Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

How Do I Improve My Maths? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Improve My Maths? (20439 Views)

My Encounter With My Maths Teacher Today / How Do I Improve On My Maths Skill / How To Improve My Spoken English? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by myrtle: 11:28pm On Oct 30, 2008
Hate Mathematics, Don’t!
Like all subjects, you cannot master Mathematics if you already hate it.

"But I really hate it!" some students may say.

To these students, we ask you, "How many days do you get by without using Mathematics in your lives?"

Each morning when you wake up, you look at your clock or watch to read the time. You probably learn how to read clocks from your Mathematics teacher in Primary 1 or 2.

You reach the bus stop and prepare your bus-fare. During recess time, you go to the canteen and pay for some food items. You probably learn how to count, add and subtract money from your Mathematics teacher in Primary 2 or 3.

Back in class, your teacher asks you to form groups of four to discuss some homework. You probably learn how to count from your Mathematics teacher in kindergarten or Primary 1.

We can go on and on, but you get the point. The point is that Mathematics is part of our life and there is no way you can run away from it. So if you do not like Mathematics, you will suffer.

Hey, the least you can do is learn to accept Mathematics. Like it or not, it is a compulsory subject in primary and secondary schools.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by myrtle: 11:31pm On Oct 30, 2008
Mathematics is not a Dead Subject!
Some students may like Mathematics but have difficulties learning it. The problem may be because these students do not realise that Mathematics is not a dead subject. You cannot learn Mathematics simply by trying to memorise it. You have to understand the basic Mathematics concepts, "see the pattern", and apply them.

For example, if your Mathematics teacher has taught you that 4 + 4 = 8, then you must realise that #4 + #4 = #8, 4 kg + 4 kg = 8 kg, 4 cm + 4 cm = 8 cm, and so on so forth.

But that’s not all. Once you have understood the basic Mathematics concepts, you cannot just sit there and do nothing about it. You have to try Mathematics sums and problems, and as many as possible. Mathematics is a practice subject. The more you practise, the better you will be at it. This is especially true for the more difficult Mathematics topics, such as ratios, percentages and algebra.

Apart from that, you must also always try to solve the same type of Mathematics sums and problems using different approaches. For example, there are many ways to solve 39 + 4. You can either use the "count on" strategy, the "add the ones then add the tens" strategy, the "add 1 to 39 to make 40 and subtract 1 from 4" strategy, and more.

The more approaches you try to solve the same Mathematics sums and problems, the better your Mathematics problem-solving skills will be. The following exceptionally good books will teach you these:
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by dbaptist1(m): 1:20am On Oct 31, 2008
its doesn't end with your practicing it always you have to look for a good tutor who will be able to work with you through your difficult areas in maths,will be patient enough to carry you through and will be able to engender confidence in you that you can make it
then you devote more time to solving simple questions on maths before movign up2 more complex ones and i tell you the sky will be your limit
i am praying for your success
c you at the top
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:40am On Oct 31, 2008
buckweath:

2. Good books are essential. I'll give a short list (for beginner and intermediate-level math; NOT advanced undergraduate or graduate-level math):
i. Pure Mathematics for Advanced Level (1986) [528 pages] by H. Mulholland and B. D. Bunday (Gives a gentle introduction to mathematical rigor; excellent book!)

ii. Additional Pure Mathematics (1980) [356 pages] by  L. Harwood Clarke (The late Harwood Clarke taught mathematics in the finest of English tradition; a gem!)

iii. Engineering Mathematics (2007) [1,200 pages] by  K. A. Stroud and Dexter J. Booth (as mentioned by engineerd) (Written for engineers but, hey, engineers are applied mathematicians, and so are economists! Approaches math with a step-by-step method.)

Those are very good books but I have to add "Intermediate Mathematics" by "Blakey" to that list.

Mathematics is fun if you just let your imagination govern by logic run wild. Maths is not difficult. It's fun. It's like building a house. You cannot start with the roof first. You must build a good foundation, then a good frame, then the roof, then you add as you want to the house. You must have a good foundation to excel in Mathematics.
I did study a lot of Mathematics in my course of study as an Electrical Engineer, but what is lacking in those early years that I picked up later is the History behind the Mathematics.  The study of Fermat last Theorem comes to mind and how it was eventually proved by "Wiles". This is high power mathematics but the concept of Logic and Problem Solving shine forth. If you also consider the study and History behind Complex Number, you will see fascinating stuffs about how letting your imagination run wild, but governed by logic reigns. Look also at the history behind Pi (Ratio of the Circle Circumference to the Diameter). A lot of people, engineers and Mathematician alike, will tell you mathematics; but why, the application is missing.

Then you still need that extra leap of genius to take Mathematics to the next level as Euclid, Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Euler, Godel, Hilbert, Riemann, Gauss, etc did
[color=#770077][/color]

You sound like a true enthusiast!
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by dayfun: 7:19am On Oct 31, 2008
U can improve ur maths by just making sure U practise solving so many questions under different topics all the time. It's simple.
i didn't know Mathematics when I was in JSS class too, but when i got to SSS Class, I dedicated more time to it and Alas!, I am a Maths Genius today.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by dayfun: 7:22am On Oct 31, 2008
U can improve ur maths by just making sure U practise solving so many questions under different topics all the time. It's simple.
i didn't know Mathematics when I was in JSS class too, but when i got to SSS Class, I dedicated more time to it and Alas!, I am a Maths Genius today.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by pnkydbrain(m): 10:08am On Oct 31, 2008
@buckwheat: Nice contirbutions.

I used 'Bunday' from my secondary school days. I still referred to it in my university.
I think Adavanced Engineer Mathematics by Erwin Kreyzig is worth looking at. (It tickles the brain).
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by U1(m): 10:38am On Oct 31, 2008
@ poster

You are not alone on this, we have so much in common. But, I believe with good textbooks and seriousness, it's an issue that can be dealt with.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 31, 2008
@ Ibeme
Couldn't help yourself , could you ? You just had to mouth off grin grin grin point duly noted

The thing is go way back to the very beginning because the problem might have started there.

Wish you luck
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by desertboom(m): 2:31pm On Oct 31, 2008
Maths the foundation matters alot
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by orisebawo(m): 5:04pm On Oct 31, 2008
@ Poster,

I guess you already have an idea of what you need to do to improve your mathematical skilss, mathematics is like a language and there is a tendency to be scared if you do not understand the language, my advise is not to see mathematics as a subject that needs to be passed but as an every day way of life,go thorugh basic mathematics textbooks and understand it in your own way, this will ofcourse involve trying so many questions and adding your own personal touch to it.

I used to be in your shoes or rather in a worse situation than yours, in the first 4 years of my secondary school at FGC, i NEVER passed mathematics and felt pythagoras theorem was the meanest formular in the world but then when my dad realised i was no good and moved me to a day school in Lagos to start in Class 3 when my mates in FGC where in Class 5, I made up my mind to catch up with my mates and make up for lost ground as i was ashamed of myself. I started to see mathematics in a new light as i wasn't under pressure to pass as my dad had already told me to keep my report cards to myself and i could read almost leisurely, to cut the long story short mathematics became my best subject and my first degree is in mathematics and statistics. The secret is to solve atleast one question a day and before you know it becomes part of you and move with friends who enjoy showing off their maths skills. This was how i overcame the fear of maths and it might not work for everyone but once you remove the element of fear you can do anything. When i saw you post it brought back memories at least you are lucky to get 60%, some of us were getting 33% then (over 20 yrs ago), this is the jet age if you are not sure about the way a textbook has explained or solved a problem go to google scholar and i am sure you will find alternative ways of approaching it.

Mathematics is a skill that will forever be useful to you. I wish you goodluck
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ezeamama(m): 5:27pm On Oct 31, 2008
first u have to like the subject cuz true effort can only be made when u know it's worth it
throw in some really good textbooks and some lecture materials, then petition God

Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Don1DeMaco: 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2008
hOW DO I IMPROVE MY MATHS
qUESTION

aNSWER:
1. START SELLING MARKET I.E TRADING BELIEVE ME UR MATHS WILL IMPROVE LIKE NOW. MY GRANDMA DIDNT GO TO SCHOOL BUT U CANT CHEAT HER WHEN IT COMES TO CALCULATION ESP MONEY.

2. PRACTICE LIKE EVERYBODY HAS SAID.

3. CHEATING/ GIRAFFING IS ANOTHER OPTION BUT DAT WILL ONLY IMPROVE UR MATHS SCORES NOT UR MATHS.

SO IF U ARE INTERESTED I COULD GET U A PLACE TO WORK/ TRADE COS MY GRANDMA IS PRETTY OLD NOW AND SHE NEEDS SOMEONE TO WORK FOR HER, SHE COULD TRAIN U AT LEAST FROM THE BASICS LIKE KNOWING UR SUMS U KNOW ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION FOR STARTERS THEN WE CAN TAKE THE REST FROM THERE WHEN U ARE FULLY CONFIDENT WITH THAT ASPECT.

HOPE I'VE HELPED SOLVE UR PROBLEM.
sOLUTION?
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:35pm On Oct 31, 2008
Ibime:
Point of correction: There are only two operations in Algebra: Addition and Multiplication.

Subtraction is simply the addition of a negative number whilst Division is simply the multiplication of a reciprocal.

Can't help myself.  Cool

@Ibime,

There is only one operation: Addition.

Multiplication is merely a series of additions!

Enjoying myself grin.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by tesyes: 11:07pm On Oct 31, 2008
I think you need to sustain your goals in every thing you do as long as those goals are sustained in you, you imbibe the value of hard work, in other words you must find out what your weaknesses are in the subject, try to find to find out why you hate the subject, in most cases it my be the fault of the teacher or lecturer, once a student hates his or her teacher the subject is definitely condemned. so my dear try not to run away from maths, see it as your younger brother or a baby you want to deal with and may God help you. One more thing practice makes perfect
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by ifeoga(m): 8:37am On Nov 01, 2008
I AM NOT ACTUALLY A GENIUS BUT I'M GOOD AT IT. TRY THIS TIPS OUT.

1) first you must confess you love for the subject even if you truly do not.
2) you must believe it is not hard.
3) you must believe that if others can be good at it you definitely can.
4) you must like anybody that teaches you the subject.
5) you must devote more time to it.
6) you must not leave any question unsolved.
7) you must be bold to seek held from those that know more than you do.
cool you must also be ready to share the once you know with those who do not.
9) you must study extensively (compare text books)
10) you have to talk maths, think maths and discuse it.
11) you have to form maths study groups.
12) access yourself of your progress.
13) note first your improvement and then your failures
14) device new strategies to tackle your failures(you can seek advice)

wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink GOODLUCK TO YOUR EFFORTS
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ Richyblack

Thanks for the repartee , couldn't have come at a better time
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by maryray(f): 12:19pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ Whiterose, ur face is so fricken familiar, i'm wondering if i've met u somewhere. R u a Niger Deltan?
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Ibime(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2008
RichyBlacK:

@Ibime,

There is only one operation: Addition.

Multiplication is merely a series of additions!

Enjoying myself grin.

Please allow me to disprove using induction.  grin grin grin

You are only considering Real Positive numbers.

For example, prove that -3 x -4 = 12 using series of additions.

Ehe. . . . .did you stutter. . . . .

grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by lectureme(m): 5:59pm On Nov 01, 2008
GET EASY WITH MATHS

hay, there is true students think that maths is hardest subjectat all
BUT I SAY IT'S DE easiest, 'why' b/cos it's subject you can get ride ofr how,

when i was in school i got the same problem till i met a maths teacher, who gave me all de secret of maths which really sent me out from school with B3 to my waec result you can still ve the secret if you wish to by quickly senting your mail address to 2347030863080 to recieve an instant message that culd really turn you to a maths masscre.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by TOYOSI20(f): 7:12pm On Nov 01, 2008
Practice solving Math problems as much as u can. . . . . .at least everyday. . , . . .
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by sojapikin(f): 8:18am On Nov 03, 2008
hello,

i know what your plight is as regards mathematics as a subject. its really easy as others must have told you. i have another suggestion however, that is if you will like to apply it. From the comfort of your home, you can become the best by watching practical demonstrations of these vearious maths topics that had proved difficult to you in the past.

to get these volumns ( 1 - 10 ) pls call 08060090050
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by seun1978: 11:18am On Nov 03, 2008
interesting, about some years ago, i had same problem. what i did then was that i cast away fear and strongly believe that i can be the best. in attempt to achieve my goal i made sure that i attend class always and do a lot of practices and moreso i move closer to colleagues that knows more than i do and still learn more from them and soon after i started this way i make it. infact other colleagues then now see me as a guru i even stand to compete with those i spy to knw from. i think i was the secretary of maths club in those days.

i essence, to know something requires strong determination , perserverance and not to undermine colleagues who knows better than u do . today i am graduate of bus admin even in my university days i still learn from colleagues i considered to know more than i do.

try this principle and with God by your side u will make it.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by sleekymag(m): 3:55pm On Nov 03, 2008
Mathematics can be very simple, yet it can be very tricky and tough (complicated math problems etc.). Though you can very much improve in your math grades, there'll always be two types of mathematicians;
1. The hardlearner mathematician
2. The hardlover mathematician

To be a hardlearner mathematician,
a) you have to increase your interest in the subject.
b) you have to attend math lectures @ all times
c) you have to ask questions when you don't fully understand
d) you have to know the formulae of given problems by heart "learn to memorise formulae"
e) you have to solve math problems on your own, then meet others to help you whenever you're stuck
f) you have to be eager to solve past questions, and work to time yourself "its not only accuracy but also speed"
g) you have to go for extra lessons in topics you need to brush yourself with
h) you have to task yourself, go the extra mile, and read ahead of topics not yet treated in class.
i) always be prayerful and ask for God's favour, his knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.

To be a hardlover mathematician,
a) you have to love maths with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your might.
b) you have to be enthusiastic when faced with math problems
c) you have to know all relevant formulae by heart
d) you dont always have to solve questions based on basic steps or previous examples, "always think outside the box"
e) you need to always read between the lines and understand specifically what the questions is asking you to do. Word problems can be confusing wih this.
f) you need to be able to interrelate formulae with each other, you need to be able to work from the known to the unknown systematically but logically
g) you need to study ahead of time, solve hard and complex problems, and even go beyond the scope of the course
h) you need to be able to study past questions and solve questions using more than one method. Practice to time yourself, so you not only get the correct answers, but you also finish ahead of time.
i) whenever you finish, always go through your work carefully rather than submitting hastily, people always make little mistakes that costs much.
j)above all always be prayerful to God, cos he's the giver of knowledge, wisdom and understanding.
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by hisolution(m): 6:14pm On Nov 03, 2008
My own advice is dat you should get a GOOD private teacher for maths.He will teach u every aspect of mathematics as i did in my own time and it helped me a lot.In fact people were surprised about my improvement.You also need hardwork and personal workings and practice.Good luck
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by sojapikin(f): 12:16am On Nov 04, 2008
hello,

The solution to your problem here and now is getting practical teaching / lectures in the comfort of your home , whenever convinent for you. they come in CD's volumns 1 - 10 of various mathematical topics.

I think you should try and see this as you also put into practice the wonderful advice you have been given here in the house.

should you be interested, pls call 08060070050

Wish you all the best
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:34am On Nov 04, 2008
Ibime:

Please allow me to disprove using induction.  grin grin grin

You are only considering Real Positive numbers.

For example, prove that -3 x -4 = 12 using series of additions.

Ehe. . . . .did you stutter. . . . .

grin grin grin

Number line representations: 

(1) -5^^-4^^-3^^-2^^-1^^0^^1^^2^^3^^4^^5

(2)        5^^4^^3^^2^^1^^0^^-1^^-2^^-3^^-4^^-5

Number lines 1 and 2 are isometric representations of each other (flipping 1 about its zero number gives 2). So, singular points on the number lines are not comparable, however, distances between any pair of points are comparable across number lines.

From the above isometric number lines, -3 x -4 is equal to 3 x 4 = 3 + 3 + 3 + = 12  men, you're wicked o grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by carmelily: 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2008
Anything beyond 1 + 1 = 2 is Further/Additional Maths for me angry angry angry

That's why i always stuck to English and Literature jejely grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by slyk2(m): 2:56pm On Nov 04, 2008
concentrate!

play some mathimatical games and puzzles
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by v3: 4:22pm On Nov 04, 2008
I would confess to you that up till this day, I still suck at maths, though i have a degree in com/science and work as a communications engineer, I feel so weird at times when called upon to solve some questions relating to calculations, but as they say"there's no shame in admitting you don't know", I use the "I don't know" technique and its worked several times for me,

There was this time i came home from school with a bad maths score, and my dad just threw himself at me and charged all night like a bull, my mom EVEN suggested i prayed for retentive memory, LMAO!!!, I have a good record with other subjects but when it comes to maths, i shudder y'all,

I think the problem lies from the grassroots, when the 1+1 factor doesnt sink in properly, it becomes a problem later for that person,

Cheers

flipdown4@yahoo.com
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:55pm On Nov 04, 2008
carmelily:

Anything beyond 1 + 1 = 2 is Further/Additional Maths for me angry angry angry

That's why i always stuck to English and Literature jejely  grin grin grin

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do I Improve My Maths? by Phemmmy(m): 5:54am On Nov 05, 2008
Do you have a computer?Buy a software or mathematics dvd tutorial.Explore,They are in the market

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lasu Part Time Campus Result Is Out. Good Luck Lasuites / Over 10,000 Candidates Caught Cheating In Anambra- JAMB / Let's See How Clever You Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.