Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan (23826 Views)

‘Ambode Has Reduced Poverty’ / Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% / We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by seangy4konji: 11:08pm On Sep 27, 2014
Its absurd when this man still categorize us...The poverty level is extremely high and its not because all of them are not educated or lazy,They simple cant get a job with their degrees and just settling for anything and even people without degree but with entrepreneur skills but with no one to give loan to float the talent will still live in face me and face you...Na common sense only and you spew this rubbish boss

I have promised not to abuse you cause i know you dont know anything about all you are saying and just clueless about everything...

I would advice you as one African president used to say and i hear him on Edmond obilo show and he says my people love me because i always say the truth and they know that if i dont have anything good or true to say to them?I always keep quiet so they love me...You can see that no blame on your beautiful loving wife now when she has kept her mouth shut instead of trying to show the world she is running the country instead of youWe all know you got no clue anyway so please just keep quiet and loot all you can while there,You are not the first and will not be the last,we are young and have all witnessed the death of your leaders who looted but never looted like you and your whoring ministers and partners...time will tell..

Nigeria will decide when its time but if its poverty

Its all around and lets just say Thank God for keeping us alive cos God is bigger than ALL OF YOU.

5 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 11:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
pascyj: So there's extreme hunger in Nigeria, Pdp can kill.#smh.Since 1999.He has finally reduced it by 50%.Tell poor extreme hunger-beaten Nigerians other lies.Believing you since forever.

I only stated what the man said, what you choose to make of it, is your problem.
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Orinameh2(m): 11:12pm On Sep 27, 2014
I knw see hw d topic take relate to hw dem dey hail *pdp* nd GEJ i no undastand oh
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 27, 2014
atlwireles:

I only stated what the man said, what you choose to make of it, is your problem.
Ok,you were there.The journalists weren't.I understand,I was just telling you whatever the man said,however he said it, it's still a lie. I'm hoping you understand this now.
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2014
when the number one of country is a lair then what would the fellowers be? criminal!

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
emperorgoke: when the number one of country is a lair then what would the fellowers be? criminal!

It changes from Nigeria to Liegeria

3 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by ProfyJay(m): 11:23pm On Sep 27, 2014
pelvicky: Our president is working.,but its unfortunate haters won't see it.

Gej till 2050
. Sharaap!! He said he has reduced poverty by 50 percent (is that working?) He also stood at the UN and told the whole world that the girls have been in captivity for over 3mnths instead of 5mnths ( does that still sound like working?)

3 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Maestronaija(m): 11:24pm On Sep 27, 2014
Goddex:

Why?
The statistics are there - World Bank, IMF etc
It doesn't mean that everybody is now rich but poverty has definitely reduced

You so funny... World bank and IMF my ass......

Do u knw wat pple are goin thru in nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by OLADD: 11:26pm On Sep 27, 2014
pascyj: I agree they finally did Benin-Ofosu road. Took 15years. At that rate, they'll get the road to Lagos by 2100.That's all.Keep clapping. Focus on the lies.Jonathan/Pdp has increased poverty and destroyed the politicosocioeconomic life of Nigerians.The truth,that's it.The corruption in government determine the corruption in other spheres. It's simple sociology. If your father is thief,you'll most likely be a thief because you take after him,because he cannot morally or legally caution you. And the corruption in gej's time is oozing even from his mien.
[color=#006600][/color]

That's not true. Corruption in the private sector is not an offshoot of what entails in the government circle. Rather, it's the opposite. Do you know that many of our politicians had been in private practice in one way or the other before delving into politics. The Tinubus, Fasholas, Akpabios were all seasoned entrepreneurs before taking politics as bigger business. Do you remember the Sarakis and the Societe Generale Bank episode? That is what many of the politicians imported from their respective business worlds. GEJ can only try his best. Whoever tries to bend the iron of corruption in Nigeria might end up breaking his own spine and still end up not bending the iron! It's very very complicated.
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 11:28pm On Sep 27, 2014
pascyj: Ok,you were there.The journalists weren't.I understand,I was just telling you whatever the man said,however he said it, it's still a lie. I'm hoping you understand this now.

Watch the next AIT or Channels news cast. The man's words will hit your ear. Like I said you're free to make whatever judgement you want. That's your own problem.

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by CharliParker: 11:29pm On Sep 27, 2014
Make I hear, that's story for the Gods,he mean his fellow PDP his co looters
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:30pm On Sep 27, 2014
Looooool. tell me something really ridiculous that i haven't heard before..mchteeew.
Did anyone watch any of those TAN adverts. In one of them,a guy said if we don't support GEJ, bad luck will follow us...How professional.

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by BlackTechnology: 11:33pm On Sep 27, 2014
OLADD:

The president's rating might not be far from the reality. Whether 50% or less, the most important thing is the fact that Nigeria has moved forward from its poverty level some years back. One mistake almost everybody on this thread seems to be making is thinking that the govt is responsible for bringing food to the table of all citizens. No govt, I repeat, no govt can single handedly eradicate poverty from the land! If this is not so, why do they have homeless people in the US? Why do they have street beggars whistling for arms on the street of New York? The best any govt can do to minimise poverty is to create the enabling environment for the citizens to be self engaged and self sufficient and GEJ is truly working towards that. In Nigeria, with massive investment in Electricity sector, it's just a matter of time before artisans, manufacturers and other corporate bodies begin to operate at optimal levels. In the area of agriculture, this administration has indeed reduced poverty level through agric subsidies and loans to rural farmers. All these and many more may have informed the President's assertion. But most importantly, we must remove the toga of believing that governments all over the world have all it takes to eradicate poverty. It's impossible till the end of ages.

You are right

That is why he shouldn't have said 50%

He should have said poverty is reducing
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by JuanDeDios: 11:35pm On Sep 27, 2014
BlackTechnology: Jonathan I no support you for this one you talk oooooo

Poverty can only reduce when people create businesses that employs people.

Businesses that create jobs can only come into existence when people

1) See it as part of their civic responsibility

2) Are willingly to give out long term low interest rate loans to small medium and large scale businesses

3) Are willingly to go into business partnership directly or indirectly

In all these, the FG has failed to massively educate Nigerians to apply these 3 understanding and lots more

How many Nigerians earning at least 50 000 naira monthly are saving with the intention of going into part time business or lending long term low interest loans to businesses after 10yrs of savings.

In the thread " 7 things about Switzerland you don't know, the OP made us realise that some things were not automated in order to create jobs for book keepers because the swiss believe in low unemployment."

GEJ in this area I will score you 10%
Bolded is a particularly important point that is not often talked about. No society where two random individuals cannot come together and do business can progress. It takes two things to achieve such a society - societal values which breed trust, and the rule of law which produces a judiciary the citizens can rely on knowing that if anything goes wrong the courts can be trusted to settle the matter according to law.
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by arcis: 11:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
Which poverty has been reduced by 50%? It shows how clearly the one who was once shoeless has lost touch with reality. For most nigerians especially the urban slum dwellers and rural dwellers poverty rate is as high as 80% by conservative estimates. The middle class has all but been wiped out while there is a high percentage of skilled and educated poor, most of who have been forced to pretend to belong to PDP or die from starvation. Let the president cause to be published, the names and states of those who have been employed by his government since 2009. All in all let our votes count in 2015. He will then see the wrath of nigerians and he will rue the day he took poor nigerians for granted.

2 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by mruwaifo(m): 11:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
There was once a nation of deaf and dumb people led by the blind

3 Likes

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 11:42pm On Sep 27, 2014
Nigeria
Economic Report
No. 2
July, 2014

Nigeria Economic Report
Introductory Note
1. The Nigerian Economic Report (NER) is a
regular publication of the World Bank. Each
edition of the NER includes a macroeconomic
overview and gives special attention to an
additional topic of high policy relevance.

2. In addition to macroeconomic performance,
this edition of the NER focuses on recent
releases of new statistical information. First,
newly re-based Gross Domestic Product
figures indicate a larger, more diversified, and
complex economy in Nigeria than was hitherto
reported, with significant contributions to
growth coming from manufacturing and
some services not captured in previous data.
Second, Chapter 2 provides an analysis of
recent NBS GHS household survey data,
which supports the hypothesis that the larger
NBS HNLSS survey of 2009/2010 may have
underestimated consumption.

3. NBS GHS surveys from 2010/2011 and
2012/2013 would suggest that the national
poverty rate could be significantly lower than
indicated by the earlier HNLSS, and that the
dynamic of poverty reduction in Nigeria may
also be stronger than previously thought.
Both the new GDP numbers and GHS-based
poverty numbers also support the notion that
growth and poverty reduction are primarily
an urban phenomenon in Nigeria. It would
appear that, in rural areas, growth is slower,
poverty is higher, and poverty reduction is
slower. The new living standards estimates
contained within also imply an even stronger
divide between the North and South in
Nigeria than do previous figures, with the
North experiencing significantly higher
poverty and, with the exception of North
Central, a lack of recent progress in poverty
reduction. In addition, a large number of
Nigerians are clustered around the poverty
line, implying a high degree of vulnerability
for a large part of the population.

4. Together, these new sources of information
give a clearer and more consistent story of
growth and poverty reduction in Nigeria
relative to previous data. It should be
noted, however, that this analysis should
be considered only partial and preliminary.
The conclusions in this Report concerning
poverty and living standards will need
to be confirmed or refuted by the next
comprehensive household budget survey
(HNLSS) of 2014-2015 to be conducted
by the NBS with assistance from the World
Bank and other development partners. The
new re-based GDP figures may also undergo
further refinement in the near future.

5. This report was prepared by a World
Bank team led by John Litwack (Lead
Economist). Vasco Molini (Economist)
provided the primary analysis for Chapter
2. Contributions were also made by Gloria
Joseph-Raji (Economist), and Olayinka
Babalola (Economist-Consultant)

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2014/07/23/000470435_20140723133415/Rendered/PDF/896300WP0Niger0Box0385289B00PUBLIC0.pdf
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
Ilekere: The intention of putting threads, such as this, on frontpage is comedy. Nothing else.
Diaris Godu oh
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by IbokUtoroh(m): 11:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
make i go sleep o before a FALL ASLEEP.
HEy bikeman come and take me to bed, how much?
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by alex2242(m): 11:44pm On Sep 27, 2014
garrimallam: " Ur president a fool" sorry for d breast u sucked plus d manhood that belettered u.

wentin dis pig cum dey talk undecided
garrimallam: " Ur president a fool" sorry for d breast u sucked plus d manhood that belettered u.

wentin dis pig cum dey talk

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by IbokUtoroh(m): 11:45pm On Sep 27, 2014
make i go sleep o before i FALL ASLEEP.
HEy bikeman come and take me to bed, how much?

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
OLADD: [color=#006600][/color]

That's not true. Corruption in the private sector is not an offshoot of what entails in the government circle. Rather, it's the opposite. Do you know that many of our politicians had been in private practice in one way or the other before delving into politics. The Tinubus, Fasholas, Akpabios were all seasoned entrepreneurs before taking politics as bigger business. Do you remember the Sarakis and the Societe Generale Bank episode? That is what many of the politicians imported from their respective business worlds. GEJ can only try his best. Whoever tries to bend the iron of corruption in Nigeria might end up breaking his own spine and still end up not bending the iron! It's very very complicated.
I'll rather focus on the meat of this gej statement. It streaks corruption. Lying is corruption.And that's the bible speaking.

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
gratieao: It’s now official, this otueke man is a comedian!
I wonder where he got his statistics from.
shocked shocked shocked
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by BlackTechnology: 11:48pm On Sep 27, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Bolded is a particularly important point that is not often talked about. No society where two random individuals cannot come together and do business can progress. It takes two things to achieve such a society - societal values which breed trust, and the rule of law which produces a judiciary the citizens can rely on knowing that if anything goes wrong the courts can be trusted to settle the matter according to law.

That's the fact and the more reason Jona must educate Nigerians through the mass media to take the 3 steps I stated
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 11:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
Chapter 2:
Poverty In Nigeria: A Partial
Reassessment

4. Recently announced re-based GDP
figures that increase the estimated size of
the Nigerian economy have again drawn
attention to official poverty statistics.
Data from the last comprehensive household
survey (NHLSS) in 2009/2010 indicated that
the official poverty rate3
remained stubbornly
high at 46% of the population (adult
equivalent approach)4
, or 62% in strictly
per capita terms. This indicates only a slight
decline from 48% and 64%, respectively,
that were recorded from the NHLSS in
2003/2004. These poverty numbers raise two
major economic questions. Firstly, why has
the rapid economic growth in Nigeria not
generated greater poverty reduction? Second,
how could an economy of the size and wealth
of Nigeria have such high poverty rates?
The country’s performance is at odds with
the general international trend of poverty
reduction, in particular in other countries
experiencing rapid economic growth like
Nigeria

It appears increasingly likely that
consumption of Nigerians was
underestimated in the 2009/2010 NHLSS.
A World Bank report of 20135
raised the
hypothesis that consumption may have been
significantly underestimated in the 2009/2010
NHLSS. This report noted an unusual sharp
decline in monthly consumption in this
survey in early 2010 relative to the second
half of 2009 that would seem to have little
economic rationale. The newly re-based
GDP numbers increase suspicions in this
regard, as the average level of consumption
reported in this survey would appear to be
inconsistent with the newly estimated size of
the Nigerian economy.

This Chapter provides a partial
reassessment of poverty in Nigeria based
on recent information. This note makes
use of new National Bureau of Statistics
(NBS) data has become available on the
web from two smaller General Household
Surveys (GHS) in panel format6
conducted
in 2010/2011 and 2012/2013. It should be
emphasized that this reassessment is only a
very partial analysis, and its confirmation or
refutation will need to come from the next
comprehensive HNLSS in 2014/2015 by
NBS.

Please download the document and read
http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/default/WDSContentServer/WDSP/IB/2014/07/23/000470435_20140723133415/Rendered/PDF/896300WP0Niger0Box0385289B00PUBLIC0.pdf
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by myhero4eva: 11:49pm On Sep 27, 2014
In as much as i agree with u mr president that u v performd creditably in some areas of developmnt such as rd construction, i can not but resent and refute ur poverty reductn projectn. This is rediculous of a governmnt that claims to transform her nation but is battering it with such high insensitivity to her peoples wretched and very poor conditn of living. Go across d streets, poverty is necked roaming, skilld n unskilld youths drowning in unemployment. Ur cabinet members ar busy looting public fund and geting more appointments wit more titles, working freely wit no trial by ur governmnt who claims to fight corruptn. Educatn sector is dead and u r claiming dat Nig has a future? God is watching us mr presidnt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by BlackTechnology: 11:54pm On Sep 27, 2014
Atlwireles and oladd

We love Jona but this comment must be rejected for posterity sake

1 Like

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 27, 2014
atlwireles: Nigeria
Economic Report
No. 2
July, 2014

Nigeria Economic Report
Introductory Note
1. The Nigerian Economic Report (NER) is a
regular publication of the World Bank. Each
edition of the NER includes a macroeconomic
overview and gives special attention to an
additional topic of high policy relevance.

2. In addition to macroeconomic performance,
this edition of the NER focuses on recent
releases of new statistical information. First,
newly re-based Gross Domestic Product
figures indicate a larger, more diversified, and
complex economy in Nigeria than was hitherto
reported, with significant contributions to
growth coming from manufacturing and
some services not captured in previous data.
Second, Chapter 2 provides an analysis of
recent NBS GHS household survey data,
which supports the hypothesis that the larger
NBS HNLSS survey of 2009/2010 may have
underestimated consumption.

3. NBS GHS surveys from 2010/2011 and
2012/2013 would suggest that the national
poverty rate could be significantly lower than
indicated by the earlier HNLSS, and that the
dynamic of poverty reduction in Nigeria may
also be stronger than previously thought.
Both the new GDP numbers and GHS-based
poverty numbers also support the notion that
growth and poverty reduction are primarily
an urban phenomenon in Nigeria. It would
appear that, in rural areas, growth is slower,
poverty is higher, and poverty reduction is
slower. The new living standards estimates
contained within also imply an even stronger
divide between the North and South in
Nigeria than do previous figures, with the
North experiencing significantly higher
poverty and, with the exception of North
Central, a lack of recent progress in poverty
reduction. In addition, a large number of
Nigerians are clustered around the poverty
line, implying a high degree of vulnerability
for a large part of the population.

4. Together, these new sources of information
give a clearer and more consistent story of
growth and poverty reduction in Nigeria
relative to previous data. It should be
noted, however, that this analysis should
be considered only partial and preliminary.
The conclusions in this Report concerning
poverty and living standards will need
to be confirmed or refuted by the next
comprehensive household budget survey
(HNLSS) of 2014-2015 to be conducted
by the NBS with assistance from the World
Bank and other development partners. The
new re-based GDP figures may also undergo
further refinement in the near future.

5. This report was prepared by a World
Bank team led by John Litwack (Lead
Economist). Vasco Molini (Economist)
provided the primary analysis for Chapter
2. Contributions were also made by Gloria
Joseph-Raji (Economist), and Olayinka
Babalola (Economist-Consultant)

Clap for yourself. Digging a bigger hole.70% of Nigerians are in rural areas. Elementary economics. Read the NBS(Nigerian Bureau of Statistics) compiled report for the World Bank again. Btw, were you trying to support your president? This report helps.
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 11:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
Poverty figures computed from the GHS
panel (Table cool support the hypothesis
that poverty rates in Nigeria are
significantly lower than estimates based
on the 2009/2010 HNLSS. At the national
level, the GHS-computed per capita poverty
rate registers at 35.2 and 33.1 percent of the
population in 2009/2010 and 2012/2013,
respectively. This can be compared with the
2009/2010 per capita estimate of 62% based
on the HNLSS. Reflecting significantly
higher GDP per capita in Nigeria, these
new poverty rates, in contrast to previous
estimates, are lower than those in neighboring
countries such as Benin and Niger.9

Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 28, 2014
I
atlwireles:

Watch the next AIT or Channels news cast. The man's words will hit your ear. Like I said you're free to make whatever judgement you want. That's your own problem.
However he said it,fact is:guy lies a lot.Now you're the one making judgments, are you part of those whose poverty has been reduced?
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by olmde(m): 12:00am On Sep 28, 2014
gratieao: It’s now official, this otueke man is a comedian!
I wonder where he got his statistics from.

lool
Re: We’ve Reduced Poverty By 50% – Jonathan by atlwireles: 12:00am On Sep 28, 2014
pascyj: Clap for yourself. Digging a bigger hole.70% of Nigerians are in rural areas. Elementary economics. Read the NBS(Nigerian Bureau of Statistics) compiled report for the World Bank again. Btw, were you trying to support your president? This report helps.

I live in a rural area, what's your problem with that?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kawu Baraje Returns To PDP With nPDP (Video) / Tinubu: We Have No Differences To Sort Out In APC / APC Governors: No To Zoning, Presidential Ticket Open To All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.