Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,169 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? (1768 Views)

Lai Mohammed Visits IDP Camp, Sees Horrific Conditions People Stay In (PICS) / Ben Bruce Sees No Point Why Gov Shettima Should Join PMB To Germany / Why Did Adekunle Make This Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by SirElaw(m): 11:24am On Sep 24, 2014
When speaking to journalists on the rumoured death of the boko haram islamic sect leader, Abubakar Shekau, President Goodluck Jonathan said "we can't be sure, you journalists would even know more than us". I'm guessing "us" in his statement refers to the government, the federal government to be precise which every security agency in this country should report to. I feel this is a very misplaced and misguided statement.
In times of security crisis like that caused by the boko haram sect in the North, we expect our security agencies to be on top of their game in the area of information gathering.
It is simply unheard of that journalists would have the upper hand in this area. It's one of two things, it's either the statement is true, if this doesn't send shivers down your spine in realisation of the current level of un-preparedness in the fight against this insurgency, I don't know what else will. Or, the statement is wrong, in which case Mr. President shouldn't have made such a declaration. #GodBlessNigeria

P.S: I couldn't get a source to support my claim of Mr. President making that statement as I heard it as an audio clip on a radio station but I got an article online of him making a similar statement
http://dailypost.ng/2014/05/05/chibok-kidnap-journalist-dont-know-girls-jonathan/
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by mstik(f): 11:34am On Sep 24, 2014
Misplaced and Misguided statement indeed
I wonder what exactly he was insinuating
Or let's just assume it was a careless slip of tongue

2 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by omenka(m): 11:35am On Sep 24, 2014
We dealt with this a long time ago naw. It is a shameless admission of cluelessness. Nothing new there.

2 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by lekkie073(m): 11:38am On Sep 24, 2014
am I d only one DAT sees the grammatical blunder of the title of this thread? sad

3 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by mistudreh(m): 11:52am On Sep 24, 2014
Only God knows if this is the GEJ I voted for in 2011. This guy too dey fall my hand!
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by ijawcitizen(m): 12:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
Na Wa for these Janjawa'ids! Mr President was only bullshiiting the question.It is a popular way public figures tackle baseless questions. If Janjawa'id Shekau was dead, would it be from a media chat that the public would be informed? Wouldn't you Janjawaid's pick more holes in that? Ya'all are victims of poor education.

6 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by SirElaw(m): 12:11pm On Sep 24, 2014
lekkie073: am I d only one DAT sees the grammatical blunder of the title of this thread? sad
Fixed
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by mperoakeem(m): 12:27pm On Sep 24, 2014
stealing is not corruption and less i 4get... Where is Gwoza sef
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
And you don't think he is referring to the lazy attitude of Nigerian journalists who resort to "rumor" journalism most of the the times, instead of investigative journalism.

7 Likes

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by eph12(m): 12:52pm On Sep 24, 2014
Maybe he was being sarcastic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by shizzle11(m): 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2014
mstik: Misplaced and Misguided statement indeed
I wonder what exactly he was insinuating
Or let's just assume it was a careless slip of tongue
Nothing misguided or misplaced about the staatement, by 'us' he simply means the populace (Nigerian people)
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by shizzle11(m): 12:56pm On Sep 24, 2014
brightmexy: And you don't think he is referring to the lazy attitude of Nigerian journalists who resort to "rumor" journalism most of the the times, instead of investigative journalism.
God bless you bruv

1 Like

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by amakufrancis(m): 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2014
lekkie073: am I d only one DAT sees the grammatical blunder of the title of this thread? sad
Bro is not only u oooo...
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by Switpal(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2014
You wil keep observin d NEGATIVE wen lukin 4 one. Team GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by Switpal(m): 1:08pm On Sep 24, 2014
No oh!

1 Like

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by isleman(m): 1:11pm On Sep 24, 2014
that exactly has always been my problem with him. his statements and acts are usually full of faults.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by obailala(m): 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
SirElaw: When speaking to journalists on the rumoured death of the boko haram islamic sect leader, Abubakar Shekau, President Goodluck Jonathan says "we can't be sure, you journalists would even know more than us". I'm guessing "us" in his statement refers to the government, the federal government to be precise which every security agency in this country should report to. I feel this is a very misplaced and misguided statement.
In times of security crisis like that caused by the boko haram sect in the North, we expect our security agencies to be on top of their game in the area of information gathering.
It is simply unheard of that journalists would have the upper hand in this area. It's one of two things, it's either the statement is true, if this doesn't send shivers down your spine in realisation of the current level of un-preparedness in the fight against this insurgency, I don't know what else will. Or, the statement is wrong, in which case Mr. President shouldn't have made such a declaration. #GodBlessNigeria
P.S: I couldn't get a source to support my claim of Mr. President making that statement as I heard it as an audio clip on a radio station but I got an article online of him making a similar statement
http://dailypost.ng/2014/05/05/chibok-kidnap-journalist-dont-know-girls-jonathan/

This isn't the first time GEJ has committed such a blunder... He said something similar in a media chat sometime ago. Considering the fact that he's already synonymous with blunders, I think this one can just be overlooked... You don't really want the wrath of his sycophants do you?
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by FlyboyZee: 5:47pm On Sep 24, 2014
isleman: that exactly has always been my problem with him. his statements and acts are usually full of faults.
Its a clever way of keeping you busy, while he does his work silently. You guys are even far more clueless than you would ever know. He tries to underplay situations and make them look silly or worthless so that you can be pondering what you are pondering while he is busy fixing what he had to fix to take Nigeria to the next level.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by FlyboyZee: 5:53pm On Sep 24, 2014
obailala:

This isn't the first time GEJ has committed such a blunder... He said something similar in a media chat sometime ago. Considering the fact that he's already synonymous with blunders, I think this one can just be overlooked... You don't really want the wrath of his sycophants do you?
Have you ever heard the Chinese President or Pm or even the Swiss PM speak English? My guy you go dodge. GEJ does that so that you and your ilk will have something to be talking about for a while, while he gets busy with his presidential duties. Gov. Fayemi wey na confirmed grammarian, how far with am? Its not by what he speaks to the press, its by what he is actually doing behind the scenes that is moving Nigeria on. Just like OBJ said then, that people should beat his pictures if thats the one thing that would make them happy. Where were you then? Mr. Pesident's English Grammer/Speech Fault Finder.
Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by obailala(m): 7:02pm On Sep 24, 2014
FlyboyZee:
Have you ever heard the Chinese President or Pm or even the Swiss PM speak English? My guy you go dodge. GEJ does that so that you and your ilk will have something to be talking about for a while, while he gets busy with his presidential duties. Gov. Fayemi wey na confirmed grammarian, how far with am? Its not by what he speaks to the press, its by what he is actually doing behind the scenes that is moving Nigeria on. Just like OBJ said then, that people should beat his pictures if thats the one thing that would make them happy. Where were you then? Mr. Pesident's English Grammer/Speech Fault Finder.

Hahaha... cheesy grin

Bro, what do you know we are talking about?... Who is referring to English grammar here?... Chaii!

it's obvious you don't even understand what the Op is talking about and maybe you just read only the title and the first sentence before jumping to comment cheesy

The issue here is why a president and C-in-C who is the chief security office of the nation would openly say/agree that mere journalists would be more up to date with such sensitive information than himself.

I know you may still be wondering why such a statement is an anomaly but imagine you hire a security man to guard your compound and while sleeping in your bedroom, you are awakened by the deafening sound of a gun.. You call you security man inside to get some info on what's going on outside and he tells you, "Oga I'm not sure... you would even know better than me"

Simple and plainly put, a king, president or any leader whatsoever shouldn't be making such utterances; it makes him look incompetent.

1 Like

Re: Am I The Only One Who Sees Something Wrong With This Statement? by SirElaw(m): 9:01pm On Sep 24, 2014
obailala:

Hahaha... cheesy grin

Bro, what do you know we are talking about?... Who is referring to English grammar here?... Chaii!

it's obvious you don't even understand what the Op is talking about and maybe you just read only the title and the first sentence before jumping to comment cheesy

The issue here is why a president and C-in-C who is the chief security office of the nation would openly say/agree that mere journalists would be more up to date with such sensitive information than himself.

I know you may still be wondering why such a statement is an anomaly but imagine you hire a security man to guard your compound and while sleeping in your bedroom, you are awakened by the deafening sound of a gun.. You call you security man inside to get some info on what's going on outside and he tells you, "Oga I'm not sure... you would even know better than me"

Simple and plainly put, a king, president or any leader whatsoever shouldn't be making such utterances; it makes him look incompetent.
God bless you for this. I was beginning to wonder why no one got what I was really pointing at. I believe we here are mature and learned minds who are capable of addressing issues for what they really are. I love GEJ and in the absence of a better candidate (which I don't see the APC fielding) would vote for him again. But such mistakes are inexcusable coming from the Chief Security Officer of the federation.
So calm your balls FlyboyZee. He might not be incompetent, but like obailala rightly said such statements make him look incompetent.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Oyigbo Township Roads In Rivers State / 2015 Election Prediction By British Election Statistic Compiler John Brown / Permanent Voters Card (PVC) Collection...my Bitter Experience Yesterday.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.