Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,215 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? (2629 Views)

Using Condom In Marriage:good Or Bad? / OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? / Is Playing Hard To Get Good Or Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 11, 2015
coogar:

it does....
kids are ready to sleep on their beds whether made or unmade. it's not a benefit to them if it's made. what gets rewarded gets done!

anytime i visit my nephews, their parents marvel at the way their kids listen to me 100% of the time. i simply reward their good behaviour. something their parents consider spoiling

kids aren't stüpid.
they are very wise. the moment you attach a reward to their task, you suddenly see activities - who no like better thing? grin even the youngest of them is flexing his muscle he wants to participate too.

without the reward, you find out that you have to physically drag them to do it. they might do it but it's half-hearted. most often; you have to go back and complete it yourself.

tell us why workers get bonus pay after collecting their salary. is it not to reward their good jobs? investment bankers get more bonus than their normal salaries - why is that happening?

i have weighed the 2 options. i don't even have to remind them when there's a reward. when there's no reward....they will moan & moan and offer all sorts of excuses to drag themselves to do it. who has such time to be chasing kids around?

the chores before the games.
i always tell them - business before pleasure. do house chores, school homework then you can play video games as much as you want. the more impressed i am with their work, the more reward they get.

trust me, it works like magic!

If it works for you and they turn out to be good kids, then it's all good.
After all, it's the art of parenting.
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by coogar: 11:08am On Feb 11, 2015
Joavid:

If it works for you and they turn out to be good kids, then it's all good.
After all, it's the art of parenting.

it works perfectly....
however, i understand it may not work for every kid.

LordReed:

Okay I am sure you've imagined having to live with kids 24-7 365 and the scenario is like this
Coogar: pick up your toys and put them away.
Coogar jr: how much are you gonna give me Dad?

how's this a task?
their toys stay in their room.

Coogar: fold your clothes and put them away.
Coogaress jr: going rate is 10p per dress dad

going rate? kids? grin cheesy
you are using adult sense to look at this lens. i don't even think any of them has ever asked for money before doing a task. they just don't want to do it until i throw in a fantastic reward at it.

Really? You'd do this day in day out?
Do you believe such kids will be able to function properly in the real world were nobody gives are damn if you get your personal tasks done or not?

they will function perfectly in the real world. they have learnt responsibility since infanthood. with time, they would grow to know that getting personal tasks done is parts & parcel of life. when they were kids, they don't understand why so so task should be done..

And what of when they are out of your reach/sight? What motivation will they have for continued good behaviour without dad there to give them some £?

in what circumstance would my kids be out of my reach/sight?
Re: Bribing Kids... Good Or Bad? by LordReed(m): 3:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
coogar:

how's this a task?
their toys stay in their room.

Obviously you have not seen kids play and scatter their toys around. To now get them to pick up and rearrange them will require you to reward them as well?

going rate? kids? grin cheesy
you are using adult sense to look at this lens. i don't even think any of them has ever asked for money before doing a task. they just don't want to do it until i throw in a fantastic reward at it.

What I am asking so what happens when your kid latches on that to start to "extort" you like the OP?

they will function perfectly in the real world. they have learnt responsibility since infanthood. with time, they would grow to know that getting personal tasks done is parts & parcel of life. when they were kids, they don't understand why so so task should be done..

What you are teaching them is that the only tasks worth doing are those with some sort of reward. Your nephews are getting that sense from you in a way and will be even more reluctant to do as their parents ask.

in what circumstance would my kids be out of my reach/sight?

School, their friend's house, etc

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Baby Is Always Crying. Should I Ignore Her. / Moji Obasanjo Delivers Baby Boy For New Husband / When Husbands Dont Wear Their Wedding Bands/rings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.