Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,653 members, 7,955,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:43 AM

10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest (23588 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Similar Words Between Hausa/yoruba Languages And That Of Igbo/idoma / How To Say "I Love You" In The Various Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Lilimax(f): 12:48pm On Sep 23, 2014
spotit: oh really? queen okoye si m juo gi...i nwere otuocha? grin
undecided?
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 23, 2014
Lilimax: undecided?
i mean like..oops!
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Lilimax(f): 12:51pm On Sep 23, 2014
spotit: i mean like..oops!
Bia, kpachara anya gi ooo!.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 23, 2014
Lilimax:
Bia, kpachara anya gi ooo!.
lol..even though na inaghi acha ocha, odikwa very possible na i nwere very ikpu ocha...the type na-amasim eri uwatuwa undecided
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Rose111: 12:57pm On Sep 23, 2014
Proudly Ikwerre............ And itll live on.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by bukarmada: 1:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
jeron1: I see Hausa Language extincting soon after GeJ finish with all these BokO people

jeron1: I see Hausa Language extincting soon after GeJ finish with all these BokO people

Is that what you want to see....? Hausa Language has gone far away than any language in Nigeria, it is the second most spoken language in Africa. I fear Igbo Language in that matter, they prefer English, (even the English fake one (Pidgin) which the white men can't understand) than their native language. Bye bye Igbo Language, welcome Pidgin Language. tongue tongue tongue
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2014
The problem with most of the tribespeople listed above is that they can't even speak the kyn English either.
Most of the northern tribes now adopt hausa
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
bukarmada:

Is that what you want to see....? Hausa Language has gone far away than any language in Nigeria, it is the second most spoken language in Africa. I fear Igbo Language in that matter, they prefer English, (even the English fake one (Pidgin) which the white men can't understand) than their native language. Bye bye Igbo Language, welcome Pidgin Language. tongue tongue tongue

Igbo language do you Wetin? Take Time o
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 1:16pm On Sep 23, 2014
patrickdarlins: the only languages that can stand the test of time...are..........

YORUBA........................

HAUSA..........................

EDO....................

maybe ..........

IGBO......................

the rest languages..........

should go.....................

HANG!!!!!!!!.........

thanks for reading...............

and.......

for ur time not wasted.....

i love you all............

thanks......for quoting me in advance......i love u toooooo........smiles

Why did you add maybe to Igbo? in SE Nigeria, that's the predominant language.
Edo that you endorsed even speak more of pidgin as first language.
do your research well
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 23, 2014
zeemoore: Some of our indigenous languages are gradually going or have gone into extinction as a result of our somewhat passive attitude to our native languages as Nigerians.
Even in school, 'we' were made to believe English is far superior to our indigenous languages
'We' were slammed with all manners of punishment for speaking our native language and requesting for a native language teacher
Interestingly, the real custodians of the English language are more interested in our languages and cultural heritage

I do not think it's the responsibility of government agencies alone to preserve our native languages and keeping it from dying.
Families, parents, churches, schools, children, custodians of culture, stakeholders and culture practitioners also must acknowledge their responsibility in preventing the demise of our indigenous languages

Parents (especially the elites) should stop encouraging their children to speak English at the detriment of their indigenous language
The teaching of indigenous languages should be included in our school (both private and public) curriculums
why wont these languages and many other indigenious languages go extinct? Why cudnt or cant we africans see beyond the blackness of our skin? Why cant these our indigenious languages have their own Dictionaries, why cant we have these our cultural Arts elaborately, beautifully written and well preserved ( even some form of fictions should be added in other to promote our cultural values cos we are what we present. Some of this western cultures or stories are works of fiction) why cant we use the power of branding and rebranding on this our cultures and traditions and leave the world looking and thirsty for more.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by mrgreen4real(m): 2:06pm On Sep 23, 2014
Weting your dialect wan give you apart from looking for traditional ruling council?
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by musicwriter(m): 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2014
@Giftedgreen

I once visited a friend and as I was sitting in his parlour his 5 years old boy started saying something in native language. To my utter suprise his mother came warning him to speak English. This with a hash tone.

I asked the mother why and she told me "I have warned the boy never to speak Igbo again in this house". I was so shocked and ashamed that I didn't reply her. I just kept quiet and died inside.

I have a lot to say about this topic that I could writer a book about it but I don't have much time right now.

The problem as emir of Kano noted is "we all are victims of colonization". Good news is while some of us swallowed it hook, line, and sinker some us like myself did not.

The solution is education in Africa should be reformed now!. We have to go back to our roots by using our dialects in schools. Those who want to study English should study English. We must seperate studying English from life. English is not our life!.The reason the colonialists imposed their language on us was for them to be able to communicate us. They didn't impose their language on us for us to be able to communicate ourselves because we already have our own languages here in Africa before our contact with whiteman.

One of the biggest mistake ever made in Africa during post colonial struggles was "not reverting back to our indigenous languages as a standard of learning when the British, French, Spanish, and Portuguise left Africa". I'm currently looking for partners to reverse this but couldn't find any yet as stupidity have eaten deep in us all; presidents, ministers, governors (everybody is a victim).

This's why we're backward scientifically, technologically, and therefore cannot develop. And that's why Africa is in povery.

Details: http://www.africason.com/2014/06/african-school-of-grassroots-science.html?m=1
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
darlingtonNYIG: what a write up!! Highly impressed. Just checked your profile to see if it is an elderly or mature lady but wow you look 20s. Just keep it, at least we got people with sense and articulation

Thank you.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Edoblakky(m): 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
Frankly speaking, most languages in Nigeria will starve into extinction by the turn of next century! And by the way what have we gained from our indigenous languages? If anything, they have made us tribalistic and self-centred. Much as we may want to have our indigenous languages preserved, I'm afraid it may not be possible due to inter-marriages, many don't even know how to speak it and many don't like to speak it.......
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by mrmatt(m): 2:28pm On Sep 23, 2014
Joavid: Wow!
Informative post @ op.

I observed that most the languages listed by the op are of minority groups mostly located in central part of Nigeria(north central).
and I can't entirely blame the desire to speak and learn good english the reason for the extinction of those languages.

I think been bundle up together with other small tribes, they had to adopt a language; still indigenous for better and effective communication -- hausa.
And overtime, it became a language for mixed tribes. Inter-tribal marriage did not help matters too.

And sometimes these languages are difficult and to speak or learn especially if you did not grow up learning it, hence it can't stand the test of time.

Also, Most Afro-Asiatic(which are most of the languages listed up there) are poorly described and there is
virtually no literature written in them or about them.

Almost a quarter of them are
spoken by communities of 5000
people or less, and a large
percentage is spoken by just a
handful of people, while some are
already extinct.
So its no wonder.
. Most of the languages are found in the core north and not north central outside one. State that have extent and endangered languages in the north central are plateau state, nasarawa state and Niger state.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by jamesbawa(m): 3:32pm On Sep 23, 2014
mtcheeew! ... some pple cn be so stu.pid ehn

1 Like

Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Aliucha: 3:47pm On Sep 23, 2014
We should be talking of one general language for all Nigerians and that should be Ibo. Ibo should be made mandatory in all schools in Nigeria.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Akanbiedu(m): 4:03pm On Sep 23, 2014
Save them for what purpose?
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Mbediogu(m): 4:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
Giftedgreen:
No doubt, English Language is a unifying language in most Commonwealth countries especially Nigeria where over 500 indigenous languages are spoken. But the pace at which these indigenous languages are losing out to the English language is alarming.

A recent UNESCO research shows that on the average, 25 percent of children below 11 years are unable to speak their parents’ indigenous language in Nigeria, and if the trend is not checked, the research notes that Nigerian languages will be in extinction in two to three generations, that is in 50 to 75 years time

Currently Nigeria has about 16 endangered languages and 10 extinct languages that can be accounted for.

In case you came across any known speaker of any of these languages, could you please notify the authorities, not that Nigeria lacks bigger problems but this is also important

Below are ten extinct language of Nigeria

1. Ajawa

Ajawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Bauchi State, Nigeria. Ajawa became extinct between 1920 and 1940 as speakers switched to Hausa

2. Auyokawa

Auyakawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Jigawa State, Nigeria. The extinct date is missing.

3. Basa-Gumna

Basa-Gumna is an extinct Kainji language ofNigeria. It was spoken in Chanchaga, Niger state, and Nasarawa, near the Basa homeland. Speakers have shifted to Hausa. The language became extinct in the year 1987

4. Gamo (Buta) and Ningi

Gamo (Buta) and Ningi are an apparently extinct Kainji dialect cluster of Nigeria. The extinct date is also missing.

5. Kpati

Kpati is an extinct Grassfields languageformerly spoken in Taraba State, Nigeria. Extinct date missing

6. Kubi

Kubi (also known as Kuba, Kubawa) is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Bauchi State, Nigeria. Members of the ethnic group now speak Hausa. Extinct date missing

7. Mawa

Mawa is an extinct and unattested language of Nigeria. It was apparently different from a language of Chad also known as Mawa, and so is unclassified. Extinct date missing

8. Teshenawa

Teshenawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Jigawa State, Nigeria

9. Odut Language

Odut is an extinct Upper Cross River language of Nigeria. It was formerly spoken in Cross river State

10. Luri

The extinct Luri dialect is not well attested

What do you think can be done to prevent the extinction of Nigerian Languages in the society today?

- See more at: http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/09/23/10-nigerian-extinct-languages-and-what-you-think-can-be-done-to-save-perishing-nigerian-languages/#sthash.9docNcXa.dpuf

Indigeous languages should be taught up college level. They should deveoped to a level where they can be used for transactions (even in written forms) at all levels excerpt when non indigenes are involved. The Yoruba must be commended for taking great pride in their language. I also criticise the Igbo who put aside our beautiful language to speak English even at village meetings - as a mark of enlightenment, or because they allowed it to fall to level of 2nd language where they find it cumbersome for serious communication. Most of us are guilty.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Alfranco(m): 5:05pm On Sep 23, 2014
To save the rest simply means indigenous cultures should be made to take their rightful place against following foreign cultures hook line and sinker. This also extend to the way we embrace the major religions introduced to us and condemning some of our excellent God given ways of life. We can never be better than those we copy or promote how God wanted them while we neglect the way we're meant to be.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by docsholz(m): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2014
Aliucha: We should be talking of one general language for all Nigerians and that should be Ibo. Ibo should be made mandatory in all schools in Nigeria.
where do u buy ur weed grin
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
allow it guys. say whatever you will, the igbo adopting English(no matter how battered the version) and yoruba or other languages shows the fluidity in their endeavours to survive and succeed. if Chinese became the language of today, they won't hesitate in borrowing a leaf so as to pluck the fruits in its tomorrows. say whatever, the igbos still speak their language well enough. we know languages are the thumbprints of their respective speakers' cultures and ancient historical connections with the universe...but the more things change, the more they remain the same. this pattern shows you how different people cling to relevance as the world ages. we can't have all the ancient tongues in existence, cos the old must give way for the new. same as human existence. somebody go resurrect latin now
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by merits(m): 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2014
come here make i blow your head off.

Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 23, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Why did you add maybe to Igbo? in SE Nigeria, that's the predominant language.
Edo that you endorsed even speak more of pidgin as first language.
do your research well
i told you earlier on

i still love u...
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by miketayo(m): 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2014
Aliucha: We should be talking of one general language for all Nigerians and that should be Ibo. Ibo should be made mandatory in all schools in Nigeria.

LMAO!!!!! you know the language(Igbo) has an English word in every 2 sentences, that is why people feel its going out of existence, also shows it isnt rich enough. I feel its too late to make a general Language so beta we stick to English or our pidgin
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Ikwerreboy(m): 7:54pm On Sep 23, 2014
With the below point i think it will surely help ##BRING BACK OUR NATIVE LANGUAGE ##

1. Studying our native language as a compulsory course in our primary, secondary and higher institution level.
With the law of: If you don't pass it, you won't be promoted to the next class.
while in the higher institution it will be a carry over case.
2. Casting news in both english and our native language.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 23, 2014
Giftedgreen:
No doubt, English Language is a unifying language in most Commonwealth countries especially Nigeria where over 500 indigenous languages are spoken. But the pace at which these indigenous languages are losing out to the English language is alarming.

A recent UNESCO research shows that on the average, 25 percent of children below 11 years are unable to speak their parents’ indigenous language in Nigeria, and if the trend is not checked, the research notes that Nigerian languages will be in extinction in two to three generations, that is in 50 to 75 years time

Currently Nigeria has about 16 endangered languages and 10 extinct languages that can be accounted for.

In case you came across any known speaker of any of these languages, could you please notify the authorities, not that Nigeria lacks bigger problems but this is also important

Below are ten extinct language of Nigeria

1. Ajawa

Ajawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Bauchi State, Nigeria. Ajawa became extinct between 1920 and 1940 as speakers switched to Hausa

2. Auyokawa

Auyakawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Jigawa State, Nigeria. The extinct date is missing.

3. Basa-Gumna

Basa-Gumna is an extinct Kainji language ofNigeria. It was spoken in Chanchaga, Niger state, and Nasarawa, near the Basa homeland. Speakers have shifted to Hausa. The language became extinct in the year 1987

4. Gamo (Buta) and Ningi

Gamo (Buta) and Ningi are an apparently extinct Kainji dialect cluster of Nigeria. The extinct date is also missing.

5. Kpati

Kpati is an extinct Grassfields languageformerly spoken in Taraba State, Nigeria. Extinct date missing

6. Kubi

Kubi (also known as Kuba, Kubawa) is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Bauchi State, Nigeria. Members of the ethnic group now speak Hausa. Extinct date missing

7. Mawa

Mawa is an extinct and unattested language of Nigeria. It was apparently different from a language of Chad also known as Mawa, and so is unclassified. Extinct date missing

8. Teshenawa

Teshenawa is an extinct Afro-Asiatic language formerly spoken in Jigawa State, Nigeria

9. Odut Language

Odut is an extinct Upper Cross River language of Nigeria. It was formerly spoken in Cross river State

10. Luri

The extinct Luri dialect is not well attested

What do you think can be done to prevent the extinction of Nigerian Languages in the society today?

- See more at: http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/09/23/10-nigerian-extinct-languages-and-what-you-think-can-be-done-to-save-perishing-nigerian-languages/#sthash.9docNcXa.dpuf

walahi i stayed in kainji for about 2 years & i never knew those languages existed. DAMN.

Is there really any way to save those languages? I doubt it. Not with the way we are been forced to speak english spanish french(i got flogged for failing this subject o) and even portuguese and oda useless foreign languages
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Fulaman198(m): 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
sirjohnson: This was what happened to the Argentinians and Mexicans....They speak only Spanish...Their original indigenous languages are gone with the wind.

Argentinians don't have many native people. I agree with you about Mexico though.
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by papazizii(m): 8:52pm On Sep 23, 2014
y is it dat most of d languages r frm d northern part of nigeria? cry
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by 19naia(m): 9:36pm On Sep 23, 2014
Extinction of languages is always happening.. The language jesus spoke is no longer spoken any more and only one language remains that is similar to it... Many languages change over time. Even English that is replacing the worlds languages is not the same as it was 500 years ago and it will not be the same 500 years from now...
Re: 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest by Pacesetter2: 10:45pm On Sep 23, 2014
The first thing is to make our native language the medium of communication in schools. Just like the passing of English is being made compulsory for admission and employment, so also must the students pass a native language before any further steps can be attained. With this, it makes the students more focused on the langauge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imoka Festival 2016: The beauty of great Awka culture (pics) / History: Arhuanran -the Giant Warrior Prince Of Benin Kingdom / The Origin Of The Slang "419" And Ghana-must-go(the Bag)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.