Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:32 PM

Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation (27720 Views)

Egypt Air Reacts To Joshua Abdul-azeez's Story / (A Must Read) How Egypt Air Wrongly Flew Me To Another Country, Tore My Passport / Who Has Taken Ethiopian Airlines/royal Maroc/ Egypt Air From London, UK To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by siegfried99(m): 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
Abeg who get the boy contact details? grin grin

Make him come marry my younger sister oo grin

$$$$$
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Omooba77: 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2014
We need to voice out our grievances against all these people.....
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by nokingasgod: 12:56pm On Sep 25, 2014
THumps up to Abike Dabiri for this and other lofty ideals she had demonstrated over time.
Thumps up to Egyptair for admitting their guilt. It is a classic example of the lessons in PR 101. PR is not about embellishment or glossing over issues.

Sure if it were to be any of Egyptair's Nigerian counterparts, it would have been a story of whodunit!
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Edoblakky(m): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
40 whips with a wet camel's tail to the elegbere who had the guts to damage the Nigeria passport. I'm just wondering if it was an American passport, would it have been damaged even if it was on a wrong route?
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by ceejay80s(m): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
I get international passport, who go tear my own?
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
tempest01: Mega hammer....they should also starve me for 3 days....I don't mind.

lol... no go do copy copy oh my brother.... at the end dem fit settle you with #500 mtn recharge card!!!!
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by fsb(m): 1:47pm On Sep 25, 2014
It was a very sad story. I can't imagine someone going to school going through all that torment. Egypt Air should be made to pay a compensation to the defendant and the Government of Turkey must be reigned in to explain why an ordinary immigration officer would show disrespect to Nigerians and our government by tearing an International passport.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Litmus: 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hope this is true because it will be a validation for the act of Nigerians pursuing wrongful acts against them instead of meekly accepting all manner of persecution in the name of trying to appease those people who want to lay all blame on the Nigerian character or government of the day. I pray for the day when Nigerians always stand together and stand up for the rights of Nigerians persecuted wherever they may reside.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by manny4life(m): 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
Good news for the boy, at least he should be compensated for his torture... As much as this is great, this is a slap on our face... How about the torn passport? Will Nigerian Govt dole out a serious penalty for destroying its property? angry
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Litmus: 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
The Egyptians are to be commended too for their professionalism, South Africa would never have complied with the rule of law and would have sort to used all these jumped up anti Nigeria attitudes to get away with unlawful and uncivilized behavior.

1 Like

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by dasparrow: 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
Litmus: The Egyptians are to be commended too for their professionalism, South Africa would never have complied with the rule of law and would have sort to used all these jumped up anti Nigeria attitudes to get away with unlawful and uncivilized behavior.

The Egyptians are not professional that is why the unfortunate incidence happened in the first place. As for South Africa, by the time Nigeria bans South African Airlines from our airspace and sends their numerous businesses in Nigeria packing, nobody will remind South Africa to do the needful especially when there is sufficient proof that they did mess up.

@Post

I am so happy and thank Jehovah God the boy is getting compensated. In my humble opinion, US $10 million is what he should get and those who tore the Nigerian passport should be duly punished or their country's embassy banned from Nigeria. What rubbish! These are the kind of incidences that can turn an otherwise kind person racist.

2 Likes

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by balogundayo(m): 3:36pm On Sep 25, 2014
His life's changed
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by davymen(m): 4:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
nokingasgod: THumps up to Abike Dabiri for this and other lofty ideals she had demonstrated over time.
Thumps up to Egyptair for admitting their guilt. It is a classic example of the lessons in PR 101. PR is not about embellishment or glossing over issues.

Sure if it were to be any of Egyptair's Nigerian counterparts, it would have been a story of whodunit!

Abeg o, no be same Dabiri wey fired southafrica them back when them deported some Nigerians on the issue of yellow card then.. Pls some body oo
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by whitecat1: 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2014
Way to go!

All the jobless lawyers will make a lot of money off the foreigners who think Nigerians are slaves if only they can think and stop worshipping anything from pale to yellow skins. They will make money and restore dignity to Nigeria.

I can't imagine a foreigner beating a pregnant nigerian over 10,000 naira she gets paid at the end of the month.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by anitank(f): 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2014
I'm not bothered about how much they pay the boy, good thing they'd compensate him for their incompetence...... however I'm more concerned about what they did to that arrogant fool that tore a Nigerian passport with the statement "bloody Nigerians", and if they took necessary measures to make sure such incident never occurs again. Imagine Egypt of all countries
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Mclick(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
Omooba77: ABUJA—The management of Egypt Air, which was accused of maltreatment and wrongful deportation of a Nigerian medical student, Joshua Kunle Abdul-Azeez, studying in Ukraine and tearing his Nigerian international passport has admitted making a mistake and offered to compensate the student.
This followed an intervention by the House of Representatives Committee on Diaspora.
Having received a complaint filed against Egypt Air, the committee, led by Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa yesterday met with representatives of the Airline on circumstances surrounding the alleged negligence, harassment and deportation of the complainant back to Nigeria aboard EgyptAir.
It will be recalled that Saturday Vanguard had exclusively reported how Mr Abdulazeez was detained two Saturdays ago, starved for four days and his passport torn to shreds.
According to Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa (APC, Lagos), “the error of not ascertaining the final destination of the complainant from his ticket was that of Egypt Air.’’
‘’If you are going to London for instance, your final destination must be known before your visa is approved or before air ticket would be accepted by airline operators,’’ she said.
She added that ‘’ours is that, once a Nigerian is ill-treated anywhere in the world, we must make sure that justice is done’’.
Putting the issues in perspective, legal representative of Egypt Air, Robert Clarke (SAN), told the Committee that though the incident of maltreatment and harassment as reported did not occur while the complainant was still in the physical custody of Egypt Air, the issue of negligence arising from wrong routing of his destination in the ticket was a mistake his clients cannot deny.
He said, ‘’although, my clients made a mistake when his ticket was being routed which had to do with the exchange between Egypt Air and a Turkish airline, however, the boy partly caused the problem for himself when he entered a Turkish airline that was not going to Kiev. He tried to board a plane that was going to Moldova, that was when it was discovered that he did not have a visa to that destination’’.
‘’The truth is that, we made a mistake on his ticket; that much we are ready to admit and make compensation as appropriate. We wronged the boy. We were negligent and he has suffered tremendous damage for which we are ready to own up and address accordingly. I feel for the young man for having suffered on the account of our mistake of not routing his ticket to his final destination, which was Kiev’’, he said.
He also hinted that the matter has assumed a legal dimension following a notice of service by some lawyers on behalf of the boy, claiming damages in huge sum of money.
‘’Two weeks ago, some lawyers wrote to the airline claiming a huge sum of money in damages, so as we speak now, the matter has gone beyond the realm of this Committee to a Federal High Court according to the letter we got’’, he explained.
Joshua Abdul-Azeez, 17 was on his way to Kiev, the Ukrainian capital when his passport was seized and torn by Immigration officials at the Istanbul Airport in Turkey for not possessing a visa to his preferred destination, Moldova.
However, in his petition to the House Committee on Diaspora, he alleged that his ordeal was caused by the lack of professionalism on the part of Egypt Air which handled his travel arrangements from Nigeria.
The Committee however urged the Airline to reach an amicable settlement with the young man and take necessary measures to avoid future occurrences.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/torn-nigerian-passport-egypt-air-admits-error-offers-pay-compensation/#sthash.ihBu6I8Z.dpuf
good move, Abike Dabiri, a vibrant and good rep, how I wish majority of our reps are like her
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by blowb(m): 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
This is a disgrace to nigeria... Why always naija... They should give the young man 8million for damages
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by beelon1020(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
Oya make i go fly Egypt Airline too grin grin grin... my own na $2billion compensation grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by IbokUtoroh(m): 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Bigcake: Ikpa those modafuckers needs to respect Nigerians for tearing our passport. Mkpo abonodieh?

abono nnennen.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
I remember when this gist came up some few weeks back. we were seriously angry but now i am happy that our government is now kind of serious
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by delishpot: 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Abike Dabiri yeye wa. Thank you o. God bless you and fight all ya wicked enemies and make them pay up like egypt air.

Turkish Airport with their wahala
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by souleymon(m): 7:41pm On Sep 25, 2014
The story first came up on lailaisblog
lurvy: undecided
[size=15pt]Everyone is talking about how much compensation should be given to the boy...

Nobody is appreciating NAIRALAND where the story was first reported and made available to the whole world!

So NAIRALAND should continue with free service to humanity, abi?[/size] lipsrsealed
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by caxim04(m): 8:19pm On Sep 25, 2014
Egypt Air should have been barred from operating until the issue is resolved because its a national carrier. Then ask them to produce the guyy that tore our national pride. Am sure the US marine would have been stationed along the Suez canal if it was an American pp. Our passport is our pride, tearing it is like destroying our Natinal flag. Its a slap on our face and not just the boy. 'O ju ti o re mi oju oti mi,o ntoun o lojuti ni'. If my friend was shamed and i feel less concerned then am a fool (i hope am right).
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Omooba77: 8:56pm On Sep 25, 2014
Naija na blessed country.......Full of divergence.......
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Crazyadlin(f): 9:18pm On Sep 25, 2014
Bigcake: Dabiri has done us proud. Right from her days in the NTA she was always standing tall against injustice. For the boy i suggest $2million and a full page apology that will run for one week in five major Nigerian newspapers and two international news stations in the likes of Aljazeera and BBC. For once Nigerians must be heard and honoured, just my submission.
dt is Truism my bro ur so on point
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Bigcake: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2014
Crazyadlin: dt is Truism my bro ur so on point
ntang sifitidi. How Uyo na?
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by HopeAlive14(m): 10:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
God bless Mrs. Abike Dabiri. She is a patriot.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 25, 2014
All these so called developed country you guys are always, hyping do you think they don't have problems but becuz they no what true patriotism is ,they condemn it internally not post online so anybody can read. FYI " that how they keep growing"

I think the short coming of the present leaders is a tip of the iceberg compare to what the future holds.
you guys ague,insult each other online like you don't live in the same country and make the country look like trash in the eyes of aliens giving them leverage to insult us on our own forum.

Guys as learned as you guys are,you must know that the outside world know close to nothing about this country they only believe what they read online and use them as facts. they probably haven't even left the shores of their home town.
You should know that anything posted online can be
seen by the whole world.

If you want to make a change about this country then every single letter you post online in a public forum about the country and its government should be positive Cuz that is required of you as a citizen that claims to care.

where you come from and who you support does not matter as long as you salute to the "Green white Green" all your effort must be to support the country.
if you are always posting trash about the country then you should know that we as a people make up the country.

Nobody denies that all is well but we only course more harm than good when we keep promoting the negativity to the outside world.
I mean for crying out loud the internet is not an indigenous radio house or the house of senate.

Stop posting trash about the country all in the name of making traffic.
if you want the change you glamour for start changing our picture in the public eye with your resources (mb) online and fight injustice,ethnicity,corruption,tribalism nd the rest internally that is the only way we can attain the height we rightfully deserve.

change can only happen when we stop all this and start doing the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by smileyprin(m): 11:01pm On Sep 25, 2014
Actually According to prof. Pius Adesanmi's write up on his facebook wall, he said our minister of state for foreign affairs played a very big role in the issue, giving the egyptian ambassador an earful nd warnings.
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by Nobody: 4:26am On Sep 26, 2014
gift01: Dora was never a political politician. Being in a rowdy house for a very long time is very good experience she needs. She knows the twists and turns of politics in Nigeria. Give her a chance! Abike Dabiri Erewa for Lagos 2015
Abike Dabiri is running for Lagos Governor?
Re: Torn Passport: Egypt Air Admits Error, To Pay Compensation by bigtt76(f): 5:37am On Sep 26, 2014
The boy go be like ....from Kiev to Harvard University straight away after compensation grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Egypt, Lebanon Evacuate Citizens From Nigeria / When You Move To A New Place, What Is That First Thing You Look For?? / There Is No Difference Between Nigeria Air And MMM — Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.