Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,160 members, 7,845,818 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct (5544 Views)

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? / My Names Are Or My Name Is;which Is Correct? / "My Names Are" Or "My Name Is"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by esoboy875(m): 10:15am On Sep 30, 2014
I tink d correct one is "my name is"
Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 30, 2014
tutaboi:

So how would you answer the question then when asked "what are your names" Sir

Can you read the last paragraph of what you quoted?
Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 30, 2014
ruffp: Very good question. I've always wondered y people use 'are'. The correct thing is 'is'. All the items as written (name,middle name,surname etc) together constitute ur name. That is what uniquely identifies you. What confuses people is the fact that we tend to have names to fulfil certain things e.g culture So most nigerians have an added name that reflect their ethnicity. The bottomline remains...whether u have 2,3 or 4 different entities,they all (put together) constitute ur name as such the use of 'are' is wrong as u cant have 2 different names. Afterall if u use a toyota camry ce and u were asked the name of ur car, u wouldnt say 'my cars' names are Toyota Camry CE. cuz its the totality that identifies the car u drive.....#MyTake

This is why I like Nairaland. ...so much to learn.
Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by Kunleskey(m): 11:41am On Sep 30, 2014
My name is the correct ans. Not my name are...come to think of the fruit of the spirit in the bible they use (is) for all the fruit of spirit..for the fruit of spirit is love,kindness,gentleness.....
Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by 2saints: 3:27pm On Sep 30, 2014
My name is Bond, James Bond
Re: My Name Is Or My Names Are" Which 1 Is Correct by tempem: 4:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
I wanted to correct you earlier, but am holding back. You must have realized your mistake by now.
rawpadgin: they are both correct.
if u re to include ur middle name, surname & last name u re to use 'are'
if its just one name u re to use 'is'

example- my name is okoronkwo
my names are okoronkwo m. Phillips

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Woman Sets Facebook On Fire With Strong Grammatical Blunders, Awful Misspellings / A Must Read For Unilag Prospective Law Candidates / 10questions Always Repeated In Jamb (exposed) - A Guide To Jamb 2015 Cbt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.