Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing (5188 Views)

Who Stole The Coke? Come In If And Only If You're A Genius. / When You're A Medical Student In Esut. Pix / Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by ihedinobi2: 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
Wikkiiiiiid!

Classic case of 'truth hurts'.

Thanks for this, @Onegai.

I enjoyed listening to the familiar sounds of tuning when my dad looked for BBC's short wave transmission. Then there was VOA. Then there was a head filled with worry.

There are really good people with real potential who just need a break. Poverty is not necessarily an excuse. It is a real phenomenon and can be a real hindrance to a lot of good development for a lot of people. There are globetrotters who are only such in their imaginations. There are voracious readers and knowledge-seekers who only fantasize about the research they'll do.

Sometimes, it is true that opportunities present themselves in the most unlikely circumstances but they don't always. Not many can catch quality TV or even radio. News can be real expensive to get for some people. And so on. It is not impossible to squeeze good stuff out of hard circumstances but it is hard enough to daunt very hardy people.

3 Likes

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 23, 2014
Aptly said. Nice

https://www.nairaland.com/1925181/branded-campaign-materials-2015-around

Onegai:
I have seen so many threads on "I need a job please" or "My CV this or that", so I decided to write this down. I'm not selling anything, I'm sharing what I was taught, what I have learnt and what I have experienced.

Some weeks back, my company conducted interviews. Out of 10, only 1 guy was selected. He seems nice, but the other 9 were not right for us. And the problems they have, I've seen in a lot of Nigerians. So let's address them:

1. Your qualifications: yes, a 2.1 and a 1st class (notice the order I put them in, that's how unimportant I think a 1st class is) will open the door to an interview for you, but will NOT guarantee a job. Same with your Masters degree (I've seen a Ph.D from Imperial College UK not be able to get a job in an OnG firm). You need to focus on certification and Masters from the[b] RIGHT[/b] schools. Don't come and show me a M.Ba from Leeds and expect me to value it the same way I will value M.Ba from Pennsylvania.

2. What do you know? [/b]I have met countless Nigerian youths and I am constantly amazed at HOW LITTLE they know. As in, most girls don't know about the Power Generation coys in Nigeria, most guys don't know about the Agricultural explosion in Nigeria, yet the girls can tell you the last post on Linda Ikeji and the guys can quote Football scores in their sleep. Those skills are great, if you wanna be a Blogger or a Footie commentator on the radio (btw, those 2 career prospects are overcrowded right now).

3. [b]What do you read?
You should be reading all sorts of books. Nope, not Self-Help books (never met a successful person who read those, they usually WRITE those), but any type of book and website. I was the kid that read Shakespeare, Soyinka and romance novels, jacked Encarta like I was studying for an exam, read Wikipedia and did research like crazy for no other reason than wanting to learn and watched BBC with her dad. I am very smart (I'm not boasting). Every single employer I have ever met refuses to believe I don't have a Masters from an Ivy League. I mean this. THE BEST EDUCATION IS FREE.

4. What have you done? How do you spend your holidays? Lazing away at home? My dad got us all jobs (he packed us off for summer, we worked retail!). It taught us the value of earned money and gave us work experience. It exposed us. My brother hiked a volcano in Hawaii, I like sightseeing and museums, another brother visits museums and likes modern Art. And in Nigeria, my sister used to be in charge of her church choir, my boss has done the "Walk for Breast Cancer", I've volunteered for Charity groups. Most of those things we did, didn't require a ton of cash (they're usually free to participate).

What does this all mean? Let's put it together.

4. What does your CV look like? I'm going to let you in on a little secret: there's no formula for writing an award-winning CV. There maybe a format, but there's no exact rule to it. That's it. NOTHING MORE. Instead,

a.)I see CVs that are badly written, filled with mispellings or so bland and looks like everyone else's, that after 20 other CVs, I skim through yours and unless I read something interesting, I don't give you a call.

b.)I see CVs with[b] email addres[/b]s of "Nneka41@yahoo.com" instead of "nneka.okote@yahoo.com" which sounds more professional.

d.) I see new grads who tell me the primary school they attended (if they had spent their holidays working, even doing internship at an IT firm, then studying Computer Science in Uni is better than doing NOTHING, they would have been able to put it on the CVs, to show that they are go-getters, instead of siddon-wait-for-miracle-to-land).

e.) I see experienced people put their Education first before their experience(if you have work experience of at least 4 yrs in the industry you're applying, write that down FIRST before your degree, on your CV. An employer cares more about the fact you've worked somewhere and done a good job than if you came out with 2.2 5 years ago).

f.) I see that in your [b]hobbies [/b]section you write: Reading, Singing, Football (now compare that to mine which will say "travelled the world including the following countries" or "physical sports including Tennis, Football, Athletics and F1 Motorsports", which of us sounds more interesting and would make an interviewer want to call me for an interview, just to see the person that does all that shiii grin)

g.) A [b]cover letter [/b]which says "I am responsible and hardworking, a team leader".

Let me rewrite that sentence for you, describing my boss "I am responsible and hardworking, I have always gone for positions of leadership in my personal life including my time as a member of Naomi and Ruth Group in my church, a society where we work closely with old and young widows, helping them to rejoin society and get back on their feet".
Abeg, please tell me who sounds more like a responsible, hardworking team leader!! Your cover letter should have all you have done in steps 1-3, I should read that cover letter, see you have achieved so many little victories, and I promise you, I won't really care about your 2.2 degree or lack of Masters.
Remember that brother of mine who likes Modern Art? He's a lawyer who had a 2.2, was President of his class and his Law society in school, liked Art and English culture (he knows his wines like a Sommelier). His first job was as a junior guy at a law firm whose senior partner likes WINES, ART and ENGLISH CULTURE! They had so much in common, 2 years later, my brother is the Head of his legal team for an Oil and Gas company! Still no masters!

If you are interesting with a lousy degree and lots of certifications and lots of personal achievements, I will call you for an interview so you can explain yourself, I will give you a chance to show me that maybe you were young and made mistakes. But if you are bland with a 2.1, you are NO different than every other person who crammed and achieved 2.1. A 1st class shows that you are diligent, not that you know the job, that's WHY employers like 1st class, they still have to retrain you after they hire you!

Almost all my friends wrote KPMG exam (they had 2.1), out of 150, they took 6. That's how little room there is up there. Your CV and cover letter is your advert, you better make it an interesting one.

5.) When you go for the interview, what's the important thing to do and know? Why, about the company of course! I have aced interviews by walking in, telling the interviewers about recent policies the company just executed and we discussed it, like it was an internal meeting. None of them asked me about my degree, I sounded too smart in front of them, they assumed it was Naija-factor that caused it to drop. Better read up about the company you wanna work for, know their CEO/MD, know if they're listed on the Stock Exchange, find out if they've just acquired new assets (and congratulate them). You will sound like you already work for them and they will find it easier to hire you.

Don't go in and say "I need this job for the money", we know you do, but saying and emphasizing on money makes you sound like you don't care about the job and may leave us in 3 months if a better offer comes. So why should we waste resources training you?

6.) Have you ever thought about taking the alternative route? 2 of my friends don't have a Uni degree, both earn $3,000 (yes, you read that right, they get paid in dollars in Nigeria) for their jobs in Lagos. They're in IT, one dropped out of uni to go to APTECH, he's a mad gamer, loves games, writes his codes for games, studies anything IT-related freely. And one more thing: he's very reliable.

Meanwhile, at my company, the Graphics Artist guy we give contracts to, is the most talented guy I've met, but is the biggest flake in the world, job of 2 days delivery, takes his 3 weeks and more, he won't pick his phone when we call to check. We just took a very big job from him and gave it to a not-so-talented but more reliable fellow. So, are you a flake? Are you shooting yourself in the foot by being unreliable and expecting people to keep giving you work? That's the problem with Naija, almost nothing gets done well and on-time.
Also, get an accountant if you run your business. You need someone to explain to you how Profits/Loss works. And be tell yourself: my business must be able to sustain me in 2 years' time and yield profits in 3-4 years.

I'm going to write some more. I realise that people will say "oh you sound priviledged, where am I to volunteer for this and that", my dears, they've been announcing on the radio about charity walks, social media, BBC, AlJazeera, CNN website is free, even travelling to all 36 states of the country makes you sound interesting (I know a girl who did that during her NYSC), she made the interviewer laugh with all her stories and she showed how resourceful she was, by achieving it. She got the job (2.1 in Textile Design).
Even going for all these things and being active in your church is BUILDING YOUR NETWORK. Which you will need, you know people, you get money.

Most employers in Nigeria complain graduates are unemployable and end up selecting the best of a bad bunch. So they use age and criteria to weed people out. These tips are ways to avoid that happening to you.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Opssy: 11:36am On Oct 24, 2014
This is absolutely nice,,thank you for this
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by chrislong(m): 11:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
am still waiting for nysc but all my years on nl. this is the best thread ive opened. thanks for adding to me

1 Like

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by dabosuker(m): 2:16am On Feb 14, 2015
thanks Onegai (OP), this is good stuff, i dont like your mind angry,

I love it!!!! kiss smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by bukatyne(f): 7:55pm On May 14, 2015
Onegai:
Business owners, this is for you:

I believe the worst thing for a business owner is to have the "Boss Mentality". That means constantly thinking you're better than your employees, which is wrong, you're as good as your employees, not better. A leader must be as good as his followers, but be accesible: Christ came to earth and didn't come and sit on a physical throne. So, respect your workers and their input. Work harder than them and work beside them, listen to them. Listen to your customers, don't assume YOU KNOW ALL THEY WANT.

Get an accountant. I'm serious. Earning N5mil per annum in a business IS NOT A PROFIT unless it is N5million after all expenses used to run the business have been paid off.

As a business owner, you have to invest in your business. Constantly look for ways to do things more efficiently.

Does your business run on offering a service? Then let me say this to you:

UPGRADE THE QUALITY OF YOUR SERVICES

Over 70% of services offered in Nigeria are mediocre. Case in point, I don't believe we have good carpenters in Lagos, their workmanship is so shoddy, so I will never pay fullprice for one. Tailors are beginning to smarten up and do quality work (and charge premium): my friend goes from Festac to Agungi to meet a tailor that sews beautifully, finishes the fabric neatly and never disappoints.

So offer a quality service, not noise and no content.

Wonderful thread

Definitely sharing.

1 Like

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 10:57pm On May 14, 2015
I'm going to keep this thread going in the hopes that it will grow, by sharing some of my personal experiences, past amd present.

Currently, I'm unemployed. YUP! grin and it is going to stay that way for at least 3-6 months (health reasons).

For the past couple of months, I've been stumped wondering "what am I to do now?" I wondered if I should start selling something or some services like all other Mummies (main reason for unemployment). Here are my options:

- clothes
- jewelry and accessories
- makeup
- event planning
- cake making and bead making

In case you don't realise, THOSE AREAS ARE SATURATED. Which means unless I have fantastic concepts and a killer network and a go-getter personality, I'm probably going to be 50% successful at them. So, what next?

1. Identify what you're good at.

Look, I have a sister that is Queen Organised. She will move her kids from here to Gombe, Edo and back to the UK without breaking out a sweat. She works 3 jobs and has enough time to drive me to the airport, attend church or hit the mall. If any CEO asks me for a PA, I will insist he hires her. Because she is soo good at organising, I cried when she played a prank on me and said she wouldn't be in town for my wedding (I needed her organisational skills).

Are you someone that when your father needs to get stuff done, he calls you because he knows you will do it, on-time, without much supervision and bring back results? You're an Executive Assistant (go do a Project Management course) and market yourself as such.

What are your strong points? Your grades on paper won't tell me such, but what you do will. If you're wondering what your talent or passion is, ask yourself "WHAT HAVE I SPENT TODAY DOING OR SAYING? WHAT DID I SPEND YESTERDAY DOING OR SAYING?"

I've met really talented people working in banks when they should be working elsewhere. I've seen people who were really good at Customer Service never think to themselves they should go back to school, get more training and set up a HR firm that trains people and hire them out to Customer Service jobs. I've seen people who can give 20 great ideas on how to grow your business not realise they were Business Consultants. I've seen people who know more about my toaster and microwave than the Electrician but instead of them to gather resources and start a Electronic Repair shop (catering to household appliances rather than phones and doing a very beautiful job, including replacement of old models), are hustling how to import 5 phones from the US to resell here. I have met girls who seem to know the whole world yet don't realise someone can pay you for that idea.

For me, I'm good at solving people's problems. I can state on paper what your company needs. So I target companies and corporations as a Business Consultant, I'm not giving them a fancy degree, I'm giving them honest "here's what you need to hear from your clients that I'm telling you".

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 11:22pm On May 14, 2015
So, let's go back to my sister (Queen Organisation), a mum working 3 part-time jobs (she hates being bored). What can you learn from her? She doesn't sell clothes or own a shop. But she teaches, after class.

Okay, let me ask everyone a question: How many of you liked your Lesson-teachers? (not me). Why not? (I knew more than them). So which teachers do you remember fondly (my Chemistry teacher and Literature teacher, who taught with passion). Same with my sister.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret:

WHEN YOU DO THINGS WITH PASSION, MONEY WILL CHASE YOU.

My sister could have taught a lot of stuff, but she decided to teach Secondary school kids. Why? Because her kids are that age, she likes and relates well to that age and after she tutored them to get some of the highest scores in the UK version of Common Entrance Exams, all her friends and neighbours were asking her for help. See how money followed her passion?

I don't like most of the teachers I see because they are so uninspired. They are working for salary sake and it shows. But imagine if you liked Teaching but you didn't want to work in a school, where would you go? We have so many people teaching Maths and Physics (and yet JAMB results are getting worse undecided ) and it is getting more competitive, so what can you teach?

c'mon, this is soooo easy!!

....seriously you should know the answer by now!!

Ahhhhhhhh! You had no clue!

LANGUAGES.

If you set up a very nice school, and hire smart personable people and one of the languages you are teaching is Urhobo, you have a customer in me in 5 years' time. If you have teachers in your school teaching whatever language they speak in Tiv-land, and you market yourself even on Nairaland and you're dependable, in a safe environment and with pleasant child minders, I can get you an additional 10 customers.

And summer long holiday is about to start, dollar is crazy, so affluent parents may not be able to send their kids abroad and don't want their children just sitting down at home jobless.

See? Money, lying on the floor, waiting for someone to pick it up. smiley

Now, like a typical Nigerian, you will naysay this. But last year, I met someone who was sponsored by universities abroad to teach Yoruba and I filed that info away. This year, NL had on its frontpage an article about South American countries wanting Yoruba teachers, and people turned it into a tribal thread, rather than seeing the opportunities there. Because seriously, Languages are disappearing and a lot of Nigerians are becoming more aware of their identities and if you don't come from a place with a major dialect (easily heard in several large cities), your children won't speak anything (case in point, I have never met an Isoko speaker my age. Imagine if I meet Don Jazzy and organise a language teacher for his nieces and nephews.)

Before you run into this half-cocked, sit down and write all you need. Get a notebook and speak to people who run schools and after-care centres. Look for a venue, look for how to advertise, look for schedule and target a catchment area. Make a plan.

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Chuksemi(m): 6:46pm On May 15, 2015
Dear op, I have been confused about the choice of career to go into. After doing a lot of thinking lately, I narrowed my choices down to Sales executive or Business[buying and selling].

I always see myself as a leader and a motivator. I visualise myself[involuntarily] walking into a well arranged auditorium, filled up with people who hold me in high esteem and I end up teaching them one or two things and get them motivated. I am a orator, I love talking to people, motivational or intelligent talk. I want to attain perfection in something and lead others to same. I also love hardwork and discipline. I read anything and everything I see, except these days. And yes, I am always leading a group of people everywhere I find myself, it's something that comes naturally to me. What kind of career do you think would be better for me?
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Chuksemi(m): 7:03pm On May 15, 2015
Onegai:
So, let's go back to my sister (Queen Organisation)

Please ma, I am passionate about being successful too. I enjoy leadership and intelligence. I originally wanted sales because of the possiblity of using words, talking to people and meeting targets. I am thinking business because it's a modified form of sales, here, I own the goods. Please ignore this post ma, attend to the one above.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 8:08pm On May 15, 2015
Chuksemi:
Dear op, I have been confused about the choice of career to go into. After doing a lot of thinking lately, I narrowed my choices down to Sales executive or Business[buying and selling].

I always see myself as a leader and a motivator. I visualise myself[involuntarily] walking into a well arranged auditorium, filled up with people who hold me in high esteem and I end up teaching them one or two things and get them motivated. I am a orator, I love talking to people, motivational or intelligent talk. I want to attain perfection in something and lead others to same. I also love hardwork and discipline. I read anything and everything I see, except these days. And yes, I am always leading a group of people everywhere I find myself, it's something that comes naturally to me. What kind of career do you think would be better for me?

I cannot tell you what career would be best, that takes time and conversations which I may not have time to do right now (and for free smiley ) all I will say is that to lead and motivate, you must know what you are talking about. You cannot sell a product you have no idea about. Or you will be parroting other people's trite words. So please go and do your homework.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jun 20, 2015
Onegai

Do you know anyone who teaches Spanish.

I think a languages summer school would be great for kids - great idea.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 3:39am On Jun 21, 2015
salsera:
Onegai

I don't for now.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by moski5(m): 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2015
salsera:
Onegai
you can get audio training materials online n yu all learn 2geda
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2015
CHILDREN'S CLOTHES

For some reason, we like imported children's clothes. But I think this will slow down soon and there's a need for nigerian-made children's clothes. Sewn in an attractive manner, I'm beginning to see them. being sold in shops and Ruff n Tumble is still doing well.
I found myself recently looking for a wool cardigan this Harmattan for my baby and couldn't find one. And I knew people who used professional. machines to knit school sweaters for kids in the past.

Why not get a couple of friends who can sew and use a knitting machine, but a couple of readymade children's wears, deconstruct them so you can see how they sewed them and use them to make a pattern and then make children's wears in native fabrics and things like cardigans and sweaters? Sell them cheaper than boutique price but competitively against imports (whose prices are rising with dollar costs).

3 Likes

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by lilreese: 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Thanks
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Akposb(m): 1:44pm On Dec 26, 2015
This writeup is fine and practical especially as it relates to our locality. The fact that you discussed Nigerian languages got me excited as our languages are gradually losing its influence among the young people. I will ensure to check this thread frequently.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by temi4fash(m): 11:23pm On Dec 27, 2015
Onegai:

I don't for now.

Good day madam,

Great write up you have here madam. God bless you for these ma.

Would love to send you my c.v and cover letter for you to help me evaluate.

Thanks
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 9:14am On Dec 28, 2015
temi4fash:

Good day madam,

Great write up you have here madam. God bless you for these ma.

Would love to send you my c.v and cover letter for you to help me evaluate.

Thanks

Hi. I'm really bad at checking emails from my NL account (I don't remembe the password and it isn't my primary account). Could you block out your name and perhaps change the names of the schools and former places of work, to protect your identity? Then paste it here, some other eyes may be able to look at it.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by temi4fash(m): 12:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
Onegai:

Hi. I'm really bad at checking emails from my NL account (I don't remembe the password and it isn't my primary account). Could you block out your name and perhaps change the names of the schools and former places of work, to protect your identity? Then paste it here, some other eyes may be able to look at it.

Oh kk madam....
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 8:39am On Apr 18, 2016
How Good Are You At Your Job?

My last employer told me "most salary-earners won't be happy with their pay even if you increased it but the truth is that they don't deserve it".

He was right.

The economy has crashed and financially everyone is hurting. You now feel you deserve a pay increase, but do you deserve it? NO.

Sadly, for all our "African morality" and religious teachings, we are not a very well-shaped people. We don't work in a way that deserves praise and dumb hardwork (and whining) is prized more than intelligent contributions and smart work. Let me give you a story:

A woman found herself in the position of having to work as a help and child kinder to a family. Now, we have all met househelps and maids and drivers and trust me, they are a necessary evil. I repeat, a necessary evil. Not a helpful aid. Because most of them don't even have he basic tools to be good at their jobs. Yet will expect to move to another job and demand higher pay (whilst whining). But this lady, she didn't do that. She worked hard and smart. She valued the children and household under her care. If she did wrong, she apologised (rather that stand there in sullen silence like most maids do). She spent 3 years at her place of work. When she had to leave her job as a househelp because she and her husband wanted to start their family, it dawned on her what she earning. In the past 3 years, they had increased her salary to N50,000 monthly. And when she was leaving, parents and grandparents of the house she was workig in have her a total sun of N450,000. They asked her to call them anytime she wanted to resume work.

Her salary was increased to N50,000 monthly and her severance was N450,000. This househelp was earning better than most office workers.

ARE YOU WORTHY OF YOUR PAY? BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF, WOULD YOU PAY YOURSELF WELL?

Now, that lady didn't work alone, there were 2 maids in the house. But where she was exemplary, the other maid was a typical Nigerian worker. But when the 2nd maid heard what happened, she started dreaming of the egunje she too will get. A month after the 1st maid left, 2nd started grumbling that work was too much (even though they had hired a replacement to share the load) and she wanted to go. So they released her. She went to say goodbye to get employers and stood there, smiling suggestively (waiting for her own N450,000). To her shock, the parents said goodbye and asked the gateman to escort her out of the house. Without a kobo.

She worked like a typical Nigerian and earned like a typical Nigerian (they never increased her salary).

IF YOU MET YOURSELF AT YOUR PLACE OF WORK, WOULD YOU PAY YOURSELF A NICE SALARY?

That first maid has come back and is managing the house and training the new staff. Now, she can easily launch a business of training household staff.

This is not "God answering calls", He will only "pick up calls" of the worthy people not people expecting miracles after doing little.

YOUR ATTITUDE TO WORK DETERMINED HOW FAR YOU WILL PROGRESS. NO JOB IS TOO IRRELEVANT OR TOO GOOD FOR YOU.

9 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 8:40am On Apr 18, 2016
Mods please can we move this to Career/Job section? Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by ORI1(m): 9:29am On Apr 18, 2016
Nice write up maam. But why do you discourage reading self-help books?
Wish I had seen this thread earlier.
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 12:56pm On Apr 18, 2016
ORI1:
Nice write up maam. But why do you discourage reading self-help books?
Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

I read some when I was going because someone challenged me to. Reality is that, I feel they don't teach you much. They can motivate you but not share much with you. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", I learned most of it fr my father. Same with a few more. I feel what people need is tailored advise. What works for you and your situation won't work for me. HTH

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Theophinio(m): 2:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
Onegai:
I don't know why graduates are unwilling to say "I trained myself through schooling/university". I and at least 70% of employers WILL HIRE you based on that information. Because it shows that you are hardworking and determined to succeed! You should proudly state that in your Cover Letter. Because it's hard to do and you ACHIEVED that.

All this time at home, go offer your services at a minimum wage (N40,000) to a company in the industry you want to work in. It gives you experience that looks good on your CV. A young man worked for a Advertising firm, he was one of the best artists but because he didn't have NYSC, they were cheating him and paying him N20,000 monthly. He swallowed it, worked his butt off and each quarter asked for a raise. Once he had experience of 2 years, he moved to another company, for a salary of N85,000. His old company started trying to win him back for N70,000. See? In this era of no jobs, a man is getting 2 companies to offer him work. This man leveraged on his experience and ended up getting the new company to finally agree to pay N100,000. See the difference experience and skills added to him.
Perfectly Executed
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 7:13pm On Jun 14, 2017
Hey! Happy Recession!! Shall we update this thread??

Mods, Fynestboi and Richie, can we please move this thread to Careers? Thank you. smiley
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by realsupermum: 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2017
Nice thread,Onegai good thumbs up!
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 9:24am On Sep 17, 2017
Digging For Gold, Found Oil

There's a story about some prospectors in the 1800s, in the US, who went digging for gold. This was during the gold rush. They got some land (that no-one wanted) and started mining. They were hoping to hit gold ore and make their fortunes. They dug for 188 days, each day of finding nothing killed their hopes. Money was running out, so they became hungrier as each day went by. Desperation set in, because there were bandits in the lonely area, harassing them. On the 189th day, they decided to give up. They went out that final time, hit the ground and out poured this thick black liquid. It was Crude oil. That ragtag group of prospectors became...

I have no idea what they became. Because I just made up that story. But you were engrossed, right?? cheesy

It's the moral of the story I want to highlight. Sometimes, we keep hitting our heads wanting jobs or wanting to start in an industry that doesn't want us. We want to run businesses and be called Entrepreneurs" when it's not really a part of us. We ignore our calling.

Is that you?

2 Likes

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Onegai(f): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2017
Culture: an untapped oilfield

Nigeria has 250 languages. They keep saying that. So many different tribes. And the most important thing to do with that diversity... Is to fight with one another. Sad.

Everywhere I go, I see Nigerian parents barely speaking their 250 languages to their kids. I see people answering their English names proudly and saying "African names are local". I see people happily trampling on statues from the past, buildings from our history and stories from our former lives. Because they think it's "unChristian", "antiMuslim".

Honey, who created the world with such diversity? Did He make a mistake?

Have you looked at the international Entertainment scene? Do you pay attention to it? Here, let me share some going-one in it:

1. "Sesame Street", one of the most iconic children's programme in the world, recently requested for a Yoruba speaking child to add to their cast.

2. Nedi Okorafor, PhD, wrote a Afro futuristic Sci fi novel, heavy in culture. The novel has been bought by HBO to be turned into a TV series. One of its producers is GRR Martin. If you're wondering why those names sound familiar, HBO and GRRM are behind a tiny show called "Game of Thrones". PS: Nedi is a girl, like Chimamanda (wink wink girls, you can wriiiitttteee).

3. There are Yoruba linguists making money off programming for Google.

4. More Nigerian producers and directors in the film industry are looking for more nuanced, polished local content. They cannot find anyone to play Nigerian traditional instruments, sing Nigerian traditional songs, to use as soundtracks in movies been screened at international film festivals. Even BBC Africa recently hired for the big 4 languages including Pidgin.

5. Upper middle class elites are looking for children's books geared towards Nigerian stories. Not "Jack and Jill". "Teseem", a Nigerian app for kids, has been launched.

6. There is a growing Travel industry centered around traveling in Nigeria, holiday making in Nigeria. Check out Irinajo and the Dare Project.

So, why are you not using your 250 languages? People are looking for African content desperately and you are looking to speak some fake phonetic. You probably sang in church today and went home without a backward thought. You play guitar but not Goje. You live in a village that has a 200 year old palace but walk by it nonchalantly. You have a phone that takes great pictures but didn't think to make a digital guidebook and ask Tourism travel firms if you could help arrange activities to do as a package for their customers if they come to your area.

You have a goldmine in your tongue but you're dismissing it.

And you're looking for a job.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 17, 2017
Onegai:
Culture: an untapped oilfield

Nigeria has 250 languages. They keep saying that. So many different tribes. And the most important thing to do with that diversity... Is to fight with one another. Sad.

Everywhere I go, I see Nigerian parents barely speaking their 250 languages to their kids. I see people answering their English names proudly and saying "African names are local". I see people happily trampling on statues from the past, buildings from our history and stories from our former lives. Because they think it's "unChristian", "antiMuslim".

Honey, who created the world with such diversity? Did He make a mistake?

Have you looked at the international Entertainment scene? Do you pay attention to it? Here, let me share some going-one in it:

1. "Sesame Street", one of the most iconic children's programme in the world, recently requested for a Yoruba speaking child to add to their cast.

2. Nedi Okafor, PhD, wrote a Afro futuristic Sci fi novel, heavy in culture. The novel has been bought by HBO to be turned into a TV series. One of its producers is GRR Martin. If you're wondering why those names sound familiar, HBO and GRRM are behind a tiny show called "Game of Thrones". PS: Nedi is a girl, like Chimamanda (wink wink girls, you can wriiiitttteee).

3. There are Yoruba linguists making money off programming for Google.

4. More Nigerian producers and directors in the film industry are looking for more nuanced, polished local content. They cannot find anyone to play Nigerian traditional instruments, sing Nigerian traditional songs, to use as soundtracks in movies been screened at international film festivals. Even BBC Africa recently hired for the big 4 languages including Pidgin.

5. Upper middle class elites are looking for children's books geared towards Nigerian stories. Not "Jack and Jill". "Teseem", a Nigerian app for kids, has been launched.

6. There is a growing Travel industry centered around traveling in Nigeria, holiday making in Nigeria. Check out Irinajo and the Dare Project.

So, why are you not using your 250 languages? People are looking for African content desperately and you are looking to speak some fake phonetic. You probably sang in church today and went home without a backward thought. You play guitar but not goje. You live in a village that has a 200 year old palace but walk by it nonchalantly. You have a phone that takes great pictures but didn't think to make a digital guidebook and ask Tourism travel firms if you could help arrange activities to do as a package for their customers if they come to your area.

You have a goldmine in your tongue but you're dismissing it.

And you're looking for a job.

This is so true and very accurate. People are fond of copying western societies while 'they' are looking for the diversity we can provide

1 Like

Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 17, 2017
How then can one go about it?
Re: Why You're Not Getting A Job And Your Business Isn't Growing by ElmaSpeed(f): 12:13pm On Sep 17, 2017
I can't believe I'm just seeing this thread for the first time today.
Better late than never.

OP mentioned two ideas I had long before the naira crashed, ideas I dismissed without a second thought. If I had worked on those ideas then, I wouldn't have had cause to complain about the recession.
Now I know better.

This has inspired me to pursue my passions and invest in my ideas. I hope I can be a model to my kids so they don't wander in circles as young adults.

Thank you ma'am. I'm following this actively.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bet9ja !! Give Me My Birthright !! Give Me My 10% !! / Who Is Richer Dangote Or Abacha / Expert Guide: 15 Tips To Boost Your Engagement On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.