Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,251 members, 7,818,871 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2752 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Dibangoking(m): 10:08pm On Sep 13, 2014
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2014
Gunite: 95% of my course mates will graduate with 2.1,but i know that only 6 are real 2.1.You come here to argue nonsensically because you have browsing phones.

You are right on point. In this country where anything can be bought including grades, boasting of graduating with 2.1 is and using that as a yardstick for success on the job is truly disheartening and misleading. That is why I shared my story. I graduated with 2.2 but any day anytime, I can stand and compete with the best in my field and even in my department I was still one of the very best.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 10:39pm On Sep 13, 2014
Yomieluv: Op,most employers believe that a person who didn't do well in school is an unserious person.

Now,opening a thread on why not to make 2:1 to succeed in life is misleading.

Truth is that,its not easy making it out there,in order to stand out,come out with a good grade.

And all you need is a single opportunity for a job interview and prove them wrong.

What is truly misleading is opening a thread on why I will not succeed if I did not graduate with a 2.1. My personal story proved otherwise, which i share in the post.

Yes, truth is making it out there is not easy, but what will distinguish you from others is not just your good grade, many already have that now but acquiring other qualities mentioned in my post.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by buemene(m): 10:58pm On Sep 13, 2014
walex2: Thanks OP for ur clarification. Delusional minds, there goal in life is to have a 2.1 and work in multinational companies but they have not pause a bit to enquire whether the real owners of Guiness,Unilever, Microsoft, PZ, Pand G and numerous multinational companies are owners of degree let alone2.1 u can never be rich working for someone.

You hit the nail folk. That is exactly the mentality we should be pursuing and not this over-emphasis on paper qualification and nothing to show for it practically while priding themselves on good grade. When we start thinking and acting this way, their will be more job creators than job hunters.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2014
Yosifperfect: Team2.1... I've got nothing to lose. And please, you should rather encourage people, not dissuade people with this kind of post from aspiring for good grades. Thanks!
seconded#
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by lepasharon(f): 11:49pm On Sep 13, 2014
LOL,what I got from this thread is that Uni isn't worth it at all.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Birniwa(m): 1:12am On Sep 14, 2014
The OP is damn right, university first class degree doesn't guarantee multinational jobs anymore, what does is your practical skills and ability to provide solutions.

I'm sure all these folks claiming they graduated with first or second class degrees are enormously looking for jobs they can't find, that's even if their claim turns out to be true.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by haryomikun(m): 1:32am On Sep 15, 2014
walex2: Thanks OP for ur clarification. Delusional minds, there goal in life is to have a 2.1 and work in multinational companies but they have not pause a bit to enquire whether the real owners of Guiness,Unilever, Microsoft, PZ, Pand G and numerous multinational companies are owners of degree let alone2.1 u can never be rich working for someone.
M sorry. What Ɣơ̴͡u̶̲̥̅̊ actually mean is u can never be WEALTHY when working for sumone. Anybody can actually become rich. But wealthiness........... Not J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇τ̣̣̥ anibodi#FACT
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by Majestybaba92(m): 5:22pm On Sep 13, 2021
� why would you go to school when you know you won't be serious with your studies?
I'm a proud 2.1 holder in industrial chemistry and aslo an Entrepreneur. I have been running my barbershop even before gaining admission and aslo an employer of labour. I pay up to $30, 000 monthly to my employee, but that was not an excuse for me not to do well in school.

buemene:
This post is coming at the hills of a post featured here a few days back: https://www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1

I have very high regard for excellence at what one does, academic excellence not being the least of them. I would also encourage all undergrads who are still in school and who have chosen a job as their career path to do all they can to get the golden ticket to a good job - 2.1+.

My personal experience however, has taught me differently. While I was still an undergrad, I turned down three juicy job openings, one in the private sector and two with Govt organisation with pensionable benefits. The reason? I was determined to be a solutions provider and a job creator. So whenever I communicate with prospective clients and proffer solutions to common problems they face, they ended up wanting to employ me to add value to their organisations.

Even in my current position which I work as I finally decided to work for a while, I got the job beating several graduates with 2.1 qualifications while I was still an undergraduate (I graduated with 2.2 part time). All this with no connection or recommendation from any top Govt. Official.
I know several others in my city who have demonstrated entrepreneurial inkling that have turned down several job offers who do not have a university degree. No kidding.

The facts show that putting too much emphasis on pure academic excellence and good grades is diminishing the equally if not more important things any individual should pursue if they want to succeed in life.

Higher education and a degree is overrated and misleading.

Since secondary school leavers naturally aspire for a degree, that is where the problem begins. The trend today is for secondary schools to groom their students for higher education. To this end, most secondary schools focus on academic subjects that enable the students to score well in university entrance examinations rather than on courses that will equip the students for the workplace. Secondary school students today are under tremendous pressure from teachers, counselors, and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the best universities, where they will hopefully earn the degrees that can open for them doors to promising and well-paying jobs. This eventually denies them the most needed practical skills in real life. This continues throughout the university days.

A degree (good or bad) no longer guarantees a job

The popular opinion that for young people to succeed, the only option is to get a university education and come out with good grades has been proven false again and again. Studies show that in many sectors of our economy, there is an acute need, not for university graduates, but for people to work in the trades and services.

Employers are no longer looking for those with polished credentials with little or no experience to contribute. Many employers will prefer to employ an entrepreneur with a proven track record of attempts at succeeding at a business than candidates who wait for a job to come along that matches their good grade status.

Most people learn best outside of the classroom.

Some people prefer learning by doing — working, exploring, creating, or otherwise doing things in the real world. Learning via textbook is tedious and boring to such ones and no matter how hard they try, they just know they are not into it but since it is what is expected of them, they hang in there wasting a huge chunk of the most productive period of their life away. These set mostly come out with low grades but when they find their passion, they excel very well in life.

What are the alternatives?

First class self-development
Strong entrepreneurial undertaken
Start up something and be an employer
Gain inspiration from those who have done it

So whether you graduated with a first class, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 or even a certificate of attendance or dropped out, you can do a first class job and add value to any organisation you find yourself. Better still, darn the job search mentality and stop polishing a shiny and impressive CV, rather create a product or service, build a business and give your business a first class attention while rendering first class services to your customers. Yes YOU Can Make It Happen not your grade.

Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by spiritualmubi: 9:14pm On Sep 13, 2021
Nice one op. Please help advise me, am currently in 300lvl tho am gonna be done in two years time, it is a four years course though but I differed a semester due to an episode of illness. Am having severe brain fog and I hardly assimilate or even process information from materials and even from the lecturer while he is teaching, have tried exercise, sleep and diet but to no avail, my parents are of the idea that is more spiritual. Due to this brain fog, I often become depressed and even attempted quitting once. My question now is, should I quit and start a business (though capital is a problem) or I should continue with the programme? if you advice me to quit, what should be my next line of action to avoid idleness and depression due to quitting my degree programme?
Your response will be highly appreciated
Thanks for your time Sir.
Re: Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life by spiritualmubi: 4:43pm On Sep 17, 2021
buemene:
This post is coming at the hills of a post featured here a few days back: https://www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1

I have very high regard for excellence at what one does, academic excellence not being the least of them. I would also encourage all undergrads who are still in school and who have chosen a job as their career path to do all they can to get the golden ticket to a good job - 2.1+.

My personal experience however, has taught me differently. While I was still an undergrad, I turned down three juicy job openings, one in the private sector and two with Govt organisation with pensionable benefits. The reason? I was determined to be a solutions provider and a job creator. So whenever I communicate with prospective clients and proffer solutions to common problems they face, they ended up wanting to employ me to add value to their organisations.

Even in my current position which I work as I finally decided to work for a while, I got the job beating several graduates with 2.1 qualifications while I was still an undergraduate (I graduated with 2.2 part time). All this with no connection or recommendation from any top Govt. Official.
I know several others in my city who have demonstrated entrepreneurial inkling that have turned down several job offers who do not have a university degree. No kidding.

The facts show that putting too much emphasis on pure academic excellence and good grades is diminishing the equally if not more important things any individual should pursue if they want to succeed in life.

Higher education and a degree is overrated and misleading.

Since secondary school leavers naturally aspire for a degree, that is where the problem begins. The trend today is for secondary schools to groom their students for higher education. To this end, most secondary schools focus on academic subjects that enable the students to score well in university entrance examinations rather than on courses that will equip the students for the workplace. Secondary school students today are under tremendous pressure from teachers, counselors, and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the best universities, where they will hopefully earn the degrees that can open for them doors to promising and well-paying jobs. This eventually denies them the most needed practical skills in real life. This continues throughout the university days.

A degree (good or bad) no longer guarantees a job

The popular opinion that for young people to succeed, the only option is to get a university education and come out with good grades has been proven false again and again. Studies show that in many sectors of our economy, there is an acute need, not for university graduates, but for people to work in the trades and services.

Employers are no longer looking for those with polished credentials with little or no experience to contribute. Many employers will prefer to employ an entrepreneur with a proven track record of attempts at succeeding at a business than candidates who wait for a job to come along that matches their good grade status.

Most people learn best outside of the classroom.

Some people prefer learning by doing — working, exploring, creating, or otherwise doing things in the real world. Learning via textbook is tedious and boring to such ones and no matter how hard they try, they just know they are not into it but since it is what is expected of them, they hang in there wasting a huge chunk of the most productive period of their life away. These set mostly come out with low grades but when they find their passion, they excel very well in life.

What are the alternatives?

First class self-development
Strong entrepreneurial undertaken
Start up something and be an employer
Gain inspiration from those who have done it

So whether you graduated with a first class, 2.1, 2.2, 3.0 or even a certificate of attendance or dropped out, you can do a first class job and add value to any organisation you find yourself. Better still, darn the job search mentality and stop polishing a shiny and impressive CV, rather create a product or service, build a business and give your business a first class attention while rendering first class services to your customers. Yes YOU Can Make It Happen not your grade.

Nice one op. Please help advise me, am currently in 300lvl tho am gonna be done in two years time, it is a four years course though but I differed a semester due to an episode of illness. Am having severe brain fog and I hardly assimilate or even process information from materials and even from the lecturer while he is teaching, have tried exercise, sleep and diet but to no avail, my parents are of the idea that is more spiritual. Due to this brain fog, I often become depressed and even attempted quitting once. My question now is, should I quit and start a business (though capital is a problem) or I should continue with the programme? if you advice me to quit, what should be my next line of action to avoid idleness and depression due to quitting my degree programme?
Your response will be highly appreciated
Thanks for your time Sir.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amazing, Lagos State Just Rewarded "Their Best Teachers" With Cars! / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don’t Exist In The Dictionary / When Your Results Are Mostly C_s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.