Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion (2366 Views)

Remebering Col.adekunle A Must Read / Black Scorpion Adekunle’s Regrets, Bosom Friend, Don Aki Recalls - 20/9/2014 / Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by peleson: 8:02pm On Sep 14, 2014
Before You Immortalise The Black scorpion, wait.

Julius Bokoru

Col Benjamin Adekunle (The Black Scorpion) was no hero during the civil war days. He was, instead, a sly character who was as dishonest as the word. He was no military genius and the glories that seems to hang over him was stolen from a man murdered 44 years ago- Isaac Boro.

Col Benjamin Adekunle was assigned to the '3 Infantry Division' in the early stages of the Nigerian Civil War. The 3 Infantry Division was stretched across rivers, lakes, mangrove swamps and sparse settlements of minority tribes. Due to the geography of the terrain, Col Adekunle had more marine combat than land combat so, understandably, although without the permission of Army HQ, Adekunle renamed the 3 Infantry Division the 3rd Marine Commando. The 3rd Marine Commando were the most active unit of the Nigerian Army. They conducted the most succesful amphibious military operations in the Islands of the Niger Delta and were the group who expelled Biafran forces from the Southern tip of the country.

Initially the 3rd Marine Commando was mesmerized by the Biafrans who occupied most of the lands. In fierce fightings the commando units were almost pushed into the Atlantic ocean or back to the midwest because the bulk of the soldiers were Northerners and Westerners who knew nothing about the terrain they were fighting in.

It was Adaka Boro's unit that launched succesful counter-attacks and invasion of almost every town and city in the southernmost parts of Nigeria while col. Adekunle, far removed from the front, went to the media to take glory. But even the media, and other Army leaders too began to see who the real hero was behind the 3rd Marine commando.
Gen. Obasanjo in his book 'my command' wrote 'Eket. Here, Boro and his Rivers men of sea school Boys had become a significant factor in the operations of the division. Their knowledge of the riverine creeks, their understanding of the local languages, their ability to live off the land accounted for their huge success in areas around Opobo, Andoni, Obodo, Epolom, Oranga, Buguma and etc'
Etc here meant that the territories Boro seized were beyond Obasanjo's count. There was no 3rd Marine Commando without Boro, everyone knew that, including Adekunle himself. Adekunle felt diminished by Boro's successes and influence, Adekunle knew Boro was set to become the greatest Nigerian soldier if the war ended as things were and he (Adekunle) would be relegated to the most obscure parts of history. He was an ambitious man, who according to Obasanjo 'was using the war to position himself for post war appointments'. Adekunle would have done anything to change his fate. He did just anything. And till date he stands accused for the murder of Isaac Boro.

In May 9th 1968 Boro's unit had just concluded a succesful invasion of Okrika and environs in Rivers state. Boro was in Ogui, a small Okrika village, inspecting the level of success there when all of a sudden Boro was shot and killed by a gunman who was never caught.
Not long after, Adekunle, in a shabby gathering of soldiers, announced, to everyones dismay that 'Boro has been killed by the Biafran forces at Okrika...'
According to reports from army sources and natives then, Okrika had already been free from every single Biafran threat in the offensive. Okrika, like every Southern tribe (Apart from the Efik and Ibibios) were supportive and friendly to the Nigerian forces. Boro could not have been killed by a single Biafran soldier in a town controlled by Nigerian soldiers and peopled by die-hard anti-Biafrans.

Boro's closest friends in the army have all insisted that Boro was shot by a soldier loyal to Benjamin Adekunle. In more direct terms, Benjamin Adekunle killed Isaac Boro. If this logic is true, then contrary to what most Westerners believe, the Biafrans didn't kill Boro and contrary to what most Easterners believe, Yakubu Gowon didn't kill Boro. Col Adekunle obviously had ambitions, like Obasanjo said. His ambitions were not pan-Yoruba or pan- Nigeria, his ambitions were pan-Adekunle. He created a legend of himself from another mans glory and eliminated the only threat to his falsehoods: Isaac Boro
Truth is too sleek to be completely erased. Sensing Adekunle's involvement in the mysterious death of Isaac Boro, the gallant men of the 3rd Marine commando immediately splintered in rebellion and anarchy. Col Adekunle lost control of the unit and was subsequently transferred. Obasanjo was his successor and it was he who aptly described the state of the 3rd Marine commando after Boro's death 'The moral of the soldiers of the 3rd Marine Commando Divisiom was at its lowest ebb. Desertion and absence from duty without leave was rife'
Even under the command of Obasanjo the 3rd Marine commando became a shadow of its Boro days, only not as rebellous as the last days of Adekunle

On september 13 2014, col Benjamin Adekunle (The Black Scorpion) died aged 78. For many, this could be the end of the Boro investigation. But there are a few, like me, who wants to unearth the killer(s) of Isaac Boro, whether living or dead and to tell the world that Isaac Boro, not Benjamin Adekunle, was the hero of the 3rd Marine Commando.
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Ngwakwe: 8:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
Both of them are War criminals who deviated from keeping to professional ethics and rule of war.

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
Boro's closest friends in the army have all insisted that Boro was shot by a soldier loyal to Benjamin Adekunle. In more direct terms, Benjamin Adekunle killed Isaac Boro. If this logic is true, then contrary to what most Westerners believe, the Biafrans didn't kill Boro and contrary to what most Easterners believe, Yakubu Gowon didn't kill Boro.

Lol. Historical revisionism! People should avoid the "Ifs" of history, it's a dangerous ground for intellectuals to explore.

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by LordMecuzy(m): 8:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
Confusion Everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 14, 2014
Not long after, Adekunle, in a shabby gathering of soldiers, announced, to everyones dismay that 'Boro has been killed by the Biafran forces at Okrika...'
According to reports from army sources and natives then, Okrika had already been free from every single Biafran threat in the offensive. Okrika, like every Southern tribe (Apart from the Efik and Ibibios) were supportive and friendly to the Nigerian forces. Boro could not have been killed by a single Biafran soldier in a town controlled by Nigerian soldiers and peopled by die-hard anti-Biafrans.

Boro's closest friends in the army have all insisted that Boro was shot by a soldier loyal to Benjamin Adekunle. In more direct terms, Benjamin Adekunle killed Isaac Boro. If this logic is true,
The circumstances that surrounds Boro's death is still a mystery and opinions are divided. I strongly believe that Obasanjo LIED when he 1ndicted Adekunle of Boro's death. I believe that it was a Biafran that shot Major Adaka Boro due the the heavy blow he dealth on them. There ofcourse may be one or two conspirators. Now whether Adekunle had a hand? I Strongly disbelieve but I may be wrong. Anyway, Boro Adaka is a BRAVE soldier then and he's a hero to the entire Ijaw Nation and Niger Delta.
His command was under the supervision of Adekunle, hence, Adekunle earns our respect. That Victory dance that Adekunle, Boro and the others danced in Okrika is in the memory of those that witnessed it till this day.

God bless Boro
God bless Adekunle
God Bless Izon
God bless Nigeria

***Haters Go and Die or flee like that bearded he-goat Ojukokoro

5 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by JuanDeDios: 8:37pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ngwakwe: Both of them are War criminals who deviated from keeping to professional ethics and rule of war.
What war crimes did they commit? I hope you're not confusing them with Murtala Mohammed and co?

1 Like

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
ProfCorruption:

Lol. Historical revisionism! People should avoid the "Ifs" of history, it's a dangerous ground for intellectuals to explore.
You mind those revisionists?

1 Like

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ngwakwe: Both of them are War criminals who deviated from keeping to professional ethics and rule of war.
I understand your feelings grin

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by 1ReBoRn: 8:41pm On Sep 14, 2014

War crimes indeed. You guys talk like your Biafran soldier didnt kill anyone during the war. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Ngwakwe: 8:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
JuanDeDios:
What war crimes did they commit? I hope you're not confusing them with Murtala Mohammed and co?

Is Adekunle not the one that commanded his troops to fire everything that moves?
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by anago900: 9:43pm On Sep 14, 2014

rubbish coming from a bigoted hypocrite. if you don't ban me now and here, na amadioha go redesign your dentition formula to 0/0/0.

4 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Ngwakwe: 9:49pm On Sep 14, 2014
anago900:

rubbish coming from a bigoted hypocrite. if you don't ban me now and here, na amadioha go redesign your dentition formula to 0/0/0.

I never banned anybody for insulting me personally, so why should it start now?
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by arantess: 9:59pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Is Adekunle not the one that commanded his troops to fire everything that moves?
yes ooo....shooting at trees every 50yrds
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by omololu2020(m): 10:10pm On Sep 14, 2014
If u feel brig Gen benjamin adekunle do not deserve any praise cos he wasnt on d battle front(which is not true),,den we all need to stop praisin ihejerika,,cox e didnt partake in any battle in d north east
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by jmaine: 10:13pm On Sep 14, 2014
arantess: yes ooo....shooting at trees every 50yrds

This shyte got me laughing real hard . . . . .
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by anago900: 10:14pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Ngwakwe:

Ngwakwe:

how are you coping with your new life as an ordinary member like me. I just laugh at the gross stupidity of you and your likes. used and dump mofos where is sexkid today.

3 Likes

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 14, 2014
anago900:

how are you coping with your new life as an ordinary member like me. I just laugh at the gross stupidity of you and your likes. used and dump mofos where is sexkid today.
grin
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 14, 2014
anago900:

Lmao grin
This is when the hunter becomes the hunted.
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by anago900: 10:30pm On Sep 14, 2014
Aigbofa:

Lmao grin

Aigbofa:

Lmao grin

I will make sure I turn a thorn in his flesh, till he stop posting on this section like dozzybaba and customized13.
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by kingthreat(m): 8:25am On Nov 22, 2014
Screw them all. Adekunle remains the dreadful black scorpion . RIP Great Odua Soldier.

Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by MudRaker: 8:32am On Nov 22, 2014
Treacherous people
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Ovamboland(m): 10:17am On Nov 22, 2014
I don't see how Boro's profile could be a threat to Adekunle who is the supreme commander of a whole division. There are more regular officers far senior to Boro in rank with far bigger responsibilities. At best Boro with his rank probably commanded a company while officers like Akirinade and Alabi-Isama commanded full battalions.
Not discouting Boro's passion and knowledge of the creeks and successes with the company he commanded, there is no way the victories of the 3MCDO can be ascribed to him alone.

Read Alabi-Isama's book Tragedy of Victory and see where he addressed the death of Adaka Boro as an eye witness. He was shot by a Biafran soldier straggling after the town fell according to the book
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 22, 2014
Ngwakwe:
Both of them are War criminals who deviated from keeping to professional ethics and rule of war.
They are war heros in my book. Atrocities were committed on both sides.
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 22, 2014
barcanista:

The circumstances that surrounds Boro's death is still a mystery and opinions are divided. I strongly believe that Obasanjo LIED when he 1ndicted Adekunle of Boro's death. I believe that it was a Biafran that shot Major Adaka Boro due the the heavy blow he dealth on them. There ofcourse may be one or two conspirators. Now whether Adekunle had a hand? I Strongly disbelieve but I may be wrong. Anyway, Boro Adaka is a BRAVE soldier then and he's a hero to the entire Ijaw Nation and Niger Delta.
His command was under the supervision of Adekunle, hence, Adekunle earns our respect. That Victory dance that Adekunle, Boro and the others danced in Okrika is in the memory of those that witnessed it till this day.

God bless Boro
God bless Adekunle
God Bless Izon
God bless Nigeria

***Haters Go and Die or flee like that bearded he-goat Ojukokoro
Obj's laziness in the war has been blown open by many officers at the time including alabi isama, obj was just trying to pull the black scorpion down.
Re: Before U Immortalise Col Adekunle Isaac Boro Is The Real Black Scorpion by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 22, 2014
Just btw bunmi okogie gave an independent analysis of the time, i believe him.

(1) (Reply)

Cracks As 7 Govs Shun Apc Meeting / PDP Has Already Lost The Feb. 14 Election / Diarisgodo! With Dis Kind Of Shoe That Buhari Is Wearing, Gej Go Run Leave Aso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.