Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

What Is Existentialism? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Existentialism? (1687 Views)

The Limits Of Existentialism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Difficult to pinpoint but highly influential, what is Existentialism?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Chubhie: 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
That you exist and in your existence you define yourself subjectively. Nothing is cast on rock. You shape your world through the choices you make. Quite a lot to learn in existentialism!!!
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Oduduwaboy(m): 4:08pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hmmm. Why not do a lil bit of google/wikipedia search. Its a deep philosophical phenomenon.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Difficult to pinpoint but highly influential, what is Existentialism?

Define your own purpose.Free to choose your own values.

It's the end result of realizing there is no objective or discernable purpose/meaning of life and creating your own purpose/meaning within the confines of reason.

I'm sure you have some material from gotquestions.org that will attempt to condemn existentialism by saying that pupose comes from your god. Go ahead, post it.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:26pm On Sep 25, 2014
Chubhie:

That you exist and in your existence you define yourself subjectively. Nothing is cast on rock. You shape your world through the choices you make. Quite a lot to learn in existentialism!!!

I believe it is an humanistic ideology that Christians have now imbibed whereby we now identify God's Word through our own experience. In essence, we decide what is true by our likes, desires, or biases. An example is that almost all Christians believes in heaven, but almost no one believes in hell. shocked
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
Oduduwaboy:

Hmmm. Why not do a lil bit of google/wikipedia search. Its a deep philosophical phenomenon.

I want you to give us your opinion of this deep philosophical phenomenon.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
Martian:

Define your own purpose.Free to choose your own values.

It's the end result of realizing there is no objective or discernable purpose/meaning of life and creating your own purpose/meaning within the confines of reason.

I'm sure you have some material from gotquestions.org that will attempt to condemn existentialism by saying that pupose comes from your god. Go ahead, post it.

I'm sure that is an atheistic worldview which unfortunately has been brought into Christianity.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by PastorAIO: 7:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I believe it is an humanistic ideology that Christians have now imbibed whereby we now identify God's Word through our own experience. In essence, we decide what is true by our likes, desires, or biases. An example is that almost all Christians believes in heaven, but almost no one believes in hell. shocked

Na today? Hasn't this always been the way? You yourself are a prime expert at this 'deciding what is true by ... likes, desires or biases'.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Chubhie: 7:58am On Sep 26, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What's your position on humanist ideas? Are they bad in themselves hence, should be disregarded totally?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 26, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I'm sure that is an atheistic worldview which unfortunately has been brought into Christianity.

Existentialism is part and parcel of every thinking man. Emphasis on thinking.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
PastorAIO:

Na today? Hasn't this always been the way? You yourself are a prime expert at this 'deciding what is true by ... likes, desires or biases'.

Can you give instances where I have been a culprit?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2014
Chubhie:

What's your position on humanist ideas? Are they bad in themselves hence, should be disregarded totally?

They are neither here nor there, the Word of God should be our final authority on all matters.

1 Like

Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

Existentialism is part and parcel of every thinking man. Emphasis on thinking.

Do you trust your thoughts?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by PastorAIO: 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Can you give instances where I have been a culprit?

I could if I had the time and energy. I don't have the time or energy for that. those who know you know what you're like.

1 Like

Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:13pm On Sep 29, 2014
PastorAIO:

I could if I had the time and energy. I don't have the time or energy for that. those who know you know what you're like.

grin grin grin From the delineation below what position do you feel I will take?

1 Like

Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 29, 2014
[.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:38pm On Sep 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "What is existentialism?"

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/existentialism.html#ixzz3Ej9rmA00

Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 29, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Do you trust your thoughts?
Can you stop thinking? You are your thoughts, you slowpoke. There is no separation.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On Sep 30, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

Can you stop thinking? You are your thoughts, you slowpoke. There is no separation.

Ok, let's do some thinking as to why you cannot believe in your thoughts:

"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought.

But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London.

But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an atheist or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: So I can never use thought to disbelieve in God". C.S. Lewis.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 01, 2014
What a retarded response. Lucifer forbid I quote or even reply to such a post. What do they feed these Christians?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:20am On Oct 02, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Answer: Existentialism is not so much a formal system of philosophy as it is a general orientation to philosophical issues. It was most popular in Europe in the early twentieth century. It was a reaction to the Enlightenment’s overconfidence in human reason. Some of the influences that likely made it attractive include Kierkegaard’s insight that Christian faith cannot be reduced to a set of rational propositions but that it also includes wider emotional and relational implications. Even more significantly, historical events such as the devastation of World War I, the economic collapses of the 1920s and 1930s, and the horrors of World War II displayed the false hope of modernism that human reason can overcome all problems.

Existentialism, accordingly, downplays the ability of human reason. It despairs of finding individual and communal significance in reference to one’s place in a rational, ordered cosmos. Rational order itself is suspect for existentialists. Therefore, rational explanation takes a back seat to other approaches for finding meaning. Some existentialists express meaning in terms of an individual’s achievements in transcending his or her circumstances. Others express it in terms of the meaning that comes from connecting and communicating with others about human experience. The experience of being is the focus. Rational explanation is put aside.

How can a Christian helpfully respond to the claims of existentialism? On the one hand, a Christian can agree that modernism has a false hope in the ability of human reason to meet and overcome every challenge. Indeed, there are many things that, according to biblical teaching, are only overcome by the grace of God, including the problems of human sin and death itself. Also, Christians acknowledge that there are many things that human reason cannot discover and which are only found if God should choose to reveal them. On the other hand, a Christian disagrees with existentialism’s spirit of hopelessness. Christianity highly emphasizes two aspects of the future. First, Christianity affirms the final judgment at which all that is wrong, disordered, and broken will be finally put right, since Christ will return at the end of time to vanquish all evil from the cosmos and to reign over all. Second, Christianity affirms the ultimately hopeful future reality for all who trust in Christ, namely, the experience of resurrection, everlasting life, and absolute completion of sanctification, all these given freely by the grace of God. Multitudes of biblical passages could be cited concerning these two aspects of the future. Here is one of the many, Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/existentialism.html#ixzz3EwEXCHbe
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:11pm On Oct 18, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

What a retarded response. Lucifer forbid I quote or even reply to such a post. What do they feed these Christians?

The Word of God, which is quick and sharper than two edged sword. cool
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Kay17: 11:34pm On Oct 22, 2014
Let's assume all humans are fundamentally different in character, personality, orientations etc.

Each human stands out as an individual with a revolving identity around him/her

It follows that such individual has he/her purpose towards which he/her identity is driven to

Can Christianity satisfy us on each and every one of our individual purposes?!
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2014
Kay17:

Let's assume all humans are fundamentally different in character, personality, orientations etc.

Each human stands out as an individual with a revolving identity around him/her

It follows that such individual has he/her purpose towards which he/her identity is driven to

Can Christianity satisfy us on each and every one of our individual purposes?!

Yes, provided you know your purpose here on earth. cool
Re: What Is Existentialism? by gatiano(m): 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2014
that we are composed of atoms, GOD is a MAN, HE exists!
how can anybody describe an atom? correct me if i'm wrong, i think atom in yoruba mean "ashe" meaning amen, amin (let it be).
OLAADEGBU:
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Kay17: 10:38pm On Nov 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, provided you know your purpose here on earth. cool

How does Christianity provide for each and every person's unique purpose? Please do not mistake purpose with salvation.

1 Like

Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2014
Kay17:

How does Christianity provide for each and every person's unique purpose? Please do not mistake purpose with salvation.

Our purpose is to glorify the Lord. Have you discovered how you are to glorify the Lord?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Kay17: 9:55pm On Dec 31, 2014
Hence God is not independent of self glory?
Re: What Is Existentialism? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:12pm On Jul 25, 2015
Kay17:

Hence God is not independent of self glory?

"But you are holy, O you that inhabit the praises of Israel" (Psalm 22:3).

God inhabits the praises of His people.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Anas09: 11:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Wait. Seriously, this Sonoflucifer guy, is he really serious about being a son of lucifer or is he just joking. Just curious.
Re: What Is Existentialism? by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 13, 2015
Anas09:
Wait. Seriously, this Sonoflucifer guy, is he really serious about being a son of lucifer or is he just joking. Just curious.
wink

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Woman (or Witch) Caught Defecating In A Pastor's Home / How Was Sunday Chosen As A Sacred Day? / Dead Man Brought Back To Life After A Catholic Priest Pray On His Coffin (PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.