have always been an A-student, a long time ago about 20years ago. Its like the rich get richer.

In my All University Mathematics courses I had 2Bs and all As in Mathematics and Statistic Courses( I read Electrical Engineering)

2) What you don't know you don't know, at best you can only guess. If you read what you don't understand, then what have you gsined.
Ask someone who is wiser and much better than yourself. This holds true for most aspects of life.
I play chess, and from an average player I became a very strong player in a short time(1year), mostly by playing with much stronger opponents.

3) Don't confuse the price with the value. (The price you will pay in becoming good at Maths is nowhere compared to the value you will gain from it over the next 10 years. Example of my life, I have never failed a job aptitude test once it contains Maths. Sometimes I take such tests for fun.

If you need more tips I can give. But you need to be specific.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by sima(f): 7:45am On Nov 10, 2008
i started havin dat kinnda problem wit maths last year but it's because i'm just too lazy to study. . embarassed
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by neowelsh(m): 9:54am On Nov 10, 2008
maths is very easy if you want it to be,  its just like 1+1 we all know it, even when sleeping,
that is how easy it is.

but the problem is this: most of us, see maths as a very difficult subject and as a result
maths now tend to be what they think it is=difficult but its not

the only way u can improve your maths today is to get a junior grade mathematics book let say. JSS 1. study it, do all the exercises, it will help you alot before you know it, you will be one maths guru.
i wish u all the best as you learn maths.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by chiwaochi: 9:26am On Nov 11, 2008
Not just in mathematics alone in everything you do,you need to be determined, focus, deligent and practices constantly to keep you fit on your field in that way you will surely improve.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Oyezee(m): 5:28pm On Nov 11, 2008
The first thing to do is to change any negative perception you've got about mathematics. Then you start working as if afresh. Get the easiest of your maths textbooks and start working on it from page 1. Make sure you are also dealing with practice questions too. I tried it and it worked. Today I can thank God for a nice record in Maths and Further Maths. After that, you can move on to tougher topics and textbooks. Also make sure you talk to Jesus about the whole issue and bingo! you're on your way to being a MATHEMATICS GURU!
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by slimes(m): 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2008
Maths is easy with a well explanatory and good instructor not one with a cane.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by zikirullah(m): 2:49pm On Nov 12, 2008
Thanks for asking such a question, that's what i also wanted to know

what a conincidence , grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by loffers(m): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2008
u dey score 50-60 for maths u dey complain,
wetin u wann score 110, 105 abi wetin

me self wey i study maths for 4yrs in school nah struggle i struggle take grad
i remember 1 particular lecturer in sch then,
despite the fact say nah course rep i be,
the highest grade i had in his course for about 3yrs was c
nobody had an A thru out.

as an econs student and u are scorin 50-60 in maths,
i tink u are okay
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by GENNYANN: 11:08am On Nov 19, 2008
by Gods grace i am very good in mathematics and have been teaching the subject since i left secondary school.so if you are any where close to port harcourt, i might be of help to you. God bless you as you strive to be a better person for we need mathematicians like you in Nigeria today.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by vescucci(m): 2:17pm On Nov 19, 2008
Read more, complain less.

It worked for me
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by sojengine(m): 5:55pm On Nov 20, 2008
smileyHi Shilling too bad i did not read your post earlier than now, Well i can help you,just call-08039565491, and any other nairalander who thinks that maths is difficult cheesy
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by realcele: 1:52pm On Nov 27, 2008
Everything in life is about concept. I will advice you to start from elementary maths, this may sound funny but will elementary maths, secondary schol one and the before you go to the high leve ones, you will get the basic and work you way up. Life is like build blocks once the foundation is not right you need to go down to the root and do some basic then the top will be easier. There are some online resources that can help, like the bbc websites for kids.Best of luck.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by arak4love(m): 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2008
Hello guy all you need do is to devote your time on the aspect you feel you are lacking behind by consulting the good ones.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Magnam(m): 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2008
Maths is the simplest of all the subjects.When people complain of not knowing i used to be confused.I don't believe that anybody who is seriously want to know will find it difficullt.IT IS FEAR ,WHICH IS ENEMY OF HOPE.I advice you to pick primary school maths and read it with an open mind.You will discover that it is as cheap as ABC.secondly,learn your formulae but they change.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by berildan(m): 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2008
I also had the math problem during my latter junior schooldays but after my junior WAEC i asked my sister(who was in art )to teach me the intro of maths in ss1 and then the rest was practice and self given tests tht sometimes did not end well but by the time i got to ss3 i even had a 97 in addiditional math placing me first in one of the most competitive schools in nigeria.this was someone that once had a 30 in ordinary math.my WAEC came out with an A1 and neco C5 in math.everything said still comes down to the same point; inconsistent practiceand determination even if it means denying sleep.Who knows you might just end up a math proffessor, coz once you begin to know math, you become addicted to solving it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lasu Part Time Campus Result Is Out. Good Luck Lasuites / Over 10,000 Candidates Caught Cheating In Anambra- JAMB / Let's See How Clever You Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.