Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. (20285 Views)

Buy Any Dog Breed In Abuja[rott,cauc,gsd,boerbol,etc...from A Reg Veterinary Doc / Nigeria Veterinary Medicine In Perspective / Is Veterinary Medicine Lucrative In Nigeria? Advice Needed From Vets Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 11, 2014
Some courses should be cancelled in Nigerian universities, because they just produce graduates that have little or no place in the Nigerian society. Not everybody is capable of relocating abroad. Courses like vet medicine, Anatomy, physiology; should be erased from our universities.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
Godspearl: grin.

Are u a vet doctor or still an undergraduate?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Godspearl(f): 12:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dapo777:

Are u a vet doctor or still an undergraduate?
DVM Ibadan 2012

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
Godspearl: DVM Ibadan 2012

Ok I heard they used to emphasize it to you guys doing dvm to look for other things to do like ICT, any skills that can bring little money and not just rely on your dvm only,I also heard u guys are told not to expect employment after graduation.
How true is that?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Spidermon: 1:13pm On Sep 11, 2014
holard07:

Yes o, integrity lives on.

UI people. I hail oooo

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by mikron(m): 1:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
@OP u re absolutely right, though im of the school of thought that believes no knowledge is a waste or rather u can work anywhere in nigeria provided u re a graduate but truth be told there are limitations in our country, while studying at ABU Zaria, a brother of mine that was studying Vet Med in the same sch opt out and registered for micro-biology in the 2nd year, when i asked him why he said he does not have a future with VET MED after graduation.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by stagger: 1:27pm On Sep 11, 2014
I disagree with the OP.

I have two friends who are vet doctors. One of them owns a mighty poultry farm, and does consultancy services to various large farm owners. I have also seen a vet doctor here in Abuja who is into big time dog breeding. Another one I know consults for large fish farm owners and has a large fish farm himself.

I am also aware that vets can work in research institutes. With all these animal diseases like bird flu and the rest of them, is it not possible for a vet to go into research with research grants and come up with a vaccine? There was a time when Rinderpest wreaked havoc in Africa in the 1980s and 1990s, killing millions of cows across Africa. I was reading online the other day out of curiosity and discovered that in the years I first heard about Rinderpest in an NTA documentary in 1984, a vaccine was developed and today the disease has been declared eradicated!

Nigerian Vet doctors should open their minds up to possibilities. Today we hear Ebola came from fruit bats and that it crosses to monkeys, apes, bushmeat and then humans. Is there no role for vets to come into a stage of the research to develop treatments or vaccines?

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Godspearl(f): 1:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dapo777:

Ok I heard they used to emphasize it to you guys doing dvm to look for other things to do like ICT, any skills that can bring little money and not just rely on your dvm only,I also heard u guys are told not to expect employment after graduation.
How true is that?
Not true. If u think ICT is ur line why do u have to waste 6yrs to study Vet, also having other skill is good but not to make little money but big money cool
How will you not expect employment after graduation? I'm employed now and I do other tinz too.And even if there is high rate of unemployment in Nigeria there are so many business u can start with ur MSS savings.
And if Nigeria no pay u,look for greener pasture in countries where vets are appreciated jare.
NOTE: Don't Jump into Vet Medicine because u are desperate for admission.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
Godspearl: Not true. If u think ICT is ur line why do u have to waste 6yrs to study Vet, also having other skill is good but not to make little money but big money cool
How will you not expect employment after graduation? I'm employed now and I do other tinz too.And even if there is high rate of unemployment in Nigeria there are so many business u can start with ur MSS savings.
And if Nigeria no pay u,look for greener pasture in countries where vets are appreciated jare.
NOTE: Don't Jump into Vet Medicine because u are desperate for admission.

I am not a vet doc But someone seeking admission, What is mss savings? And in What institution are you employed?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Godspearl(f): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dapo777:

I am not a vet doc But someone seeking admission, What is mss savings? And in What institution are you employed?
Medical Salary Scale depending on the state u serve(NYSC)
I work @ Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2014
Godspearl: Medical Salary Scale depending on the state u serve(NYSC)
I work @ Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service.

Thanks for the info.
I like animals and I have always liked them But That's not the only thing to consider When picking a course, would you advice me to go for vet Med? Can you say you are 100% happy and satisfied that you studied vet Med?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
haemi: Some courses should be cancelled in Nigerian universities, because they just produce graduates that have little or no place in the Nigerian society. Not everybody is capable of relocating abroad. Courses like vet medicine, Anatomy, physiology; should be erased from our universities.

Thank God you are not our education minister!

The Anatomist ...the anatomy graduate....in addition to helping train medical and vet doctors,also helps in things like postmortem,as well as conducting research in determining how our human body works.....research that is of vital importance to your health. Ditto the Human physiologist.

As for the Vet....unless you want an avalanche of unhealthy meat in our markets.....you better leave that vet alone. Also,when there is an outbreak of epidemic animal diseases.....like birdflu (forgotten about that already?)....it is the vet who diagnoses the disease,and gives advice on what to do next....and what treatment to follow. The vet is important in controlling animal diseases...because some of those diseases....like rabies...can spread to humans.

Better leave the vet, the physiologist and the anatomist alone. They are VIP.....VIP'S!(I am not a vet BTW...but I knows some personally).

3 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
barsharl: Space booked.... Lemee now go read this article. Less I forget, Morning to you all
So ur one of those that use one dot or a single word to book space down here abi.grin... I see u o.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Capableben(m): 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2014
zeelo2014: Its pathetic. I hereby declare it as the worst course to study after reading this write-up. On a serious note, my bro studied it till his 2nd year, then switched to engineering through Jamb, started afresh. vet profession won't get him to quater of where he is today. Advise to the jambites and freshers, pls whatever u can do try ur posdible best to study a marketable course in NIGERIA, it's not a guarantee but it gives u a better chance.

U mean your bro did that Hmmm, I am trying to change to med surgery from chemical Engr tru jamb cos I heard engineers can go unemployed too... pls tell me, which school is your bro and wat Engr did he change to
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by guseman(m): 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
I was almost a victim. I applied for VM at UI, my first jamb. I didn't go to check if my name is out that was in 2001. I bless God now though I later study a social sciences course.. Geography
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Thank God you are not our education minister!

The Anatomist ...the anatomy graduate....in addition to helping train medical and vet doctors,also helps in things like postmortem,as well as conducting research in determining how our human body works.....research that is of vital importance to your health. Ditto the Human physiologist.

As for the Vet....unless you want an avalanche of unhealthy meat in our markets.....you better leave that vet alone. Also,when there is an outbreak of epidemic animal diseases.....like birdflu (forgotten about that already?)....it is the vet who diagnoses the disease,and gives advice on what to do next....and what treatment to follow. The vet is important in controlling animal diseases...because some of those diseases....like rabies...can spread to humans.

Better leave the vet, the physiologist and the anatomist alone. They are VIP.....VIP'S!(I am not a vet BTW...but I knows some personally).
I agree with what you said about anatomy, physiology, and vet graduates because you are right; the problem is that most medical schools will first consider a medical doctor as their lecturer before accepting a paramedical major. When it comes to research, how many research institutes do we have in the country? How much is set aside by the government for pure medical and paramedical research? Paramedical majors are limited to research and lecturing, which gives them very minute chances in Nigerian labour market, especially when other licensed medical professionals have taken over the scenes. Even at the postmortem phase, if a medical doctor is not in the picture, then the anatomist's work is not accepted. Moreover, most hospitals or schools with mortuaries prefer employing cheaper labour for the work done, and not an anatomist that will want to prove that he's also a graduate like the medical doctor in charge. For vet doctors, if enough standard vet and research institutes are made available for them, as well as enough funding, maybe I'll be forced to withdraw my statement.
I could still be the minister of education someday...
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by santos247(m): 4:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
Certain questions should come to mind in analysing while certain professions are not making it in Nigeria.

How many VET doctors does the NIgerian industry require and how many are we currently producing?? Nigeria has the ff schools offering VEt: UI, UNN,ABU,FUNNAB, UNIMAID, MAKURDI, UMUDIKE etc. Compare with south Africa that has only One veterinary school.University of Pretoria. More people raise pets-Dogs, Cats and Horses in south Africa than Nigeria. We are over producing VET doctors. We must conrol intake, reduce the number of graduates drastically so that the law of demand and supply can favour them

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Litmus: 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
Didnt read the article but i have the feeling it has something do with Veterinary doctors not doing well in Nigeria - perhaps with the caveat that Nigerians are cruel to animals or eat everything that moves, consequentially the Nation could be viewed, overall, as having not attained a level of development conversant with encouraging the profession of veterinary medicine.

If so, the writer would be wrong, Vets do well in Nigeria. They do well not only in the way that some have expressed i.e animal husbandry but also as doctors for family pets. I remember as a child in backward Warri, compered to Lagos, even then, the local vet was kept busy and in demand by middle class people like us with our pathetically soft European dogs, and kept busy by expatriates and other Nigerians in all walks of life who could afford to exorbitant cost for their animals care.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by iiiyyyk(m): 4:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
my brother, its really a pathetic situation. Nigeria might not change in this our generation, but we need to change our individual circumstances.

pls pack ur bag enter Europe or America by all means , get licence, in 10yrs time, you will a proud vet Dr.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
My friend studied vet medicine in UI and for four years, he could not get a job until he gathered money and travelled to Canada last month to start a masters in public health
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Samgreguc(m): 5:22pm On Sep 11, 2014
holard07: Am a vet, things are not as bad as painted by this article, mind u this article as been on since 2007...am a proud veterinarian and am the fourth vet in my family and my younger brother ll be the fifth.
My advice, learn the secret that works, and stop being lazy, think and act wen you can.
are u a Northerner?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Godspearl(f): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
Dapo777:

Thanks for the info.
I like animals and I have always liked them But That's not the only thing to consider When picking a course, would you advice me to go for vet Med? Can you say you are 100% happy and satisfied that you studied vet Med?
I'm satisfied.Just pick ur niche(favourite department) when u get to vet school. follow ur passion my dear and u will surely excel
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Samgreguc(m): 5:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mbediogu: Employment and job creation is a live issue world over. Vet medicine is a core profession. To me, apart from nursing it is the nearest to human medicine - even more than pharmacy. I remember a few years ago in Min of Health Imo State when a Vet doctor displaced a pharmacist to become perm sec.
In as much I will like to let u knw that Pharmacy proffession was designed to be Pharmacy and not allied medical[i.e Pharmacy is Pharmacy(drug experts) and not any form of "med surg-close-related,"] It is also paramount I let u knw that Med surg can be Pharm related and vice versa as the case may be.
Or beter still when you are sick and u find no Physician prefer the vet doctor to the Pharmacist.

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Mbediogu(m): 6:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
But i am a truth speakin christian pharmacist in mission practice. What do you mean bros?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by sympathizer: 6:39pm On Sep 11, 2014
its sad

I actually spent four years studying vet med but all those while I kept writing jamb to change my course of study because of the bleak future I was forseeing

in my school, at least a student in each class has the chance to be retained as a lecturer if he/she finishes as the best in the class. But that is a job security for just one out of hundreds

I had a set back but I don't regret the fact I finally left
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
Godspearl: I'm satisfied.Just pick ur niche(favourite department) when u get to vet school. follow ur passion my dear and u will surely excel
Thanks dear
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2014
holard07:

Yes o, integrity lives on.

Am Sorry What is integrity class that you vet Doctors Ar talking about?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:59am On Sep 12, 2014
August21: OP, you are just like so many youths in this country. We have Eyes but we cannot see.
Have you ever taught abt starting a business. So, many pple in Nigeria are engage in 1 livestock bizness or another. Why don't u locate a town or city where people are engaged in livestock bizness. It can even be ur own town or city. Set up a bizness whr u start selling poultry feeds, fish feed, poultry drugs etc nd also advice these customers on how to use dem nd see if ur fame wudnt sprread. Dude, Open ur eyes. Nigeria has vast opportunities to be explored by Men wit Vision only.

I wonder oh when ppl go to school and after their education,they become so hopeless in search of job,why then did u waste ur time to study?,I believe every professional course studied is left for you to make the best use of it & become employer of labor.how can u condemn vets like these,do u know how many farms there are lacking a good vet services?if u happen to have 10 piggery farms,5 poultries,and 15 breeders plus dog owners that you handle the maintenance of their farms,wouldn't you be better of than your counterparts who sold himself to slavery by seeking for a 9 to 5 paid employment? You have ur time to yourself and can do lots more with it,Rome was not built in a day! Setup a branded firm,let results be ur aim rather than money,and I tell you,one will refer you to another and before you know it,you have more clients that you start thinking you need extra hands. Most of these people you seek employments from husstled their way out.some are not half as educated as you are,
Don't let the pursuit of money be 1st on ur priority but what you can offer to better the economy.Poverty,hopelessness and greed is the main reason lots are suffering today,Do u know some vets clinics charge up to 70k and more for surgery on a dog in this country?

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by BOUNTYDOG(m): 11:09am On Sep 12, 2014
haemi: Some courses should be cancelled in Nigerian universities, because they just produce graduates that have little or no place in the Nigerian society. Not everybody is capable of relocating abroad. Courses like vet medicine, Anatomy, physiology; should be erased from our universities.

Huh If I hear u well,
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Samgreguc(m): 2:45pm On Sep 12, 2014
Mbediogu:
But i am a truth speakin christian pharmacist in mission practice. What do you mean bros?
am nt sure u are. And if really u are av u gotten to discuss well with anyone of the Vet doc?
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by hammer07: 10:37am On Sep 13, 2014
I am a Veterinarian by training and had such high hopes after school.I really chose Vet but reality hit me when it became hard to survive after school. People are here talking about starting your own business and all.....how do you do that with no hope of raising money legitimately? I diverted soon after and though i'm doing fine I still want to retire into my first love ( Veterinary Medicine)..not practice this time..Large Animal Husbandary.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... / Photos From KCR Pet And Car Wash Event / How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.