Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students (22233 Views)

UNIBEN Produces Heads Of 8 Tertiary Institutions In One Year / 5 Types Of Lecturers In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions / Why Nigerian Tertiary Institutions Are Not Attracting International Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by wayodude(m): 6:29am On Mar 18, 2016
ekeneidiagbor:
My guy the Nigerian educational system doesn't even attract its indigenuous students, talkless of foreigners..

Hahaha I bow o! Reminds me of that saying 'if person when say he wan dash you shirt, make you first look the one wen he dey wear' lol cheesy
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by crownwealth68(m): 6:45am On Mar 18, 2016
gbaskiboy:
The bad and rotten eggs has spoils the good ones... Everything in our system are runs by corrupt and mindless people
You are a Product of a Nigerian university, I now know why foreigners won't come.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Nature129(m): 7:09am On Mar 18, 2016
Most Nigerian govt-owned universities are not made to take in foreign students because they are not originally designed to. Nigeria has a shocking population with over 1million people seeking to gain admission into these schools annually. Nigerian schools can't absorb these people let alone foreigners.

This is why JAMB was created in the first place to reduce the number of "qualified people" that will be gaining admission into school.

Secondly, NUC gives a student admission quota to all schools which means NO school should exceed such figure/quota. Note that ALL new student admission figures are subject to NUC approval in FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES.

Therefore, most of these schools can't even meet the admission needs of Nigerians - the original owners - let alone foreigners. This explains why many youths go to Ghana and South Africa to go to school after trying unsuccessfully to gain admission into Nigerian schools
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by adeseun22(m): 7:19am On Mar 18, 2016
you said it all.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by adeseun22(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2016
ekeneidiagbor:
My guy the Nigerian educational system doesn't even attract its indigenuous students, talkless of foreigners..

let them know. buh some private institutions get small hope
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by porshuch: 7:23am On Mar 18, 2016
I think for no 1, jamb have foreign centres.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 18, 2016
Godswillnwaoma:
There is nothing good about this forced marriage called Nigerian, from education sector to power sector in fact all the sectors of the economy.
Sometimes I ask God this simple question which he refuses to answer me " upon all the countries in Europe and America why did he creates me in Nigeria?
I weep for Nigeria.

Back to the topic

Though what you wrote there are the core reasons why Nigeria universities can't attract foreign students.
Our leaders will never do something about it trust me, apart from oga Jonathan which among the politicians in this country that he or her children is schooling here absolutely none and u think they will do something about it. (make I hear)
But in unizik here we have few foreign students from Lebanese, china and some within the African countries. Unizik dey try naaaa.
yah I met like three Asian student in engineering department.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by tiredface: 7:45am On Mar 18, 2016
DONT FORGET, MOST STUDENTS HAVE TO SLEEP WITH THEIR LECTURALS BEFORE GRATUATING. HOW IS THAT ATTRACTIVE?
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Muyiii(m): 7:51am On Mar 18, 2016
Chartey:
There are quite a number of international students in ABU. I know there are a few in Unilorin too.

International students from where please?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by CurrentSamuel(m): 8:02am On Mar 18, 2016
This Years UNIBEN aspirants You can reach me for Information and friendship 08160908587 whatsap & call
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Justicealh3(m): 8:03am On Mar 18, 2016
Mr Poster of the post. Are past government & corrent government know about this
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Onegai(f): 8:11am On Mar 18, 2016
A university in the U.S. created an area where students could unwind by using colouring books, playing wih pets etc. They did this because final examinations were coming up and the school administrators know that stressed students yield poor results.

Nigerian universities and their lecturers are delighted when they hear students complaining of exhaustion and stress and will tell you "we are training you" whilst cramming obsolete information into your brain. And most of them will fight against change.

However, some small enclaves in the university system are beginning to realize that mediocrity begets mediocrity and asking more qualified lecturers to come. I heard that Mechanical Engineering dept in UNILAG now has a few lecturers from MIT teaching (great news).

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by PhilipRex(m): 8:36am On Mar 18, 2016
Please the federal government should help the situation of indefinite strike embark on by Federal polytechnic, Auchi staff, in February they went on same strike over non payment of two months salary and arias before it was suspend after the Acting Rector Dr. Jafaru Braimoh pleaded with aggrieved staffs and lecturers of the institution but yesterday 17th March 2016 afternoon around 1:50pm it took another dimension when staff and lecturers went on protest, students where chase out of the school premises, Academic activities where abortive. Now students are helpless, calling on the Federal government President Mohanmado Buhari, the comrade governor and Auchi poly Acting Rector to dialogue with the aggrieved staff for the strike be call-off.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Touchey: 8:52am On Mar 18, 2016
stanley4246:
True talk bro From waec to neco From neco to gce From gce to nabteb Less I forget JAMB Last bus stop
you forgot to mention post UME
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by harsysky(m): 9:42am On Mar 18, 2016
You forgot NO 5-- These half-baked lecturers act like they are doing you a favor when even the Govt know that it is the students' money that feed them. Most Nigerian lecturers are just good for nothing!
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by litaninja(m): 9:54am On Mar 18, 2016
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by jantavanta(m): 10:40am On Mar 18, 2016
onoja12:
Number 3 is quite far from the truth,the united state does not fund universities,universities are self funded and the fees are expensive,the cost of formal education in Nigeria is not realistic and if you try to increase it there would be problems with the union.formal education is not cheap in fact it is a business on its own

Very true. In addition, the average US citizen aspires to College, not University. And they have to take students' loans that they will be struggling to repay. Nothing like State Bursary.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by jantavanta(m): 10:45am On Mar 18, 2016
We need to redefine our educational system to meet the needs, resourced, demands and capacity. What happened to our Technical Colleges? Why can I not go to a School of Design or a School of Music?

Why does everyone Nigerian Youth have to go to a University to have a future?
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Chartey(m): 12:10pm On Mar 18, 2016
Muyiii:

International students from where please?
In ABU, West and Central Africa, India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. There were a few Chinese some few years back.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by fm7070: 2:57pm On Mar 18, 2016
have they finished attracting local students?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Simplest Word You Forgot To Spell In An Exam Hall? / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? / As Minors, What Happens To The Students Who Tortured Sylvester If Found Guilty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.