Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,590 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... (960 Views)

Deji Adeyanju: Buhari Is An Animal, I'm Not Afraid Of Him / British House Of Common Moved Motion 808 For Biafra Referendum / Conduct A Referendum Now!!! British Mps Moved Motion For Biafra Independence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by Sirniyeh(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2014
The Former Information Minister, Hon Femi Fani-Kayode responded to some independence questions asked by his fans on social media.

"I'm an original Nigerian and never a bastard. For those who don't know, my father moved the motion of independence for Nigeria and it's unfortunate that some class of people with born to rule mentality forfeited my father's vision for great nation..." FFK

Here is the Biography of his father:

Remi Fani-Kayode the father of FFK

Babaremilekun Adetokunboh Fani-Kayode, was born on December 22, 1921. He attended King’s College, Lagos after which he went to Cambridge University (Downing College) in 1941. At the British Bar examinations, he came top in his year for the whole of the British Commonwealth and he was called to The British Bar at Middle Temple in 1945. He was later appointed Queens Counsel in 1960 (he was the third and youngest Nigerian ever to be made Q.C). He also held the position of Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 1977 (he was the third Nigerian to be made a SAN).

He was a leading Nigerian politician, aristocrat, nationalist, statesman and lawyer. He was elected Deputy Premier of the Western Region of Nigeria in 1963 and he played a major role in Nigeria’s legal history and politics from the late 1940s until 1995.

Fani-Kayode played a major role in the struggle for Nigeria’s Independence. In 1952 he, together with Rotimi Williams, Bode Thomas and a number of others, were all detained by the British colonial authorities for the very active and passionate role that they played in the struggle against the British. He died in 1995.

In July 1958 he successfully moved the motion for Nigeria's independence in the Federal House of Assembly. He argued that independence should take place on 2 April 1960.

In 1959 there was a further motion that was moved in the Nigerian Parliament asking for a slight amendment to the Fani-Kayode motion of July 1958. This new motion, which was moved by Sir Tafawa Balewa, asked that the 2 April 1960 date for independence which had already been accepted and approved by Parliament and which had been acquiesced to by the British colonial authorities, should be shifted from 2 April of the same year to 1 October instead.

This motion of amendment was passed and approved by Parliament and it was acquiesced to by the British and that is how the date for Nigeria's independence, 1 October 1960, was finally arrived at.

FFK. Femi Fani-Kayode

Re: FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by 99100(m): 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
You are indeed not a bastard but a talkative.

1 Like

Re: FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by eldega: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2014
No big deal now cos someone was the first to raise the motion in 1953...........

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Enahoro
Re: FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by Sirniyeh(m): 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2014
99100: You are indeed not a bastard but a talkative.

Kindly respect gray hair
Re: FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 28, 2014
Anthony Enahoro FIRST moved the motion. So no biggie there.
BTW, you and your father are two different entities.
Re: FFK: My Father Moved Motion For INDEPENDENCE, I'm Not Bastard... by Sirniyeh(m): 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2014
Betapapa: Anthony Enahoro FIRST moved the motion. So no biggie there.
BTW, you and your father are two different entities.

Were you there? Lolz

(1) (Reply)

Facts About Botched South African Arms Deal / E-poll Gudluck Ebele Jonathan Vs General Buhari / Nothing To Fear - Read What Buhari Said On Sharia In The Year 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.