Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,808 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 PM

The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? (22422 Views)

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. / The Pitiable State Of The Nigerian Universities / The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by onihaxy: 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2014
Thanks so much guys for believing in this post. Who knows, maybe the mods aren't interested in it. Maybe we should be using the share button to share it with our followers.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by kristen12(f): 10:46am On Nov 21, 2014
This topic deserves front page
Cc: seun
Ishilove
Fynestboi
Richiez,
olawalebabs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Verovera(f): 12:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
Now its so obvious. I guess the gods of nairaland Mods are having personal issues with onihaxy. Here is a nice and beautiful article that is affecting the past teachers, present teachers and even the ones to come. My mummy has been teaching for the past 5 years, and yet, her 5years salary isn't up to my total salary in a year.
Atleast, if this topic can make frontpage, who knows, the "ogas" at the top of education ministries could read it and make amendments as we all know how the standard of education is falling daily.
Good, motivated and dedicated teachers will definitely amount to improved standard of education.
I think this thread / article is far better than the topics I'm seeing on FP recently like "pictures of wizkid in danfo", "tonto dikeh in the toilet", etc.
From my opinion, this site is gradually turning from forum to a "blog" as opinion and educative articles like this aren't finding there ways to frontpage. I guess nairaland is now more politically and "celebritically" dominated.
Cc,
Seun
Ishilove
Therealmrstan
Obinoscopy
Olawalebabs.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by dejt4u(m): 12:09pm On Dec 22, 2014
Verovera:
Now its so obvious. I guess the gods of nairaland Mods are having personal issues with onihaxy. Here is a nice and beautiful article that is affecting the past teachers, present teachers and even the ones to come. My mummy has been teaching for the past 5 years, and yet, her 5years salary isn't up to my total salary in a year.
Atleast, if this topic can make frontpage, who knows, the "ogas" at the top of education ministries could read it and make amendments as we all know how the standard of education is falling daily.
Good, motivated and dedicated teachers will definitely amount to improved standard of education.
I think this thread / article is far better than the topics I'm seeing on FP recently like "pictures of wizkid in danfo", "tonto dikeh in the toilet", etc.
From my opinion, this site is gradually turning from forum to a "blog" as opinion and educative articles like this aren't finding there ways to frontpage. I guess nairaland is now more politically and "celebritically" dominated.
Cc,
Seun
Ishilove
Therealmrstan
Obinoscopy
Olawalebabs.
Lalasticlala
TheRealMrStan

come and move this to the front page oo
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by YoungIncredible: 12:33pm On Dec 22, 2014
Haba!!, so this beautiful article is still dieing at BACKPAGE all this while?, and topics about wizkid, tonto dikeh, bankyW and politics are making there way to front page?.
SMH for nairaland gods mods. Nairaland is gradually losing its quality and virtue. No wonder we now have space-booker and france students when the topics making frontpage aren't worthing a reasonable comment. And at the end, the topics doesn't go beyond 2 or 3 pages. Its well,
I give up on NL

3 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by bangingblog: 2:16pm On Dec 22, 2014
Naija go better
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by onadana: 2:27pm On Dec 22, 2014
I don't know which clime you are writting this from.The teachers i know in Naija have become more innovative and business minded.This days see them riding cars in my days their reward was in heaven.They charge lesson fees like N50,000 a month and go for like three lessons a day.I know a teacher that is paid N150,000 just for lesson and this days most schools want to keep their teachers so they give them all sort of insentives.Who said teachers are poor..some are just plain lazy to develop themselves.

My little sister rejected a bank job simply because she would not have time to go to church and she picked up a teaching job for N17,000...this girl started her part-time masters as am talking to you now she has her masters.You see na yeye dey worry the lazy teachers.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by ogawisdom(m): 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2014
D teachers reward is in heaven wink

Apart frm private schools teachers in govt sch receive competitive salary esp those in unity sch (70k n above) unlike before dt they use ruler to measure yam.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by gbodimowo(m): 2:32pm On Dec 22, 2014
Ok
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 22, 2014
onihaxy:
Abike had three potential boyfriends/ suitors well known by her mother, the first is a medical student in final year, the second guy is a student engineer while the third is a school teacher with 5years experience. Along the line, Abike got pregnant and the mother got to know about it. She was compelled to tell who owns the pregnancy. The mother was shocked to death when abike told her that the pregnancy belongs to the school teacher.
"School what!!!!!!!"
"With 13,000 monthly salary!!!!"
"That wretched boy!!!!!"
"You must be stupid!!!"
"Chaiii, this teacher had charmed my daughter ooooooooo, !!!".
Mama abike yelled at abike. Abike replied "mama, why now?, I was expecting you to be happy that he is a working class compared with the rest".
"You dey craze??"
"What does a teacher have to offer?"
" I still prefer the student doctor or engineer"
"Don't you know how much they will earn when they graduate?"
"Their 6 months salary will be more than the entire 5years salary of that miserable teacher".
"We must abort this pregnancy".
point one, potential mother inlaws and the society at large looked down on teachers .

Back in university days, I actually wanted to study chemistry. But because I didn't know any oga at the top, neither do I have anybody to help me with my admission, I was given chemistry education instead of chemistry major. I was happy that at least, I was an undergraduate. But along the line, I found out that 95% of the entire student of faculty of education didn't fill education as their favourite course except for few who came in through direct entry from colleges of educations. Everyone was there by one accident or the other. Mostly because they couldn't meet up with cut-off marks of their desired courses. And offcourse, faculty of education has the lowest cutoff mark in my school.
point two, the school authority decided to ridiculed teaching courses by pushing people with low intellect into it and making its cut-off mark so ridiculous

In my 100level and 200level days, I discovered that most students are ashamed to tell people outside that they were studying education at the university. Infact, most parents didn't know that their wards are into education courses. People who studied chemistry edu would claim to study pure chemistry, people who studied accounting edu would claimed that they were accountants instead of EDUCATORS. Even during teaching practise, students will always lie that they are doing Industrial training.
point three, the education students themselves are feeling inferior while in school

After my university days before I went for NYSC, I decided to apply for a teaching job in order to occupy myself. I was shocked when private schools owners were saying they would pay me 10,000naira. I was annoyed and angry with myself. I was like "will banks, engineering company, even common pure water company pay 10,000 to degree holders?" And in this same school, each students pays 30,000naira as school fees ooooo. How do I plan a life, get married and raise children with 10,000monthly salary even if I decided to see it as a career?
point four, private schools owners are stingy and not ready to pay good salary

Ok, I cajoled the school owner and decided to negotiate better with him. I begged him to increase the pay to 20,000naira. He yelled at me "what, 20k?, I will share that amount among 5 corpers monthly and they would be willing to work hard. So why should I pay you 20k when I would share the same amount among 5 people?, see ogbeni, every 3 months, governments sends many corpers here, check the staff room, you would see like 6 corpers sitting there. So if you can't take the 10,000 monthly, you can go away. I left the school with bitterness.
point five, federal government has ridiculed teaching profession by throwing 99% of mobilised corpers to schools, even those that didn't study education as a course and offcourse, graduate applicants are treated like a shit.
I was having a gist with a lawyer friend sometimes ago and the issue of teacher and other profession came up. He told me that "onihaxy, do you know why teaching profession will forever remain in low recognition and low societal respect?, no matter how good you are as an activist, no matter how outspoken you are, you can never stand in a law court as a lawyer if you don't study law and pass out from law school. Same thing with doctors, if you don't go through medical school, you can never get the licence to practice as a doctor even if you learn the skills from the best hospital in the world. Same with engineering. Julius berger can never employ you to work for him as an engineer if you studied mass communication. But in teaching field, you would see people from various facet of life applying and getting employed as a teacher. So tell me, how do you expect such field to be seriously recognised and respected?. I was dumb-folded.
point six, teaching service is filled with people who mostly doesn't study education related courses.

I have a teacher friend who is always in the habit of grumbling always. He is getting a good pay of 30,000 from his school+various lessons job. But he would still grumbled of not satisfied. I told him point blank. "Ogbeni, why not quit this job if you know that you aren't satisfied with it". He replied " do you think I'm happy teaching?, I'm just using it to keep myself busy until I get my dream job".
point seven, teaching profession is filled with people who are frustrated because they had lost their hopes in getting their dreamed job and consoling themselves with the teaching job.
Another thing I noticed is the rate at which mushroom schools are spreading around in my area. I have seen a whole primary one to primary six using a 2 bedroom flat building, I have seen a whole jss1 to sss3 of a school using a 3bedroom flat building. Then no doubt, the teachers in such schools would remain poor till jesus come. What is wrong with the educational sector setting standards for school establishments?,
point eight, mushroom schools, another major problem of making teachers a poverty description entity.

Over to you nairalanders, what do you think is the best way to revitalise teaching profession and career to make it stand among its medical, engineering and banking sector?. Even common agricultural sector is now getting more respect than the teaching profession.

is hightime Nigeria starts using a salary scheme for both public and private sector

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by anonimi: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2014
Thanks OP for a beautiful written post.
However we should NOT pity the teachers only!
We should rather pity ourselves, individually & as a society!!!

Those DEMOTIVATED teachers provide formal education to us and our kids thus [badly] preparing us for modern life and global competition. What was the failure rate in GCE recently Why do we depend on our oyinbo fellow homo sapiens for EVERY modern necessity shocked
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Sike(m): 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2014
God help the teachers.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by judedwriter(m): 3:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
Lucrative or not; teaching is one of d most noble professions; there is absolutely nothing to b ashamed of imparting knowlegde to students..we just have round pegs in square holes in our schools because of d worsening unemployment in our nation. Anoda major problem is that nigeria is filled with get rich quick attitude. Every body now wants a good paying job, a range rover, etc. Without much input. Your input determines ur output. The easiest way to b rich in nigeria is solving people's problems. The more problems you solve, d financially ok u will b for it. If you are ashamed of being a teacher, then it means you have no business there; money answers all but can't give u total fulfilment.
Fulfilment comes when u r in the right place, at d right time using your talents. wink

2 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Orikinla(m): 3:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
[size=18pt]OP, your English it terrible.
Please, read your post again and make the necessary corrections.[/size]
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Fabianno92(m): 3:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
The guy is pretending, he really want to give out the cash to his girlfriend
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Amhappy(f): 3:10pm On Dec 22, 2014
Teaching is a noble profession. I dream of a day these noble men and women will be treated with the honour they deserve in Nigeria
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by TheRealCoolHunK: 3:12pm On Dec 22, 2014
Orikinla:
[size=18pt]OP, your English it terrible.
Please, read your post again and make the necessary corrections.[/size]
Yet, it it reatty tettible.
Good job, OP. Wonder why it took so long to hit FP, though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by kristen12(f): 3:14pm On Dec 22, 2014
Frontpage @last
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by otokx(m): 3:19pm On Dec 22, 2014
The Faculty of Education should offer only post graduate programmes, everybody read your pure chemistry, pure physics, mathematics, accounting, botany, zoology etc then if you want to teach do a pgde in Education and go teach.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by MoyoGENERAL: 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2014
Na wa for these MOD's here oooo!!!!
why did you removed my POST

cc:I repeat!!!!
It is PITIABLE that a SENSIBLE THREAD like this Could stay PuT for up to THREE MONTHS without making FP yet MEAN THREAD's make Front Page thesame day they are posted!!!

Mr Seun, The job dey your hand oooooo!!!!

#Teamlet'smaintainthestandard#
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Dahjhi: 3:42pm On Dec 22, 2014
Davep Una don comment here? Chaii no time to read comment ... My PARENT were retrenched untimely @GL12 and 13.. When moms salary was 22k den.. grin grin .. I don't have to know about economics and management before I knew what resources management is grin grin

#TeamTeachersPikin grin grin
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Dahjhi: 3:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
MoyoGENERAL:

It is PITIABLE that a SENSIBLE THREAD like this Could stay PuT for up to THREE MONTHS without making FP yet MEAN THREAD's make Front Page thesame day they are posted!!!

Soo on point... Infact 150 baginatu for Una.. cheesy
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Flyingngel(m): 3:47pm On Dec 22, 2014
Teaching is a serious business. But government seems to turn blind eye on that sector. Teachers need to put pressure on government to uplift their status.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by donem: 3:50pm On Dec 22, 2014
Their reward is in heaven.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Ukeachu1(m): 3:55pm On Dec 22, 2014
otokx:
The Faculty of Education should offer only post graduate programmes, everybody read your pure chemistry, pure physics, mathematics, accounting, botany, zoology etc then if you want to teach do a pgde in Education and go teach.
ur head day therr. thats d only solution. a pgde thats relatively cheaper than others to prove d mettle of intending teachers. u get head sir.

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Tolinti(m): 3:57pm On Dec 22, 2014
The government is only concerned with professions or what i can say brings more source of revenue 2 d country.Education myt be very important bt Dos not have greater importance 2 d govt. Take a look @ d way money is being pumped in2 security, medicine and d rest....They seems 2 av greatr importance n serves as a good source of revenue 2 d country.....Hopfuli, d govt can stop being myopic twrds Education.

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
A sensible thread on front page since september.

Nairaland which way!

2 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by AjanleKoko: 4:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
Well . . . when they increase school fees we all complain. Abi?
We can't offer free education and expect that teachers should get paid good money. Teachers should be paid close to what doctors are paid (basic excluding service allowances), as they are offering essential services.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 22, 2014
onihaxy:

Back in university days, I actually wanted to study chemistry. But because I didn't know any oga at the top, neither do I have anybody to help me with my admission, I was given chemistry education instead of chemistry major. I was happy that at least, I was an undergraduate. But along the line, I found out that 95% of the entire student of faculty of education didn't fill education as their favourite course except for few who came in through direct entry from colleges of educations. Everyone was there by one accident or the other. Mostly because they couldn't meet up with cut-off marks of their desired courses. And offcourse, faculty of education has the lowest cutoff mark in my school.
[b]point two, the school authority decided to ridiculed teaching courses by pushing people with low intellect into it and making its cut-off mark so ridiculous [/b].

Thats the same thought I had then we people who could not meet up with CGPA of 2.0 placed for Engineering Students in UNILORIN, would be gladly accepted in faculty of Education. #wondering: The same guys will be teachers some day!

Make the cut off mark so high, then we would have less teachers and they become "Hot Cake" when they are few.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by GSKing: 4:43pm On Dec 22, 2014
YoungIncredible:
Haba!!, so this beautiful article is still dieing at BACKPAGE all this while?, and topics about wizkid, tonto dikeh, bankyW and politics are making there way to front page?.
SMH for nairaland gods mods. Nairaland is gradually losing its quality and virtue. No wonder we now have space-booker and france students when the topics making frontpage aren't worthing a reasonable comment. And at the end, the topics doesn't go beyond 2 or 3 pages. Its well,
I give up on NL

MoyoGENERAL:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Full Further Maths Project 2 Textbook / 10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me / 10 Costly Mistakes University Students Make In Their First Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.