Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? (22447 Views)

Ban Of Naira Atm Usage Abroad – A Perfect Way Forward. / The Pitiable State Of The Nigerian Universities / The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by willibounce1(m): 4:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
Mayour11:

Bro, u made a point, but next time don't be specific, this is a social platform and anything you post here can be assessed anywhere in the world.

So you would prefer to cover it up rather than expose it? Some Nigerians deserve to flogged brutally. You want mediocrity to be encouraged because you don't want the world to laugh at you. Why don't u let them laugh at you now so that you can do things the right way.

2 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Okaka27(m): 5:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
Just patiently wait for GMB to take over

Corruption must go! angry
And change must comecome angry

#TeamGMB
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by BABAJIDEKAJ(m): 5:08pm On Dec 22, 2014
onihaxy:
Abike had three potential boyfriends/ suitors well known by her mother, the first is a medical student in final year, the second guy is a student engineer while the third is a school teacher with 5years experience. Along the line, Abike got pregnant and the mother got to know about it. She was compelled to tell who owns the pregnancy. The mother was shocked to death when abike told her that the pregnancy belongs to the school teacher.
"School what!!!!!!!"
"With 13,000 monthly salary!!!!"
"That wretched boy!!!!!"
"You must be stupid!!!"
"Chaiii, this teacher had charmed my daughter ooooooooo, !!!".
Mama abike yelled at abike. Abike replied "mama, why now?, I was expecting you to be happy that he is a working class compared with the rest".
"You dey craze??"
"What does a teacher have to offer?"
" I still prefer the student doctor or engineer"
"Don't you know how much they will earn when they graduate?"
"Their 6 months salary will be more than the entire 5years salary of that miserable teacher".
"We must abort this pregnancy".
point one, potential mother inlaws and the society at large looked down on teachers .

Back in university days, I actually wanted to study chemistry. But because I didn't know any oga at the top, neither do I have anybody to help me with my admission, I was given chemistry education instead of chemistry major. I was happy that at least, I was an undergraduate. But along the line, I found out that 95% of the entire student of faculty of education didn't fill education as their favourite course except for few who came in through direct entry from colleges of educations. Everyone was there by one accident or the other. Mostly because they couldn't meet up with cut-off marks of their desired courses. And offcourse, faculty of education has the lowest cutoff mark in my school.
point two, the school authority decided to ridiculed teaching courses by pushing people with low intellect into it and making its cut-off mark so ridiculous

In my 100level and 200level days, I discovered that most students are ashamed to tell people outside that they were studying education at the university. Infact, most parents didn't know that their wards are into education courses. People who studied chemistry edu would claim to study pure chemistry, people who studied accounting edu would claimed that they were accountants instead of EDUCATORS. Even during teaching practise, students will always lie that they are doing Industrial training.
point three, the education students themselves are feeling inferior while in school

After my university days before I went for NYSC, I decided to apply for a teaching job in order to occupy myself. I was shocked when private schools owners were saying they would pay me 10,000naira. I was annoyed and angry with myself. I was like "will banks, engineering company, even common pure water company pay 10,000 to degree holders?" And in this same school, each students pays 30,000naira as school fees ooooo. How do I plan a life, get married and raise children with 10,000monthly salary even if I decided to see it as a career?
point four, private schools owners are stingy and not ready to pay good salary

Ok, I cajoled the school owner and decided to negotiate better with him. I begged him to increase the pay to 20,000naira. He yelled at me "what, 20k?, I will share that amount among 5 corpers monthly and they would be willing to work hard. So why should I pay you 20k when I would share the same amount among 5 people?, see ogbeni, every 3 months, governments sends many corpers here, check the staff room, you would see like 6 corpers sitting there. So if you can't take the 10,000 monthly, you can go away. I left the school with bitterness.
point five, federal government has ridiculed teaching profession by throwing 99% of mobilised corpers to schools, even those that didn't study education as a course and offcourse, graduate applicants are treated like a shit.
I was having a gist with a lawyer friend sometimes ago and the issue of teacher and other profession came up. He told me that "onihaxy, do you know why teaching profession will forever remain in low recognition and low societal respect?, no matter how good you are as an activist, no matter how outspoken you are, you can never stand in a law court as a lawyer if you don't study law and pass out from law school. Same thing with doctors, if you don't go through medical school, you can never get the licence to practice as a doctor even if you learn the skills from the best hospital in the world. Same with engineering. Julius berger can never employ you to work for him as an engineer if you studied mass communication. But in teaching field, you would see people from various facet of life applying and getting employed as a teacher. So tell me, how do you expect such field to be seriously recognised and respected?. I was dumb-folded.
point six, teaching service is filled with people who mostly doesn't study education related courses.

I have a teacher friend who is always in the habit of grumbling always. He is getting a good pay of 30,000 from his school+various lessons job. But he would still grumbled of not satisfied. I told him point blank. "Ogbeni, why not quit this job if you know that you aren't satisfied with it". He replied " do you think I'm happy teaching?, I'm just using it to keep myself busy until I get my dream job".
point seven, teaching profession is filled with people who are frustrated because they had lost their hopes in getting their dreamed job and consoling themselves with the teaching job.
Another thing I noticed is the rate at which mushroom schools are spreading around in my area. I have seen a whole primary one to primary six using a 2 bedroom flat building, I have seen a whole jss1 to sss3 of a school using a 3bedroom flat building. Then no doubt, the teachers in such schools would remain poor till jesus come. What is wrong with the educational sector setting standards for school establishments?,
point eight, mushroom schools, another major problem of making teachers a poverty description entity.

Over to you nairalanders, what do you think is the best way to revitalise teaching profession and career to make it stand among its medical, engineering and banking sector?. Even common agricultural sector is now getting more respect than the teaching profession.

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by profmathsland(m): 5:14pm On Dec 22, 2014
This is just telling us that the system of education has been polluted.Teaching is the foundation and backbone of any profession in Nigeria but it has been taken to be the least important.

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by PehaKaso: 5:16pm On Dec 22, 2014
An uneducated mallam is aspiring 2 govern Nigeria & educated fools are excited. Now if such an illiterate succeeds, what will be his attitude towards the education sector, since he could get to the top without proper education? I need answers pls.
GEJ TILL BUHARI PASS WAEC!

2 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 22, 2014
[size=18pt]Nigeria can be rebuilt:

A servant leader is ready and waiting to rebuild Nigeria.[/size]

General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd)
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by NifemiOlu(m): 5:28pm On Dec 22, 2014
Good points raised.

I'm a fully qualified teacher but I've NEVER been inferior to anyone.
Secondly, all the 'problems' raised are not really the problems of education in Nigeria because they already have solutions. The main problem of education, as it may surprise you, is the society itself.
If you can make an association between wrong value system and falling standard of education, you'd know that the society itself is the problem of quality education.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by MsNas(f): 5:52pm On Dec 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

very fat lie...I taught in a govt school as a corp member. you say they have up to 10arms? That's if the subject is general, what of electives?
I thought acctng...we had 3 accounting arms for each level (ss1-3). My dear, I lost count of how many acct teachers, of which I didn't even know them till the day Ministry of Education came - I was surprised to see over 10teachers telling me and my fellow corp member that we suppose to be reporting to them. These are people we have never seen. They don't even set tough questions - I remember setting my exam questions and the principal asked me if I'm sure they can answer this one
-I can remember being told to approximate 35 to 40 so the student can @least get an E
-I can remember seeing so any exotic cars by 7:45 to sign attendance - by 9am...you can count the no of cars/teachers that would be remaining.

In govt schools the student don't even come to school, they don't even like to take their test...
So where would you even see the 700 scripts to mark?
Is it the script that you can mark in 30secs? Because they wouldn't write anything sensible

In a govt school, you may just have to teach twice in a week(a particular arm/class). The students don't even challenge you, so it's easy for you to enter the class and freestyle. You can't compare it to teaching private students - that keep asking you both the one that is their business and the one that isn't

By the way private school pass private sch...my secondary sch had 12arms of each class from Jss1 - Ss3 (it was a private sch). Not all private schools are densely populated

I'm not saying all govt. schools are bad - but majority of them are lazy! They don't do anything!
That's not also entirely true. I went to a government school, albeit missionary. So, it was still sane in there. My JS1 - SS 3 had at least 8 arms. My JS alone had, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H S, T, L, O. You were placed into those arms according to your performance in your common entrance and subsequent promotion exams. It promoted good and healthy study ethics amongst the students cos no one wanted to be in the S, T, L and O classes. It was reserved for dull students. Who said government schools can't be good?

Who said students in government schools can't challenge you? Huge lie. We gave our teachers work to do. And this was a female only high school. And I know of a lot of other govt schools like that. We had set periods for each class every day and week. Out class captain had to fill attendance sheet for each teacher every period. Miss your classes too much and the principal will be all up in your space.

Who told you teachers in government schools don't teach anything? Just because you went private schools or you taught at a substandard government secondary school doesn't mean all private schools are good and all secondary are bad. You can't base your conclusions on a a single story. I went to St. Louis, Ibadan and people that know it's pedigree despite being a government school can testify.

On the flip side, my younger sisters went to various private schools in Ibadan. And while they are not cheap (not one bit) , the teachers weren't paid in proportion to the fees that was being charged the pupils. They also didn't have much to do. At most, each level of class had three arms. So sample other scenarios and opinions next time.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
MsNas:

That's not also entirely true. I went to a government school, albeit missionary. So, it was still sane in there. My JS1 - SS 3 had at least 8 arms.

Who told you teachers in government schools don't teach anything? Just because you went private schools or you taught at a substandard government secondary school doesn't mean all private schools are good and all secondary are bad. You can't base your conclusions on a a single story. I went to St. Louis, Ibadan and people that know it's pedigree despite being a government school can testify.

On the flip side, my younger sisters went to various private schools in Ibadan. And while they are not cheap (not one bit) , the teachers weren't paid in proportion to the fees that was being charged the pupils. They also didn't have much to do. At most, each level of class had three arms. So sample other scenarios and opinions next time.

Read my concluding paragraph once again Ma'am. I never said ALL.

Thanks.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by MsNas(f): 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Read my concluding paragraph once again Ma'am. I never said ALL.

Thanks.
You never said all, but you said majority. Majority means a bulk of it. And I'm pretty sure you never taught in more than one of them. That was what I was addressing. Thanks
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by evea: 6:02pm On Dec 22, 2014
I am proud to be a teacher and always. yes everything you said is true if n only if we ve an educator as ministers in federal, state n local government we won't have any problems.

3 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by cecegorz(m): 6:05pm On Dec 22, 2014
I ran into my very good friend yesterday, and I nearly wept.
This is someone we served together close to ten years ago, came back to Lagos and started hustling for jobs together, he eventually ended up a teacher in a private school.
Believe me, he was looking lean and much older than our mates, narrated a bit of his struggles to me and I just wished I had a magic wand to do something instantly.
What beats me is how these private schools charge so much, and yet pay the teachers peanuts!
Today's teachers are so badly paid, may be that's why their students can't learn enough to pass common WAEC exams.

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2014
MsNas:

You never said all, but you said majority. Majority means a bulk of it. And I'm pretty sure you never taught in more than one of them. That was what I was addressing. Thanks

lolz
I am not in the mood to engage in "word play". Maybe you can point out where I succinctly spoke in an affirmative, then I might have a leverage on what you're addressing Ma'am.

All the same, I get you.
I don't have to teach in 'majority' of them to draw an inference. I can easily get the needed statistics from students/corp members.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by NifemiOlu(m): 6:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
cecegorz:
I ran into my very good friend yesterday, and I nearly wept.
This is someone we served together close to ten years ago, came back to Lagos and started hustling for jobs together, he eventually ended up a teacher in a private school.
Believe me, he was looking lean and much older than our mates, narrated a bit of his struggles to me and I just wished I had a magic wand to do something instantly.
What beats me is how these private schools charge so much, and yet pay the teachers peanuts!
Today's teachers are so badly paid, may be that's why their students can't learn enough to pass common WAEC exams.

Try conducting an action research. You'd find out that majority of private schools aren't owned by educational professionals but business men and women.

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by YACAA(f): 7:11pm On Dec 22, 2014
The only people who can truly change the image of teachers is the teachers themselves. Work on your self-esteem, respect yourself, hold yourself high up, be willing to improve and most importantly BE GENUINE. A teacher who really cares about his or her students will always aspire to do better and trust me with time people will have no cause but to respect and award him or her accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2014
I am a teacher, an academic head in a private school, and i'd say this in addition to your recommendations; The government should set up a salary structure for private schools at least a minimum wage that will par with public schools. Any instutition that cannot afford it should not be accredited.

6 Likes

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Wisegeek01(m): 7:34pm On Dec 22, 2014
If you ask me
"Teachers are supposed to be the highest payed"

If they decide not to teach*
I don't think we'd have Doctors, Lawyers or Engineers

lipsrsealed
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by ezelous: 7:47pm On Dec 22, 2014
The bitter and unknown truth is that most graduates of educational courses cannot impact like their non-educational counterparts. I am a living testimony. God will surely punish those who take up the job just to pass time.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Janyves(m): 8:47pm On Dec 22, 2014
If you're a TEACHER out there and you not happy about your profession, well, this is my 2 cents----
.Be relevant with latest educational trends
.Be versatile(teach both science and social science subjects)
.Be adventurous(dive into anything that can be passed on to get money)
.What's stopping you from bagging more degrees?
.Look unto God
.Be social
.Be positive
.If you're good in what you do and you got God on your side you'll be less concerned about the education sector. This is because you will be on top of your career......... CHEERS

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 22, 2014
I had always known I was going to be a teacher because thats basically what I am good at. so I got my jamb form in ss3, applied for edu chem in unilag nd got d admission straight up, merit list. I was never shy of my choice of course nd I deliberately put d edu in front of chem wheneva I was askd my course of study.
all thru my uni days I made gud research of d edu sector nd I put my findings into good use.
here was how it worked for me:
I started taking lots of teaching jobs, part time and freelance, did lots of studies on human psychology and learning strategies, during my tp I made sure I was constantly evaluated by my cooperative teacher, I accepted constructive criticism and during my service year, I practically begged to be posted to a school rather than a ministry or LG and during dat time, I started sending cv to schools, I took d igsce exam, registered with STAN and before the end of my service year, I've gotten close to 13 offers from top notch schools. I had to pick the one that best suits me.
6days after my p.o.p I resumed with the lagoon secondary school lekki and the pay is viola!!! not to mention other mouth watering packages they offer. I would not even trade it for any other white collar job (except an oil coy or pa to GEJ :d ) even the parents literally worship the ground we walk on
my point is for me, teaching as a career was very easy and everyone I know respect and envy me and most of my frnds wished they followed my cue

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by NifemiOlu(m): 9:18pm On Dec 22, 2014
ezelous:
The bitter and unknown truth is that most graduates of educational courses cannot impact like their non-educational counterparts. I am a living testimony. God will surely punish those who take up the job just to pass time.

Most or some? Those who can't teach effectively are those failures and dropouts of other faculties who have been dumped into education faculties in various universities.
Those who actually applied for education courses and got the right training, you can't stand them. Another problem is during admission, most schools move students to education faculty...that is why we have terrible teachers all over the place.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Smooyis(m): 9:23pm On Dec 22, 2014
Well written thread no doubt. I believe teachers are the enemies of themselves. As soon as they get to the position of authority they forget the pains they have gone through while teaching and what their colleagues are going through at present. They do nothing to alleviate their sufferings. So its been a circle of struggles. Its not like these among other professions. We all have a stake in the development of the educational sector, and we all need to raise our voice in support of reforms in the sector. This is because there is hardly any family in Nigeria that does not have a close relation or relative who is a teacher. It is a profession very close to than we ever imagine. An upliftment of the wages or living standard of a teacher has a way of connecting or impacting on the generality of the society positively.

This is why one of the greatest priority of a good government should be the educational sector. In Nigeria however, this has been the contrary. And the result are the various societal ills we are witnessing today.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Nten: 9:30pm On Dec 22, 2014
Teaching as a profession. Increase the salary scale structure even the private schools should pay a regulated commensurate minimum salary scale above what we have and see whether people wont fill Education as a course study or apply for teaching jobs.
Money is the motivation for jobs these days, forget this "turenchi" about job fulfillment

1 Like

Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Theultimate(m): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2014
Actually, all the points highlighted by the OP are basically true.

Most annoyed part of it is the way Proprietor(tress) treats their teachers. You rarely collect the school fees of two pupils in your class per term. For instance, when a pupil is paying 30-35k per term, while you as a teacher collects 10-12k per month...and there's only 3months in a term(@worst 4months).
Therefore, A teacher is collecting 30-36k(for the 3month)
40-48k(for 4months)
While two pupils pay 60-70k per term.

Btw: School Lesson's bonus of every month is included though.

Meanwhile, Private Home Lesson yields than anything(I must tell you). Only if you are good, bold and confident. Depends on the number of pupils.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by ezelous: 11:23pm On Dec 22, 2014
NifemiOlu:

Most or some? Those who can't teach effectively are those failures and dropouts of other faculties who have been dumped into education faculties in various universities.
Those who actually applied for education courses and got the right training, you can't stand them. Another problem is during admission, most schools move students to education faculty...that is why we have terrible teachers all over the place.
that i can't stand them is just an understatement
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by seunkeji5(f): 12:22am On Dec 23, 2014
wat course can one take at masters level to qualify as an educator as i did not study educatin. I study bus admin
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by NifemiOlu(m): 1:08am On Dec 23, 2014
seunkeji5:
wat course can one take at masters level to qualify as an educator as i did not study educatin. I study bus admin

Generally, most schools don't offer Masters admission to those without education background. What you can do is apply for PGDE(Post Graduate Diploma in Education) , it's a one year course. After that, you can apply for Masters in Education.
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by seunkeji5(f): 7:28am On Dec 23, 2014
[quote author=NifemiOlu post=291223

with pgd in education cant one be able to venture into teaching
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by seunkeji5(f): 7:31am On Dec 23, 2014
pls wat are the proffesional examinaton that can make one get employed in those international schools
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Slimmos(m): 7:34am On Dec 23, 2014
Orikinla:
[size=18pt]OP, your English it terrible.
Please, read your post again and make the necessary corrections.[/size]
ur own English is more terrible
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by Slimmos(m): 7:35am On Dec 23, 2014
Orikinla:
[size=18pt]OP, your English it terrible.
Please, read your post again and make the necessary corrections.[/size]
ur own English is more terrible. Read urs and make necessary correction..
Re: The Pitiable Life Of A Nigerian Teacher. The Way Forward?? by eyinjuege: 8:23am On Dec 23, 2014
Chuksemi:
The Only Solution To This Is If Parents Become More Concerned With Their Children's Education. International Schools Pay Very Well. I Know One In PortHarcourt That Pays Up To 120,000 As A Starting Salary. If Parents Take Education Seriously, Nobody Would Send Their Children To Petty Schools. They Don't Learn Very Well In Petty Schools And The Work Force Consists Of unqualified Persons. International Schools With Standard Facilities Employ Qualified People And Charge Higher, Yet They Pay Teachers Very Well And The Kids Learn Very Well In Such Schools. Petty Schools Should Be Eradicated. Only Then Would Teachers Get Good Take Home Pay.

Most Nigerians cannot afford to send their wards to such schools, thus "petty" schools it is for such especially when your average Nigerian lives on less than a dollar a day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Lessons Medical School Taught Me / ASUU Strike: No End In Sight / FG Budgets ₦230.9‬ Billion For 14 Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.