Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (30967 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by chelseabmw(m): 6:42am On Sep 17, 2014
PRETORIA - South African President Jacob Zuma announced Tuesday that 67 South Africans died in a building collapse in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos.

"I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries, after a building at the Synagogue Church of All Nations collapsed on Friday," Zuma said in statement to the nation.

Rescuers say the church's hostel, which housed Nigerian and foreign followers of a popular preacher and televangelist, T.B. Joshua, had been overburdened by the construction of additional floors.

At least five South African church tour groups were at the Synagogue at the time of the collapse, according to officials.

The number of South African dead exceeds the previously known toll for the disaster, a grim signal that the number of fatalities may rise further.

Zuma said South Africa was grieving after the tragedy nearly a continent away.

"Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country.

"Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues that have lost their loved ones in this heart-breaking tragedy.

"The whole nation shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones. We are all in grief."

Zuma said he had ordered government departments to help family members get to Nigeria to identify the bodies of their loved ones, and repatriate the remains as soon as possible.

http://www.enca.com/67-south-africans-killed-nigeria-church-collapse

http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/67-south-africans-dead-in-nigeria-collapse-1.1751888

http://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/67-South-African-killed-in-Nigeria-church-collapse-20140916

http://m.mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2014-09-16-zuma-67-south-africans-dead-in-nigeria-church-collapse#.VBkfNmrRZxs

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by chelseabmw(m): 6:44am On Sep 17, 2014
This is very painful embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Kei144(m): 6:49am On Sep 17, 2014
chelseabmw: Rescuers say the church's hostel, which housed Nigerian and foreign followers of a popular preacher and televangelist, T.B. Joshua, had been overburdened by the construction of additional floors.

Not caused by a jet, neither by Boko Haram; but simply by the fact that the building was overburdened by construction of additional floors. This is the engineering assessment of the situation.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 6:49am On Sep 17, 2014
The pastors ist still silent.

I feel that there will be more death bodies found the next day.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by AfricanApple(f): 6:51am On Sep 17, 2014
may their souls RIP

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by chelseabmw(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
nora544: The pastors ist still silent.

I feel that there will be more death bodies found the next day.

That is the problem... I don't understand why he will be so silent... nothing coming out from the church yet

With all due respect this is Nonsense

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by justi4jesu(f): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
RIP cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by iheanyi40(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
R.I.P to d dead sad

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by datbay(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
RIP
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by CharlieMaria(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
RIP to the dead.

Blood sacrifice things... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by ggrin(f): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
Oma se o angryangry

12 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Afrocatalyst: 6:53am On Sep 17, 2014
And they said 59.

If S. African are 67, then other nationals and Nigerians could be how many?

Na wa o. The death toll might reach 150 o. God forbid.

8 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by johnstar(m): 6:54am On Sep 17, 2014
dis man don go renew him jazz.... na wa o|| so y didn't d man predict is building dat collapse

8 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Youngzedd(m): 6:54am On Sep 17, 2014
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Begino1: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2014
May their souls rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by gbaskiboy: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2014
What a painful death! Those seeking miracle end up seeing miraculous death. Oma shey oo

5 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
So sad......T.B said he was d target of d atak

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by phransix147(m): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
Shebi dem dey go sokoto to find wetin dey dia shokoto. Sad tho!

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by MissTeaseMe(f): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
Chai!!!
This is really sad. More serious than i anticipated.
Chelseabmw, nice seeing you reporting a News outside auto section smiley

I hope the next news wont be

Breaking News 58 Liberians and 32 people from Guinue, dead in the SCOAN collapsed building

Come see how all rescue workers go run grin

(Looks like a joke but very possible they are there) undecided

3 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
Who's lying now,and why conflicting figures in casualty.

The collapsed building should be probed,and sentiment removed in delivering sanction to anyone found wanting,church,or no church.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Gboliwe: 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
The total death recorded according to Nigeria is what again? cry

Clearly, someone skipped nursery school.

RIP to the dead. It is such an unfortunate event.

5 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
chelseabmw:

That is the problem... I don't understand why he will be so silent... nothing coming out from the church yet

With all due respect this is Nonsense

All he make was first it was the plain and when this was not working it was Boko haram but when I see the first video I know that is was the construction of the building, you cannot put on a 2 storey building 4 more storeys, that is not possible.

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by MissTeaseMe(f): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2014
phransix147: Shebi dem dey go sokoto to find wetin dey dia shokoto
People dey waka o my brother. sad undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 17, 2014

shocked shocked shocked

R I P to them. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by lovinhubby2wife(m): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2014
lagos houses collapsing since 24bc

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Tikitaka(m): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2014
very very sad indeed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cameroon Re-Elects 89-Year-Old Marcel Niat Njifenji, As Senate President / Heat Wave: Fire Errupts In Upminster, London / Las Vegas Concert Shooting: Death Toll Rises To 50, More Than 200 Injured - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.