Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,428 members, 7,954,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:33 AM

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 (70187 Views)

My CGPA Is Low And I Need To Finish With 2.1 / He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Not Finish With A 2.1 To Succeed At A Job Or In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 11:39am On Sep 10, 2014
This piece is for those undergraduates that will like to seek for jobs after school but do not have solid connection. A 1st class or 2.1 will help you AVOID or ALLEVIATE the labour market frustration. Nevertheless, the ones that have influential parents, uncles and aunts can also take a cue from it because it is easier to help someone with a good result.

I am a recent graduate from a Nigerian Federal University. I finished with a strong 2.1 but I wish I made a 1st class. I would have made that First class if I were very hard working. I know many people are like me, they would have had better grades if they were more serious. What I'm saying in essence is that most of us are powerful beyond measures but we do not realize how powerful we could be.

Finishing with a 2.1 is just about having 3.5 out of total 5.0 CGPA. One can achieve this by mixing Bs with Cs in your courses. I had many friends that didn't have solid academic background, weren't very quick at learning but struggled to finish with 3.5, 3.6 after a lot of hard work. Not to talk of many of you that are sharp, it's just that you are too lazy. I was also a lazy brat but that's bygone because I've learnt my lessons.

As a result of the very high rate of unemployment in Nigeria, employers use all possible strategies to pre screen as many as possible applicants and the most popular is the class of degree.

9 out of every 10 Graduate Trainee adverts ask for a minimum of 2.1. The other thing they use in pre screening is age and many also require to have a minimum of 5 credits including maths and english @ one sitting for O'level.

Now let's analyze it: By the time KPMG, Ernst & Young, PWC, Akintola Deloitte, Shell, Chevron, Exxon Mobil, Total, Schlumberger, Diamond Bank, GTB, Zenith, First Bank, Nigerian Stock Exchange, P&G, Unilever, Honey well, Nestle, Cadbury, Guiness, Nigerian Breweries, Consolidated Breweries, PZ Cussons, etc all advertise graduate trainee positions and they all ask for a minimum of 2.1. How do you think someone that finished with a 2.2 will feel?

I'm currently observing NYSC and I've been applying for jobs. Many of my fellow corps members always ask me to share latest job openings with them but many of them have not been able to apply for any because they finished with below 2.1. I hope we all have an idea how frustrating this could be, for you not to have the privilege to prove yourself even when you might be better and more employable than some of us that finished with 2.1 and 1st class.

As I'm writing this piece, I have two friends that just got job offers from a reputable multinational company in Nigeria. Guess what? They are both still serving and will resume immediately after NYSC in October. You know what? One of them finished with a 1st class and the other with a strong 2.1.

I know some of you will ask about me, I'm also at the last stage of interview and I have reached some recruitment stages in other good companies. All I need is Almighty God's favour and your prayers can also help land a job offer in some days time *lol*.

Many of us have been misled. We've been made to believe that even if you finish with good grades, you still won't get a good job in Nigeria if you don't have connection. For those that will listen, I can confidently tell you that we still have Firms that act with INTEGRITY in Nigeria, Organizations that will hire you based on your abilities, Companies that will not compromise standards, Employers that will give you an offer without knowing even a gate man. Many Multinationals in Nigeria fall in that category. At least, I know of Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG) and Procter & Gamble(P&G). We have many others but those are the two I've had comprehensive experience with.

Finishing with a 2.1 is very easy only if one can put in the required effort and above all pray to God. For the atheists, just keep working hard, working smart and always have a destination. I know you will believe in God someday*lmao*

In Conclusion, one of the commonest things in life is seeing talented people that are unsuccessful. Many of us are gifted but we are just too lazy to make the best use of our potential. If Talent sleeps, Hard work will outshine Talent.

353 Likes 65 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by segunjowo(m): 11:42am On Sep 10, 2014
it is not a must joor. by the time u compare available openings with the number of 2.1 in town u will understand that 2.1 cant guarantee u a job, only ur extra skill outside classroom and God can help u.

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 11:54am On Sep 10, 2014
hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks
kindly send a pm
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Joy83(m): 12:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
That's a great one Op,
Majority of undergraduate would think life ends in school, not knowing that what they get from school determine a lot in their lives after school.
As a strong 2'1 graduate now looking forward to MSc, even without Job, I am confident that I have enough chances to get invitations from companies. But assuming, I am a 2'2 or third class graduate, it can be more frustrating by the time one is seeing various vacancies requesting for first class or 2'1.
As at today, no company will require for first class alone, but on the other hand, most companies require for minimum of 2'1.
Lesson to undergraduate: whatever you find your hand doing, do it well with all your heart.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2014
segunjowo: it is not a must joor. by the time u compare available openings with the number of 2.1 in town u will understand that 2.1 cant guarantee u a job, only ur extra skill outside classroom and God can help u.
Mr Segun, read my post again and you'll see I didn't contradict your opinion

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
Joy83: That's a great one Op,
Majority of undergraduate would think life ends in school, not knowing that what they get from school determine a lot in their lives after school.
As a strong 2'1 graduate now looking forward to MSc, even without Job, I am confident that I have enough chances to get invitations from companies. But assuming, I am a 2'2 or third class graduate, it can be more frustrating by the time one is seeing various vacancies requesting for first class or 2'1.
As at today, no company will require for first class alone, but on the other hand, most companies require for minimum of 2'1.
Lesson to undergraduate: whatever you find your hand doing, do it well with all your heard.
You really got my message

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by sunnydayasaba(m): 12:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
Well written piece, But i still think Age discrimination has also contributed to why some students don't even bother to strive to make a 2'1.

I have abt 4 friends who made strong 2'1 but bcus of age, They could hardly get a shortlisted for job test. They all got admission when they where abt 22yrs and before they could finish a 5 yrs course, They've spent abt 7yrs bcus of strick and slow shortlisting for NYSC too now there all above 30yrs. while most companies advertise jobs for a max age of 26-27yrs.

So this too dnt really motivate some people after calculating their age while in schl

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 10, 2014
Olutola88: kindly send a pm
I tried sending you an email its not submitting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 12:46pm On Sep 10, 2014
OpYzo, remove your email address to avoid mny unnecessary mails. I've sent you a mail
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by danduchi(m): 1:36pm On Sep 10, 2014
OP....I kw plenty people who finished with 2.2 and third class and are working in first class office.O boy shine your eyes,its either God helps you with ur first class or 2.2 or else you need to know somebody who knows another person who is married to that person and younger brother to the person who is a friend to the employer...in simple word,you need long leg

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by kaka22(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
@op... Well done, you are on point. To make at least 2.1 is not everything, it is the only thing. The issue of connection is over-exaggerated in Nigeria. Yes, we have issues like nepotism,favouritism and connections(who you know) but that doesn't mean that there are no companies that recruit based on merit. MOST people who come out to say that 'what you have in school will not determine where and who you will be in future' are the unfortunate and the unlucky. What you have in school will surely determine who and where you will be in future. If you later establish your company/business you can be rest assured that you still have your 2.1 or first class pali(certificate) to search for work when the need arises.Yes, we have some 2.2 and third class fellows that are making it but that doesn't mean that 2.1 fellows are also not making it. I make bold to say that the percentage of 2.2 and third class jobless fellows is more than that of 2.1 and first class. Even if you won't use your 2.1 to work, still make sure you have it because you never know...

Advice for undergraduates
Avoid anybody that discourages you from graduating with 2.1 or first class. Such individual doesn't wish you well. One of the laws in 48 laws of power says that avoid the unlucky and the unfortunate.

Last bullet: Yes, 2.1 or first class is not everything but make sure you have it before saying that nonsense... grin

113 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 1:45pm On Sep 10, 2014
danduchi: OP....I kw plenty people who finished with 2.2 and third class and are working in first class office.O boy shine your eyes,its either God helps you with ur first class or 2.2 or else you need to know somebody who knows another person who is married to that person and younger brother to the person who is a friend to the employer...in simple word,you need long leg
If you read my post well, you will see that I said this piece is mainly for those that do not have solid network. At the same time, a 2.1 or 1st class can guarantee you a job offer in a good company even without knowing anyone there. I also gave examples of my friends that got job offers even before the end of NYSC strictly on merit. One of them got the offer 3 weeks ago and the other got it 5 days ago

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Elevation(m): 1:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
3.5/5 × 100=70% this shows you've been working hard,it's a good sign when u are employed u'll be serious with things placed in your care,however there is what we call probation period if you actually don't perform according to your academic prowess,u knw the rest.Furthermore pls get a REQUIRED SKILL that can improve the state of a firm,then u'll be appreciated the more. A (2.2 or third class) grad. will definitely be considered if he/she is specially skilled,for the undergees still in the varsity pls STUDY HARD.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by greatestman(m): 1:54pm On Sep 10, 2014
Op well said, if you are still an undergraduate read well and get that 2.1. if you are already a graduate with less than 2.1 that is not the end of life develop yourself get certification, further your studies learn a skill (is not only limited to people that graduated with less than 2.1) and don't look back look forward.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Sijioke(m): 2:03pm On Sep 10, 2014
Getting a job is not by first class, or second class upper.. It is by the grace of God.. I wonder why an illiterate would be a party chairman. And he would keep telin first class folks who are day dreaming of employment that he his more successful than them.. And u knw wat.. He is really saying the truth.. May God help us.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
Well said @ op. To all the undergeeees, there is this self joy when You graduate With a first class or a 2.1, in otherwords ; hardwork pays.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by nwaobitex: 2:51pm On Sep 10, 2014
shit

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by tutaboi(m): 2:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
OpYzo: hey dear I also finished with a strong 2:1 know I could have done better if I strived harder but dats bygone. I am also finishing NYSC in october and have not gotten any thing, been using jobberman since nothing...can u link me.Thanks

SHOW URSELF!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by idee91: 2:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sijioke: Getting a job is not by first class, or second class upper.. It is by the grace of God.. I wonder why an illiterate would be a party chairman. And he would keep telin first class folks who are day dreaming of employment that he his more successful than them.. And u knw wat.. He is really saying the truth.. May God help us.
Y=a+bx where
A= Gods grace
B= ur effort( 3rd class, 2:2, 2:1, 1st class)
Y= Employment
Therefore, the bigger a+bx is, the better ur chances of employment.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 3:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
Sijioke: Getting a job is not by first class, or second class upper.. It is by the grace of God.. I wonder why an illiterate would be a party chairman. And he would keep telin first class folks who are day dreaming of employment that he his more successful than them.. And u knw wat.. He is really saying the truth.. May God help us.
don't forget that heaven helps those who help themselves
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by MissBritney(f): 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2014
segunjowo: it is not a must joor. by the time u compare available openings with the number of 2.1 in town u will understand that 2.1 cant guarantee u a job, only ur extra skill outside classroom and God can help u.
A 2.1 guarantees you a job more than a 2.2 will do but you gave a good talk dear, extra skills and God will make things a lot easier.

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by rkarang: 4:32pm On Sep 10, 2014
@P&G the setting is meant to be merit, however it has been compromised by....... That's if you care to know.

I sat for BAT test and noticed the same irregularity. A lot of crazy stuffs happen in this country of ours. Though some folks still get jobs on merit, the percentage is relatively lower.

2years ago, a popular bank recruited some ND grads through an agent. The agent stated it clearly that its org will not accept Upper Credit/Distinction, that only LOWER CREDIT APPLICANTS should apply.

When I asked one of the successful applicants, he said "the org probably does not want Distinction folks that will keep searching for better offer/complaining about the terms of the contract". In short, many of the companies here want slaves......

@OP, good write-up tho smiley

7 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ajahexcel(m): 4:48pm On Sep 10, 2014
Nice post
For All Undergraduates and Postgraduate Students, You Can get a Scholarship if you are fully informed
Follow Here For PG Scholarships http://.com/tag/postgraduate-scholarships/
Follow here for Undergraduate Scholarships http://.com/tag/undergraduate-scholarships-2/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by awolola26(m): 4:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
What you said about making all credits at one sitting, so this means they won't accept a combined result or something??..enlighten me please my brutha

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by timijohnston: 5:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
Hello guys....

i know most of us here have heard about the board game monopoly. its a wonderful game and i enjoyed playing it growing up. Anyway id like for you guys to help me out.

What Strategies do you think would be good foR me to use in selling monopoly in Nigeria. BY THE WAY GUYS ITS MONOPOLY LAGOS STATE EDITION so im really excited about it!!!!

THANKS GUYS YOU'RE THE BEST!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Simplefaithy(m): 5:11pm On Sep 10, 2014
@OP nice writeup. to get work in naija go beyond first klass or 2.1 oooo. countless first klas holder dey with professional qualification Gan Neva see gud job. its by d grace of God and padipadi for d present naija wey we dey ooooo.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 5:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
awolola26: What you said about making all credits at one sitting, so this means they won't accept a combined result or something??..enlighten me please my brutha
YES! Many good companies will require you to have a minimum of 5 credits in one sitting. I went for an aptitude test in July, the girl that sat beside me wasn't allowed to write the test because she had a D7 in maths and she wasn't allowed to combine.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by ogbiodun(m): 5:17pm On Sep 10, 2014
gud.
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by awolola26(m): 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2014
Ha...abeg gimme your number if you are on whatsapp
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Haywhymido(m): 5:34pm On Sep 10, 2014
Well said, students shd try dia best n come out with gud grade n be happy with it no matter
Re: Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 by Olutola88(m): 5:36pm On Sep 10, 2014
awolola26: Ha...abeg gimme your number if you are on whatsapp
kindly send me a personal message

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Autopsy Result Of Sylvester Oromoni Junior Has Been Released (photos) / Zainab Aliyu Completes NYSC (Photos) / Nigerian University With The Best Hostel Facilities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.