Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? (3309 Views)

Niger Deports 3,000 Nigerians, Including Refugees Fleeing Boko Haram / Nigerians, Including The Yoruba, Are In Agreement About Yoruba Ways Of Life / Nigerians, Including Yorubas, Representing In India (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Ramnon2: 4:27pm On Sep 23, 2014
[quote author=ISpiksDaTroof]
Good for you that you attend a lot of International forums, but you need to learn to properly comprehend what you read or just be quiet if you have no idea about the topic at hand.

Take a second look at the OP of this thread and revise that idiootic comment of yours. Thank you.

Like I said Age 12 is the cut off mark to lose your old accent without professional coaching. Has Okonjo-iweala or those European friends of yours lived here since their childhood and is now in their 50's?

FYI, I was not 12 when I came to the US. In any case, the Nigerian prof who had asked about speaking in an Igbo accent realized the folly of his expectation and backed off.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Ramnon2: 4:28pm On Sep 23, 2014
With what accent does Ban Ki Moon (UN Sec Gen) address the world again? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: See, youre just a dummy! I made that analogy to let you see that when you speak like your hosts they quickly see you as one of them as opposed to when you sound different. I bet even if you were offered a Billion dollars you couldn't lose your accent, so stop pretending like it's your choice.

There are many adults who end up losing their accents over time in a foreign land.

Charlize Theron is a famous example.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Ramnon2: 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: See, youre just a dummy! I made that analogy to let you see that when you speak like your hosts they quickly see you as one of them as opposed to when you sound different. I bet even if you were offered a Billion dollars you couldn't lose your accent, so stop pretending like it's your choice.

Dummy, I do not need to lose my accent; would not, even if offered a billion. It's inferior homo sapien Nigerians like you who do everything to be non-Nigerian. Are you not the Yoruba man claiming to be non-Nigerian? Why do Westerners and Chinese in Nigeria not speak like Nigerians? Goat head.

Any individual Nigerian living outside Nigeria who chooses to could lose their Nigerian accent(s); it is a personal thing. But to expect every Nigerian to do so is foolish. I made that clear to the Nigerian professor.

When I see Westerners in Nigeria speaking English with a Nigerian accent, then I can consider doing so here.

In fact, many colleagues here have walked up to me telling me they love my accent and have always wanted to hear something foreign.

So for now it's my Igbotic accent all the way. That has not stopped me from being an invited speaker in uncountable global meetings.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2014
chulla12:

There are many adults who end up losing their accents over time in a foreign land.

Charlize Theron is a famous example.

Did you somehow miss the part where I said ".... with PROFESSIONAL COACHING" or you think that South African accent just disappeared on its own?!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2014
Ramnon2:

Dummy, I do not need to lose my accent; would not, even if offered a billion. It's inferior homo sapien Nigerians like you who do everything to be non-Nigerian. Are you not the Yoruba man claiming to be non-Nigerian? Why do Westerners and Chinese in Nigeria not speak like Nigerians? Goat head.

Any individual Nigerian living outside Nigeria who chooses to could lose their Nigerian accent(s); it is a personal thing. But to expect every Nigerian to do so is foolish. I made that clear to the Nigerian professor.

When I see Westerners in Nigeria speaking English with a Nigerian accent, then I can consider doing so here.

In fact, many colleagues here have walked up to me telling me they love my accent and have always wanted to hear something foreign.

So for now it's my Igbotic accent all the way. That has not stopped me from being an invited speaker in uncountable global meetings.

The typical chest beating... why am I not surprised?!

Like I said: YOU DIDNT CHOOSE NOT TO LOSE YOUR ACCENT, YOUR ACCENT STILL REMAINS BECAUSE IT HAS NOWHERE TO GO TO; ITS STUCK IN YOU AND IS NOW PART AND PARCEL SO STOP LYING TO YOURSELF.

If it was that easy to lose accents Hausas would sound like Yorubas after living in Lagos for a while, Ibos would sound like Hausas after living in Kano for a while, Yorubas would sound like Ibos after living in Aba for a while, heck, even someone from Houston would sound like a New Englander after living in Vermont for a while.....

But, guess what, after a certain age that damn accent aint going nowhere.

I lived in Nigeria for 30+ odd years and apart from my physical features, the moment I open my mouth you can tell that, "Yeah, hes been living around us but hes not part of us".

Like I said: STOP DECEIVING YOURSELF!

P.S: Youve got a serious inferiority complex you need to go seek Professional help to deal with.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
Ramnon2:
FYI, I was not 12 when I came to the US. In any case, the Nigerian prof who had asked about speaking in an Igbo accent realized the folly of his expectation and backed off

Who said anything about you coming out here when you were 12? Even from your writing, its obvious you never stood 3ft close to a white man till you were well into adulthood.

Dude, stop being delusional.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 23, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

Did you somehow miss the part where I said ".... with PROFESSIONAL COACHING" or you think that South African accent just disappeared on its own?!

But she didn't lose it by professional coaching though.

She is a PERFECT example.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2014
chulla12: http://www.people.com/people/charlize_theron/

Click here for her biography.

Click a link supplied to me by a Nigerian online? Roflmao Nice try, buddy.

You really need to f*cuk off, take a hike and jump off a cliff headfirst and stop pretending you know what the hell youre talking about.

chulla12:

But she didn't lose it by professional coaching though.

She is a PERFECT example.

Youre an id*iot and I honestly cant stand f*xckers like yourself your so annoying its unbelievable.

"Accent reduction, also known as elocution, accent modification or accent neutralization, is a systematic approach used to learn or adopt a new accent. It is the process of learning the sound system (or phonology) of a language or dialect. The methodology involves several steps, which include identifying deviations in the person's current speech from the desired accent (such as pronunciation, speech patterns, and speech habits), changing the way one uses the mouth, teeth, and tongue to form vowel and consonant sounds, modifying one's intonation and stress patterns, and changing one's rhythm. Using this method, individuals such as those mastering a second language may alter their speech to more closely resemble the accent of a certain group of people, and thus enhance the clarity of their communication with those people.

The actors Charlize Theron, Portia de Rossi and Anthony La Paglia are examples of some notable people who received such training to lose their native accents and develop American accents, even in everyday speech."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_reduction
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110207191939AAkreKa
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 23, 2014
Okay...i'd rather not go by Wikipedia but personal interviews and authorized biographies.

It is common knowledge among Hollywood insiders that Charlize was self-taught in losing her accent. She has mentioned in several interviews that she achieved this when she was a struggling actress.

Yes I know what accent reduction coaching is but it is not a root cause for every adult that loses his or her accent.

Lastly, calm down. Breathe deeply. We are not fighting the battle of Musanga here.

ISpiksDaTroof:

Youre an id*iot and I honestly cant stand f*xckers like yourself your so annoying its unbelievable.

"Accent reduction, also known as elocution, accent modification or accent neutralization, is a systematic approach used to learn or adopt a new accent. It is the process of learning the sound system (or phonology) of a language or dialect. The methodology involves several steps, which include identifying deviations in the person's current speech from the desired accent (such as pronunciation, speech patterns, and speech habits), changing the way one uses the mouth, teeth, and tongue to form vowel and consonant sounds, modifying one's intonation and stress patterns, and changing one's rhythm. Using this method, individuals such as those mastering a second language may alter their speech to more closely resemble the accent of a certain group of people, and thus enhance the clarity of their communication with those people.

The actors Charlize Theron, Portia de Rossi and Anthony La Paglia are examples of some notable people who received such training to lose their native accents and develop American accents, even in everyday speech."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accent_reduction
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 5:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
Sound Too Regional? Accent Reduction Might Be For You

By Stephanie Ciccarelli
January 24, 2013
Comments (9)

Can someone pick your voice out as being from a specific region?

For those who get into voice-over, being able to sound "neutral" in terms of accent can be very important, so much in fact that these talent work hard to reduce their regional accents and adopt a more national, polished sound for broadcast and other applications.

Have you worked toward reducing your accent or modified your accent to sound, well, unaccented?

Be sure to comment and let me know! Join the conversation in today's VOX Daily.

Got You Pegged

Many people in our industry have worked hard to rid themselves or minimize their regional accents in order to get work. One of the great things about being an actor, and a voice actor at that, is that you can study different accents and dialects that will help expand your opportunities for roles.

If you've ever wondered what your regional accent is, you can take this US regional accent quiz.

Sometimes when people who have worked hard to eliminate their regional accent get overly emotional or excited, their regional accent comes barreling through. Raw emotion tends to release more than just feelings...it can awaken accents or manners of speech, too! You might have noticed this either in yourself, people you know or in movies you have watched where inconsistencies in character voices may abound.

Accent Reduction and Modification

A number of celebrities work with dialect coaches on set when acting on television or in a film. Even someone like the president of the United States has invested in a form of training for the way that he speaks. As voice-over professionals, one skill you'll want to have is the ability to modify how your accent comes across. This may mean eliminating a regional accent or developing a new accent for roles on-camera or behind the microphone.

Voice trainer Jill Tarnoff specializes in helping people to modify regional accents. The clientele seeking accent modification services include corporate types, actors and those who would like to improve how they communicate.

Sam Chwat, "the speech therapist to the stars," has instructed a Who's Who of Oscar and Grammy winners and nominees, as well as business leaders, broadcasters, diplomats and politicians. The Sam Chwat Speech Center is the leading speech pathologist group that specializes in accent reduction/elimination. The Sam Chwat Method, the accent without an accent, has empowered thousands to achieve their personal goals. Their services include everything from foreign and regional accent elimination, to corporate presentation, dialect acquisition and Standard American English.

17 Celebrities Who Have Worked With Sam Chwat

Robert DeNiro

Julia Roberts

Roberto Benigni

Marcia Gay Harden

Willem Dafoe

Kate Hudson

Olympia Dukakis

Jude Law

Jon Bon Jovi

Patrick Stewart

Kim Cattrall

John Leguizamo

Roma Downey

Linda Evangelista

Rachel Weisz

Charlize Theron

Harry Connick, Jr.

Have You Tried To Modify Your Accent?

Whether you have tried to eliminate a regional accent or have worked hard to develop new accents for use in acting roles, I'd love to hear from you!

Be sure to let me know how you've been modifying your accent by leaving a comment.

Best wishes,
Stephanie

iStockphoto.com©seandeburca

Related Topics: Accent, Celebrities, industry, TV, United States
Comments

I am from Houston, Texas. I have worked hard for fourteen years to have a more neutral, non-region specific voice! I can call upon the southern accent for clients if asked, and the best part is that its REAL. I also have seemingly mastered several British dialects, and routinely book British accent voiceover jobs on voices.com using them!
-Markham Anderson

Posted by:
Markham Anderson
January 25, 2013 8:16 AM
I am from Coastal North Carolina and am quite southern. When I am relaxed my "southern charm" is evident in my voice and I thought that was how I took the quiz...results say 88% Midland(but said maybe from Atlanta or Charleston) Wow. I took it twice speaking aloud, Here is the results:

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Midland

88%
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

78%The South

66%The West

61%The Northeast

55%The Inland North

36%Philadelphia

34%Boston

3%North Central

Gotta get back to the auditions!
Herb Blake-Voice Artist

Posted by:
Herb Blake
January 25, 2013 9:03 AM
I ... AM Canadian. ha!

80% North Central

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

76%Boston

72%The West

68%The Midland

59%The Inland North

53%The Northeast

45%Philadelphia

31%The South

It's funny because according to the American couple that I sat next to on a trip to Florida last January, I don't sound Canadian at all. But, then again, my accent changes according to who I'm talking to. I have a tendency to mimic other people's accents without really thinking about it.

Posted by:
Alice K.
January 25, 2013 10:38 AM
I get busted on this sometimes for being Canadian. People may love how friendly we are and they sure do love to eat our maple syrup. But sometimes they aren't very forgiving when it comes to how we say certain words! smiley

Eh!

Posted by:
Marc Scott
January 25, 2013 10:52 AM
Fun quiz! Pegged me as "The West or Midland. Spent my childhood in Southern California, and now in Nebraska, so spot on. Glad I don't have a discernible accent--makes VO a lot easier! Thanks for something fun to divert myself away from editing for a few moments:-)

Posted by:
Karen DeBoer
January 25, 2013 2:21 PM
We have big regional variations here in UK, too. London alone has suburban nuances: being born there I can hear them, though I can't do that in say Glasgow or Manchester.
As to suppressing accent: yes plain Brit RP is easily be perceived as 'posh', i.e. upper-class, though I'm certainly not that, and I used to think it a disadvantage to sound like the BBC until an excellent USA coach told me Use it. Work with it, not against. It is your unique proposition.
I take that as one more way of saying 'Be Yourself'. Which does not mean it stops you building characters on top of it.

Posted by:
Howard Ellison
January 25, 2013 3:35 PM
I started doing some voiceover work a few years ago, and then I decided to pursue a master's degree in speech-language pathology. I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised that I enjoyed learning about the voice and accent modification / reduction, haha. The funny thing is my voiceover coach I used to work with encouraged me to neutralize my "Chicago" accent!Through training with voiceover coaches and my training in speech-language pathology, I have improved my awareness and knowledge about accent modification and voice improvement! I have been able to re-teach myself and others because of this training. I am excited to re-enter the voiceover world with my new knowledge and awareness of voice and speech patterns!

Posted by:
Nisha Malavia
January 25, 2013 7:41 PM
Hello Stephanie:

Grew up in Northern New Jersey, rated as 100% northeastern. Guilty as charged! However, for the most part, the accent hasn't been a liability!

Posted by:
Bill Nevitt
January 27, 2013 1:32 PM
100% inland north -- which is cool because I grew up in Northeast Ohio, near Lake Erie! Right on.

Posted by:
Margaret Rodeheaver
January 28, 2013 10:30 AM
- See more at: http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/2013/01/accent_modification_reduction.html#sthash.fHSMB1Bi.dpuf

http://blogs.voices.com/voxdaily/2013/01/accent_modification_reduction.html
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by ISpiksDaTroof: 6:01pm On Sep 23, 2014
chulla12: Okay...i'd rather not go by Wikipedia but personal interviews and authorized biographies.

It is common knowledge among Hollywood insiders that Charlize was self-taught in losing her accent. She has mentioned in several interviews that she achieved this when she was a struggling actress.

Yes I know what accent reduction coaching is but it is not a root cause for every adult that loses his or her accent.

Lastly, calm down. Breathe deeply. We are not fighting the battle of Musanga here.

Like, seriously, fu*xck all the way off. Youre now just acting like a blockheaded pest. Is it just a Nigerian thing to hate to admit fault, accept correction and learn or are you just inherently naturally dumb? If it was that easy to lose accents in adulthood without coaching I'd sound Nigerian, Gambian or like someone from Kentucky.
Re: Why Do Many Nigerians, Including Educated Ones, Show Inferior Mentality? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
Can you stop cursing and acting all dramatic?

And stop linking me to Wikipedia and accent losing advertisements.

I go by authorized biographies and interviews which state that Charlize learned the accent herself while watching American TV shows and listening to American songs.

ISpiksDaTroof: Sound Too Regional? Accent Reduction Might Be For You

By Stephanie Ciccarelli
January 24, 2013
Comments (9)

Can someone pick your voice out as being from a specific region?

For those who get into voice-over, being able to sound "neutral" in terms of accent can be very important, so much in fact that these talent work hard to reduce their regional accents and adopt a more national, polished sound for broadcast and other applications.

Have you worked toward reducing your accent or modified your accent to sound, well, unaccented?

Be sure to comment and let me know! Join the conversation in today's VOX Daily.

Got You Pegged

Many people in our industry have worked hard to rid themselves or minimize their regional accents in order to get work. One of the great things about being an actor, and a voice actor at that, is that you can study different accents and dialects that will help expand your opportunities for roles.

If you've ever wondered what your regional accent is, you can take this US regional accent quiz.

Sometimes when people who have worked hard to eliminate their regional accent get overly emotional or excited, their regional accent comes barreling through. Raw emotion tends to release more than just feelings...it can awaken accents or manners of speech, too! You might have noticed this either in yourself, people you know or in movies you have watched where inconsistencies in character voices may abound.

Accent Reduction and Modification

A number of celebrities work with dialect coaches on set when acting on television or in a film. Even someone like the president of the United States has invested in a form of training for the way that he speaks. As voice-over professionals, one skill you'll want to have is the ability to modify how your accent comes across. This may mean eliminating a regional accent or developing a new accent for roles on-camera or behind the microphone.

Voice trainer Jill Tarnoff specializes in helping people to modify regional accents. The clientele seeking accent modification services include corporate types, actors and those who would like to improve how they communicate.

Sam Chwat, "the speech therapist to the stars," has instructed a Who's Who of Oscar and Grammy winners and nominees, as well as business leaders, broadcasters, diplomats and politicians. The Sam Chwat Speech Center is the leading speech pathologist group that specializes in accent reduction/elimination. The Sam Chwat Method, the accent without an accent, has empowered thousands to achieve their personal goals. Their services include everything from foreign and regional accent elimination, to corporate presentation, dialect acquisition and Standard American English.

17 Celebrities Who Have Worked With Sam Chwat

Robert DeNiro

Julia Roberts

Roberto Benigni

Marcia Gay Harden

Willem Dafoe

Kate Hudson

Olympia Dukakis

Jude Law

Jon Bon Jovi

Patrick Stewart

Kim Cattrall

John Leguizamo

Roma Downey

Linda Evangelista

Rachel Weisz

Charlize Theron

Harry Connick, Jr.

Have You Tried To Modify Your Accent?

Whether you have tried to eliminate a regional accent or have worked hard to develop new accents for use in acting roles, I'd love to hear from you!

Be sure to let me know how you've been modifying your accent by leaving a comment.

Best wishes,
Stephanie

iStockphoto.com©seandeburca