Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (30951 Views)

South Africans Attack Nigerians -VANGUARD / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Malawi, Congo, Bar South Africans From Entering Their Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by delishpot: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Sad. I pray for the families left behind. This is a tragedy no one should experience. The sudden loss of a loved one who isnt even old.
I don tell people, miracle no be yam wey you must go farm dig out. Pray in your local churches and your homes. Most men who call themselves men of God are greedy and evil. They care more about their pockets than the lives of anyone else.
The era of touch not my annointed was when God himself called prophets to serve him. Those days no man can call himself man of God just like that. Gods judgement was swift and only those who were trully called by God identified and introduced themselves as men of God. these are the men we must not touch or harm.
But, these men of nowadays who go about seeking forrune in Gods name siezing the opportunity that God has given us all grace to walk and act with our free will and his judgement no longer swift as it used to be, we the people have to be smart and sieve the grain from the chaff among them. Unless TB can say he isnt aware of this project on his ground where his workers criminaly turn a 4 floor building to a 6 floor building before I will even give him a glance. if he knew about this project and, did not mind the deadly implication attatched to doing it, but rather, was looking for what he will earn in "offerings" then I say, send his ass to jail.
Shiiit mehn, see lives wasted o. Chei. All moms who lost kids, I cry with you.

11 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2014
sweetgala: How did this man not see this in one of his many visions! Lord forgive me if I'm inadvertently mocking your servant.

.. And what will He do to you if you were 'advertently' mocking the man of Satan?! Jesus in His casting out demons from the afflicted never acted/behaved like a drunken prostitute! Food for thought!

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by kendo101: 8:39am On Sep 17, 2014
Chigold101: how did zuma know the number of dead south africans? another propaganda looming.

You think SA is like Nigeria that doesn't care about their citizens. What's the use of embassies? When ppl arrive other countries, their ppl there take record and monitor their stay in the foreign country. But as for Nigerian Government, they don't give a dam*. They don't even know the number of Nigerians abroad.

15 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 8:44am On Sep 17, 2014
Aranaa: I dunno if it's just me but when I watched the video of the collapse. The way it went down was similar to the way 9/11 collapsed.

Anyways he did make a response:

NIGERIAN preacher and televangelist TB Joshua on Sunday linked a deadly building collapse at his Lagos megachurch to a suspicious aircraft but rescue workers ruled out the theory of foul play.

Mr Joshua, who is dubbed "The Prophet" by his followers because of his purported predictions and healing powers, showed footage of the moments leading up to the collapse on his emmanuel.tv network.

Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency said 42 people were killed in Friday’s incident, and 130 had escaped or were pulled out alive from the building rubble.

In the security camera footage, apparently from opposite the vast church compound, what is described as an aircraft is seen over the building four times at 12.30pm South African time, 12.43pm, 12.45pm and 12.54pm.

The uncompleted building, five floors of which are visible above a high wall, is then seen to collapse at 2:44pm, throwing up huge clouds of dust into the air.

"After the incident, the strange aircraft does not return," a commentary accompanying the images adds.

There was no independent verification of the authenticity of the footage but Mr Joshua has said he would make it available to Nigeria’s security agencies.

His Synagogue Church of All Nations is located in Ikotun, near Lagos international airport.

Mr Joshua’s theory about the low-flying plane featured in a number of Nigerian newspapers on Sunday. But the emergency management agency’s southwest co-ordinator Ibrahim Farinloye rejected claims of sabotage and said extra floors were being added to the building without changing the foundations.

"If it were an act of terrorism or sabotage, it would have gone into rubble," he said.

AFP

That the building in america on 9/11 collaps was not that the two planes hit them it was about the construction. I see a documentation where they show why it collaps.

The last information about the death people is 61

According to NEMA, total death toll as at Tuesday evening totalled 63 deaths and 131 people rescued with “more likely to be recovered.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/168256-synagogue-building-collapse-nigeria-south-africa-differ-on-death-toll.html
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by slap1(m): 8:48am On Sep 17, 2014
halix239:
im 100% sure they told him the full details about the risk he is taking, he jst chose to ignore sch warning signs due to negligence
Or due to over-reliance on miracles. Maybe.

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 8:49am On Sep 17, 2014
kendo101:

You think SA is like Nigeria that does care about their citizens. What's the use of embassies? When ppl arrive other countries, their ppl there take record and monitor their stay in the foreign country. But as for Nigerian Government, they don't give a dam*. They don't even know the number of Nigerian abroad.

Our Ministery of foreign affairs always tell us that when we travel to a country outside europa we should send a short information to the embassy or the Konsulate that they know that we will travel to this country and where we stay.

I know every citizen from my country gets help when he is in a foreign country.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 17, 2014
nora544:

Our Ministery of foreign affairs always tell us that when we travel to a country outside europa we should send a short information to the embassy or the Konsulate that they know that we will travel to this country and where we stay.

I know every citizen from my country gets help when he is in a foreign country.

And which con3 are you from?

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by henchamb(m): 9:00am On Sep 17, 2014
chelseabmw:

That is the problem... I don't understand why he will be so silent... nothing coming out from the church yet

With all due respect this is Nonsense

with due respect, you shouldnt say what you dnt know, the church has released many statements both on fbk, tb joshua and the management.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 9:01am On Sep 17, 2014
kpez:

And which con3 are you from?

A small country in middle europa.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by immortalvoices(m): 9:02am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by gulfer: 9:05am On Sep 17, 2014
MissTeaseMe: Chai!!!
This is really sad. More serious than i anticipated.
Chelseabmw, nice seeing you reporting a News outside auto section smiley

I hope the next news wont be

Breaking News 58 Liberians and 32 people from Guinue, dead in the SCOAN collapsed building

Come see how all rescue workers go run grin

(Looks like a joke but very possible they are there) undecided
I am very certain there will be some Liberians there. I pray we do not have a outbreak of the disease again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by kingthreat(m): 9:28am On Sep 17, 2014
My respect for TB Joshua just dwindled on the knowledge of this. How could he make a gamble with people's lives in the aim of reducing costs? My prayer is for the families of those poor foreigners that died to have strength to bear the loss. It's obvious, people will think twice before leaving their country on a spiritual pilgrimage to Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Funjosh(m): 9:40am On Sep 17, 2014
halix239: ,,
nw na enemy cosam, u re a fool beyond comparism

Thanks for calling me a fool, foolish Boy lipsrsealed
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Abelity(m): 9:43am On Sep 17, 2014
Any one wit picx of the collapse building....... ?

R.I.P............
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by san316(m): 9:57am On Sep 17, 2014
Wooooow!!! This is saaad. 72 is quite a large number considering the fact that they are foreigners. Na wa o!
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 17, 2014
gulfer: I am very certain there will be some Liberians there. I pray we do not have a outbreak of the disease again.

Hmm, this got me thinking. 58 Liberians and people from Guinea at the nairagogue, abi nollygogue? Sha, tb had sent messages to victims of Ebola infested con3s to remain where they are and not come to his nollygogue for miracle healing. He instead sent 4000 bottles of patented Ebola water to them but trust miracle seekers nah, they still found their way there and for fear of being exposed as a fake prophet, he downed the building with everything inside, just thoughts. Crazy you'd say but it happens. Tell me, is a few month's Ebola outbreak a justification for the the destruction of lies and deceit built since 1976? Idi Amin once said "whenever there's a change of government, a few heads must roll"! I guess more than a few got rolled here thanks to a change in Ebola! When did an ordinary helicopter become a strange aircraft and when did aircrafts begin to down buildings without touching or firing rockets @ it?

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 17, 2014
Useless people. They left Mbhoro here in Mzansi and flew to their deaths - all for stickers and bottled water

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 10:33am On Sep 17, 2014
henchamb:

with due respect, you shouldnt say what you dnt know, the church has released many statements both on fbk, tb joshua and the management.

Please show me that that the church released many statments on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/tbjministries?fref=ts

I know you are a follower why you lie, like your fake pastor.

I didnot see anyone the only I see was from the first day when he told his followers that no person and I say now person is death.

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 17, 2014
To any South African reading this:

We empathise with you and feel pain for your loss. We hope that you will not judge our entire country by the actions of a single fraudster posing as a spiritual leader. We love hosting you in our country because due to our sheer size, we often don't get to meet that many (non-West African) Africans here.
We hope you will still visit our country but instead of spending time listening to fraudsters and false prophets, you take your time to explore this beautiful country, from Ilashe Island in Lagos to Tinapa Resort in Calabar, to Obudu cattle ranch, to the temperate middle belt region and its stunning variances in climate and topography. There are hundreds of events, people, places and activities to keep you occupied in this country. So come experience Nigeria and don't let one man ruin your image or experience of Nigeria.

You know we might diss you, mock you, laugh at you and curse you on the internet but when push comes to shove, we're still your brothers and if anything comes up, we always have your back no matter what.
At the end of the day, we're all we have.
RIP to the dead.
We will meet again one day.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Confession14(f): 11:12am On Sep 17, 2014
Am soooo confused myself...I pray no Cameroonians were there...Oh God! My sympathy to the families of the departed.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 11:13am On Sep 17, 2014
As a South African, I don't think that this thread should be allowed to turn into the typical SA vs Naija thing that I've also participated in. Most of the posters have been supportive and encouraging, especially @Rickkid, with the beautiful message. Thank you to those Nigerians. The dissing will happen another day! Not today.

7 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by ciceroo: 11:15am On Sep 17, 2014
chelseabmw: PRETORIA - South African President Jacob Zuma announced Tuesday that 67 South Africans died in a building collapse in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos.

"I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries, after a building at the Synagogue Church of All Nations collapsed on Friday," Zuma said in statement to the nation.

Rescuers say the church's hostel, which housed Nigerian and foreign followers of a popular preacher and televangelist, T.B. Joshua, had been overburdened by the construction of additional floors.

At least five South African church tour groups were at the Synagogue at the time of the collapse, according to officials.

The number of South African dead exceeds the previously known toll for the disaster, a grim signal that the number of fatalities may rise further.

Zuma said South Africa was grieving after the tragedy nearly a continent away.

"Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country.

"Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues that have lost their loved ones in this heart-breaking tragedy.

"The whole nation shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones. We are all in grief."

Zuma said he had ordered government departments to help family members get to Nigeria to identify the bodies of their loved ones, and repatriate the remains as soon as possible.

http://www.enca.com/67-south-africans-killed-nigeria-church-collapse

http://www.iol.co.za/news/africa/67-south-africans-dead-in-nigeria-collapse-1.1751888

htt://m.news24.com/news24/SouthAfrica/News/67-South-African-killed-in-Nigeria-church-collapse-20140916

http://m.mg.co.za/index.php?view=article&urlid=2014-09-16-zuma-67-south-africans-dead-in-nigeria-church-collapse#.VBkfNmrRZxs
are there no churches in SA,dem de find quick miracle abiiii,
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Smooyis(m): 11:16am On Sep 17, 2014
May their souls rest in perfect peace. Amen
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DieVluit: 11:17am On Sep 17, 2014
Motlalentoa: Useless people. They left Mbhoro here in Mzansi and flew to their deaths - all for stickers and bottled water

Well, yeah, maybe. I also think it's gullible of them to do this. But look, they are still South Africans. And for that reason, we need to be with their families in spirit. That's what we do.

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by litetias(m): 11:33am On Sep 17, 2014
How come it's always foreigners giving us the real gist about something that happened in our country? How come our government lie to us with so much impunity? How come anytime Sahara Reporters comes out to challenge the untruth of the government we don't believe them? How come TB Joshua couldn't prophesy that people were going to die in his own church but can prophesy the death of people from other continents? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

3 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by nora544: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2014
Most victims from SA

Mnguni said it was difficult to identify the remains of South African victims because a doctor they had sent to the mortuary was turned away.

It is believed that most of the people in the guesthouse when it collapsed were South Africans. According to the church, about 500 South Africans visit every week.

The Star reported that five different South African church tour groups, comprising about 300 people, were staying in the guesthouse when it collapsed.

About 20 people are in hospital and 248 are hospitalised, Mnguni said.

Presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj said the number of South Africans killed was based on information received from friends and family of the victims.

Our team in #Nigeria not getting the cooperation they need. Verification very difficult. As Maharaj said "take figure of 67 with caution".

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/SA-rescue-DNA-experts-heading-to-Nigeria-20140917

http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Africa/Nigeria-building-collapse-in-pictures-20140916
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by soilsista(f): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2014
My heart sank when I saw this on the News this morning. Sincerest condolences to the families. Akwehlanga lungehlenga yiNkosi enikayo ikwayiyo e thathayo. Sikhala nani cry cry

1 Like

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by soilsista(f): 11:44am On Sep 17, 2014
Motlalentoa: Useless people. They left Mbhoro here in Mzansi and flew to their deaths - all for stickers and bottled water
Ao bathong! Now is not the time to be saying such hle
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by RaptorX: 11:49am On Sep 17, 2014
hensben: If africans/nigerians can put things in place, basic amenities from the government, this idea of running from one miracle centre to another will stop rather you pray privately in ur house.

God answers prayer from anybody as far as you believe in Him and do what you are suppose to do in life to cause positive change.
Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by Voicefilter: 11:49am On Sep 17, 2014
Our government knows about the number of people who went to Nigeria as church tour group. There were about 300 South Africans who went there. The sad thing is that our government have said this morning that they find it difficult to communicate with their Nigerian counterpart making it difficult to arrange help for our fellows. The rescue teams are here in SA on standby to go to Nigeria to help but they are waiting for clearances and protocol nonsense.God forgive me I still do not understand why people travel so far for God intervention because he is everywhere. I hope the Nigerian government is not delaying this help in order to alter the true implications of this sad disaster.

2 Likes

Re: Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 by DorisK(f): 11:50am On Sep 17, 2014
Every mysterious event always has mystery beneath it.... We don't really kno wat actually happened there. Av Neva admired d church bt I choose nt to say tins as bad as I see it.... We shall be getting more news

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Iran Says Nothing Will Be Left In Israel If It Dares To Attack Iranian Territory / Heat Wave: Fire Errupts In Upminster, London / Ecuador Declares State Of Emergency As Narcotics Gang Leader Escapes From Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.