Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine (726 Views)

The New Nairaland Search Engine Doesnt Help / Nairaland Search Engine What's Up / Do We Really Need To See Members' Birthdays?/Nairaland Search Is Too Basic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by bimbor(m): 7:33am On Sep 19, 2014
Hello Admin,
I have observed this phenomenon closely for a while now. The Nairaland Search engine is just too broad. I mean it's as if there is no filter installed.
You try to search for say, "2014 Toyota Corolla" and the results you get will amaze you! I mean you will see every thread where 2014 was ever mentioned such as Anambra 2014 elections, 2014 Ebola outbreak, 2014 Sports season etc, then you will see all threads where Toyota was ever mentioned such as 1999 Toyota Camry, Toyota opens new Manufacturing plant, 2002 Toyota Highlander, 2001 Toyota Corolla etc, and then you will have all threads where Corolla were mentioned such as 1998 Toyota Corolla, 2010 Toyota Corolla etc. So at the end of the day you really don't get what you were searching for so what is now the usefulness of the search button?

Now my point is such search results are too general and non - specific!! You can look through Google search results.....soo straight to the point.

Admin please you have to do something about this. How can someone want a fast track to get an information and ends up being drawn back the more. Please make the Search results as relevant to the Search queries as much as possible.

We appreciate your efforts in making Nairaland a formidable forum, please work on the search engine.

Thank you.

Regards,
Bimbo.
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by flinton(m): 7:37am On Sep 19, 2014
Check well, I fink there are filters after ur first search
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 19, 2014
I support OP. It got to a point whereby I'd log out and google search on my Opera mini. The Nairaland search is just too broad.
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by bimbor(m): 7:54am On Sep 19, 2014
flinton: Check well, I fink there are filters after ur first search

Even with that the results are still non- specific. Take a look at the attached image.....I tried searching for a 2013 Corolla, the first result that came up was for a 2000 Corolla....all because Corolla was in the picture, and yes I used the filter. Now this will waste so much time in getting the exact info you want.

Admin will understand me better, if he reads this i know he will understand what I mean immediately. He's a webmaster. @Admin Please sir put more works into "Nairaland Search"

Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 19, 2014
Seun, where you dey?
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Seun(m): 10:21am On Sep 19, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by nitlad: 10:24am On Sep 19, 2014
Apatheist: Seun, where you dey?

Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by nitlad: 10:28am On Sep 19, 2014
Seun: Try this search instead: https://www.nairaland.com/search/2014.toyota.corolla/1/26/1
Correct! E be like say this works better. Just separate each word of your query with periods instead of space.
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Seun(m): 10:30am On Sep 19, 2014
nitlad: Correct! E be like say this works better. Just separate each word of your query with periods instead of space.
Wrong. What makes it work is that I restricted the search to the Autos section and selected topic first posts and posts with images only.
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by nitlad: 10:41am On Sep 19, 2014
Seun: Wrong. What makes it work is that I restricted the search to the Autos section and selected topic first posts and posts with images only.

embarassed cry embarassed

Why did you seperate your search query with periods then? undecided
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Seun(m): 10:42am On Sep 19, 2014
nitlad: embarassed cry embarassed

Why did you seperate your search query with periods then? undecided
To get rid of the "%20"s in this url which also works: https://www.nairaland.com/search/2014%20toyota%20corolla/1/26/1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by nitlad: 10:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Seun: To get rid of the "%20"s in this url which also works: https://www.nairaland.com/search/2014%20toyota%20corolla/1/26/1

Toh. . .
Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by bimbor(m): 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2014
Seun: Try this search instead: https://www.nairaland.com/search/2014.toyota.corolla/1/26/1

Seun's Search result......see image please.

What has 2nd week of September 2014 got to do with "2014 Toyota Corolla"? Because 2014 was in the statement.

And please I searched for '2014 Corolla' why is 2003 Corolla being pulled up?

@Admin I'm sure you've got the message. Nairaland search results are too generalised.

Install an Intelligent Filter Engine.

Re: Admin Alert! Nairaland Search Engine by Aydesmond(m): 6:47pm On Sep 19, 2014
Seun: To get rid of the "%20"s in this url which also works: https://www.nairaland.com/search/2014%20toyota%20corolla/1/26/1
seun, seriously u shud do sometin bout the the search engine....same thing apend to me(i searchd 4 unilorin 2013 admission...* shit u shud av seen orisirisi result*i believe u will work on it....

#team you erased our data, but you
can't erase our memories. Nairaland
Remembers. Aydesmond will not forget

(1) (Reply)

MOD!Time Ish On Most Sections Of Nairaland!any explanation? / Police In Edo State Confirms Bomb Blast Near Govt House / Mods Pls Do Something About This Auntyspermboat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.