Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

From Christianity To Deism And Back - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From Christianity To Deism And Back (4232 Views)

7 Satanic Strategies To Distract Man From Christianity / The Reasons People Convert From Christianity To Islam / Notable Western Converts From Christianity To Islam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Zikdik(m): 1:37pm On Sep 17, 2014
alexleo: @Uyi,

Experience remains the best teacher. What you experienced can only be best understood by you so asking atheists to advice you is not necessary. Each of us came into this life on different days, from different angles and we are going back differently. Whatever you choose to believe thats left for you.

What if God used the dream of your mum to speak to you knowing that she is the one that can best communicate with you in a way you will understand?

You cant tell the mysteries behind your birth more than your mum. You dont even know her dialogue with God concerning the kind of child she wants before you were born. You dont know whether she made a covenant with God before you were born. What if God is trying to honour the agreement by sending you the warnings in dreams and events surrounding it? I believe your mum has done her best in putting you on this track, the rest is left for you. God help you my brother.
One question: you believe in predestination?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by malvisguy212: 4:25pm On Sep 17, 2014
Zikdik:
Silence, not silent. Basic English Grammar.
ok, thanks for the correction.............as long as you understand my point, am good.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 9:15pm On Sep 17, 2014
I saw the beginning of this story and I don't know if this is the end. I doubt that it is.

Paul saw a vision of Jesus Christ glorified. But was that what saved him? I think it was what forced him to really consider if he had not been wrong the whole time. If there was no room for doubt then Paul could never have become a Christian.

As it is, even today, people are making excuses for Paul that he could have made based on his wide knowledge. He may have had a seizure. Perhaps he was struck by lightning and subsequently hallucinated. The human capacity for imagination is difficult to overestimate. Why did Paul believe that it was Jesus Christ he saw?

Why does anybody believe that they have been born again as children of God and saved from sin? Why do we believe at all?

If it is because we have weird experiences then just about anything that accommodates weird experiences is true. But as far as I know Christians are Christians because they believe that the God that the Bible talks about is not a liar.

4 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 17, 2014
If it is because we have weird experiences then just about anything that accommodates weird experiences is true. But as far as I know Christians are Christians because they believe that the God that the Bible talks about is not a liar.
shocked
grin grin grin
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by MizMyColi(f): 9:44pm On Sep 17, 2014

If you don't know where to go, just make sure you're following the right people.
That's how I got here.

Okay first off, without the english(es) attached to it, who is a deist? @UyiIredia

@Ihedinobi2, how do you reconcile the God of the old testament wit the God of the new testament?
Do you believe in eternal damnation?
Do you think Jesus would be any real to you without the bible?
Are you of the convinction that the bible is the word of God?

This would be the first time I'll be asking direct questions on religion.
The reason is obvious enough, I think
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Ubenedictus(m): 10:10pm On Sep 17, 2014
Strange thread...

Let me seat down and eat my pop corn

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 7:10am On Sep 18, 2014
MizMyColi:
If you don't know where to go, just make sure you're following the right people.
That's how I got here.

Okay first off, without the english(es) attached to it, who is a deist? @UyiIredia

@Ihedinobi2, how do you reconcile the God of the old testament wit the God of the new testament?
Do you believe in eternal damnation?
Do you think Jesus would be any real to you without the bible?
Are you of the convinction that the bible is the word of God?

This would be the first time I'll be asking direct questions on religion.
The reason is obvious enough, I think
Hey MizMyColi, good to see you here smiley

I reconcile "them" the same way you would reconcile the change in parental treatment of a kid when he is a child and when he has become an adult. It's the same God dealing with humanity at different stages of its development.

Yes, I do believe in eternal damnation.

It's hard to imagine not having the Bible. But I'm certain that if I never had it, Jesus would still find a way to make my acquaintance. I've never really seen reason to call His resourcefulness into question. But the Bible probably makes it a fuller experience.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Bible is the Word of God.

5 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by MizMyColi(f): 8:50am On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Hey MizMyColi, good to see you here smiley

I reconcile "them" the same way you would reconcile the change in parental treatment of a kid when he is a child and when he has become an adult. It's the same God dealing with humanity at different stages of its development.

Yes, I do believe in eternal damnation.

It's hard to imagine not having the Bible. But I'm certain that if I never had it, Jesus would still find a way to make my acquaintance. I've never really seen reason to call His resourcefulness into question. But the Bible probably makes it a fuller experience.

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Bible is the Word of God.

Goodmorning Ihedi smiley

I'm just all smiles.
And I'm happy, happy at the person I'm becoming.
I'm happy because even at the fact that I do not agree with your position or religion, I can still look at your post and feel warmth, love and compassion towards the person behind the post.

The emboldened is the only common ground we have in this regard.
I could go on and tell you what I believe or think, but I think that at this moment, it'd be an exercise in futility.
Trust me.
I asked you those questions out of sheer curiosity, I'd stumbled on your diary and your personality resonated a lot.

So, I followed my friend here, having seen a quote from him that sounded weird. Turns out he quoted you.
I saw you were viewing the thread too, so I spontaneously decided to ask you those questions.
Perhaps, you noticed a particular "like" from your diary at about 9-10, that was me.
I wanted to know more about where you're at in this journey of belief/unbelief.

I could deduce from your diary:
That you have a very kind heart, more like a heart of gold.
You do not like being a source of pain or hurt to people. If you ever get a hint that you do/did, you'd prolly go out of your way to make amends.
That there were times when you felt like you had it all together and other times, it felt like things were coming apart.
You like knowing that you're in a control of sorts.
You can't stand tatteredness (sic) of any kind.
You are very unselfish.

You've probably come across my posts as it pertains belief or unbelief.
I talked about it here. (It was more like a defending myself though).
I also created a thread where I talked about why I stopped believing in hell and eternal damnation.

What it is for us is what it is. cool

Let's keep giving each other grace.
grin

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 9:06am On Sep 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

Goodmorning Ihedi smiley

I'm just all smiles.
And I'm happy, happy at the person I'm becoming.
I'm happy because even at the fact that I do not agree with your position or religion, I can still look at your post and feel warmth, love and compassion towards the person behind the post.

The emboldened is the only common ground we have in this regard.
I could go on and tell you what I believe or think, but I think that at this moment, it'd be an exercise in futility.
Trust me.
I asked you those questions out of sheer curiosity, I'd stumbled on your diary and your personality resonated a lot.

So, I followed my friend here, having seen a quote from him that sounded weird. Turns out he quoted you.
I saw you were viewing the thread too, so I spontaneously decided to ask you those questions.
Perhaps, you noticed a particular "like" from your diary at about 9-10, that was me.
I wanted to know more about where you're at in this journey of belief/unbelief.

I could deduce from your diary:
That you have a very kind heart, more like a heart of gold.
You do not like being a source of pain or hurt to people. If you ever get a hint that you do/did, you'd prolly go out of your way to make amends.
That there were times when you felt like you had it all together and other times, it felt like things were coming apart.
You like knowing that you're in a control of sorts.
You can't stand tatteredness (sic) of any kind.
You are very unselfish.

You've probably come across my posts as it pertains belief or unbelief.
I talked about it here. (It was more like a defending myself though).
I also created a thread where I talked about why I stopped believing in hell and eternal damnation.

What it is for us is what it is. cool

Let's keep giving each other grace.
grin

Good morning dear.

Yeah I'd just left the thread then. Went to bed soon after.

I understand about the conflicts in comprehension or religio-philosophical realities. The reason that I bother with arguments is to make sure that each person knows exactly what the other believes and why and has a chance to let another person examine their stand for authenticity. I've been on Nairaland since 2011. I started to really engage in 2012 and I engaged a great deal across faiths, across philosophical persuasions and across doctrines. And I learned a lot and changed a lot in my walk with God because of the conflicts that I experienced.

Much of the disagreement served to make me ask God questions and think hard about His responses to them (He tends to answer questions with questions, but not all the time). And I've learned. However, I don't force a debate. I know that people are by default protective of their beliefs. So I only engage when someone is disposed to examining the foundations of their lives. After all, a cracked foundation means a ready-to-collapse life. And we are all yet in school even if some of us like to play truant.

Thanks for bothering with my diary. I've read yours (well, some of it really embarassed) too. And thank you for your kind comments. Whatever I am, it is the grace of God that is responsible. I'm still learning and having the character of Christ formed in me. Obviously, like you saw, I stumble in this journey. But God has never left my side. He has been giving me grace.

So why would I not share? smiley

I think that we (you and I) will still engage some over our points of disagreement, very likely in private. But that is of you're disposed to it, of course. smiley
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 18, 2014
@mizmycoli this is religion section. We login to fight here. We desecrate holy temples, exhaust the spirits of reason and logic with tired arguments. We slay all who believe in the other. Satanists, agnostics, paganatheists, confusians, atheists, catholics, bornagainsts, we dont care. We fight. That's all we know.

And Lucifer help us, if the day ever comes when we all live in peace, when satanists share holy communion with the christians at the lord's table, when agnostics finally pick a side, when pagans and muslims share a glass of wine......

5 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by MizMyColi(f): 9:15am On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Good morning dear.

Yeah I'd just left the thread then. Went to bed soon after.

I understand about the conflicts in comprehension or religio-philosophical realities. The reason that I bother with arguments is to make sure that each person knows exactly what the other believes and why and has a chance to let another person examine their stand for authenticity. I've been on Nairaland since 2011. I started to really engage in 2012 and I engaged a great deal across faiths, across philosophical persuasions and across doctrines. And I learned a lot and changed a lot in my walk with God because of the conflicts that I experienced.

Much of the disagreement served to make me ask God questions and think hard about His responses to them (He tends to answer questions with questions, but not all the time). And I've learned. However, I don't force a debate. I know that people are by default protective of their beliefs. So I only engage when someone is disposed to examining the foundations of their lives. After all, a cracked foundation means a ready-to-collapse life. And we are all yet in school even if some of us like to play truant.

Thanks for bothering with my diary. I've read yours (well, some of it really embarassed) too. And thank you for your kind comments. Whatever I am, it is the grace of God that is responsible. I'm still learning and having the character of Christ formed in me. Obviously, like you saw, I stumble in this journey. But God has never left my side. He has been giving me grace.

So why would I not share? smiley

I think that we (you and I) will still engage some over our points of disagreement, very likely in private. But that is of you're disposed to it, of course. smiley

I'm Game! cheesy

I have a reason to be frightened though angry.

I hate Arguments and Disagreements. cheesy Especially the confrontational kind, which is what religious arguments tends to gravitate to(wards).

I fear it might get to a point where I'm no longer able to find my way back to them i.e, relating with them based on their personality, not their belief or unbelief.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by MizMyColi(f): 9:19am On Sep 18, 2014
Hi SonOfLucifer cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I didn't know you mentioned me already.
I was going to say Hi, seeing as I saw you were viewing the thread.
I scrolled up and saw your post.

Thankfully, my boss isn't around yet.
Cos I laughed pretty hard at seeing your post.

Hey!angry

Impossible is nothing!

#Believe

grin grin grin
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 9:54am On Sep 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

I'm Game! cheesy

I have a reason to be frightened though angry.

I hate Arguments and Disagreements. cheesy Especially the confrontational kind, which is what religious arguments tends to gravitate to(wards).

I fear it might get to a point where I'm no longer able to find my way back to them i.e, relating with them based on their personality, not their belief or unbelief.

If only life were not so full of risks, right? cheesy

I think it's worth it. What do you think?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by MizMyColi(f): 9:56am On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
If only life were not so full of risks, right? cheesy

I think it's it might be worth it. What do you think?

cheesy cheesy
I think so too! grin
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Kay17: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2: I saw the beginning of this story and I don't know if this is the end. I doubt that it is.

Paul saw a vision of Jesus Christ glorified. But was that what saved him? I think it was what forced him to really consider if he had not been wrong the whole time. If there was no room for doubt then Paul could never have become a Christian.

As it is, even today, people are making excuses for Paul that he could have made based on his wide knowledge. He may have had a seizure. Perhaps he was struck by lightning and subsequently hallucinated. The human capacity for imagination is difficult to overestimate. Why did Paul believe that it was Jesus Christ he saw?

Why does anybody believe that they have been born again as children of God and saved from sin? Why do we believe at all?

Because the average Christian is superstitious. Religion is a form of superstition, so it is not unusual for Uyi Iredia to experience seizure like reactions and want to believe it is a religio-spiritual communication.

The human capacity for drama is unprecedented among all life.

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 10:08am On Sep 18, 2014
Kay17:

Because the average Christian is superstitious. Religion is a form of superstition, so it is not unusual for Uyi Iredia to experience seizure like reactions and want to believe it is a religio-spiritual communication.

Hmm

Sounds to me like you just made a whole bunch of assumptions. What makes you say that religion is a form of superstition?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 18, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Ahhhhh....please!, dont pressure him into identifying with any label.

I am the last person to pressure anyone to belong anywhere. I am only concerned that he allows himself be tossed about or so it seems. When Uyi came back to Christianity I asked him specifically if he has gone past what made him leave in the first place. It's obvious that he hasn't.

My words may seem uncharitable but being a man is more about knowing who you are, what you want, having a firm conviction of your beliefs and sticking to it.

This is not saying peeps don't make mistakes in terms of what they believe in but when the mistake is realised, we pick ourselves up and move forward without looking back.

Uyi's case is just like a student who changes an answer to a question in an exam more than two times.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by lastmessenger: 11:30am On Sep 18, 2014
In the innermost dept of my consciousness,I long for the day when man will be cured of his confusion.when all will come to the full realization of the reason of their existence.every breath in me prays for that day to arrive and free us from this ghetto where confusion rules above all men.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by texanomaly(f): 12:43pm On Sep 18, 2014
Kay17:

What is your story? Do you have a deconversion story? You never give anything away, which makes me want to hear the story even more. Hmmm
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Kay17: 5:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Hmm

Sounds to me like you just made a whole bunch of assumptions. What makes you say that religion is a form of superstition?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstition

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
Kay17:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstition
Surely you have a reasoned argument of your own, right?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by BodyKiss(m): 6:34pm On Sep 18, 2014
Oduduwaboy: Uyi !!! i missed you here!!!
So how is church?
Atheists have no business preaching to anyone to de- convert; choose your path as reason serves you. One thing i know though, is that, you can no more be a true christian because you tend to apply reason to issues a lot while christianity is about total faith which is a total denial of reason. Its still a lose-lose situation for you because according to the bible you will most likely still find yourself in hell-fire! am sorry but that is the truth.

Couldn't stop laughing. See reasoning.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Kay17: 7:15pm On Sep 18, 2014
texanomaly:

What is your story? Do you have a deconversion story? You never give anything away, which makes me want to hear the story even more. Hmmm

Not quite a long story. I was originally a Christian, but once I adopted an healthy skepticism towards my religion, it fell apart in pieces. Of course, the change wasn't mild but a fundamental change in my outlook on life.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by texanomaly(f): 7:31pm On Sep 18, 2014
Kay17:

Not quite a long story. I was originally a Christian, but once I adopted an healthy skepticism towards my religion, it fell apart in pieces. Of course, the change wasn't mild but a fundamental change in my outlook on life.

Was it difficult to give it up completely in the beginning? Were you completely converted at any time? Did you ever wish you hadn't started down the path of doubt? Did it feel lonely at first?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 18, 2014
so lemme get this straight.

Experiencing some form of unusual occurrence, which transcends beyond what the average person would term as normal..is a way that the Christian God reveals himself?

Can someone tell me how the Muslim God reveals himself to Muslim extremists? surely there must be a voice in their head urging them on their quest.

Just saying.

3 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Kay17: 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2014
ihedinobi2:
Surely you have a reasoned argument of your own, right?

Life can be much simpler. You accused me of making hasty assumptions from thin air and I bring a formal source of "authority" and now I'm being accused for the lack of originality.

Shouldn't you be satisfied that religions are superstitions?!

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 18, 2014
UyiIredia: if there's a doctor here I would like to hear his take. But even then I have seen skilled doctors testify of things that atheists outrightly deny. Out of body experiences are quite common and have been testified of by doctors operating on brain-dead patients. Yet atheists deny them.

Tell me this please. Is God termed to be partial? why then do these experiences have to happen to a certain group of people. Isn't everyone supposed to feel the Christian God's presence? independently too?. Bear it in mind that these people were of Christian backgound.

Now if such an experience is to happen to a non-Christian (say Muslim or Buddhist or Taoist..etc), who never knew who Jesus was, would this non-Christian therefore conclude that the Christian God has visited him/her, thereby making him/her convert to Christian?

I need answers please.

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by ihedinobi2: 8:52pm On Sep 18, 2014
Kay17:

Life can be much simpler. You accused me of making hasty assumptions from thin air and I bring a formal source of "authority" and now I'm being accused for the lack of originality.

Shouldn't you be satisfied that religions are superstitions?!
To avoid splitting hairs I won't talk about whether I accused you of anything or not. Rather, let's go straight to the heart of the matter.

I asked you in a straightforward manner what made you say what you said. You promptly provided an authority. What exactly was the provision of an authority supposed to accomplish?

I was asking exactly why you held an opinion and you essentially told me "because this here dude says..." Am I supposed to ask the dude to defend your opinion after that? Or are you expecting me to be cowed by the dude and end my questioning because you called him?

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by honeychild(f): 9:14pm On Sep 18, 2014
@Uyi
I would suggest you lay a strong foundation for your Christianity. Study your Bible. A faith based on your personal experience is shaky. Personal experience can be manipulated by others....our senses can be easily deceived.

That's why I was so excited about your Bible reading posts...Please go back and study. A faith based on the clear understanding of the simple truths in the Bible is not easily shaken.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by texanomaly(f): 9:19pm On Sep 18, 2014
honeychild: @Uyi
I would suggest you lay a strong foundation for your Christianity. Study your Bible. A faith based on your personal experience is shaky. Personal experience can be manipulated by others....our senses can be easily deceived.

That's why I was so excited about your Bible reading posts...Please go back and study. A faith based on the clear understanding of the simple truths in the Bible is not easily shaken.

*sighs*
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 18, 2014
texanomaly:

*sighs*
Now you know how we feel about Bible thumpers.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 10:59pm On Sep 18, 2014
masonkz:

Tell me this please. Is God termed to be partial?

No. God is just.

masonkz: why then do these experiences have to happen to a certain group of people. Isn't everyone supposed to feel the Christian God's presence? independently too?. Bear it in mind that these people were of Christian backgound.

Actually it happens to a variety of people spanning different religions. You may read up on near-death experiences for instance. Hindus have had theirs as Christians too, even atheists.

masoknz: How if such an experience is to happen to a non-Christian (say Muslim or Buddhist or Taoist..etc), who never knew who Jesus was, would this non-Christian therefore conclude that the Christian God has visited him/her, thereby making him/her convert to Christian?

That is up to the person. In some cases they do. Believe me when I say that my Dad slept as a pagan and woke up the next day as a Christian after dreaming of heaven and Jesus Christ who showed it to him. Some don't eg my grandfather, who despite prayers and sermons didn't convert since nothing of that sort happened to him.

masoknz: I need answers please.
I have given them as honestly as I can.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Open Your Heart To Lucifer / I Love That Man Of Galilee, For He Has Done So Very Much For Me / The Sins (or Crimes) Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.