Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

Any Christian To Help Explain This? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Any Christian To Help Explain This? (4822 Views)

'any Christian Indulging In These Listed Sins Is Already On His/her Way To Hell' / I will Pay any Christian N300, 000 if you can show me Where This Moutain Is? / Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Liveair: 12:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
OP, this question is simply an addition to Biblical Woes.
The authors of the bible stood Logic on its head by this strip of comedy.

This is a classical case of; FROM WHENCE DID EVIL COME?
If Adam and Eve didn't know good or evil, how could they have known that Disobedience was evil?

Now you know why some people don't take the bible seriously.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
op did you forget that there was an instruction ?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Analogies are not supposed to be a one on one fit. I am not comparing the Adam with modern man, I am comparing knowledge of the law. Adam was given a law which gave him knowledge of what is "morally good and evil" just as the traffic law gives you knowledge of what is "good and evil" about traffic lights.

I will keep pointing you to God's response to Adam saying "I am naked", God says "Who told you...".

And can you explain what 'Who told you...' is supposed to signify, sir?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 12:37pm On Sep 28, 2014
BodyKiss:

You gave the impression they were kids in grown-up body.

Almost but not quite. Almost in the sense that everything was new to him just like a villager newly come to a big city seeing things he has never experienced before, he is googly eyed like a kid even if he is as old Methuselah. Adam was not a kid because his intelligence and ability to reason was that of a full grown adult.

A villager attempts to cross a 4 four lane highway like he was crossing the bicycle lane back at home but gets a rude shock as massive cars and trucks come barreling past him horns blowing, he will loose the "innocence of the village life".
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 28, 2014
Elantracey: op did you forget that there was an instruction ?

An instruction to a man who has no knowledge of good and evil is like an instruction to a baby.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by macof(m): 12:40pm On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: marriages don't need celebrations to be valid, there re people who do marriages lowkey, so this is wrong, the Christians believe God makes weddings valid...in adam and eve's case you should be able to fill in the gap now
LordReed:

LoL! Wedding is not about "ceremony".

So in Christian society it's moral to have sex with a person you haven't made the necessary marriage rights with?
jst pick a girl and call her ur wife

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by BodyKiss(m): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Almost but not quite. Almost in the sense that everything was new to him just like a villager newly come to a big city seeing things he has never experienced before, he is googly eyed like a kid even if he is as old Methuselah. Adam was not a kid because his intelligence and ability to reason was that of a full grown adult.

A villager attempts to cross a 4 four lane highway like he was crossing the bicycle lane back at home but gets a rude shock as massive cars and trucks come barreling past him horns blowing, he will loose the "innocence of the village life".

You're not making sense. All you do is go round your own words. One cannot be intelligent without knowledge, which at the time, they didn't have.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by BodyKiss(m): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: the guy just contradicts himself

They guy is highly confused
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

And can you explain what 'Who told you...' is supposed to signify, sir?

Genesis 3
11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Read the follow up to who told you above. Have you eaten of the tree? That I COMMANDED you not to eat? That tells you several things:

1. He held Adam accountable for obeying or disobeying.
2. He knew that the kind of knowledge the tree would yield.
3. That kind of knowledge is not what God wanted them to have.

Adam and Eve "knew" they were naked right from day one but it was nothing to them but suddenly they have this knowledge that unclothedness is shameful which God did not teach them. This knowledge does not rely on God and it is faulty and leads to "evil" things like Cain killing his brother.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 12:51pm On Sep 28, 2014
BodyKiss:

You're not making sense. All you do is go round your own words. One cannot be intelligent without knowledge, which at the time, they didn't have.

That fault is yours. I said from the beginning they had knowledge, the knowledge of the command DO NOT EAT.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 12:57pm On Sep 28, 2014
macof:

So in Christian society it's moral to have sex with a person you haven't made the necessary marriage rights with?
jst pick a girl and call her ur wife

You are now mixing things up. I put ceremony in quotes because it is obvious you are refering to the big show of friends and family which is why you said they should have invited the animals but you over looked where Adam said

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

That is the statement of marriage and it was made before God which is what marriage is about, a public declaration that this is your wife. You cannot take a girl and declare her your wife in secret and think it valid.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

An instruction to a man who has no knowledge of good and evil is like an instruction to a baby.

They had ears to listen and a will .
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Genesis 3
11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Read the follow up to who told you above. Have you eaten of the tree? That I COMMANDED you not to eat? That tells you several things:

1. He held Adam accountable for obeying or disobeying.
2. He knew that the kind of knowledge the tree would yield.
3. That kind of knowledge is not what God wanted them to have.

Adam and Eve "knew" they were naked right from day one but it was nothing to them but suddenly they have this knowledge that unclothedness is shameful which God did not teach them. This knowledge does not rely on God and it is faulty and leads to "evil" things like Cain killing his brother.

So what was that tree doing there in the first place? Why was it even thought of in the first place if it was not originally meant for man.

And again, since man was not like God before he ate of that fruit, what was he like? You said he was 'innocent'. What is innocence?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:00pm On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: the guy just contradicts himself

Very rich coming from someone who doesn't believe yet is all so keen to interpret the passage.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 1:02pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

That fault is yours. I said from the beginning they had knowledge, the knowledge of the command DO NOT EAT.
eve hesitate to eat the fruit at first because she and adam had been threatened with death if they ate it, God commanded them not to eat the fruit then he threatened them with death
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by BodyKiss(m): 1:06pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

You're the one adding that. Adam and Eve had no knowledge of good and wrong prior to eating the fruit. The fruit was of knowledge of good and evil . How could they have known that eating it was bad/evil if they couldn't tell what's good and bad?

By the why, how can a God who knows what will be of person before he was created, not know Adam was gonna eat the fruit anyways?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2014
Elantracey:

They had ears to listen and a will .

But they had no knowledge of good and evil. And their tempter was even described as very subtle. Even if they had a will, they couldn't recognize it.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

So what was that tree doing there in the first place? Why was it even thought of in the first place if it was not originally meant for man.

And again, since man was not like God before he ate of that fruit, what was he like? You said he was 'innocent'. What is innocence?

The tree was to stand as a test of man's ability to choose. Given the disincentive of death God did not want or expect man to choose to eat but then if he was not given a choice then how he prove he has the ability at all?

I used many adjectives to describe man before the fall one was innocent, I also used without guile, pure and unspoilt. This adjective are meant to point to somethings about man's state of mind. He was totally dependent on God for the knowledge of good and evil which is why God gave him a commandment and by that commandment he knows that eating of the tree is evil and obeying God is good. In this state his mind is unspoilt of any doubt or thoughts or what have you that what God said is the truth and that God meant what he says. Corruptions starts with the deceiver coming up and telling Eve that God is lying about the effects the fruit of tree, he tells her you will not die. This is where the guileless part comes up. Adam and Eve have no experience with falsehood or with deception and it is one of the reasons their unclothedness does not bother them. Innocent comes because up until the opening of their eyes and the pronouncement of the death sentence they have done nothing to condemn them. They were naked but not ashamed which means they ran about, eat and slept with no notion that anything they were doing was wrong and indeed they were doing nothing wrong since they had not eaten of the fruit yet.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:20pm On Sep 28, 2014
BodyKiss:

You're the one adding that. Adam and Eve had no knowledge of good and wrong prior to eating the fruit. The fruit was of knowledge of good and evil . How could they have known that eating it was bad/evil if they couldn't tell what's good and bad?

By the why, how can a God who knows what will be of person before he was created, not know Adam was gonna eat the fruit anyways?

The question is did Adam know that eating the fruit was wrong?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by BodyKiss(m): 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Did he know what wrong was?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by plaetton: 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

The good and evil referenced there is not the same good and evil of morality. For instance one effect of eating the fruit was their sudden "awareness" of their unclothedness and even God asks them "who told you you are naked?". Their eyes are opened to things that should not have been problems to them, they lost the innocence of children and have to begin to discern everything for themselves and most times their discernment is wrong because they no longer have the benefit of the wisdom of God. The moral good and evil was already with them as they had a commandment not to eat the fruit. The tempter did not change their ability to obey, he just gave them a "reason" to disobey.
This is what I love about the bible: anyone is free to interpret to suit.
I guess what they fellow is asking is whether a parent should hold his child responsible , or hold a big grudge against your child for an act committed while he was a six-month old toddler, knowing fully well that toddlers tend to act out their curiosity by touching things and putting things in their mouth despite the repeated admonitions of parents.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2014
BodyKiss:

God knows all that you can do and all the possible outcomes of your choices but He leaves the actual choosing up to you.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Adam did not know it. He was simply told not to eat it which he disobeyed
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:26pm On Sep 28, 2014
BodyKiss:

Did he know what wrong was?

Yes he did because he understood the difference between obeying and disobeying.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by macof(m): 1:28pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

You are now mixing things up. I put ceremony in quotes because it is obvious you are refering to the big show of friends and family which is why you said they should have invited the animals but you over looked where Adam said

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

That is the statement of marriage and it was made before God which is what marriage is about, a public declaration that this is your wife. You cannot take a girl and declare her your wife in secret and think it valid.

Where did I mention ceremony? Stop contradicting urself
Adam and eve union isn't valid today
Adam practically pick her up and declared her his wife with no witness

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
careytommy:
Adam did not know it. He was simply told not to eat it which he disobeyed

That is a contradiction. He disobeyed which means he knew he ought to obey so you can't say he did not know it was wrong and still call it disobedience. Also God would not have condemned him if he had no knowledge.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

God knows all that you can do and all the possible outcomes of your choices but He leaves the actual choosing up to you.

Was it like this before the fruit was eaten?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:31pm On Sep 28, 2014
macof:

Was there anybody to witness it aside from God? And if God sanctioned it what are you on about then?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 28, 2014
Hum! another one today,,,,,,, well is good to know.... the ways of God cannot be understand literally and one can neither say God is evil. God created man, Adam and Eve and commanded them to replenish the earth(symbolic of marriage) and Adam and Eve knew nothing and they were left without a knowledge to reason about anything and the uses of things,likewise we can compare them as sucklings but sucklings are better of than they are. I must say that the fall of Adam and Evil confer satisfaction to God's creation in that God love man to replenish the earth but however man was lame and there is no means one can say that that will would be accomplished. wisdom was created by God and in it lie the sense of judgement,reasoning, etc which comes by the knowledge of good and evil, and God was with wisdom when He was creating the world. and to his creations above he gave wisdom, so therefore the feared conceived righteousness and the impudent evil, and to man beneath he has set a way by which he as well could obtain wisdom. all things after the creation would have remained as they are if Adam fell not but the will of God may not be done as it is his will that man procreate to replenish the whole earth. but one will ask if God cannot instead create more man to fill the earth than ascribing it to man's procreation,but however it is to God own wisdom why he left man to fall, and to them that obtain understanding in the Lord,God reveal such to. so then God kept in Eden a tree which fruit is wisdom and the other live and said man eat not of this tree if ye do ye die, I believe that was an option to keep God just from man's regret of having wisdom and man being pained to death....man yield and fell into temptation because he knew nothing other than that which was said to him, and him seeing the pertinent behind eating it forgot that God said death and the end was the result. so man was counted with the sin of disobedience which purge his body to death, for indeed he has not eaten unto his soul but unto his body.the world sank into the cup of him that have dominion over it and all drank of same cup that death in the flesh may continue with procreation...... sin in the world was begotten by disobedience, and continued by the pain of the flesh which is envisaged by wisdom... lol,,,,and man knew how to take care of his kind and he became an indomitable player. really Adam and Eve have as many as unknown numbers of children from whom they are married again by the children to bring back the unit of procreation and live continues...
https://www.nairaland.com/1918328/why-people-say-jesus-died/2#26649405
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 1:33pm On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

Was it like this before the fruit was eaten?

Yes it was.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 1:34pm On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

That is a contradiction. He disobeyed which means he knew he ought to obey so you can't say he did not know it was wrong and still call it disobedience. Also God would not have condemned him if he had no knowledge.
you are trying ti justify God, your storybook is just f*cked up

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 28, 2014
macof:

u would have be the witness as u forgot that God already built there union after creating them. did u think dat left there mind, why didn't Adam question God for driving them from the garden of Eden?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Religious Crisis In Nigeria. / True PROOF Of God's Existence For The DOUBTING Atheist. / Hindu Talisman Spiritual Powers And Protections For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.