Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,311 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria (50887 Views)

Must Read:- Campus Prostitution- The Tale Of A ‘RUNS GAL’[ Part 1] / CAMPUS PROSTITUTION ~~(the Aristos And What Not) What Could Be The Cause? / Secret On How To Persuade Your Lecturers And Accord To Concern In Any Situation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 10:49am On Aug 02, 2014
Nigeria: Menace of Campus S*x Trade
By Blessing Undoidi

The growing rate of campus s*x trade in our tertiary institutions is becoming a cause for concern. It is no longer news that politicians, lawmakers, businessmen and other well-placed men in the society are the major people patronizing female students . When you visit female hostels at night, you will be amazed at the kind of flashy cars that come to pick up these young undergraduates for one function or the other. This is pathetic for this nation and its people. The same set of misguided leaders that have thrown the parents of these students into abject poverty, are the same ones destroying their children; because they control the means of survival and social status.

A student involved in the 'trade' who doesn't want her name in print said she is not happy doing it. She said people including the wide array of men who patronize her see her as immoral and indecent. "I was molested by five men when I was just 16 years old and in my final year in secondary school, so it affected me psychologically and the incident contributed to what I am today. I am also the first child of my parent's eight children. I need to struggle and sponsor myself in school and also help sponsor my younger ones because my parents are poor. So I do this to survive."

Another student in an interview with this writer said almost all tertiary institutions, either public or privately owned, have a representation of women of easy virtue. She said many female students are brazenly joining the train. "They are increasing on a daily basis because the ladies are being encouraged and initiated by their friends, added with an inordinate desire for affluence. Religious teachings, scourge of HIV/AIDS and ritual killers that find easy prey among s*x workers has not been able to curb the rising trend of the practice."

She said there is no doubt that the s*x trade, in the long run, corrupts the quality of the nation's future leaders and affects their values. Understanding that young females constitute an appreciable percentage of the nation's population, little could be expected from them, productively, if they have been turned into 'cheap se*ual machines' with warped self-esteem and self-actualization.

Commenting on the issue, a lawyer, Terver Loius Abagen, said campus s*x trade is the business of having s*x for money by female students. "This type of immorality is certainly not a new thing. The history of this type of immorality can be likened to the history of mankind, because every civilization has practiced it. Modern persons continue to patronize s*x workers. Even the name has now changed to "commercial s*x workers", in an attempt to lessen the stigma of the women who practice this trade.

"Notable people all over the country are known to patronize s*x workers, which is the major reason why the business continues to thrive in spite of global criticisms against it. Many of the big men in our society, who patronize them, do so discreetly and urge them to keep it up while coming to the open to fight for bills on why s*x workers should keep off the streets, and this profession is likely to equal the world oil market in the nearest future," he said.

According to him, several attempts have been made to curb the s*x trade through the Penal Code in Section 34 which states, 'Right to Dignity of human person. Every individual is entitled to respect for dignity of his person and accordingly - a) No person shall be subjected to torture or inhuman degrading treatment'. It should be noted that the s*x trade can be one of the elements of degradation. Also in State Law it says, they can be arrested and given two years imprisonment and can be charged with the fine of N20,000.

He said many arrests have been made in the past, especially with the help of Civil Societies, "but the Nigerian society has failed to arrive at a consensus on how to legally handle this blooming profession. While some people prefer that it be outlawed, others have sympathetically justified the profession on the bad economy of the country and feel that outlawing the s*x trade will further victimize the victims, so there is confusion on what steps to take to reduce the s*x trade."

He advised that the campus s*x trade can be stopped or reduced, if tertiary institutions can make laws to prohibit the practice on the campuses, arrest anybody caught in the act and, hand them over to the appropriate authorities for prosecution. He said, if these laws are put in place, it will pose a threat to others intending to venture into such a business within the campus environment and the country at large.

Barrister Abagen stressed that the parents also have a significant role to play in stopping or reducing the s*x trade on campuses. He enjoined parents to teach their children good morals from home. "They should also strive to meet the needs of their children in school. Many parents don't have time to check on their children and know what they are doing with their lives. They are carried away with their jobs, family problems and their financial challenges."

"The government is also not helping matters with the rate of unemployment in the country and the high cost of attaining higher education. The government should improve funding of the education sector in order to drastically reduce the cost of attaining higher education in the country," he advised.

Related Video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7lgHrG0pE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by hod898(m): 1:24pm On Aug 02, 2014
I always tell girls, when you enter the university, join a good fellowship gathering, be prayerful and God will provide. Face the hard part now. The more devastating the storm, the sooner it will be over. I once knew a lady who came from a poor family. Very intelligent, diligent and God-fearing, she trusted God and never participated in all these 'I didn't have a choice' immoralities. She graduated with good grades and by God's grace, was employed in a company. She told me her starting salary was about N6000 per day (180,000) per month. During her school years she survived by using her brain. She tutored high school students, she had a choice. Today, she has a marriage proposal from a decent but wealthy man. It's not about the government but the way you govern your life.

243 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 02, 2014
So true.
Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by alentyno: 3:22pm On Aug 02, 2014

1 Like

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by hod898(m): 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2014
Mods, pls take this serious issue to fp. lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by GreyBlood: 5:19pm On Aug 02, 2014
Were they forced on gun-point to open their legs
Everything is borne out of greed. Everybody wants to "belong".Most ladies in sch crave to live large, live in exquisite apartments,dress top-notch, use the latest gadgets and appear generally posh thereby stressing their financial string to the limit and hence, resorting to "runs girls".

75 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by tracybee(f): 5:30pm On Aug 02, 2014
hod898: I always tell girls, when you enter the university, join a good fellowship gathering, be prayerful and God will provide. Face the hard part now. The more devastating the storm, the sooner it will be over. I once knew a lady who came from a poor family. Very intelligent, diligent and God-fearing, she trusted God and never participated in all these 'I didn't have a choice' immoralities. She graduated with good grades and by God's grace, was employed in a company. She told me her starting salary was about N6000 per day (180,000) per month. During her school years she survived by using her brain. She tutored high school students, she had a choice. Today, she has a marriage proposal from a decent but wealthy man. It's not about the government but the way you govern your life.

PREACH!

14 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 02, 2014
They want to live the celebrity life without working for it. They want to be; Beyonce after work, not Beyonce at work.

Many ladies will comment on this thread via phones procured from aristo funds. It is now a way of life to many of them.

The man that beds you for money, does he advise his daughters to do same?

GREED IS THE BEGINNING OF ARISTO

99 Likes 1 Share

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Mutuwa(m): 8:34pm On Aug 02, 2014
As long as the wide gap btwn the haves and the have nots still exits,the scourge of campus prostitution has come to stay.Girls should only wise up.there is more light ahead than a temporal amoral life which has a perpetual punishment.

13 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by MoyoGENERAL: 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2014
"She said she is doing it and she is not happy with what she is doing!!!!
orisi risi...
in that case....its obvious that the matter is SPIRITUAL....
and after 7 years of destroying there lives, they will graduate and join a fellowship all in the name of getting married.....
.........chaiiiiiii.........chaiiiiiii.....chaiiiiiiii
....I pray now...that every wolves( girls wey don destroy their lives aristocrating) in sheep clothing looking to deceive you into marrying them will not succeed in Jesus name....
Amen

126 Likes 1 Share

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 11:34pm On Aug 02, 2014
MoyoGENERAL: "She said she is doing it and she is not happy with what she is doing!!!!
orisi risi...
in that case....its obvious that the matter is SPIRITUAL....
and after 7 years of destroying there lives, they will graduate and join a fellowship all in the name of getting married.....
.........chaiiiiiii.........chaiiiiiii.....chaiiiiiiii
....I pray now...that every wolves( girls wey don destroy their lives aristocrating) in sheep clothing looking to deceive you into marrying them will not succeed in Jesus name....
Amen

Will you also rain down fire and brimstone on the men, single and married, who come sniffing around the campuses flashing money and looking for easy lays with gullible female students?

it takes two to tango.

37 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by marcjoe(m): 12:29am On Aug 03, 2014
So bad....

For ur cheap memory card and cool hd games for ur android phone and free hd movies go here....

https://www.nairaland.com/1570564/get-16gb32gb-memory-card-phonecamera
Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by onome710(m): 1:22am On Aug 03, 2014
Both the men & the ladies are to blame! Period!

6 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 03, 2014
zboyd: Nigeria: Menace of Campus S*x Trade
By Blessing Undoidi

The growing rate of campus s*x trade in our tertiary institutions is becoming a cause for concern. It is no longer news that politicians, lawmakers, businessmen and other well-placed men in the society are the major people patronizing female students . When you visit female hostels at night, you will be amazed at the kind of flashy cars that come to pick up these young undergraduates for one function or the other. This is pathetic for this nation and its people. The same set of misguided leaders that have thrown the parents of these students into abject poverty, are the same ones destroying their children; because they control the means of survival and social status.

A student involved in the 'trade' who doesn't want her name in print said she is not happy doing it. She said people including the wide array of men who patronize her see her as immoral and indecent. "I was molested by five men when I was just 16 years old and in my final year in secondary school, so it affected me psychologically and the incident contributed to what I am today. I am also the first child of my parent's eight children. I need to struggle and sponsor myself in school and also help sponsor my younger ones because my parents are poor. So I do this to survive."

Another student in an interview with this writer said almost all tertiary institutions, either public or privately owned, have a representation of women of easy virtue. She said many female students are brazenly joining the train. "They are increasing on a daily basis because the ladies are being encouraged and initiated by their friends, added with an inordinate desire for affluence. Religious teachings, scourge of HIV/AIDS and ritual killers that find easy prey among s*x workers has not been able to curb the rising trend of the practice."

She said there is no doubt that the s*x trade, in the long run, corrupts the quality of the nation's future leaders and affects their values. Understanding that young females constitute an appreciable percentage of the nation's population, little could be expected from them, productively, if they have been turned into 'cheap se*ual machines' with warped self-esteem and self-actualization.

Commenting on the issue, a lawyer, Terver Loius Abagen, said campus s*x trade is the business of having s*x for money by female students. "This type of immorality is certainly not a new thing. The history of this type of immorality can be likened to the history of mankind, because every civilization has practiced it. Modern persons continue to patronize s*x workers. Even the name has now changed to "commercial s*x workers", in an attempt to lessen the stigma of the women who practice this trade.

"Notable people all over the country are known to patronize s*x workers, which is the major reason why the business continues to thrive in spite of global criticisms against it. Many of the big men in our society, who patronize them, do so discreetly and urge them to keep it up while coming to the open to fight for bills on why s*x workers should keep off the streets, and this profession is likely to equal the world oil market in the nearest future," he said.

According to him, several attempts have been made to curb the s*x trade through the Penal Code in Section 34 which states, 'Right to Dignity of human person. Every individual is entitled to respect for dignity of his person and accordingly - a) No person shall be subjected to torture or inhuman degrading treatment'. It should be noted that the s*x trade can be one of the elements of degradation. Also in State Law it says, they can be arrested and given two years imprisonment and can be charged with the fine of N20,000.

He said many arrests have been made in the past, especially with the help of Civil Societies, "but the Nigerian society has failed to arrive at a consensus on how to legally handle this blooming profession. While some people prefer that it be outlawed, others have sympathetically justified the profession on the bad economy of the country and feel that outlawing the s*x trade will further victimize the victims, so there is confusion on what steps to take to reduce the s*x trade."

He advised that the campus s*x trade can be stopped or reduced, if tertiary institutions can make laws to prohibit the practice on the campuses, arrest anybody caught in the act and, hand them over to the appropriate authorities for prosecution. He said, if these laws are put in place, it will pose a threat to others intending to venture into such a business within the campus environment and the country at large.

Barrister Abagen stressed that the parents also have a significant role to play in stopping or reducing the s*x trade on campuses. He enjoined parents to teach their children good morals from home. "They should also strive to meet the needs of their children in school. Many parents don't have time to check on their children and know what they are doing with their lives. They are carried away with their jobs, family problems and their financial challenges."

"The government is also not helping matters with the rate of unemployment in the country and the high cost of attaining higher education. The government should improve funding of the education sector in order to drastically reduce the cost of attaining higher education in the country," he advised.

Related Video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7lgHrG0pE

Op you re lame

2 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 03, 2014
Campus Immorality is not a growing concen. A growing concern is this childish preoccupation with what adults choose to do with themselves behind closed doors.

3 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 7:35am On Aug 03, 2014
donnypool:

Op you re lame

Responder, either you're in denial or you're a participant.

Such things also happen on college campuses, here in the U.S too...in addition to stripping (dancing for money in men's clubs).

The difference is the practice of campus immortality is not as overt, as it is in Nigeria.

Campus monitors are pretty much vigilant about spotting and preventing any shady business.

In addition, the practice is not so widespread here, since there are so many resources students can access, if they are in need...unlike Nigeria.

17 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 7:37am On Aug 03, 2014
Horayce: Campus Immorality is not a growing concen. A growing concern is this childish preoccupation with what adults choose to do with themselves behind closed doors.

If campus immortality was not a concern, then it wouldn't be newsworthy and/or come to the attention of those who are concerned.

1 Like

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by traware(m): 10:30am On Aug 03, 2014
hod898: I always tell girls, when you enter the university, join a good fellowship gathering, be prayerful and God will provide. Face the hard part now. The more devastating the storm, the sooner it will be over. I once knew a lady who came from a poor family. Very intelligent, diligent and God-fearing, she trusted God and never participated in all these 'I didn't have a choice' immoralities. She graduated with good grades and by God's grace, was employed in a company. She told me her starting salary was about N6000 per day (180,000) per month. During her school years she survived by using her brain. She tutored high school students, she had a choice. Today, she has a marriage proposal from a decent but wealthy man. It's not about the government but the way you govern your life.
I don't believe this your bullsh.it story.All you did was remix 'Snow white and the seven dwarfs' fairytale

26 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by traware(m): 10:37am On Aug 03, 2014
GreyBlood: Were they forced on gun-point to open their legs
Everything is borne out of greed. Everybody wants to "belong".Most ladies in sch crave to live large, live in exquisite apartments,dress top-notch, use the latest gadgets and appear generally posh thereby stressing their financial string to the limit and hence, resorting to "runs girls".
Its all caused by greed you say?It seems you have no idea how poor Nigerians are and how poor Nigeria as a country is.If those ladies don't sell sex to men,how will they eat?If they don't eat,how will they live to see another day?'Runs girling' is all about survival.Nothing new there.Afterall,the majority of Nigerian ladies do it anyway.Its just a symptom of a larger issue in Nigeria;P.o.v.e.r.t.y.The wealthy will always exploit the poor.Cold world.By the way,@OP the term 'morality' is relative.What may be 'moral' to you,may be 'immoral' to me and vice-versa.There is no absolute clear definition of the term

5 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by armadeo(m): 1:04pm On Aug 03, 2014
Why do all runs girls start their story with I was raped as a child.

Secondly its not greed that starts it, its hunger which once sated leads to greed. A vicious cycle it is.

7 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by GreyBlood: 1:21pm On Aug 03, 2014
traware: Its all caused by greed you say?It seems you have no idea how poor Nigerians are and how poor Nigeria as a country is.If those ladies don't sell sex to men,how will they eat?If they don't eat,how will they live to see another day?'Runs girling' is all about survival.Nothing new there.Afterall,the majority of Nigerian ladies do it anyway.Its just a symptom of a larger issue in Nigeria;P.o.v.e.r.t.y.The wealthy will always exploit the poor.Cold world.By the way,@OP the term 'morality' is relative.What may be 'moral' to you,may be 'immoral' to me and vice-versa.There is no absolute clear definition of the term
I'm not keen into believing that it is caused by poverty. It is a rarity to see "runs girls" that sleep around just to raise money for feeding or hand-outs. Majority sleep around because they crave for extra comfort and to intimidate other females in their department.

I know some are from poor families but instead of managing as expected they throw their dignity and morality to the dogs and yield fully into this lewd lifestyle.

29 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 3:06pm On Aug 03, 2014
traware: Its all caused by greed you say?It seems you have no idea how poor Nigerians are and how poor Nigeria as a country is.If those ladies don't sell sex to men,how will they eat?If they don't eat,how will they live to see another day?'Runs girling' is all about survival.Nothing new there.Afterall,the majority of Nigerian ladies do it anyway.Its just a symptom of a larger issue in Nigeria;P.o.v.e.r.t.y.The wealthy will always exploit the poor.Cold world.By the way,@OP the term 'morality' is relative.What may be 'moral' to you,may be 'immoral' to me and vice-versa.There is no absolute clear definition of the term

I substituted the term "immorality" for the term "sex trade" in the article's title...nothing more...nothing less.

The original title of the article, "Campus S*x Trade A Growing Concern In Nigeria", most likely, wouldn't have made it past the forum censors.

For example, the term "r*pe" is always changed to "molest" in a topic or within the body of a posting.

It's said that the s*x trade is the oldest profession in the world and, it's usually used as a way to survive, but it's also to make extra money and/or live the 'highlife'.

Over here, female students, single mothers, married women, divorced and widowed women, and now men work in state-licensed brothels in some counties in the state of Nevada and have to register themselves as independent contractors with the state and pay taxes.

The face of the s*x worker is no longer some crack-addicted, broken down female hawking her wares, along city streets, under the watchful eyes of a parasitic love-vendor.
Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by bestads(m): 3:44pm On Aug 03, 2014
NO FEMALE HAS REPLIED THIS POST......What it means that more than 90% of the females here on nairaland are guilty of campus sextrade because of greed to have blackberry, iphone, samsung galaxy and be known as a big girl on campus...period

57 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 4:11pm On Aug 03, 2014
How are girls affected by s*xual abuse?

Some abused girls are three times more likely develop psychiatric disorders and symptoms like...

...anger...depression...withdrawal...nightmares...loss of memory...thoughts of suicide...paranoia...obsessive-compulsive traits...compulsive lying...stealing...and violent attacks on others.

Some abused girls have a high risk of developing eating disorders like...

...binging...purging...and anorexia.

Some abused girls are three times more likely to become addicted to alcohol and drugs.

Some abused girls...

...display overtly s*xual behavior...reveal an unusually sophisticated level of s*xual knowledge...play with toys in a s*xually provocative manner...may engage directly in promiscuous behavior...or turn to prostitution...behaviors that child psychologists have linked to past and ongoing s*xual abuse.

Source: goodtherapy.org

7 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2014
ehyaa poverty and its distateful colabo greediness no good o...let's fight poverty and raise the standard of living of people
Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by zboyd: 4:14pm On Aug 03, 2014
If there were no 'Buyers"...there wouldn't be any 'Sellers'.

10 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by OXYGEN01: 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
Apart from being employed by boko haram to kill people I think this is the only employment avenue one can engage his/herself in.THE ONLY TWO EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES IN nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Celepope: 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2014
The trend is now a norm in schools like Uniabuja,Uniport and Unilag.These so called girls are so proud to call themselves "Runs Girls" thereby rebranding the conventional name Ashaw.o

11 Likes

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by sirjohnson(m): 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2014
I want you all to read this shocking and interesting facts about prostitution. Here: www.x10lmasv2t9

1 Like

Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Talkcentral: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2014
y
Re: Campus Prostitution: A Growing Concern In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2014
I think the solution lies with the men,if they don't patronize this girls,they will have no reason to prostitute.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / So Many People Will Get This Wrong: What Is The Opposite Of Red?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.