Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,324 members, 7,819,108 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out (15475 Views)

See This BIG Crab Am About To Eat / Six Foods To Avoid Before You Meet Your Woman In Bed / How To Avoid The "gas" Effect Of Beans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Adesiji77: 10:34pm On Sep 26, 2014
Probably the most common piece of personal finance advice out there is to save money by avoiding restaurants. It sounds so simple: just don’t eat out and cook at home or brown-bag it. Lots of people do it and have no problem with it.

But, for some people, it can be tough. We all have our own weak spots when it comes to personal finance and what can be no sweat for one person can be a real test of willpower for another.

Here are some suggestions that can help you if you find it difficult to avoid the temptation to eat out. My approach to personal finance is holistic; I believe that other areas of our lives can affect our personal finances and becoming as healthy, balanced and happy as possible as people can empower us to take charge of our money. So bear with me if some of my ideas seem a bit out there.

• Think about why you like to go out to eat. Is the food more delicious than you can make at home? Do you enjoy the convenience? Are you too tired at the end of the day? Do you find it difficult to cook at home because of a lack of organisation and planning? Is it peer pressure or a desire for company?

If you know more about why you like to eat out, it will be easier to find a solution that meets your needs. After all, you can have a fully stocked fridge and pantry and a gourmet kitchen but if you’re too tired to cook, the restaurants will still be calling your name.

•Try thinking about the little negatives that come with going out to eat the next time you are tempted to stop in and grab a bite. Perhaps you don’t like the noise in restaurants or having to wait for the server to get you another glass of water when you’re thirsty. It can be a hassle to find parking and by the time you’re done half the night is gone. Maybe you always get heartburn or feel stressed about getting back to the office in time.

Take note of the obvious too: restaurants cost a lot of money, the food is often less healthy than home-made and the portions are too large. Remember, it is almost always easier to make a decision based on the short term effects rather than the long term ones, but the long term effects are much more important!

• Be creative in finding a way to eat home cooked food that works with your schedule, preferences and habits, not against it. For some people, it’s menu planning or once a month cooking. Others stock their freezers with Lean Cuisines or live on sandwiches, salads, fruit and cold cereal.

Don’t feel bad if you have no idea how to organise and plan a week’s worth of meals. It’s definitely a skill and many of us were not taught. You can find a wealth of resources to walk you through it, including shopping lists and recipes.

If you don’t like cooking, there is nothing wrong with assembling. There is no rule that food has to be hot to be nourishing, so why not stock your fridge with fixings for sandwiches and salads? Many Crock pot recipes take very little effort and would work both for those who hate to cook and those who are simply too tired.

Restaurant food is delicious but remember that they generally use much more fat, salt and sugar than we do at home. The more you get used to the more subtle flavours of home cooking, the less you’ll crave your favourite restaurant dishes.

• Find the right balance in your life. Modern life is exhausting, believe me I get it! That said, there are few things more important than making sure your body has adequate nutrition so it should be a priority. If you don’t have the time or energy to prepare food for yourself and your family, it’s time to look at your schedule and find out what you can cut to get that time and energy back.

Of course, if you are happy with how often you eat at restaurants, then ignore the above. If you have a partner and older children, there is absolutely no reason why all of the burden should fall on one person. Even if they are not able to cook, they can certainly take on some of the other household chores to give you and let you rest.

• Take care of yourself. If you’re not getting enough sleep and working too hard, then it’s going to be difficult for you to find the willpower to resist the temptation to eat out and to have the energy to make smart food choices.

Many times we look at eating in a restaurant as a small treat for ourselves or a respite from our responsibilities. We don’t have to cook, serve or clean up or do much else besides say our order and pay the bill. It’s not easy to give that up, especially if you’re up to your ears dealing with work, family or school.

It’s important to have things in our lives that make us feel good and taken care of. If restaurants filled that role for you, you’ll want to find something else to take its place. Be aware of that need and make choices that are good for both your wallet and your health.

• Remember that it’s still okay to go to restaurants. Just in a way that fits into your goals for spending and healthy eating. Knowing that it’s not completely off limits can make it easier to delay gratification.

You’ll get more satisfaction if you choose places that are memorable and offer you a new experience. Don’t settle for eating over-priced reheated food at mediocre restaurants for an inflated price.

BusinessDay

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by justi4jesu(f): 6:19am On Sep 27, 2014
I dont eat out.........i only eat out when its MACDONALDS OR KFC tongue tongue

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by datbay(m): 6:20am On Sep 27, 2014
Noted
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 27, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by AMAKAVIOLA: 6:20am On Sep 27, 2014
Nairalanders and their endless list of Do(s) and Dont(s)... I just tire for una

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by CharlieMaria(m): 6:21am On Sep 27, 2014
No need because I don't resist such temptations. grin

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by madridguy(m): 6:23am On Sep 27, 2014
Copied. Tango Yankee
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 27, 2014
Water and lemon/lime! Finish smiley

(to me anyway)
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Johnbosco77(m): 6:24am On Sep 27, 2014
eating out is sometimes good. just b mindful of where u eat out side. and always maintain eating there most times.
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Lilaex: 6:24am On Sep 27, 2014
Ah day cum
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by sammieguze(m): 6:25am On Sep 27, 2014
Good write up. I don't eat out though
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by stinggy(m): 6:26am On Sep 27, 2014
Stop discouraging us OP.
[size=14pt]Mama-put[/size] - saving bachelors since.... grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by bruno419(m): 6:26am On Sep 27, 2014
#teammamacook'sbest!
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by gbaskiboy: 6:27am On Sep 27, 2014
Summary please
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by kennyonthrone(m): 6:30am On Sep 27, 2014
Owk I ve heard you

Through out my school dayz datz wat helped me out,who get time to enter kitchen
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by adebrave1(m): 6:31am On Sep 27, 2014
I was here
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Rilwayne001: 6:31am On Sep 27, 2014
ok
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Nobody: 6:32am On Sep 27, 2014
It's not temptation for me grin
...my husband takes me out a lot of weekends to eat...it's just a way of spicing this shii up...lol.
Like today/tomorrow, I'm not going to boil water gan. Ok, I might boil...bc of my smallie undecided
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by TRADELYN: 6:33am On Sep 27, 2014
embarassed Who does not eat out
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by popson1st: 6:33am On Sep 27, 2014
#TeamMamaPut
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 27, 2014
I don't eat out,they bring the food to my house. Home delivery things.

2 Likes

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Chinaimporter: 6:38am On Sep 27, 2014
[size=14pt]PLAN, INVEST AND MAKE MONEY VERY FAST AND YOU WILL STOP THINKING ABOUT POVERTY INITIATIVES LIKE THIS
I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS ONCE LIKE YOU WORKING AS A WELL PAID SLAVE IN ONE ON NIGERIA BEST BANK AND MAKING CLOSE TO 4 MILLION NAIRA IN A YEAR THEN I WOKE UP ONE MORNING AND RESIGNED.
MADE MY PLANS AND ACCELATE THE IMPLEMENTATION, PRAYED TO GOD THEN INVESTED IN SNAKE FARMING FOR MAKING OF ANTIVENOMS AND SNAKE LEATHER.
LO AND BEHOLD, I OWN MY LIFE AND HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF SAVING FOR FEW KOBOS BY NOT EATING OUT UNLESS YOU MEAN FOR DIETING PURPOSED.
BROS OWN YOUR LIFE TODAY AND BECOME AN ENTERPRENEUR.....GO INTO FIELDS THAT FEW PEOPLE WILL ATTEMPT GOING INTO AND YOU WILL BECOME A MASTER OF YOUR OWN DESTINY

SNAKE FARMING IS A VERY LUCRATIVE BUIZ......AND YOU DONT NEED INSURANCE BECAUSE NO ARMED ROBBER WILL EVEN COME TO YOUR DOMAIN[/size]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by DesChyko: 6:39am On Sep 27, 2014
Get hooked with a super-cook who loves her kitchen.
And keep in mind what that money you're about to waste will do for her, your kids and your close 'uns.
But for grabbing a drink outside, hey, the boys gotta have some fun.

1 Like

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by klodike(m): 6:41am On Sep 27, 2014
No time to cook jare
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Pavore9: 6:43am On Sep 27, 2014
hmmm..l do not eat out, am happier being certain with what enters my mouth. l have found my way around feeding cheaper in Nairobi as l know 'koro' markets where l get my fruits and vegetables at rock bottom prices, just like what l have in the picture as they cost a total of 205 Kenyan shillings (N390), so l have no excuse to eat out moreover not Kenyan meals that is so off from Nigerian dishes as l can never adapt to eating cooked cabbage nor meals without pepper grin

4 Likes

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by Olusanya333(m): 6:45am On Sep 27, 2014
Sorry to say this *BUT IS NONE OF MY BUISNESS*
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by walex2bad(m): 6:46am On Sep 27, 2014
As a single guy living alone in his hostel in school, do you expect me to cook when I get home after sitting for almost 6hrs in a lecture room. It's tiring. The best option is to branch a bukateria when broke. But if I've got little change, Sis Biggs or Item7 will do.. Nah girls dey get time to cook jare..
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by krystal101(f): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2014
Cooking is way expensive & hygienic though. But mehhhnnn sometimes you gotta treat yourself. Not mama put ooooo. Most of them are dirty

4 Likes

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by mascot87(m): 6:49am On Sep 27, 2014
Op, have you eaten madam dogood asaro before?

1 Like

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by timilehing(m): 6:49am On Sep 27, 2014
Guys eat outside, men eat at home. Eating outside is a swag while eating at home is a CLASS. Sharing plates, spoons & others outside is very very risky. Ask your nutritionist

1 Like

Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by zappyj(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2014
@Chinaimporter..snake farming angry
Re: Ways To Avoid The Temptation To Eat Out by bercarray(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangers Of Consuming Genetically Modified Foods / Healthy Sweet Potato Porridge: How To Prepare Nigerian Sweet Potato Porridge / Organic Coconut Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.