Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Why Do We Go To School? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Go To School? (15648 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by kibo: 2:49am On Sep 30, 2014
Simple, SCHOOL IS MEANT FOR ENLIGHTENMENT AND EXPOSURE !!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by j4sure(m): 2:50am On Sep 30, 2014
1. Exposure
2.Knowledge
3.hold am comimg pls
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Desdola(m): 2:54am On Sep 30, 2014
To make more money in life
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by GodMode: 3:03am On Sep 30, 2014
marieolae: Its a personal preference. Although in the society today, you don't have to be "educated" to make it. The world is looking at what you have to offer.

Education and school are two different things... There is no such thing as been "educated".

Education never ends.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 3:04am On Sep 30, 2014

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by GodMode: 3:05am On Sep 30, 2014
msmon: I will comment later!

Modified:

@OP, you asked 'why do I go to school'?. I will answer by telling you it's just to have education believing that it will be the benchmark for me to be successful in life. Like you rightly said, our parents has made us to believe that but we later find out it's not totally right.

We often confuse 'Education/Schooling' with 'Knowledge', but it's has been discover that some people may have education without been knowledgeable and it brings to mind the debate of 'Brilliance VS. Intelligence'.

In conclusion, I thank God I had education because I read my way through to discover some fault in some of the things our parents told us back then and I have come to realise that there are two things that shape our destiny and define our future, 1) the choice we make and 2) our commitment towards that choice.

I submit!

Education and schooling are not the same thing.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by amokeme(f): 3:07am On Sep 30, 2014
Everybody needs an education thats why they go to school...(education is getting knowledge) its either you go to school (formal or informal) to study a particular course or learn a trade, handy work or what ever. Its still called education because you are learning abt somthing you know nothing about. Am in school because, I know the importance.. but I think most people are in the "formal" setting because they were forced by thier parent or the mentality that our society has unconciously created in the minds of people, that if you dont go to sch (formal) you will be irrelevant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 3:10am On Sep 30, 2014
Google To shut down its social network (ORKUT)
https://www.nairaland.com/1926261/google-shut-down-orkut-social
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 3:14am On Sep 30, 2014
GodMode:

Education and schooling are not the same thing.

Yes but the point is going to school or having education doesn't define knowledge.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by GodMode: 3:18am On Sep 30, 2014
msmon:

Yes but the point is going to school or having education doesn't define knowledge.

Education defines knowledge but schooling doesn't. because schooling has an end while education is a never ending process.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by amokeme(f): 3:19am On Sep 30, 2014
msmon:

so what defines knowledge?
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 3:21am On Sep 30, 2014
See thread. angry

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by amokeme(f): 3:22am On Sep 30, 2014
GodMode:

Education defines knowledge but schooling doesn't. because schooling has an end while education is a never ending process.
exactly..
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 3:26am On Sep 30, 2014
amokeme: so what defines knowledge?

Education defines knowledge but
schooling doesn't. because schooling
has an end while education is a never
ending process. (GodMode)

I spoke in the Nigeria context because we often confuse education with schooling.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by amokeme(f): 3:32am On Sep 30, 2014
msmon:

I spoke in the Nigeria context because we often confuse education with schooling.
ok, I get you now smiley
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 3:33am On Sep 30, 2014
GodMode:

I concur with you and I dove my cap. I spoke from the Nigeria context initially because we often confuse schooling with education. Thanks bro!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by GodMode: 3:35am On Sep 30, 2014
msmon:

School: is an institution for instruction in a skill or business.

Education: is the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
Education: Is the act or process of acquiring knowledge.

Source: freedictionary-dot--com, dictionary--dot--com

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by AlexisM16: 3:36am On Sep 30, 2014
Starbank: like seriously you lack manner of approach.

Manner of approach? Do you even know what that means?
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by mailadedamola(m): 3:42am On Sep 30, 2014
To be able to read and comment to your post
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 3:43am On Sep 30, 2014
GodMode:

School: is an institution for instruction in a skill or business.

Education: is the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
Education: Is the act or process of acquiring knowledge.

Source: freedictionary-dot--com, dictionary--dot--com

You maybe interested in this topic www.nairaland.com/1926245/teaching-job-why-detest-it
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by coronaprof(m): 3:43am On Sep 30, 2014
s social factors c common sense h health benefit o organisation o orientation l love
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by msmon(m): 3:45am On Sep 30, 2014
nassyblue: The educational system here particularly in nigeria is over hyped. School is preached as having excessive benefits. Meanwhile in the world, its much more difficult. You find dropouts and entrepreneurs who didn't see the four walls of school even employing the so-called graduates. So to me education and learning is a personal thing, shouldn't be stereotyped to four walls of some large building. Discover yourself, your passions. Delve into into. Learn about it passionately. The internet alone is a better school than most of our universities here... Take advantage of it and be a better person. Thanks.

www.nairaland.com/1926245/teaching-job-why-detest-it
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by millionboi(m): 4:00am On Sep 30, 2014
Just 4d Ego
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by aminho(m): 4:18am On Sep 30, 2014
well to be civilised you don't have to be educated that's all I can say
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by generaliy07(m): 4:20am On Sep 30, 2014
#LEAD1.0

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by tosyne2much(m): 4:28am On Sep 30, 2014
As we know we are in a society where lack of education renders one useless. Aside the Naija man money making mentality grin , we go to school for different reasons best known to us. However, education is believed to be the bedrock of success. The thought of education and its impacts in the society makes you enthusiastic about it. Education increases your chance of being successful because it makes you thinks from a wide range of view and makes you take advantage of opportunities
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by tosyne2much(m): 4:38am On Sep 30, 2014
aminho: well to be civilised you don't have to be educated that's all I can say
Broda I dont agree with you.. Do a statistics, The ratio of the civilized educated outweigh that of the uneducated civilized
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Afam4eva(m): 4:42am On Sep 30, 2014
Most Nigerians go to school to become financially independent. Whoever tells you that they go to school acquire knowledge is right but that's not the entire story. What will the knowledge be used for if not to earn some money in paid employment.

History has shown that the brigtes students in class don't usually becoming the richest in life. They usually end up working for those guys that are not brilliant according to school parameters but are smart. Mavericks rule this world and if you're not a maverick, there's a certain level that you can get to.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by virginboy1(m): 4:43am On Sep 30, 2014
Education is the key while school is the lock.

Exam is society way of telling you,who you are
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by alnaijiri(m): 4:50am On Sep 30, 2014
It's true: secular education without a proper training in Islam, the religion of the One True God, is utterly useless and a waste of time.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by alnaijiri(m): 4:51am On Sep 30, 2014
optimumprimus: did you know that no one should have to work? we have have vast fertile lands and machinery to mass produce surplus healthy food and clothing for everyone in the world.
everything you were taught as a child is a lie. the truth is;no one really has to work except willingly volunteer their skills,talent and ideas to the society. all humans are entitled to free healthy food,clothing and shelter . plus ,religion is a fraud(although God exist).

what the hell is this : y = a(x-h)^2 + k
24 = a(0 - 3)^2 + 6
18 = a(9)
a = 2
only the basics of life such as Woodworking,agriculture,biology,sociology and practical mechanics should be taught in school . only practicals should be taught and demonstrated for better understanding . this means that every human who ever stepped foot in high school will know how construct a wooden furniture,build a house,grow food,and build a bicycle or automobile.

why isn't cigarette,candy,cookies and other processed food banned? why don't we extinct mosquitoes, sandflies, crocodiles and venomous reptiles which causes 1.5 million deaths each year?

Product of a failed education. Simpleton unfit for civilisation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAMB 2018 Candidates With Pending Result Issues – Get In Here / Asian Education: Better Than Western Education? / Unad 2011/2012 Postume & Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.