Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (217800 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by koning: 9:09am On Sep 16, 2014
Ikemefuna

Chinomnazu

kosisochukwu

Nice names

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Toyex4real(m): 9:09am On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=officialcharlz]So i decided to share some nice names igbo people bear and their meaning. Feel free to add yours...

1. Obimnaetochukwu - My heart praises God.
This is a personal fave. also the name of a popular nigerian artiste. Though not so popular, this name's meaning signifies a great deal.

2. Chimamanda- My God can never fall/fail.
this name resounds the infallibility of God. also the name of famous nigerian writer Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie.

3. Chizutere- God sent.
a favorite among the igbo community, other versions include zicora, ziteora. it is also unisex.

4. kamsiyochukwu - literally means 'As i have asked God'.
this name is mostly given when a mother has gotten her heart desire as the name implies.

6. Ndidiamaka- Patience is a virtue.
It sure is. a female-based name which clearly states the importance of patience in having a child.

Others include-
7. Chukwuebuka- God is mighty.
8. Chibuikem- God is my strength.
9. Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things).
10. Chidindu- God lives.

Nice names.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by dammyjay93(m): 9:10am On Sep 16, 2014
saintneo:

Chi-ukwu = big God. Because two vowels can't be together, the "i" is truncated ..... Chukwu

Ukwu has several meanings depending on the accents on the vowels.

Úkwù = waist (but for perverts it is both waist and buttocks of lady)
Úkwú = big/large
Ükwü = leg

Ükwü gï a, ö ga-ebu úkwù úkwú = This your leg, can it support a big waist.
ukwu sarambala grin

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 16, 2014
Mettal: God is with the crowd. The Zimbabwean version is a variant in their local language,don't know about it . One superstar boxer's name is Dereck Chisora. They are one name but different meanings.

Nice one,I was thinking about Del Boy aka Dereck Chisora when I quoted you.I bet you tried to adapt that Zimbabwean name,then gave it an Igbo meaning..chiso ora or chiso igwe..chiso crowd.. grin...

God no de follow crowd for Igbo land..
Chi anyi aburo Mr follow follow grin
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by koning: 9:12am On Sep 16, 2014
jcmaiah: My Igbo name remains the sweetest Igbo name of all time... Chihurumnanya, but since I am male I changed it to Chukwuhurumnanya. In ancient Igbos a mans name don't start with Chi, rather Chukwu. A womans name can end with both chukwu or chi but cant start with it.
Example... Chima=female, chukwuma=male.
again some names that are 99% used by female has male users too.
Example... Chioma=female, Chukwuoma=male.
Chiamaka=female, Chukwuamaka=male.
Igbo name abuses are common in abia state and part of ebonyi. In abia u see a man bearing Chinyere or Chioma.

The biggest abuse from Abia or is it Imo is NGOZI for a man. I've met a couple of them. It's weird.

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sol2galay: 9:13am On Sep 16, 2014
Afrocatalyst: Do we have to put Chi in all the names. I need core igbo names pls for my unborn daughter.

Orji = Iroko tree/infallible
Okoro = male child
Agwu. = family shrine
Arusi = Diety
Onuhaegunam= peoples word shld not kill me
Obioha/Obiora = Heart of d people
Nwankwo. = Child born on nkwo day
Nweke = Child born on eke day

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lionduke(m): 9:17am On Sep 16, 2014
obianamma (namma )-came at the right time
chizara (zara )- God answered me.
ogomegbunam (gogo)-my good deed will not kill me
ojinnaka (ojinna )-he who prides with his father.
nwadike (dike )-son of a great man
nwanyieze (lolo )-the kings wife

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by kizaronto: 9:18am On Sep 16, 2014
ChiemelamChiemelam-My God has done good to me
Okezie-Perfectly made by God
Onyedinma-No one is perfect
Onyeacholam- Don't trouble me
Ekwueme- The doer of his words
Obinna-The father 's heart
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Arysexy(m): 9:19am On Sep 16, 2014
koning:

The biggest abuse from Abia or is it Imo is NGOZI for a man. I've met a couple of them. It's weird.

Abia has d highest abuse, I have a male friend that bears onyinye I was like wtf
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by oyomii(f): 9:20am On Sep 16, 2014
kaybiel2u: Kaybiel Is Also A Beautiful
what does it mean?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Praise5: 9:22am On Sep 16, 2014
For fun!
Ozunwanne-useless/foolish sibling
Anugbaajooso- when an animal run dangerously, you shoot with a dangerous gun.
Ikeuwagwum- I'm tired of this life.

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ephi123(f): 9:23am On Sep 16, 2014
Does any one know what the name Adadiora'nma means?

It's such a beautiful name but I've got no idea what it means. It's not as common as Adaobi, or Adanma.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Phrankin(m): 9:25am On Sep 16, 2014
VivyGift: What is the meaning of Chekwube?
Hope
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by mezebel(f): 9:26am On Sep 16, 2014
Chidi- there is God o!
Ikechukwu- God's power
Ifeayichukwu- nothing pass God
Maduforo- there is people in the earth
Oluchukwu- God hand work
Amarachi - God's Grace
Onyeyirichi - who is like Jehovah
Oluomachi - God's good work
Ihuoma - Fortune
Nwayioma- good girl
Chukwuemeka(emeka) God has done great
Chinecherem- God think of me
Chimatara- God knows
Nna-father among other
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by repogirl(f): 9:26am On Sep 16, 2014
Obioma - good heart
Chiedozie- God has settled it all
onyinyechi- God's gift

my kids names
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Mettal: 9:29am On Sep 16, 2014
gbosaa:

Nice one,I was thinking about Del Boy aka Dereck Chisora when I quoted you.I bet you tried to adapt that Zimbabwean name,then gave it an Igbo meaning..chiso ora or chiso igwe..chiso crowd.. grin...

God no de follow crowd for Igbo land..
Chi anyi aburo Mr follow follow grin
grin
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Mchugh(m): 9:30am On Sep 16, 2014
kahanma: Hello guys, please help a brother to pass his project. I need more visitors to this site to advance in my project please. You can also share with your friends if possible. The more visitors I get, the more chance of advancing to he next stage.
Am a final year student in business marketing studying in Russia. Please help me. Just by opening the link that's all I need. Thanks
http://atzo.visittomoney.ru/63677/5177687/
Thanks much and God bless ya all.

Forgive me for diverting your attention.

Bro..i just did... PLS kindly return the favour... im also working on my MA project...pls click on d link below..and just comment..pls.
https://www.nairaland.com/1904566/research-use-emoticons-emoji...please-step

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Sammyblaq(m): 9:31am On Sep 16, 2014
priscaoge: Chimaobim
Chinaecherem
Udochukwu
thanx for including ma name...

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Onwanlen: 9:32am On Sep 16, 2014
I have a lot if Ibo pals and I love them die. Great minded peeps. But I also find that the Ibo own the below listed names. If anyone can help with the meaning.

1. Calistus

2. Vitus

3. Paulinus

4. Cyracus

5. Ignatus

5 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Vikthor(m): 9:32am On Sep 16, 2014
koning:

..its Abia especially....leave IMO out of it...
#Team Imo#

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Phrankin(m): 9:39am On Sep 16, 2014
phadat:
is that the meaning of okwudili, tried asking around for the meaning and got lots of interpretation and I thought okwu in Igbo is word guess that name is confusing
Okwudili(chukwu) simply means let the issue (okwu) be for(dili) for God(Chukwu) . Okwu means speech, word or matter/issue depending on the context in which it was used.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 9:42am On Sep 16, 2014
It's Iheanyi not Ifeanyi,ndi etiti uzo.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by phadat(m): 9:43am On Sep 16, 2014
DeeMain:

Okwudili means let this case/matter/quarrel/accusation/argument be left to God or let God settle this matter.
thanks for the clarification , more like what I was told

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 9:44am On Sep 16, 2014
No Abia man can be named Ngozi,Ndi etiti uzo unu gegbu nmadu.

Vikthor:
..its Abia especially....leave IMO out of it...
#Team Imo#
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by gatiano(m): 9:49am On Sep 16, 2014
i am not igbo, see beautiful names, names that are powerful and wonderful at the same time, all african names are like that, not all those macfish, renfield, frankie etc.

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by dam007(m): 9:49am On Sep 16, 2014
Odilafta: Mgbechikwere= When God permits

Mgbeke or Mgbee= cheesy

Ekwutosinammadibegi= Don't condemn your neigbour
whatttt??
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by priscaoge(f): 9:51am On Sep 16, 2014
Sammyblaq:
thanx for including ma name...
Uwc! Which of them is ur name?grin
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lepasharon(f): 9:51am On Sep 16, 2014
The name Amechi is not igbo right ?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lepasharon(f): 9:52am On Sep 16, 2014
I will love to learn more about Igbo culture smiley
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by priscaoge(f): 9:53am On Sep 16, 2014
Onwanlen: I have a lot if Ibo pals and I love them die. Great minded peeps. But I also find that the Ibo own the below listed names. If anyone can help with the meaning.

1. Calistus

2. Vitus

3. Paulinus

4. Cyracus

5. Ignatus
But d names u just mentioned are not 'Igbo' namesundecided
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by priscaoge(f): 9:55am On Sep 16, 2014
lepasharon: The name Amechi is not igbo right ?
It's Igbo name. I think d full pronunciation of that name is..'Onyemaechi' and It means..'Who knows tomorrow'. People that bear that name are also called..'Meche'
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sol2galay: 9:55am On Sep 16, 2014
ephi123: Does any one know what the name Adadiora'nma means?

It's such a beautiful name but I've got no idea what it means. It's not as common as Adaobi, or Adanma.

Adadioramma means a daughter cherished by the people. Are u an Ibibio if i may ask?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Please, Teach Me Efik/ibibio (calabar/akwa-ibom) Language. / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men / Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.