Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,167 members, 7,821,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory (3221 Views)

Chief Don Etiebet Visits Buhari / Akpabio, Etiebet Trade Blames Over Jonathan’s Election Loss / Zahra Buhari Leaves Twitter In Shame Or Anger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by dearie(m): 12:08am On Jul 27, 2006
Is it true that the former Petroleum Minister, Don Etiebet has not only cross-carpeted to the money-bagged-PDP, but has also indicated his interest in running for the his state's Gubernatorial sit. Hmmm,

I think the man has surely advertised his lack of direction and focus. For a highly placed elderstateman whom he ought to be, to stoop lowly after having a shot at the presidency to think of running for a post he ought to be mentoring the contestants on, I think it's a shame.

What is wrong with our leaders, I think this attitude would fiurther intensify the tension in the state.

I dont have anything against him, but i just have to state my mind. Do u agree with me? or you think it's glorious?
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by my2cents(m): 3:58am On Jul 27, 2006
LOL dearie,

Wanna hear something totally funny and out of this world? There are at least 20 pple running for governor under PDP in Akwa Ibom state for next year. what's more? Most are fronted by one of the 3 brothers of the Etiebet clan, one being a nephew of theirs shocked shocked

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. When he was minister, he personally prevented the FG from establishing a refinery in Akwa Ibom state and now he wants to be governor. We go c sha.

Na ya wa go bust for that state o!
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by buchio7(m): 8:57am On Jul 27, 2006
dats to shw u d true nature of politics in nigeria where party affiliation is nt about idealogy or concrete manifesto but based on where can i achieve my selfish aim of "chopping" money d fastest. he is a political prostitute like so many of his ilk n bear u in mind dat no mata hw many ppl him n his brodas prop up,d person dat will be govnor must be annointed by attah.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by my2cents(m): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2006
buchio7,

y must the person b "annointed by attah"? whatever happened to the will of the pple? Y bother voting at all then, if a group of kingmakers end up appointing someone to power?

Na wetin dey wrong with our politics b dat unfortunately. Anie mbom tu tu embarassed
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by buchio7(m): 4:13pm On Jul 27, 2006
my broda i too dont like the politics one bit but it is d fact of d mata. d incumbent is a major decider on who gets what when he leaves office in nigerian politics. Attah is d current govnor n i believe dat it will still be d same story when he leaves.
in 2004 ending i heard he was propping up his son in law who happens to be d commissioner of works to be d next govnor since d young man comes from a d/f senatorial district dat is seeking d govnorship seat in 2007. dat was one of d issues why he fell out wit his deputy govnor then(i.e. ekpenyong)

u can even c d trend in lagos wit tinubu. unofficially afikuyomi is d choice for govnor by tinubu dat is y staunch a.d. supporters like obanikoro have to leave a.d. to pdp bringing further confusion for pdp in lagos. mind u i believe d death of funsho williams is a ploy by someone to wipe away d most powerful contender under pdp for alausa.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by my2cents(m): 4:25pm On Jul 27, 2006
As far as AKS goes, I hear it is Godswill Akpabio whom Attah has annointed. In fact, I was just commissioned to do a website for them: www.akpfonline.com . Note their motto wink

Problem is that there are so many factions in that one party. We go c sha. Personally, man no go enter dat country until at least 6 months after a *successful* election grin
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by buchio7(m): 4:32pm On Jul 27, 2006
bros no run, com c ur ppl 4 naija. grin
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by dearie(m): 7:47am On Jul 29, 2006
@ my2cents,

When u run today, u will only succeed in aiding their 'unholy' acts. You will have to fight and face the issue frontally, there shl be no punctuations about that!
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by Revolution: 8:25am On Jul 29, 2006
I don't see anything wrong with a man who ran for president now running for governor, in fact I think it is commendable, if true, and a sign of humility.

The problem with the presidential style of government is that it creates overly powerful offices/officials (and egos) such that they can no longer serve in a lower offices when they leave. In the parliamentary style of govenment several Prime Ministers (or party leaders) go on to sever as Ministers (or shadow ministers) in subsequent governments (or the opposition). As powerful a nation as Israel is Benjamin Netenyahu served as a Minister as he had been prime minister for several years. This is a good thing because you don't loose the contributions of good and young political brains as soon as they leave high office. In the UK Willian Haque ran for Prime Minister but is no a shadow Minster. In the presidential system he would have been forced to retire at such a young age. What a waste.

We need to improve the calibre of people who serve a Governors in Nigeria. Everyone want to be president or senator often leaving the inferior or less capable people at the state level, is it any suprise that nearly all the governors are said to be corrupt? Nigeria would develop a lot quicker if some of the good brains in politics run for Governor instead of President, see what Donald Duke has doen in CRS.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by otokx(m): 9:33am On Jul 29, 2006
its a political maneuvre that could never succeed if elections in Nigeria were free and fair
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by DeepSoul(f): 5:41pm On Jul 29, 2006
If elections were free and fair in Nigeria. If. But we all know since it isn't so, anything can happen.

Etiebet might not be Attah's "chosen one" but he might be Obj's.

Remember, he left the PDP for ANPP (after being deafeated at the primaries) where he became National Chairman and now, he's back to PDP. This trend suggests he's either confused and lacks character or that he might have been an "insider" on behalf of the PDP during his stay in ANPP. Afterall, it was under his "chairmanship" that the ANPP suffered so much internal wahala.

Methinks it's shameful that he wants to become governor. He only fuels the suspicion that he was sent by the PDP to distabilize the ANPP and his reward is becoming governor.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by dearie(m): 1:08am On Jul 30, 2006
@ Revolution,

Shl i remind you that this is nigeria? and u know how things run in this country.
Moreso, I would have to 'bite my tongue to keep from asking you if you have any information on the antecedent of the person in question'

Pls! Whoever made this calculation for him ought to be returned to secondary school.

the only face-saving thing he can do is to bow out gracefully from politics and become a neutral person so that his next generation will not be smeared with the stains of this disgraceful act.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by Revolution: 8:48am On Jul 30, 2006
It is the principal (of serving your nation at whatever level nescessary) I support not the man Etibet.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by my2cents(m): 4:36am On Jul 31, 2006
dearie:

In the first place, I was not born in Nigeria and refuse (for reasons I will not state here but on another thread if need be wink) to get dual-citizenship. So whether I am there or not really will have no bearing on who is president. My visiting there is solely out of love for a place I spent 13 years in grin

When I say I will not visit there until after 2007, I think it's legit. I have a family now. When last I decided to support a fellow-Nigerian (World Airways), I ended up having to drop $2000 on a one-way ticket back to the states, because I had to get back to work. I don't want to go through what others have gone through in Lebanon, that is, assuming whitey is willing to be as fast to help blacks (letz be realistic, check out what happened during Hurrican Katrina tongue) as they will fellow whiteys.

So again, my reason for not wanting to come there b4 2007 elections is valid, in my opinion. I will personally choose 6 months of no light/water over political instability. I was there during the Buhari/IBB/Shonekan/Abacha days, and so I know what's up grin
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 10:20pm On Jul 31, 2006
Don Etiebiet is the joker of all times.This is the same man who when he was Petroleum minister under the Abacha regime,stopped Abacha from opening a refinery in the state(or was it rig,I was quite young then but I used to enjoy looking through papers).He was the vice presidential flag bearer for ANPP until recently,he now has heard the divine "call from God" to come and serve his "people" and so has crossed over to PDP.This is indeed,laughable because he will not only lose but lose woefully.Even his family members will not vote him.See the case where his nephew is also contesting for the same governorship of Akwa Ibom state.I would advice Don Etiebiet to retire from partisan politics and rest,instead of soiling his already soiled hands in the murky waters of politics.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by my2cents(m): 11:17am On Aug 01, 2006
snazzydawn,

it is posts like this one that make me wonder if, as that famous bus line in naija has as it's business name, "grin young shall grow" embarassed

In my opinion, the sooner these perennial politicians, who keep on redeclaring their age, leave office for the "young ones", the sooner naija may b a better place.

Right now, all they are doing is setting a bad example to the youth of today. Very, very sad, if u ask me.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2006
Yes its really pathetic.Actually,it is like the whole country is crying out for a breathe of fresh air a la young dynamic politicians.It is high time these old bags gave the young ones the chance to rule.The whole thing is just sickening.All they come to do is to "come chop".It is the same vicious cycle and there seems to be no way out.It is my prayer for a time when all these recycled old men will go to their homes and rest,and watch the young ones turn the country around.They are the ones corrupting the system.The system is so corrupt that it is unimaginable.It makes my blood boil when I hear of all the lootings going on by supposedly responsible men.Only God will have mercy on us.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by buchio7(m): 10:58pm On Aug 01, 2006
such ppl will still be around for a while unless a miracle occurs n dey r abachad, political parties in nigeria lack ideaology dat is why u see political prostitutes like etiebet all over d landscape.
yes we need a young president but d horde of vampires holding on to power would be a road block to such plans
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 11:12pm On Aug 01, 2006
Thing is,because of the dirty nature of our politics,the people who can make the positive difference shy away from responsibilities to avoid being soiled.The few who venture in are killed,see how Funsho Williams ended up.It is really pathetic.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by buchio7(m): 10:23am On Aug 02, 2006
yep, dere r so many qualified ppl who can lead nigeria out of d quagmire we r in right now but who r relunctant to venture into politics because of d "no holds barred" nature . dese days d first thing some politicians do b4 entering politics is to send dere family abroad 4 safekeeping e.g. funsho williams,ngige
it is a pathetic situation but as for ppl like etiebet,dey r not election winners so it is impossible dat pdp in akwa ibom will field dem due to dere lack of grassroot support.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by Ndipe(m): 2:55am On Aug 16, 2006
Come-o, is Idongesit Nkanga contesting again? What of Ime Umanah? How many people are running for Akwa Ibom gubernatorial primaries? It would be interesting to see who would be our next governor.

Akwa Ibom isong-o. My 2cents, da nki kaha convention aba.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 7:49pm On Aug 16, 2006
The next governor will be "ME"

ukukagha convention? omo sure?
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by owo(m): 8:19am On Aug 17, 2006
@ndipe, ama miss nkpo ke convention . ebo ke ama anem

@my2cents , nke bagha ke action 4 sometime. nya dong IM uno fien.

@snazzy, nnyin iyau adopt fien usop-usop. akit die?

All: the struggle to govern Akwa Ibom at this time should be seen fromt eh perspective of the amount of money that is available for squandering.

Never in Ibom history has it been more necessary to ensure that the best, and nothing but the best gets to hilltop mansion.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2006
Eyen eka mmi,e ma en adopt tongo ikeed,ami ndo eyin isong
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by Ndipe(m): 3:01am On Aug 18, 2006
Da Owo, I scoured for accomodation at the Hilton hotels (where the convention was hosted), but all the suites were booked, so I withdrew my plans at the last minute. Yeah, I am sure that it must have been an exciting event.
Da, afo aba ke Ibadan or ke USA?

my2cents, da akpene-o, ubaha ke IM aba?
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by owo(m): 9:11am On Aug 18, 2006
@ndipe: brother, kpong ibadan ado.
itie ate mba awawak. mba ke "Asia"(the continent) idaha ado.

Keep the flag flying.

@snazzy: that is great, mum itie isong nfo kama. Idem ete nfo ye ufok-abasi aba die?
cheers

lest we forget, do your utmost in what ever capacity you find yourself, to thwart the efforts of those seeking to get to the hilltop for the sole purpose of looting the treasury. Abasi do ye nnyin.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by snazzydawn(f): 9:51pm On Aug 18, 2006
owo,it seems you know me from somewhere.,.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by owo(m): 6:26pm On Aug 19, 2006
snazzy: yea, just a bit more than you can imagine,
small world it is. However, I trust that they are fine and all is well.
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by cabali(m): 7:44pm On Aug 22, 2006
Pls do not attack Etiebet; U need to understand the psyche of nigerian politics. it is not about levels, it is about where the cash is at!

he has seen he can recover easily by being governor, cos he cant make president ever!

Am sure if there is money in a position even the dumb attah will run for counsellor!
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by Ndipe(m): 3:07am On Aug 23, 2006
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by cabali(m): 8:01pm On Oct 28, 2006
and I hear etiebet will run for local government chairman if this doesnt work out!
Re: Don Etiebet's Guber Interest- A Shame Or Glory by omofineboy(m): 12:45pm On Oct 30, 2006
Don Etiebet is a disgrace, he left PDP to destroy ANPP after that he came back to PDP, hes really a shame and a disappointment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Is A Failure / The Downfall Of Northern Supremacy / Aba Dirtiest And Most Stinking Town In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.