Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,002 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. - Pets (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. (20284 Views)

Buy Any Dog Breed In Abuja[rott,cauc,gsd,boerbol,etc...from A Reg Veterinary Doc / Nigeria Veterinary Medicine In Perspective / Is Veterinary Medicine Lucrative In Nigeria? Advice Needed From Vets Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by chioma134: 10:51am On Sep 13, 2014
@op, one day,I may open a fish farm or poultry and then would need to retain the services of a vet doc. Try big fish farms, poultries,piggeries, cattle rearers and seek retainership. I believe you'll be the one running away from work eventually. Don't just sit there looking for paid employment. Wish you luck.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Mirabelle2409: 5:19pm On Feb 12, 2018
[right][/right]Well done sir.... I need your Eli in this. I have a fish farm in Ijebu ode and wanna begin cucumber and poultry farming at the same time, would it be possible to get your friends contact who specialize in poultry and fisherY. Here is my whatsapp contact; 08065745958. Thank you and God bless. Could you help with quote author=stagger post=26211307]I disagree with the OP.

I have two friends who are vet doctors. One of them owns a mighty poultry farm, and does consultancy services to various large farm owners. I have also seen a vet doctor here in Abuja who is into big time dog breeding. Another one I know consults for large fish farm owners and has a large fish farm himself.

I am also aware that vets can work in research institutes. With all these animal diseases like bird flu and the rest of them, is it not possible for a vet to go into research with research grants and come up with a vaccine? There was a time when Rinderpest wreaked havoc in Africa in the 1980s and 1990s, killing millions of cows across Africa. I was reading online the other day out of curiosity and discovered that in the years I first heard about Rinderpest in an NTA documentary in 1984, a vaccine was developed and today the disease has been declared eradicated!

Nigerian Vet doctors should open their minds up to possibilities. Today we hear Ebola came from fruit bats and that it crosses to monkeys, apes, bushmeat and then humans. Is there no role for vets to come into a stage of the research to develop treatments or vaccines?

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by drgbaks(f): 7:50pm On Feb 12, 2018
Mirabelle2409:
[right][/right]Well done sir.... I need your Eli in this. I have a fish farm in Ijebu ode and wanna begin cucumber and poultry farming at the same time, would it be possible to get your friends contact who specialize in poultry and fisherY. Here is my whatsapp contact; 08065745958. Thank you and God bless. Could you help with quote author=stagger post=26211307]I disagree with the OP.

I have two friends who are vet doctors. One of them owns a mighty poultry farm, and does consultancy services to various large farm owners. I have also seen a vet doctor here in Abuja who is into big time dog breeding. Another one I know consults for large fish farm owners and has a large fish farm himself.

I am also aware that vets can work in research institutes. With all these animal diseases like bird flu and the rest of them, is it not possible for a vet to go into research with research grants and come up with a vaccine? There was a time when Rinderpest wreaked havoc in Africa in the 1980s and 1990s, killing millions of cows across Africa. I was reading online the other day out of curiosity and discovered that in the years I first heard about Rinderpest in an NTA documentary in 1984, a vaccine was developed and today the disease has been declared eradicated!

Nigerian Vet doctors should open their minds up to possibilities. Today we hear Ebola came from fruit bats and that it crosses to monkeys, apes, bushmeat and then humans. Is there no role for vets to come into a stage of the research to develop treatments or vaccines?

Very good points made and questions raised sir. In fact, a colleague of mine wrote a rejoinder to this article when it first came out years ago.

I think you will find it interesting and enlightening as well.

Here is the link to his article:

https://www.drgbaksthevet.com/2017/04/25/is-veterinary-practice-lucrative-in-nigeria-dr-adah-ogwuche-answers-this-all-important-question/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by jbblues24(m): 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2019
Sorry, I can't hangout. My uncle's cousin's sister in law's best friend's insurance agent's roommate's pet goldfish died. Maybe next time. wink
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2019
drgbaks:
Very good points made and questions raised sir. In fact, a colleague of mine wrote a rejoinder to this article when it first came out years ago. I think you will find it interesting and enlightening as well.Here is the link to his article:

Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by Yababoy(m): 12:29am On Jul 04, 2019
dridowu:
All is well, being a Vet is not really interesting financially. One thing every Vet Doctor must know that he/she must be sincere with your client, if your client is not satisfied with you, try to find out what you did wrong and how to correct it.
Moreover, some Vet looks towards small animals only while their is other unit they can lay on. One of the issue we Vet also face is quackery especially from Dog breeders that claim they are Vet Doctor. Another challenge is that "i don't care attitude " of Senior Vet .
One thing is certain , the future is bright for Veterinary Profession In Nigeria if the basic law can be enforced.
Proverb 12:10a A righteous person cares for
the life of his animal
This is a very interesting discourse. I sincerely do not believe that any practice is useless. After reading all the excuses for why it's difficult to thrive as a vet doctor in Nigeria, what jumps at me is the fact that worse can be said of a lot of courses in Nigeria.
For instance, how many accountants are churned out by our universities annually? How many graduates have found their way into IT without studying Computer Science in University and what does this mean for the numerous computer science graduates? How many law firms can absorb the tonnes of lawyers produced annually? I really can continue with so many scenarios.
The point is for graduates to understand that in today's workplace, your first degree is a foundation for whatever you want to become. It is not enough to study and graduate, you must be smart enough to have a medium to long term plan on how to achieve your dreams. You might need to pay some price but your sacrifices must be towards achieving that dream goal you've set for yourself.
Finally, I'll say there are opportunities in Vet medicine. There is an absolute dearth of good hands, even some of the so called DVMs have been found wanting from personal experience. I reckon that the key to thriving in this field just like any other is proper network, specializing and carving a niche for oneself and raw passion. Just like human doctors, you must have a natural interest in helping animals. A lot of practicing vet doctors in Nigeria lack this today and they will keep struggling to survive for as long as this fundamental is missing.
Re: The Dilemma Of Veterinary Medicine In Nigeria. by nurain150(m): 11:48pm On Dec 07, 2021
Mbediogu:
Employment and job creation is a live issue world over. Vet medicine is a core profession. To me, apart from nursing it is the nearest to human medicine - even more than pharmacy. I remember a few years ago in Min of Health Imo State when a Vet doctor displaced a pharmacist to become perm sec.
The Min of Agric where the vet rightly belong is mainly agrarian especially in the South of Nigeria. In developed countries where rich zoos and animal reserves kept, equine and other animal sports and shows are practiced, the vet find more jobs. The solution is to diversify and become all you can - as they say in the army.
On a lighter note, let me ask my numerous vet doctor friends the questions I have always asked them - why do you charge me 2000 per shot of DHPP-L each time I bring my dogs for vaccination? Why do you eat some of your patients (chicken, goats, rams, and cows) during festivities? Are you not creating patient distrust and reducing the number of your clients? Cheers!

IMO ministry?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... / Photos From KCR Pet And Car Wash Event / How To Identify Quack Veterinary Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.