Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Why Do We Go To School? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Go To School? (15649 Views)

Nursery School In Calabar Flogs Parents For Bringing Their Kids Late To School / The Risk Students Take In Warri To Get To School (Photo) / 12-Year-Old Girl Takes $20,000 To School In The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by bedfordng(m): 12:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
DJMONACO: school is for the poor .School is a means to an end .That end? money.Do the rich go to school? yes.Why? only to get a degree, for the pride .If u want to get rich dont depend only on school.Be creative.Get financial plans.Be an enterpreneur
school is for everyone.if bill gate was born in a thick forest without going to school to learn how to read and write be it in any language,no one to teach him apart from his parents,no technology to look out for or learn from television,no internet to learn from,just him and his parents living in the cave.i will see if he would have gotten to where he his today.at least basic education must be given to the child and going to school is part of it.give birth to a child and don't send your child to school and see the result.the word financial,entrepreneur,creative, tell me, how did you learn how to write such words.or immediately they gave birth to you,you started writing right from womb.guess you went to school to learn how to read and write
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by robinsoncrusoe(m): 12:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
People mistake school for education, there are people who schooled without education, in a family tree, hard work and education are brothers but school is a distant relative

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by bedfordng(m): 1:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
butanep: I ve been asking myself this simple question... Education is a means of acquiring knowledge and the school is like a platform where the knowledge is acquired.
The simple reason of going to school is to acquired knowledge, so we can earn a better life in the society. We go to school so we can get a good job with fat salaries, raise a better family... etc
Going to school is good but the idea behind it becomes a problem. " I ve not seen where a parent tell the kid to go to school so he\ she could become an entrepreneur or employer of labours but it's always go to school to get a good job. So at the end of the day, when people graduate from school without this good job, they become frustrated, disappointed and disorganized. This is the main reason we have thousands of unemployed graduates in the street...
Education is only a means to an ends but never an end... so one can go to school and become educated and still be poor... it all depends on how much we have to offer and how determined and focused we pursue our goals...
I simply went to school because, it's the societal norm that if I didn't go to school, I will become a less privilege in the society. So for me not to be and also be recognized in the society, my parents strive for me to go to school...
It is very necessary we go to school
just what i wanted to hear from some one.school is not certificate and certificate is not school.basic education is a necessity for everyone.like you said,the norm of the society made believed that only when you go to school you become somebody but do you know that even a work shop where people learn to do things is also school,hair dressing saloon where some girls do learn how to dress hair is also a school,a taylor who learnt how to sew cloths from some ones shop went to school in that shop.so when we talk about school,its not necessarily that it must be higher instititution like the society made us to believe but one thing still remains the fact, we all need basic education and going school is part of it,certificate is not school and school is not all about the certificate.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by timothyuche1(m): 1:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
robinsoncrusoe: People mistake school for education, there are people who schooled without education, in a family tree, hard work and education are brothers but school is a distant relative
You are right

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Dcmg(m): 1:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
If to say na just me,i no for go school o{University to be precise}
It was by force because of my parent and the society expectations.
I knew right from secondary school that i always wanted to build a business and be my own boss,finding/getting a job was a "NO" for me.
The kind of knowledge i gather from the internet and books is by far more valuable than what any lecturer ever taught me.
Today i make my money and my so called degree has nothing to do with it,i havn't used my certificate for anything.So i would say time and money i used for school was a complete waste.Like seriously i should have invested 4 years in Something better.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Hempe(m): 1:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
Being educated helps u to identify properly ur potential and personal skills, thus preparing u for the future. My personal view...... cool
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by DJMONACO(m): 1:22pm On Sep 30, 2014
bedfordng: school is for everyone.if bill gate was born in a thick forest without going to school to learn how to read and write be it in any language,no one to teach him apart from his parents,no technology to look out for or learn from television,no internet to learn from,just him and his parents living in the cave.i will see if he would have gotten to where he his today.at least basic education must be given to the child and going to school is part of it.give birth to a child and don't send your child to school and see the result.the word financial,entrepreneur,creative, tell me, how did you learn how to write such words.or immediately they gave birth to you,you started writing right from womb.guess you went to school to learn how to read and write
I meant tertiary education.I still believe basic education is necessary.
Again, B.Gates didnt need tertiary education(am sure u know) to become what he is today.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
AlexisM16: What warranted this foo..lish question in the middle of the night?

Oga...d question is not foolish
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by smartoliver(m): 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2014
Although one can make a lot of money by working during the times he/she spends at school..this question is the "MOST STUPIDEST"question Ever....
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Dcmg(m): 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
optimumprimus: living in harmony with nature and loving your fellow human beings as you love yourself is civilized.

no more wars ,religion,diseases, starvation,malnourishment , crime ,homelessness,overpopulation,junk harmful food and products.
surplus free healthy food for everyone on earth, free clothing and shelter ,having fewer kids,volunteers who derive joy to make this all happen. that is civilized.
Kai,your head is very Sane.We have few people like you in this world.If Everybody knew his/her purpose in life,we would have fewer problems.
The so called society are busy forcing and brainwashing people to do what doesn't bring inner fulfilment to them

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ZERKNICHTER(m): 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
beeing good in schoold dont means someone will have what it takes to be sucessfull in live but to get a good job on a job market with strong oversupply, its necessary to have a good looking curriculum vitae

good marks in school or university are no prove for good woking skills but how else emplovers sould decide who to hire when the school/university degree is everything they know about job candidates?

we are not living in small viliges anymore where everybody knows everybody

beeing a sucessfluss buinessman is a differnt story because you dont need to proof your skills to somebody bevor getting the chance to prove yourself
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by alnaijiri(m): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2014
optimumprimus: human beings are not civilized. I think you are just ignorant .you think overpass,skyscrapers,neon lights ,mcdonalds burger and fries means humans are civilized?
ants are more civilized than human beings.human beings should learn from ants in order to make the world a better.

You really should step outside of your parents' home and look for a job instead of trolling on NL.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by DJMONACO(m): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2014
smartoliver: Although one can make a lot of money by working during the times he/she spends at school..this question is the "MOST STUPIDEST"question Ever....
why comment on stupid posts.ure also stupid.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by whoawa(m): 1:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
As a young boy after my SSCE, I didn't know why people go to school until problem of getting admission hit me bad.

Both of my parents are senior staff at NNAMDI AZIKWE UNI, but dey couldn't secure admission for me due to one problem or another for 3yrs

To make the story short a friend advised me to apply for jamb poly, as God may have it i was offered admission to study COMPUTER ENGINEERING at federal polytechnic OKO.

A night to school resumption as I was parking my luggages my father came to me and gave me this pieces of advice

The aim of going to is ......
1) To achieve success in Education (u don't need to be the best in the class but try get a good grade)

2)To make good friends (good friends helps a lot after school in many ways both in getting information and contact)

3) That success is in the student not at institution (whether college of Education, poly or university u can be whatever u want to be)

Believe me the above 3 has helped me a lot, that is why I went to school

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by bisayor(m): 2:09pm On Sep 30, 2014
msmon: I will comment later!

Modified:

@OP, you asked 'why do I go to school'?. I will answer by telling you it's just to have education believing that it will be the benchmark for me to be successful in life. Like you rightly said, our parents has made us to believe that but we later find out it's not totally right.

We often confuse 'Schooling' with 'Knowledge', but it's has been discover that some people may have education without been knowledgeable and it brings to mind the debate of 'Brilliance VS. Intelligence'.

In conclusion, I thank God I had education because I read my way through to discover some fault in some of the things our parents told us back then and I have come to realise that there are two things that shape our destiny and define our future, 1) the choice we make and 2) our commitment towards that choice.

I submit!
rightly said!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by uchdollar111: 2:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
To get educated and change the world.Anyway, why
don't you check out
www.myeventsgallery.com and sign up
before the official launch party!
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
MORNDEW: School is meant to rid people of ignorance and prepare dem for d future. The former is d most reason because when ignorance i dealt with, it opens the door for opportunity. Many suffer today becos of ignorance. Unfortunately our educational system does nt hv the curriculum to fight ignorance, illiteracy and bad attitude, hence, the kind of ignorance and stupidity being exibited here on Nairaland by many.
jwd monkey on da 3piece n tie sweatin'profusely in da arsse,dahell u tryna sound like on here,mojo?
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Philadelphia: 3:59pm On Sep 30, 2014
smartoliver: Although one can make a lot of money by working during the times he/she spends at school..this question is the "MOST STUPIDEST" question Ever....
It's vital for people like you because from your statement @ bolded, you never saw a school's gate. No vex please.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by kika23(f): 4:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
It all ends in... Making money.... And knowing stuff... But it's all about making money...

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Olusanya333(m): 4:28pm On Sep 30, 2014
1. because my parent won't allow person rest at home
2. God bless me with the facility to execute it cool
3. For the fun of it cheesy
4. To escape home boredom embarassed
5. change environment grin
6. Meet new people wink
7 See new things smiley
8 For brain competition cool
9 For scholarship cool
10 To actually become who God wants me to become cool
Think this is enough for now..........will come with more later grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, OP why u come they ask this JAMB question na? undecided undecided
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by bedfordng(m): 4:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
DJMONACO:
I meant tertiary education.I still believe basic education is necessary.
Again, B.Gates didnt need tertiary education(am sure u know) to become what he is today.
now you are talking.everyone is not meant to go to higher institution to make it in life but we all need basic education to fit into the society of today.glad you specified it
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by jdilight(m): 5:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
To be a potential money magnet.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by MORNDEW(m): 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
Rexxie:
jwd monkey on da 3piece n tie sweatin'profusely in da arsse,dahell u tryna sound like on here,mojo?
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
To cultivate the habit of learning.

That is the best thing I took from school.
If anybody graduates from school without having developed that habit, then all the money spent on their education was a waste.
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by ebukaOtika(m): 8:15pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ahn ahn ,,,, see Jamb Question o ,,.,,. Na to learn how to *Lead and *Lite fa
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Ubechu1(m): 8:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
@OP i think I went to school to make out something in life as a whole. If there were no schools, hmmmm... I think the world would have been so underdeveloped... think about it...
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by philipobiz: 8:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
Olutola88: The commonest reason for going to school is to have a secured future; Get a noble job with your degree, have good work environment, access to better healthcare, good retirement package etc. This applies not only to Nigerians but also to people all over the world.

At one point or the other, our parents reminded us of how important it is for us to face our studies so as to become great in life. I remember vividly one of the most popular Yoruba songs we sang in primary school: “Bata re a dun ko ko ka, bi o ba ka we re, bata re a dun ko ko ka, Ti o ko ba kawe re, bata re a wo sherere ni le e”. Meaning: “If you take your studies seriously, you will get to wear the most elegant office Shoes but if you do not read your books, you will be roaming the streets in bathroom slippers all your life”.

Then, we were all made to believe that the most brilliant students in class had the brightest future and that the ones that weren't academically sound were in trouble. The brainiacs were on top of the world, loved by all, enjoyed preferential treatment from teachers, classmates always wanted them to have a taste of whatever food they brought from home, classmates always shared everything with the brightest kid in class because everyone wanted to be friends with the young boy/girl with the BRIGHT FUTURE.

Whenever we were asked what we wanted to become in future, none of us wanted to be Teachers. Have you ever asked yourself why we never wanted to be Teachers? It's simply because even as kids, we knew the Teaching profession was not among the most lucrative. We all wanted to be Medical Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Bankers, Pilots etc. As fate would have it many of us are teachers today not because we wanted it but because of the killing rate of unemployment. The teaching job seems to be one of the easiest to get and trust me, it still remains one of the worst-paid jobs. Some University graduates earn as low as 15,000 naira monthly as Teachers.

Where are the best 5 students in your class while in primary school and secondary school? Did they end up having BRIGHT FUTURE? In fact, I can't count the number of people that have told me that I have a bright future(especially girls). Some of them even dated me for that reason. I just hope the “You have a bright future” slogan isn't a scam because the future is almost here. *lmao*. Even if I'm not fooled by the numerous “you have a bright future” gists I've heard from people, I still believe with GOD I have a VERY BRIGHT FUTURE *winks.

Do Primary school and High school students of today still have that our archaic orientation? Are they still made to believe that Education should be mainly for you to secure a decent job? Do they need to be reoriented? Should we teach them better benefits of Education?

As for me, I will call a spade a spade and not an instrument for digging; I WENT TO SCHOOL BECAUSE I WAS BORN IN A SOCIETY WHERE WE WERE MADE TO BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL AND HAVE GOOD GRADES TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

WHY DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL?

I went to school for the same reason that you gave. From experience going to school does not secure you a bright future. Going to school only enslave you - working for others and enriching them at your expense and wasting your economic life untill you are retired if you are lucky not to be sacked before then. Some might dis agree with me, but the fact is if you had made so much money working you will end up becoming poor if you dont learn the art of making money which is not and will never be taught in school
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by Amokwe(m): 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2014
I think you should read the book- RICH DAD & POOR DAD
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by smartoliver(m): 12:00am On Oct 03, 2014
Philadelphia:
It's vital for people like you because from your statement @ bolded, you never saw a school's gate. No vex please.
I nor dey vex,maybe u're just sharing ur experience
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by maxy097(m): 11:39am On Oct 05, 2014
Bolgra2008:
We go to schoool to learn how to take Claro........
grin grin
Hi pls follow back
Re: Why Do We Go To School? by TommyB3: 6:41pm On Jul 17, 2021
I think we have no choice but to go to school, (if we don't want to go our parents are waiting for us with a good punishment XD), but the point of going to school is to be able to acquire knowledge and adequate academic training, which increases the chances of improving the quality of life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University / How Much Does It Cost To Take The SAT Test In Nigeria? / Asian Education: Better Than Western Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.